Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Sun and Shadow  by sheraiah

 Disclaimer: I don’t own them; I’ll return them unharmed and hopefully happier.


Link to unedited version of this chapter available upon request.


**************************************************************************

             

                                                 By the time the meal had been consumed, Elrond had concluded that Thranduil and Valilis were as good a match as he and Celebrian were. He certainly had never seen Thranduil in as buoyant a mood as he had been during the meal.  Valilis had held her own with both Thranduil and Elrond himself, impressing the lord of Imladris no small amount. That she could hold fast against two rather formidable elves boded well for her in her relationship with the notoriously iron-willed Thranduil. Elrond knew from experience that it was best if one’s mate was not shy about standing up for themselves. He caught Celebrian’s eye and she nodded imperceptibly, telling him without words that she approved of the pairing. Deciding that he wished to hear her observations, he cleared his throat gaining the attention of the other two.


                                                   “Would anyone care for dessert and more wine?” At their ready concurrence, he rose. “Would you be so kind as to aid me, my lady?” he asked, smiling at Celebrian. She nodded decorously, took his offered hand and accompanied him up to the talan. After they had passed from sight, Thranduil shot an amused look at Valilis.


                                                   “He is usually a bit more subtle than that. You do realize of course that they are comparing notes even as we speak?” She frowned, puzzled.


                                                   “Comparing notes about us? Why?” Thranduil’s amused look became a grin.


                                                 “My heart, even now Lord Celeborn is paying a visit to your family in his capacity as my closest relative present. Being so recently wed themselves, Elrond and Celebrian cannot help but try to assist things along by adding their favorable opinions to Celeborn’s.” Valilis’ eyebrows almost met her hairline.


                                                  “So that is what she is about! I had wondered. Well, I will accept all help I can get if it hastens me to you,” she stated decisively and he could not resist stealing a quick kiss.


**************************************************************************


                                                   “Well, tell me your thoughts.” Elrond glanced at his wife as he set clean bowls and utensils on the tray next to the unopened bottle of wine and light pastries filled with berries.


                                                   “I think her parents must be convinced to agree to the shortest betrothal possible.” She wore a mischievous smile. He raised an eyebrow, urging her to continue. “They will never last out the year. Illuvatar knows we did not.” The statement produced an equally mischievous smile from him.


                                                   “I have never regretted it, not even when your father found out.” He smiled, and then grimaced a bit at the memory. Celeborn’s reaction had not been pleasant. He relaxed and smiled again as her arms encircled his waist and she molded herself to his back. He met her gaze over his shoulder then started as her hands moved lower. She smiled lasciviously at him, her hands busy moving his robes aside and unlacing his breeches. His head dropped back and his neck arched in pleasure as her hands reached their goal. He had to force himself to focus enough to speak. “As much as I am enjoying this, my love, we must remember that we do have guests waiting for us.”


                                                  “Oh, I am certain that they can entertain themselves for a bit. We shall just have to be quick about this.” She moved to stand between him and the table, ducking under the arm that was braced on the table’s edge, her hands barely pausing in their task. “At least the table is higher than the desk in your study. You will not have to bend down so much.” Freeing one hand, she slid it up his chest and over his shoulder to cup the back of his head and pulled him down into a passionate kiss.  He groaned, lifting her and turning to brace her back against the wall of the talan. She gave him a brief look of desire-hazed surprise.


                                                 “The table is still too short and besides, how would we explain the dessert getting crushed.” He explained in a voice made breathless with need.


                                                 A bit later, Elrond rested his brow against hers, his eyes closed and his breathing ragged, his body still shuddering with the aftershocks of their shared climax. Once his breathing had calmed, he kissed her eyelids and eased her onto her feet, steadying her when her knees wobbled. Her lashes lifted and she gazed up at him, a contented smile playing across her lips. He returned her smile, lowering his head until their noses touched.


                                               “I am the most fortunate of elves, my love.” His lips grazed her cheek, then her ear. Her hand brushed his ear tip and then smoothed his raven hair.


                                                “Nay, I am,” she replied meeting his lips in a long, passionate kiss. He reluctantly broke the kiss and rested his lips against her forehead.


                                                “We really should go back down to the gardens. We are neglecting our guests in the most shocking manner.” She could feel his smile on her brow.


                                                 “Yes, they will wonder what has become of us.” His chuckled response drew a slight glare from Celebrian.


 
                                                 “Valilis might, but Thranduil is certainly no innocent and I very much doubt that he will fail to read the signs of our activities.” She blushed a bit, the raised her chin defiantly.


                                                “Well, then so what if he does? We are married and the last I was aware, married couples do indulge in intimacy on occasion.” He laughed outright.


                                                 “Yes, they do but not usually with guests waiting for their dessert in the garden.” She whirled to glare at him, caught the glint of humor in his eye and laughed.


                                                  “Well, I must do such things to keep you from becoming too serious.” He grinned, looking for all of Arda like a mischievous elfling.


                                                 “I foresee regular fits of seriousness in our future,” he replied. Peals of laughter were her response as she went to make signs of their activities less apparent. After both were restored more or less to their pre-tryst condition, they ascended from the talan, dessert and wine in hand. Elrond and Celebrian exchanged amused grins at the sight they met upon entering the garden.  Thranduil and Valilis were seated on a bench near the far edge of the garden. She was tucked tightly to his side, his arm draped around her and her head resting on his shoulder as she gazed up into his face. His free hand stroked her hair, tucking stray strands behind her ear as he spoke to her. His face was far more expressive than Elrond had ever seen it; the impassive mask he normally wore had vanished completely. Both were unaware of their hosts’ return and Elrond and Celebrian hesitated, loathe to interrupt the tender moment. Inevitably, Thranduil sensed their presence and rose from the bench, drawing Valilis with him and moved back to the table. If he had noted that their absence was prolonged, he made no comment.


                                                When Celeborn entered the garden a few minutes later, the four were deep in a discussion about the coming feast. He stood in the vine covered archway that served as an entrance to the garden and observed them for a moment before continuing to the table. Valilis tried to rise from her seat, but he waved her back.


                                                 “No need, hen [child]. Please stay in your seat and finish your meal.” He turned at that point to accept his daughter’s embrace before addressing Thranduil and Valilis. “I have come from visiting your parents, Valilis and I am very pleased to report that they have agreed to the betrothal. Will you exchange the rings at the feast tonight?” His eyes reflected his amusement at the relieved grin on Thranduil’s face and the tears of joy on Valilis’.


                                                  “What do you say, ‘Lilis?” Thranduil was a bit perplexed to see her tears. “Valilis?”  She smiled through her tears and nodded emphatically. He gave her a look of amused annoyance as he reached out and gently dried her tears.  “You are told that your parents agree to the betrothal and you cry. I think I should be offended.” She laughed, as he had intended, and playfully smacked him on the arm.


                                                “Stop that, you orc, or I shall not give you that nice silver ring this evening. Speaking of this evening, it is getting late and if we are to exchange rings at the feast, we will need to acquire them first.” Thranduil’s smug expression made her pause. “Out with it, Thranduil. You are looking far too full of yourself not to be up to something.”  They all looked up at the sound of Celeborn‘s laughter.


                                             
                                                 “Thranduil, I do believe that you have indeed met your match. As it happens, Valilis your intended has already requested my assistance on that matter and the rings in question will be delivered to your respective talans within the next couple of hours.” Celeborn allowed his satisfaction with the outcome of his task to show openly on his face. “And now I must ask you to excuse me, I have much to see to before the feast. I shall look forward to seeing you all again this evening.” With a slight bow and a farewell embrace from his daughter, Celeborn departed. Valilis left immediately after Celeborn, declaring that she needed all the time she could get to make herself presentable. Thranduil made a pointed remark about certain couples needing time alone, eliciting a blush from Celebrian and a grin from Elrond, and excused himself as well.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List