Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Are You Going To Leave Me?  by Llinos

Éowyn stirred and her eyes fluttered open. Aragorn, having bathed the maid's forehead and stricken arm with sweet athelas water, drew back and nodded to Éomer to take his place.

"Éowyn? Éowyn, beloved sister," he took her cold hand in his, "never was I more relieved to see you awaken!"

"Éomer? How did I come to be here?" Éowyn blinked again as one trying to shake off an overlong slumber, "I dreamt that all were slain! You, the King, Aragorn."

"Alas Théoden King is passed," Éomer bowed his head. "But he was brought to his end by a mighty foe."

"I remember," Éowyn's brow furrowed slightly as the wavering impressions in her mind coalesced into a memory. "It was the Black Captain that slew our Uncle."

"And you in turn dealt him a mighty blow," Aragorn spoke from behind Éomer, "even to the death. It was a valiant deed my Lady."

"But, I was not alone," Éowyn tried to clasp Éomer's hand, but her icy fingers would not furl around his. "I was helped in my fight. I could not have triumphed over that foul abomination – not without his help! What happened to him? Éomer you must find him!"

"Find who?" Éomer gently soothed his sister's brow. "There was no other, do not fret, you are safe now."

"I know the prophecy of old, Milady," Aragorn stepped forward to smile down at the troubled maid. "And it has come to pass as Glorfindel foretold, 'not by the hand of man will he fall'. You, and you alone, have slain the Witch-king of Angmar, for no man could have laid sword upon him."

"Not man," Éowyn persisted, "Merry, it was the holbytla who struck the blow that saved me." She began to weep bitterly, "and now I have deserted him to his death! What have I done?"

"Merry?" Éomer was startled. "But he was forbidden by Théoden to ride with us, and how could he strike such an adversary? He is little more than a child. Do not grieve sister; your wounds have made you dream evil happenings. I am sure Merry is safe."

"I know that somehow Merry was in the battle," Aragorn laid a hand on Éomer's shoulder. "Gandalf sees much, but says little, but that is the errand on which he sent Pippin – to seek for his cousin on the Pelennor Fields."

"I took him," Éowyn whispered through her tears, "Our uncle forbade it, but he was determined and now he is lost! What dreadful deed have I done? Éomer, he saved my life. Without him I could not have delivered the final blow. "

"This is strange news indeed!" Éomer turned to Aragorn, seeking validation, "how could one so small fight in such a great battle, and against such a mighty foe?"

"Do not underestimate the fortitude of the halflings," Aragorn assured both brother and sister, "the entire fate of Middle-earth now rests with two such halflings. If we were to lose faith in Frodo and Sam, then all is lost. I am sure Merry has survived, for Gandalf would not have sent Pippin to find him were it not so."

"Then I must renew my faith," Éomer placed his other hand on his sister's, rubbing it gently in the hope of restoring some warmth. "But she is still so cold!"

"Rest now Éowyn, and awake to hope and health." Aragorn moved away, beckoning Éomer to follow him. "I have the power to heal her body, but if she falls into despair then she will die, unless other healing comes which I cannot bring."

Aragorn spoke no more but silently left the chamber, leaving Éomer to return to his grieving sister.

"I have no hope," Éowyn sighed bitterly, watching Aragorn leave. "All that I wished for is beyond reach and my life counts for nothing."

"Please dear sister," Éomer's spirit was chilled by Aragorn's words and Éowyn's despair. "Do not grieve for that which is lost, nor yearn for him who is pledged to another. You must believe that your heart can be mended."

"It cannot," Éowyn closed her eyes. "I had hoped to find death upon the field of battle, and death I found, but not my own. There is nothing left for me. Even the valiant halfling, entrusted to my care, is lost."

"No!" Éomer dropped his sister's hand and stood, reaching for his helm and sword. "What little I can mend, will be mended! I will find Merry and he shall be paid the honour due to him."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List