Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Blessing  by Pearl Took

A Fond Farewell

The small familiar figure of the Ernil i Pheriannath and his golden dog were seen early in the morning hurrying about the streets of the White City. He carried with him a prettily wrapped parcel which was bound with ribbons tied in bows. He went to every orphanage in the city, only to be disappointed in his search. In the end, he sat beside the fountain where, had he remembered the event, he first met Sunshine. He dabbled his fingers in the cool water as he had on that other day when his mind had not yet returned to him.

He now had but one hour’s time left for this mission before he would be leaving the great city of Minas Tirith behind him. Pippin had to be back at the Citadel to help make the final preparations for the King’s first journey as the leader of his people. All was nearly in place for the royal entourage to begin its slow ride to Rohan for the funeral of King Theoden and in two hours the horns would sound their departure. After paying their respects to the fallen king, the Elves of Rivendell and the Hobbits of the Shire would continue northward to the Last Homely House, then, after a short visit with Bilbo, the Hobbits would at last head homeward.

“Where is she?” Pippin sighed to himself. “She really ought to be somewhere, Sunshine. I shall have to have a talk with Strider, while we’re on our journey to Rohan. Better care needs to be taken to keep track of the city’s orphans.”

His eyes and left hand came to rest on the parcel that sat beside him on the short wall that held the fountain’s water as he thought over his morning’s search.

**************************

He had gone first to the orphanage in the sixth circle, the one Madam Talaitha ran, she being the lady the little waif had said gave her a new doll and threw Feva on the trash heap.

“I haven’t seen that girl in nearly a month, sir,” the kind faced old woman had said. “Well, no. That isn’t right either. She was here two weeks ago for a few days. She spent all of the time sitting with a boy who was ill. Poor dear child, he left this life and little Mallefinnros was gone the next morning. It was as though she had come just to ease his passing.”

“You mean the little girl with the reddish hair?” asked the man who ran a large orphanage on the second level of the city. “Odd child, that one, but kindly. She was a help she was, being useful with the ones as were injured during the dark times. Always helping them learn to do things for themselves and giving them hope. They all liked that she loved that broken old doll of hers so dearly.” He shook his head sadly. “I kept hoping she was settled here, but every time she showed up she would leave again.”

Outside the orphanage on the south side of the fourth circle there were children playing in the bright sun of the morning. They all grew quiet and stopped their games when they saw the livery of a Citadel Guard on the person approaching them, but that turned to shouts of joy when they realized it was the Ernil i Pheriannath. They all crowded around the knight of the realm who was barely taller than many of them and shorter than some of them. Several began to pet and hug Sunshine.

“Hello,” Pippin said cheerily. “Are you having fun this morning?”

A chorus of yeses answered his question.

“I was wondering if any of you know where I might find Mallefinnros, if you know of her that is. She is about my height with long red-gold hair.”

“I know her,” replied a lad with a crutch and no foot at the end of his right leg. “She spent time with me helping me to walk well with my crutch. She showed me I can use it to kick a ball and now the lads want me on their team when we play.” His smile faded. “I have not seen her in a while, sir.”

“She talked about some children she knew in the other orphanage in this level of the city that faces out over the great gates.” A little girl spoke up. “She mended my doll’s dress for me.” She held the doll up for the small knight to see. “Perhaps she is there, sir.”

“My thanks to you all,” Pippin bowed and went on his way.

Outside the other fourth circle orphanage, Pippin again spoke with the children who were playing outside and again most knew Mallefinnros, but none knew where she could be found.

He had started to walk away when a voice hailed him.

“Sir! Sir! A moment of your time.”

Pippin approached the elderly woman who sat in the shade before a very small house. He could tell that she was blind.

“I know the little girl you are asking after, sir knight.”

Pippin’s brows drew together, crinkling the skin above his nose. “You know I’m a knight?”

“I hear the clinking of your mail and sword, and the children would only grow so quiet in the presence of a man of high rank. Many had fathers who were soldiers and a mere soldier does not bring them to such attention.”

“I could just be a Guard of the Citadel.”

“They would have called you by rank or called you “Guard”. The oldest of the lads addressed you as “sir”.” She smiled a sly smile. “I see very well with my ears young knight of Gondor. In fact because your voice is so near to my ears and I heard no tread of boot-heels, I know you to be the perian our new King knighted. Sir Peregrin Took, the Ernil i Pheriannath of the Shire.”

Pippin smiled broadly and bowed to the woman. “You see well with your ears, madam. You know Mallefinnros?”

“Indeed. A special one is she. A child with the wisdom of the ages in her words. I felt a special joy in her that is unlike any other I have felt. I . . .” The old woman paused as a wistful look softened her wrinkled face. “I could almost see her.”

For a moment, Pippin could feel the presence of the little girl as he had felt it when they had met at the trash heap. Then with a sigh from the blind lady’s lips the moment was gone.

“I think, sir knight, you will not find her. She will find you if your need calls to her.”

“Perhaps, madam, you are right. But I shall continue my search nonetheless. Thank you and bless you.” Pippin lifted and kissed one of her frail hands as Sunshine nuzzled the other, then the pair headed off toward another of the city’s orphanages.

*********************

Pippin smacked the water of the fountain as he drew in a deep breath, then he let it out in a sigh. “We’ve been to all six orphanages this morning, Sunshine, and it seems totally unreasonable that they all knew of Mallefinnros but then said she had not lived in their particular orphanage for any length of time. They all talked of how she would be there a few days and then be gone, only to be there once again several days or weeks later.” Pippin again sighed deeply. “That simply isn’t right.”

Had the young hobbit been watching his dog instead of the ripples caused by his fingers trailing though the water, he would have seen Sunshine suddenly perk up and stare at a street that opened into the far side of the square to Pippin’s left.

Pippin jumped at a voice beside him.

“Hello Pippin. Hello Sunshine.”

Mallefinnros stood there, her right hand patting Sunshine’s silken head while two dolls hung over her left arm. Pippin knew the one doll to be Feva, even though her appearance had somewhat changed. Her hair had been combed out and was tied back with a piece of coarse string; the grimy spots had been washed off of her cracked face showing the faint blush that was painted on her cheeks. The other doll was obviously Sister, the new doll Madam Talaitha had given to Mallefinnros. Her dress was plain but new and clean. She had all her limbs and her black hair was neat and shiny.

Pippin shook the water from his fingers then wiped them dry on his trousers. “Hello Mallefinnros. Hello Feva, and this must be Sister. Very nice to meet you Sister,” he cordially said as he took each doll’s hand between his thumb and forefinger to give it a small shake. He then took the little girl’s hand from the top of Sunshine’s head and gave it a feather soft kiss.

“Your hand is stronger!” she exclaimed with glee.

“Yes, it is,” Pippin said rather bashfully. Then his tone became stern, though not harsh; his expression was one of concern. “I’ve been looking all over for you, Mallefinnros.”

He looked into her eyes intending to more strongly make his point, but found he was struck silent instead. He had looked into her eyes before, the only other time they had met, but he had not felt their pull as strongly then. She had not allowed it, as he had been weaker then.

“I needed to be a lot of places, Pippin,” she whispered.

Pippin heard her as much with his mind as with his ears. A thrill ran through him. He had felt something like this touch on his spirit before when talking to Merry’s mother and a few of his other Took relatives and when the Lady Galadriel had searched his heart in Lorien. Yet this was different. More like how he had felt when Gandalf called him back from the horror and despair of the palantir.

“I could not care only for you when there were so many little ones needing cheer. I hope Sunshine has cared for you well in my stead.”

The voice was no longer a child’s. Joy and sorrow, abandon and restraint, wisdom and innocence mingled together in a voice that seemed to come up from the mountain the city was built upon.

He suddenly felt smaller than he usually did in the huge city of Men. “I’ve the feeling my gift is amiss,” he sadly said, his eyes still held fast by hers.

“No gift is ever amiss and Mallefinnros is as much who I am as any other guise I’ve taken. What is your gift to me?”

He held the parcel out to her. She took it with her delicate hands then gently began untying the ribbons.

“Oh!” she gasped, delight shining upon her youthful features. “New clothes for Feva and Sister! Look, lasses!”

She held the dolls over the opened wrapping paper so they could see. There were two matching nightgowns, white as clouds, soft as down and all frilly with lace. Two everyday dresses, one in pink and one yellow that were otherwise the same in every detail. And last, two matching fancy gowns, in the style worn by Queen Arwen herself, in the rich sable and silver of Gondor. There were also three small black slippers; Feva would only need one. Mallefinnros had the two dolls hug each other in joy.

“The ribbons binding the parcel are for their hair,” Pippin shyly added. “But as I said, I fear the gift is poorly given.” Again their eyes met but this time, Pippin did not let himself become as lost in them. “I fear your dolls are but a trapping and . . . well . . .” He let his gaze fall. “What need have you for dolls?”

Her smile filled her words. “You have no idea how old dear Feva is, my child.”

Pippin looked up. His mouth hung open with surprise and she laughed merrily.

“Sister is new, given to me by Madam Talaitha as I told you before. I told you the truth about Feva as well. She was a gift from those who nurtured me and ever will they be special to me. She is the symbol of my calling to help the hurting peoples of Arda.”

Her innocent joyful laughter filled Pippin’s heart and his own laughter joined it. He felt better, perhaps, than he had ever felt before.

“You gave from your own joy and love. An innocent heart never forgets the blessing of toys in the life of a child.” Mallefinnros kissed his forehead. “Go with my blessing upon you and those you love. Face your battles with the joy that is in you. Serve your king and kin well.”

As though waking from a deep refreshing sleep, Pippin blinked several times, shook his head, and glanced about the square. Other than himself and Sunshine, it was empty.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List