Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

I Would Have Loved You Anyway  by Coreinha

Disclaimer: I don't own any recognisable characters or settings, they all belong to Tolkien. I don't own this song, it belongs to Trisha Yearwood, or whoever owns the rights. I'm not making any money from either.

A/N: This bunny has been nibbling at my ears for quite some time now, so I finally decided to write it, so I wouldn't go crazy! Not that I wasn't ALREADY crazy!

A quick thanks to Eleni and Lily who both Beta'd, I really appreciate it ladies :)

Summary: Songfic, Final Farewells' trilogy, pt 1 Elrond bids his family farewell, just before he sails for Valinor. *Warning* Bring some kleenex

Archive: sure, just ask

Spoilers: yes, for Return of the King (but you knew it would all happen anyway, so I don't want to hear any complaints)

"" denotes speech

'' denotes thoughts

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

Elrond paced the shoreline anxiously, behind him was the boat that would carry him away from Middle Earth for all eternity, before him, his family.

Arwen stood, leaning against Aragorn, their dark heads bent together in soft conversation. The King of the Reunited Kingdoms was most likely comforting his distraught queen. His hand was stroking her dark, silky hair soothingly, while she rested her head on his chest.

Behind them, Elrond's twin sons, Elladan and Elrohir were speaking softly with Legolas, Gandalf and Frodo.

The Ringbearer had been granted passage to Valinor in Arwen's place, for his deeds on Middle Earth, he would sail that day with Gandalf and Elrond beside him.

He seemed to be looking forward to it far more than Elrond was.

Though he wanted to think of all the loved ones he would see when he arrived on those hallowed shores, all he could think of was the loved ones he would never see again.

Like Elros.

If I'd've known the way that this would end

If I'd've read the last page first

Elros, his twin brother.

They had survived so much together, when they were but elflings.

Then he had chosen mortality, though Elrond had begged him not too. He remembered the many arguments they'd had on the subject vividly, the harsh words exchanged, all of which he would take back now, if he could.

Elros had lived for five hundred years, the longer than any other mortal ever would. And he ruled as king wisely, and justly. But Elrond's heart had almost broken when his only remaining family member died.

If I'd've had the strength to walk away

If I'd've known how this would hurt

He remembered their last conversation, sitting beside his aged brother's death bed. Elros had gripped his hand tightly, and they had spoken of many memories, good times and bad.

It had been 6000 years since Elros had passed into the mysterious fate of Mortal Men, and some of that final conversation had faded into Elrond's memory, but one question stood out in his mind, shining like a star on the darkest night.

"If you had known, brother, would you have changed it?"

Elrond searched his brother's fading eyes, confused. "What do you mean?"

Elros had smiled, his smoky eyes fixed on the ceiling, "If you had known how this would end, would you still have wanted to be my brother?"

Tears sprang unbidden to Elrond's eyes at the memory, he brushed them away impatiently. His answer was the same now, as it had been 6000 years ago.

"I would have been your brother, no matter what the outcome."

I would've loved you anyway

I'd do it all the same

Not a second I would change

Not a touch that I would trade

Had I known my heart would break

I'd've loved you anyway


Elrond shook off the ancient memories, and focused on the present again.

Aragorn, his adopted son, and Arwen, his beautiful daughter were walking towards him. The early morning sunlight made her hair shine like a ravens wing, and her silvery eyes glittered with unshed tears.

It's bittersweet to look back now

At memories withered on a vine

"Ada?" Her voice was choked.

'Her heart is breaking, too,' He thought.

"Yes, my Undomiel?" He reached out a hand, and tenderly brushed a stray strand of hair back from her porcelain cheek.

She didn't say another word, just flung herself into his arms, clinging to him like an elfling, not a woman grown and married. He took a step back from the force of the impact, then stroked his hand up and down her back, softly humming a lullaby he used to sing to her when she was small.

'This is the last time I'll ever sing to her,' He realized, causing his heart to jerk painfully in his chest. The Elf Lord quickly shoved those thoughts aside, and continued to comfort his child as best he could, treasuring these last moments he could hold her in his arms. Knowing that in the years to come, he would remember this last morning with her frequently, he made sure he left nothing unsaid.

Just to hold you close to me

For a moment in time

"Oh, my Arwen, my Undomiel, do you know how very much I love you?"

She raised her tear streaked face, and met his eyes. "More than all the treasures hidden under the earth?" She went along with the game they had not played for centuries. The game of whom loved the other more.

Elrond pressed a tender kiss to her forehead, "I love you more than the sun, and the moon, and all the stars shining in the sky."

Arwen managed a shaky smile, "I love you more than the grass, and flowers, and all the trees in the forest, Ada." She held his gaze a moment longer, and swallowed hard. "I don't want you to go."

At those words, a streak a silver trickled down the ancient elf's face, and he clutched his only daughter close to his chest. "It's time for me to go, Arwen. You know this." He forced his grief back, and gently chided his daughter, admonishing her to be strong, and to be a good wife to Aragorn, and a good queen to her chosen people.

I would've loved you anyway

I'd do it all the same

Not a second I would change

Not a touch that I would trade

Had I known my heart would break

I'd've loved you anyway

Elrond next clutched his adopted son close to his heart, for the last time.

Aragorn, though a man fully grown, didn't struggle, or try to pull away. Instead, he leaned into the warm embrace of the only father he could remember.

Elrond told Aragorn all the things he'd always meant to pass on to his brother's descendant, but had never quite gotten around to. He told him where to look for the ancient histories of Middle Earth, how the library in Rivendell was organized, so Aragorn could always find whatever he might need there.

He spoke of more important things too, how very proud Aragorn had made him, and how much he loved him.

"I love you too, Ada."

Elrond smiled through his tears, and cupped Aragorns face in his hands affectionately, before pulling the human close one last time.

Even if I'd seen it comin'

You'd still have seen me runnin'

Straight into your arms

Aragorn buried his face in Elrond's shoulder, then stepped back a moment, and asked him a question that had been bothering him for some time now.

"Ada? If you had known, that Arwen would have chosen me, that I would separate your family like this, would you still have taken me in?"

Elrond looked at his adopted son in shock, seeing for a moment in those worried grey eyes a face he never thought he'd see again. His own brother's face.

"Ada?" Aragorn was searching the Elf's eyes worriedly.

"Yes, my son. If I had known everything that would happen I would have loved you anyways."

Aragorn no longer bothered to hide his tears, and hugged his adoptive father fiercely, "Thank you, Ada."

"For what, my son?"

"For loving me."

I would've loved you anyway

I'd do it all the same

Not a second I would change

Not a touch that I would trade

Had I known my heart would break

I would've loved you anyway

The final goodbyes were said, Frodo hugged Samwise, Merry and Pippin affectionately, before joining Gandalf on the ship. Elrond gave the twins some last minute instructions, before wishing them well, until they met in Valinor again.

With an impish grin, he tossed Legolas a roll of bandages, "In case you should need them, mellon nin!"

Aragorn laughed out loud, the sun lighting up his handsome features perfectly for an instant. Elrond memorized the image, wanting to hold onto these last moments forever, yet anxious to return to the arms of his beloved wife, Celebrian.

He stepped forward, and hugged his family close one last time, kissing his daughter good-bye.

"I love you all!" He called out, as he boarded the ship.

Final farewells were shouted as the ship slid effortlessly away from the shore, he waved frantically at them, his heart bursting in his chest with a strange mixture of emotions.

Grief, pride, joy, sorrow, but above all of them was a pure, shining love.

In that instant, as he recognized the emotions broiling about in his chest, he knew it had all been worth it.

The joy of knowing Arwen, Aragorn, and even Elros, far outweighed the sorrow of losing them.

They had been worth it, and if he had the choice, he would do it all again, just to have pleasure of holding them in his arms for a moment, and his heart for eternity.

"Namaarie, noss nin."* He whispered into the wind, as the boat sailed onward to Valinor.

I would've loved you anyway

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

*Farewell, my family.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List