Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Short Stuff  by Garnet Took

I wrote this almost five years ago but never posted it here.  After a long time away, I'm back and ready to start posting again.


WARNING!  This story contains character death.  


I own none of the characters or settings in this story.  They all belong to the Tolkien Estate and New Line Cinema.  Please don’t sue.  You’d get more out of a turnip.


What if…


1.


Sam.


Sam stood at the Crack of Doom.  In his hand he held the fate of the world in the form of a small gold ring.


“Well, Master,” he said aloud, though there was no one near to hear him, “I made it.  It cost me everything.  I don’t know what happened to most of the fellowship.  I wish Merry and Pippin were here with me, but they’re there with you in that far away place that living eyes can never see.  Gollum killed Merry while Shelob got poor Pippin.  There sacrifice allowed me to escape and make it here.  Now it is up to me to do what must be done.  I don’t want to though.  I want to take this ring and undo all the harm that's been done.  But that can never be.”


Slowly, with a trembling hand, Sam holds the Ring above the fire…and lets it fall.


The world shook but Sam made no move.  “I’ll be with you soon , Mr. Frodo,” he said and sank to his knees as the cavern collapsed around him.


-----


2.


Merry.


“I’m here.  I actually made it.”  Merry weighs the Ring in his hand.  “I don’t think I can do this.”


“Yes you can.”  The voice is weak but unmistakable.  Pippin lies barely conscious just behind where Merry stands,  with Gollum standing over him; a stone still in the evil creature’s hand.


“Quickly, Merry,” Pippin whispers just as his eyes drift closed.


Gollum drops his stone and charges toward the hobbit standing on the brink of the fire with the Precious in his hand.


Merry takes a quick, calming breath.  He holds the Ring, still on its chain over the shear drop.  Just as Gollum makes a grab for it, he lets it go.


Gollum’s wail as he falls echoes in Merry’s mind for the rest of his life.


Days later, when Merry awakens at Cormallen, he realizes that the end did not justify what he had done.  In the end the evil of the Ring had tempted him, and he had given in.  Taking Gollum’s life that way had not made everything right.  It had not saved Pippin, or even avenged his loss.  Even though the Ring was gone, the taint of it would darken Merry’s heart forever.


-----


3.


Pippin.


Slowly, on hands and knees, Pippin makes his way to the edge of the Crack of Doom.  He fumbles weakly to remove the chain from around his neck.  The Ring’s weight has become unbearable.


Gollum never got a last chance to attack his prey.  Before he could reach the hobbit, the Ring, chain and Took have all toppled over the edge.


“This is how it must end,” Pippin thinks aloud as he falls into the abyss.  “I will miss this life.  I hope all those of the Fellowship who still live will remember me with kindness and forgive my weakness here at the end.  Good bye.”





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List