Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 7 - Archers

After some moments, Faramir looked up at Indis. “We needed archers.”

“What, dear heart?” She released her grip a little on him and he sat up.

“We needed archers when Boromir died. There were too many against us. If archers shot first, before you and the men attacked, there would not have been as many to fight.”

“Oh, sweet one. Do you think on that day often?”

He nodded. “All the time,” he whispered.

“Would you like to be an archer?”

His eyes opened wide. “I would. I really would. May I?”

“I think it would be acceptable. Part of your training. You have a good eye.”

“I would need a horse,” he looked slyly up at her.

She laughed. “Mayhap we should talk to Théoden?”

“Oh yes, Indis! He might present me with one, mightn’t he?”

“I think he would.” She held her breath as a thought crossed her mind. ‘Mayhap Théodred could stay for the summer and teach Faramir how to ride.’

“Let me take you to your rooms now, Faramir. You really must sleep.”

“I feel so much better.”

“Nevertheless, it is late. Your uncle will carry you, if you would like.”

“I… I want to stay here. Mayn’t I?”

“Are you sure, Faramir? All by yourself?”

The boy bit his upper lip. “Is Théodred abed yet?”

Indis laughed again. “I think not. Would you ask him to share the bed with you?”

“We slept together… ” He buried his face in her lap.

“On the road from Edoras. Yes, I know, Faramir. I will call him if you wish.”

“Nay. I… I have changed my mind.” Swallowing hard, he lifted his hands and Imrahil swooped him up, holding him very close. The prince buried his face in the valley of the little one’s shoulder and hid his tears.

Faramir giggled. “I am not a babe; you do not have to hold me so tight. I will not fall.”

~*~

“I have sent ten riders to the north and to the west. If Mithrandir chooses to be let himself be found, they will find him.”

“Would that he would come quickly, Indis. I must return to the Mark. My people need me. It has been well over two months and another fortnight for the journey home.”

“Your riders keep you informed of the goings-on in Rohan,” Ciramir said quietly. “There is no danger, for the nonce. Have your agents found the assassin yet?”

Indis could see Théoden begin to bristle and quickly broke in. “The pony you gave Faramir delights him. I am most grateful that you allow Théodred to teach him how to ride. Théodred is an excellent instructor, even though Faramir is a quick learner.” She looked down at her hands. “I would ask a favor of you, Théoden King.”

The King of Rohan grimaced at the affront by Ciramir but turned his attention to Indis. At her words, he beamed. “Whatever is possible, I will do.”

“I ask a great boon of you and of the Mark.”

“Ask it.”

“Faramir loves his pony. His mind is distracted every time he is around it. Théodred has been most proficient in teaching him the basics of riding, but I would ask further. Would you allow Théodred to stay in Minas Tirith for the summer to teach Faramir as much as is possible in so short a time?”

“The whole summer?”

“Yes,” she blushed. “For riding lessons, yes, but for so much more. Faramir loves your son, thinks upon him as a brother, dotes upon you, but you cannot stay here. Would you give Gondor just a little more? Would you deign to let your son stay with us? I promise a full escort to the Mering. He will leave Minas Tirith the day after Yáviérë. Would that be acceptable?”

Théoden laughed loud and long. “I do not know how Gondor’s enemies will ever be able to overcome you, dear lady. And yes, I will let Théodred stay.”

“So you have decided not to send him to Dol Amroth?”

“Not at this time, dearest Imrahil. I think he needs me. I know he needs me. As much as he loves you and your sons, he would feel betrayed. Perhaps in time.”

“Then, I too will leave once we meet with Mithrandir.”

“Yes. Everything depends upon the wizard, does it not?”

~*~

But the wizard never materialized, while Ethuil came and went. Théoden King left the day after the festivities, as did Imrahil. Théodred stayed and joined in the merrymaking as Borondir and Ragnhild exchanged vows. Spring passed; crops were planted, ewes taught the heft to their lambs, summer foals gamboled about, and Faramir and Théodred grew in their friendship. The long summer days were filled with much laughter as both boys were given the run of the Pelennor. Their horses ran swift and strong through races and tests of their riders’ skills. Mischievous doings abounded and many a knight was hard-pressed not to try to rein in the Steward and the Prince of Rohan. All treated Faramir with deference, hoping this period of tomfoolery would pass, hoping it would wash away the horrid memories of the past year.

At last, Indis had had enough. Húrin had reported two incidents within the past hour; another knight soaked under the Sixth Gate as he stood guard, and a game of ‘ducks and drakes’ in the Fountain itself! She called Faramir to her in Denethor’s study. She chided herself. She still thought of it as her brother’s study. Mayhap, if she sat with a glass of his favorite brandy and spoke with him, he would relinquish the room to her. She laughed at the thought. Thankfully, her brother had chosen not to haunt her!

Faramir ran into the room, closely followed by Théodred. They pulled up short as she stared at them, no word of welcome issuing from her lips. Faramir, to his credit, stood in front of Théodred. “You wanted to see me, Amma?”

She drew in a quick, short breath so he would not notice the smile that fought to free itself. ‘Amma indeed,’ she thought to herself. ‘He is becoming quite the diplomat. Thinks he will run away scot-free if he calls me amma!’

“Sit down, the both of you. Though I did not summon you, Théodred, I deem it wise that you be included in this discussion for you know the ways of court and the role of a prince. My Lord Steward,” she turned to Faramir and held her hands at her side, “it is time that we discussed your duties. Please sit.”

Faramir nodded, his eyes wide as saucers, not only at her tone, but also at the thought of what she meant. He moved towards the seat she offered. Not the settle; no, the hard backed oak chair at the Steward’s desk, his father’s desk. He looked upon it in horror as comprehension awoke. His face turned white and he fell forward. She gasped and ran to kneel at his side. Théodred called and the guard ran in, saw the fallen boy, and bellowed for a healer. He stepped to Indis’ side, picked his Steward up, and laid him gently upon the settle. He turned towards the sideboard, poured a small glass of brandy, and handed it to Indis. She held it to Faramir’s lips and let a few drops fall. His eyes opened and he began to cough.

“That tastes terrible!”

“Are you feeling better?”

Faramir nodded. Théodred was still white as a sheet. The guard handed the prince a small glass of the brandy and motioned for him to take a sip. Théodred obeyed and promptly spit it out. “Does taste terrible!”

Faramir laughed.

Indis sat on the settle next to her nephew, took Théodred by the hand and made him sit next to her. The knight returned to his post outside the door. The room quieted as tiny dust particles shimmered in the air, highlighted by the sun shining through the eastern facing window.

“I am very sorry, Faramir,” she said quietly. “Very sorry.” Tears began to stream down her face. “I had no idea.”

“I… Oh, Indis!” he threw his arms around her neck and hugged her so tight she could not breathe. But it didn’t matter. Nothing mattered as long as he knew she loved him, knew he was safe. ‘Bitter is this time,’ she groaned to herself. ‘Will he never heal? Will none of us ever heal?’

Siriondil entered the room and stood by the door, waiting for Indis to signal they were ready for him. Obviously, no one was visibly hurt. He noted the tears and knew he probably was not needed as healer, but as confidant. He waited.

Faramir’s head drooped. Indis heart broke. ‘So fragile still.’ She nodded and Siriondil stepped forward. In whispered words she told the healer what had transpired.

He silently examined the sleeping boy and then gently patted her head. “He will be fine. Shocks like this will occur for many years, Indis. With time, they will grow less. We must be patient with the boy.”

Théodred still held the glass in his hand. At last, he gave it a long look and drank the rest of it. “Will Faramir be all right?”

“He will, Prince Théodred. With patience and love. All of Gondor is happy that you are with our beloved Faramir. But I have heard tales of doings that are not helping him and I know you want to help Faramir.”

Indis marveled at the insight of the healer and rejoiced at his words. She would not have to be the one to reprimand Faramir if the healer’s tactics worked.

“I promised Boromir,” Théodred swallowed hard and sat up straighter. “I am sorry. I had forgotten.”

Indis heart broke again and she knew that somehow she would have to discipline Faramir without breaking his spirit, nor causing Théodred to wallow in guilt. “Nay, Théodred. You have not broken your promise!” She took the boy’s hand in her own and patted it. “Do not change anything that you do. I will help Faramir learn what is right and what is wrong. That was not part of your promise to Boromir. Your promise was to take care of him, and that you do admirably.”

Théodred began to cry himself, but batted the tears away in anger. “I love Faramir as my own brother. I will help you teach him, whether it is part of my oath or no.”

“Thank you,” she said and quietly held his hand. “I think tomorrow we should begin his lessons on shooting his bow whilst riding. What do you think?” Siriondil left them.

~*~

A/N  -  1) Ethuil - The Sindarin name for spring; 54 days between modern 8 April and 31 May. Called Tuilë in Quenya. – Encyclopedia of Arda http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/; 2) Make ducks and drakes (skipping stones) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_skipping; 3) I was a little hesitant in using the term scot-free until I found that it is an Olde English phrase. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scot-free





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List