Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Forty-Five – Strategy and Torpor

After an hour’s ride, scouts came quickly towards them; Indis held up her hand for the company to halt. Gwinhir rode up to her, saluted and spoke. “Haleth’s men have cut across Lossarnach and begin their approach from the west. Ragnhild rides with him. They have a hundred men, well armed. Borondir was wrong. It will be hours before they reach the farms.”

Indis nodded and turned to Listöwel. “We embark on kin-slaying today. Yet, I see no other alternative. Have you any thoughts?”

“Send Gwinhir to Berthil’s farms and see if Faramir is yet there; also, send riders to find Valanestel and Imrahil. They both have a full company with them. Once we are reinforced, our numbers should be close to two hundred and eighty, we could take them without bloodshed. The boy is rash, from all reports, but Ragnhild, unless she is totally under the wizard’s spell, will understand and will counsel surrender.”

“She must be fully spell-fixed for she would not come against Faramir in this fashion,” Indis choked. “I cannot see her making any intelligent gesture.”

“Then it will be kin-strife, unless there be someone in Haleth’s company with an ounce of sense.”

Indis instructed two of the scouts to find Imrahil and Valanestel. Another she sent off to bring back tidings of the battle at the river and to order Durahil to them as soon as possible. Another she sent south to find Ciramir. Gwinhir drew a fresh mount and rode westward, dust following him. Indis then mounted and motioned the company to proceed.

After another hour’s ride, Gwinhir came upon them and spoke, once the company halted. “Faramir has left the farm. Imrahil turned him over to someone, but Berthil’s sons would not say whom. Haleth’s men have yet to arrive, though I warned the folk of Lossarnach to keep guard.”

Indis nodded. “Did you search the area at all for Haleth’s men?”

“I did not, my Regent. I deemed it best to return with the news about Faramir. I was concerned about who might be his escort. What with the treachery of Ragnhild…”

“I understand your concern, but know that Imrahil is as a brother to me; he is also Faramir’s uncle. I trust him with my life. If he sent Faramir off with someone, then so be it. I need you to ride back, take two more scouts, and search the area near the farms. We should be there in at least an hour’s time. I need to know what I am riding into.”

“Yes, my Regent. Forgive my reckless actions.”

“Nay, Gwinhir. You did well. Now, get a fresh mount and go quickly.”

She held her hand to her forehead, once the scouts rode off, and grimaced. “I hope Valanestel joins us soon, and Imrahil.” As she spoke, there was a commotion towards the rear of her company. She cried out softly, “Imrahil!”

“So you cannot keep even one boy safe?” Imrahil’s voice was cool, but Indis noted a twinkle in his eye. “Be not concerned. Thorongil left early this morn, headed northwestward. He is clever and will not be taken.”

Indis sighed. “I am grateful for your return. We have need of as many men as possible. I had to leave a full four companies at the river to battle Haleth’s remaining forces. Another two were sent southwards in hopes of stopping the traitors, but that proved useless. Baran took another two companies north, in case Haleth had already taken Faramir and was retreating. My scouts tell me the traitors rode westward and are coming upon Brethil’s farms.”

“They are good people there,” Imrahil scowled. “If I find they have harmed my cousins in any way, they will be dealt with severely. I do not fear for Faramir, however, Indis. He is not at the farm and is in the most capable hands, I deem, in all of Middle-earth.”

She nodded and motioned for them to continue westward. “We should be upon them shortly.” Anor had begun its westward trek as they rode slowly towards the farms. At last, Indis stopped in a copse within two furlongs of the farms and waited upon Gwinhir’s report before she would commit her troops. Valanestel joined them and Indis greeted him warmly. His men joined in eating a very late nuncheon. They ate a cold meal, for Indis was concerned that the smell of fires would warn Haleth, though she sincerely questioned whether the man had enough sense to wonder at smoke in the middle of farmland.

An hour later, Gwinhir arrived. “The farms have been taken, but I could not tell if any are harmed. I stayed longer than I wanted, to make sure Faramir was away and safe. There was, as Prince Imrahil said, no sign of the Steward. Haleth and Ragnhild are in the main farmhouse. Their men shuffle about in the open; they have posted no guards. It is strange.”

“Is it a trap?” Listöwel wondered aloud.

“I think not, my Captain-General,” Gwinhir stated. “The men appear leaderless and unsure as to what they are to do. I think Haleth does not himself know what to do.”

“Mayhap they will leave the farm unscathed and head towards Minas Tirith. The festival is full underway now,” Imrahil stated. “They may return to their first plan, thinking their reports were false and Faramir is still in the City.”

“Then we wait,” Indis said quietly. “We wait unless they attack the farms. We wait and hope they ride east for Minas Tirith. It will be easier to o’ertake them and force surrender away from innocent people.”

Imrahil nodded in agreement. Listöwel moved forward. “My Regent, let me take the men and begin to deploy them along the road to Minas Tirith, not far, only about a furlong or so from the farms. That way, if Haleth moves out, we will be ready for them. Yet, we will be close enough to aid you, should they attack the farms.”

“Make it so, Listöwel.” The Captain-General motioned and two full companies of Gondor’s finest cavalry rode off with her.

Imrahil and his men stayed behind with Indis. However, before any were stationed, a scout rode into camp, Durahil at his side. Indis ran forward and greeted her captain.

As he stepped from his horse, Durahil noted Imrahil’s presence and bowed, then turned to his Regent. “The battle is over and won with only four killed. They had no battle sense and just rode into the river, I suppose hoping to catch us off guard. The companies I kept back I moved so that, as soon as the battle was joined, they found themselves surrounded. Three of their soldiers were killed; only one of ours fell. I left two companies to guard the prisoners. The other two should reach here in four hour’s time, at best.”

“Four too many dead. I had hoped, foolishly, that we might not be kin-slayers. And now we have another battle to fight here.”

“Indis, we are not kin-slayers, but defenders of Gondor. This began because of traitors. It will continue until we can wipe them out. What will you do with these four hundred? They hate the Stewards.”

“Would you have me hang them all?”

“Haleth and his brother at the least. Minastir’s wasting away in Minas Tirith’s dungeons did naught to keep another plot from fomenting. And hang the captains that rode with him. Take away the lands of those lesser soldiers and make them laborers in Gondor’s road service. The Valar know we need more men to rebuild the roads.”

“Four hundred men, Durahil. That means at the least four hundred families affected. The circle spreads out from there. We would have the whole of Calembel and Tarnost in fear, if not open revolt. I cannot do as you counsel.”

“If you leave them…”

Imrahil interrupted. “I do not deem this the appropriate time to be discussing what to do with those who might all be dead after we engage them.”

Both Indis and Durahil nodded in agreement. “Let us rest for now; set out pickets and scouts and wait for Haleth to make his move. I would have Durahil’s men with us before we attack.”

The sky began to turn brilliant shades of red, yellow and orange as Anor slipped past the mountains. It would be dark in another hour, but the morning would dawn clear and bright. Indis began to pace. She did not want a battle at night, but perhaps Haleth would spend the night at the farm, hoping his men from the river would join him before he began moving towards Minas Tirith. She did not know. The lack of knowledge tried her sorely and she wished she could look into the stone. It would show her what she needed. She shivered.

Imrahil stepped close, offering her his cloak. “We will stop them. We have more than four hundred men against them. They will not even fight. Be not concerned, Indis. We will end this, either tonight or in the morn.”

She sighed heavily. “I think it best that Faramir is not in Minas Tirith, but my heart is sore-tried. I would have him safely in my arms in his room.”

The Prince smiled. “I would have him in my arms in Dol Amroth.”

She began to speak, but just at that moment, a horn call went out and all looked towards Berthil’s farms. Though naught could be seen at this distance, the sounds of an army breaking camp were easily perceived. “It is time,” Indis said and mounted. All around joined her. A scout rode in, quickly sidling up to Indis’ horse. “My Lady, the men from the battle have arrived.” Indis smiled in relief. “Bring them here and quickly.” Within the quarter hour, two tired infantry companies joined them.

“Durahil, you will relieve Listöwel. Send her back here and take command of the troops. Keep them hidden until you hear my horn. Then come forth. I will have my companies line the road, well within sight of Haleth. You will surprise them, as they ride forward to attack, as I am sure they will.” Durahil nodded and rode off.

“Valanestel and Imrahil, I would have you take the battle-weary men and go back to the farm, make sure Berthil’s family is safe, and then come upon Haleth and his men. They will be traveling slowly, I deem. Once I give the signal, change to quick time and come up behind them. I do not think you will need to fight. I believe they will surrender as soon as they see the force we carry against them.”

“I will take your company and Valanestel’s up the road and deploy them in full sight. I expect they will be startled, to say the least.” She smiled. “My hope is that, upon seeing the force set against them, they will surrender.” But in her heart, she felt it a fool’s hope. If both Haleth and Ragnhild were spell-fixed, they would fight.

Within but a few moments, Listöwel rode back and joined her Regent and the companies dispersed, each to their appointed place. In less than half an hour’s time, Indis and Listöwel had arranged their men along the road. Durahil road to Indis and quickly reported that his men were indeed hidden in the brush that lined the road. They would be ready for her signal. She gratefully acknowledged his report and the man slipped quietly into the undergrowth.

After another half hour’s wait, they heard the troops riding down the road. It was as Indis had thought: they rode slowly. Haleth had to be hoping that his men had won the victory at the river and would soon join him. She stilled her heart, drew her sword, and watched as Listöwel drew her own. At Listöwel’s sign, the men followed their Regent. Swords silently slid from sheaths and horses were quieted. Indis waited as a great lassitude fell upon her. She had not slept in days, preparing for battle. Now it was upon her, she found she wanted nothing to do with it. She was tired of battles and intrigue and treachery. Tears streamed down her face, as she looked westward. Only Listöwel noted.

~*~

A/N - 1) 1 league = 3 miles – I figure it is about 40 miles to Berthil’s farms in Lossarnach (about 11+ leagues); the battle site would have been about 15 miles further south. The River Erui starts in the White Mountains and swells somewhere near where the first Battle of the Crossings (TA 1447) took place, then goes on to meet the River Anduin. 2) I had to pause as I wrote this - Imrahil giving command of his Swan Knights to Indis seemed a little far-fetched, but she was, after all, his Regent too. So I think, I hope, I can get away with it.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List