Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Master of Esgaroth  by Le Rouret

A/N: Many thanks to all who have read and reviewed! Your kind words and encouragement keep me motivated. And a huge, oliphaunt-sized thank you to my beta, Nieriel Raina, without whom this chapter would have looked very stupid. All errors are mine; anything good is her doing. – Le Rouret

2. The Spurs


“Well Legolas,” said Aragorn, watching the rich red wine rope and glimmer into his goblet. “I truly did not expect this day would come.”

“No more did I!” said Gimli from across the nook; he had already drained half his glass of ale, and puffed contentedly upon his pipe, his stockinged feet propped up onto a stool. “That little scalawag, a knight! Why it seems but yesterday he was stammering his fealty to you in your father’s halls, my friend.”

“So it does!” laughed Legolas. “Was he not so tiny, Gimli? Do you remember how tiny he was? And how young and frail and innocent! Almost was I afeared of taking him beneath my wing, for what knowledge had I of one so small and fragile as he? But he has turned into a hale and doughty fellow, as befitting the name of Took, and I do not doubt me he shall prove he is as strong as the ancestor from whom he inherited his name.” He filled Aragorn’s goblet with a little flourish of his wrist and glanced over one shoulder at Faramir. “Do you want more, Faramir, or think you four glasses shall turn your head?”

“Turn it all you like,” said Faramir smiling, holding out his goblet. “I have naught to do this day save sit and listen to tiresome speeches. Your good red wine shall assuage my ennui methinks.”

“For shame, my friend!” said Legolas, though he smiled as he filled Faramir’s cup. “I have planned no speeches, and the ceremony shall swift be accomplished. Do not drink too much or you will be unable to dance.”

“Éowyn is not much for dancing,” laughed Faramir. “She will not mind if I am rendered unwilling by wine.”

“The same might be said for you, Thranduilion,” said Elrohir with a small smile. “Did I not observe you taking two glasses of mead with me, not two bells hence?”

“You did,” said Legolas, winking at Gimli, who chuckled. “And have you not yet observed the amount of drink I might consume ere my desire to dance deserts me? Just because you restrict yourself to two glasses daily does not imply I follow your austere regime. Just ask your brother; he has erred in his judgment of mine abilities before.”

“I did tell you many years ago, Estel, did I not, that the Elves of Eryn Lasgalen drink overmuch?” said Elrohir dryly to Aragorn, who was laughing. “And yet from accounts given from certain members of Thranduil’s court, you comported yourself quite foolishly your first visit there.”

“I was not so bad, once I had got used to it,” protested Aragorn. “It is just the wine they serve is so strong, and the spirits of Imladris are not up to that standard.”

Elrohir looked affronted, but Legolas gave to him a goblet and said: “Did I say to you that brother whom I referenced was present in this very room? I did not! Elladan did attempt to maintain the same pace we kept in the Hall of my Lord Father but found it a daunting task. That Dorwinion wine! It is stronger than it tastes. O but have you no fear, Elrohir son of Elrond Half-Elven; I am sure an Elf with as impressive a pedigree as yours, coupled with that iron will for which you are so admired, will be up to the task. This is only the red from the western slopes after all … ten years has it brooded in my cellars, and grows the mellower with each year. Do not let it intimidate you! It does not bite back – not much anyway. It is not the strength of the vintage but the inexperience of the drinker you need fear. You do not practice enough; that is why you find it goes to your head. Drink, Peredhel! There are no battles or council-chambers or aught to take you to horse or sword; you have but to rest and eat and drink and laugh and dance, for you are in Dol Galenehtar and its lord requires merriment, song, and feasting!”

“Merriment indeed!” said Gimli with a snort, and Legolas smiled at him; the Dwarf was huffing into his glass. “I bethought me the Elves of Eryn Lasgalen did indeed sport themselves overmuch; that was before I realized what Dol Galenehtar would become, should Legolas Greenleaf take lordship over it.” He gave Legolas a fond look. “You exasperating, merry fellow!” he said; the affection was thick in his gruff voice. “Had I known what would befall your demesne I think I should have made twice as many dance-halls, and half so many council-chambers.”

“I shall take that as a compliment, my dear Gimli,” said Legolas with a slight bow. “I do flatter myself that Dol Galenehtar is a merry place, and folk find themselves the happier here, if not the wiser.”

Elrohir tasted the wine and grimaced. “Any who drink this vintage will be duller not wiser,” he said. “By heavens, Thranduilion, this is potent stuff!”

“Ho!” laughed Aragorn. “Think you this to be strong? You ought to sample what the Dwarves make of it; their brandy from Dol Galenehtar’s stores is heady indeed.”

“Hush, Aragorn!” chided Gimli while Faramir laughed. “You are giving away all my secrets.”

“Speaking of secrets,” said Legolas, giving Gimli a taste of the wine despite his protests, “what said your lord father in his missive to you this morn? I’ll wager it’s not a patch on mine own Lord Father’s letter to me concerning the turmoil in Esgaroth.”

“Why; what news from the Long Lake?” asked Aragorn in surprise. “Nothing ill I hope?”

“No more do I,” said Legolas. “My Lord Father cares not for the new Master of Esgaroth – King Girion of Dale is ever a favorite, but this Malbeach of Esgaroth is, to all accounts, an oily fellow and no better than he ought to be.”

“I cannot believe Thranduil said oily,” said Gimli in surprise. Legolas snorted into his cup.

“Oily? Well, no; not in an official document anyway. I merely interpolated his meaning.”

“In person I am sure he would use the term oily however,” said Elrohir with a faint smile. “It sounds well, and if it describes this Malbeach then I cannot think Thranduil would deign to use the term.”

“Oily he is then,” said Legolas decisively. “He has asked to renegotiate docking fees.”

“That is hardly befitting the description of oiliness,” protested Faramir, for whom docking fees were a continual sore point with his neighbors.

“Without the benefit of the council of either the King of Eryn Lasgalen, or the Dwarves of Erebor?” asked Legolas. “Private council is all very well, but when one’s custom depends upon a congress of trade, why alienate one from the other?”

“Usually to benefit from the defamation from one or the other,” said Faramir with a wince, and mindful of his trade difficulties Legolas solicitously refilled his glass, making an inward promise to apologize to the Lady Éowyn the following morning for any resultant delicacy in the Steward’s demeanor.

“That is true,” Legolas conceded, “but in the case of the Master of Esgaroth it is hardly a cogent point. He controls the outflow of the Lake and without Esgaroth there is no trade outside Rhovanion. For what reason would he seek to ally himself solely with Lord Girion? Surely King Thorin and my Lord Father are allies not to be disparaged. Certainly my Lord Father is more a recipient of trade and not a producer, but the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain provide the lion’s share of the export. And why should Malbeach seek to belittle Eryn Lasgalen’s wealth? It were foolish of him in the extreme to cut off such tender, especially as the bulk of the wine grown round the Long Lake is purchased by Thranduil’s court.”

“Perhaps Galion offended him,” said Gimli, winking. Legolas burst out laughing.

“Perhaps he did! Galion offends everyone. But if Malbeach seeks to sow discord betwixt race and race, his plan has gone against him, in that Thorin and my Lord Father now meet together, forswearing their ancient enmity.”

“Do they indeed!” exclaimed Elrohir in surprise. “How on earth did they manage that?”

“My Lady Mother’s doing, of course!” said Legolas with a wink. “She flatters and cajoles and smiles and sings, and while Thorin and Glóin and the others are entranced she orders up for them the finest guest rooms, the best wine, the finest food, and the costliest gifts, saying all is a gift from his majesty, the Elven King. I am certain your poor father, Gimli, thinks it contrition on my Lord Father’s part; it matters not however, as peace is made.”

“Your Lady Mother is quite cunning,” said Gimli, grinning. “I will keep her secret; it is delightful to read in my father’s letters how ‘mellow’ has become the Elven King. And anything that fosters concord betwixt our sires meets with my approval.”

“It is something, then, that Thranduil and Thorin might congress, and frustrate any plans to divide them,” said Aragorn. “But why Malbeach would wish to estrange Elf and Dwarf from their neighbors is a mystery.”

“Well let us leave our fathers to the solving of it,” said Gimli comfortably. “We have enough trouble of our own down South.” At Legolas’ raised eyebrow he added, “Well, not ‘trouble’ necessarily, but enough to keep us occupied at least. Bandy is plenty to worry us; we need not borrow trouble from our fathers.”

“Still it is unnerving,” said Legolas, sitting slowly and staring into the hearth. “Ever since the destruction of Smaug have Dale and Esgaroth been united, and Dale friendly with the Dwarves, Esgaroth with the Elves; a tentative balance has been achieved. But now this Malbeach – “

The door banged open then with sudden violence, and a voice cried gladly: “Master, Master!” Gimli choked on his wine, and all the men turned, startled; however it was but Tamin who stood, panting a little, his hair in disarray; when he saw the chamber filled with his elders he blushed to the roots of his golden mane and gave an awkward bow. “I, I am sorry, Master,” he stammered, putting his hands behind his back. “I did not know you entertained any guests – “

“Well, do you not be so precipitate, my Tamin; you quite put us off our drink,” said Legolas calmly, setting the jug of wine upon the mantle and approaching the boy. “What is it; some calamity that warrants mine immediate attention?” When Tamin hesitated, his eyes guardedly on Elrohir, Legolas said hurriedly: “Ah! You are wearing your new black tunic. It looks well on you; I am pleased Hirilcúllas did finish it, for I wished you to wear it to Bandobras’ knighting this eve.”

“Yes, Master,” said Tamin, looking at his shoes in confusion. “I – I came to thank you for it, but – “

“Well next time knock first, then enter,” said Legolas gravely. “You will not risk surprising me in conference then. Is there aught else, or need you go about your many duties?”

Tamin thought for a moment, running through the list in his mind; Hirilcúllas and Leithwen who were organizing the fete had each given him numerous tasks, and though impetuous Tamin was strangely methodical. At last he declared thoughtfully, “Only that Kaimelas wished me to remind you of your toilet, for you complain of a tepid bath, and he does not wish to draw up more hot water than necessary for the guest-chambers are full to overflowing; and O King Elessar, her majesty did request of me I locate you before the fifth bell and remind your majesty how long it takes you to get into your ermine robes because you are not so young as you used to be.”

Gimli suffered a coughing-fit, and all the other men tried very hard to look sober; Legolas pressed his lips together firmly, then said with forced calm: “Anything else, Little One?”

“I think not, Master,” said Tamin, frowning, his brows knotted. “But there is so much in my head I might have forgotten something. If I remember that I have forgotten I will come back and tell you that I have remembered something I forgot that I ought to have remembered, Master. But I will knock first this time, even if what I have remembered I have forgotten is important; will that please you, Master, or should I be precipitate again if it is very important? I would not want to let politesse stand in the way of something very urgent, especially if it is through my forgetting of it and subsequent remembering that brings it to light.”

“That will be splendid, my Tamin,” said Legolas, and gave the blushing boy a kiss on the crown of his golden head, ignoring Gimli’s prolonged cough. “Now run along and complete your tasks; Leithwen is clement but should you cross Hirilcúllas I would not give a brass piece for your hide!”

“Yes, Master!” said Tamin, and impetuously grasped Legolas’ hand and kissed it; then with pink cheeks he quit the room, not quite slamming the door; though the lamps chimed a little with his passing. Faramir and Aragorn let themselves laugh then, and even Elrohir chuckled.

“By the heavens, Legolas,” he said, sipping his wine cautiously; “so delightful do I find the boy that I am sore tempted to find for myself an esquire; I feel I am too serious, and the presence of such a one as he would lighten my mood quite.”

“Well you cannot have that one,” said Legolas firmly, taking his goblet with a grin and filling it up. “Go you to the Shire and find a small Halfling instead – that, as my Bandobras would say, will larn you.”

O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O

Tamin’s mother barely managed to force her son into the bath that day, so occupied was he in the performance of his many duties, both forgotten and remembered. But by the sixth bell Tamin was washed, brushed, and clothed to the best of his mother’s abilities, and she sent him off from their family rooms with a wry smile; Tamin’s cheerful wave as he trotted down the hallway brought tears to her eyes. Rúmil came behind her then, and slipping his arms round his lady wife’s waist said: “He is grown so tall; he is near to mine own height. Can you even mark, beloved, how he has changed?”

“I cannot, my husband,” said Maelaëri dabbing at her tears and smiling. “Do you recall how he would make birch-bark boats, and then float them downstream? I feel like that now, that we have taken such care to construct him, yet he is so fragile still, and we send him down the river with nary a thought.”

“Hardly that,” said Rúmil gently, embracing her. “So long as a mother’s heart beats her thoughts are ever on her offspring.” He drew her inside then and said, “Now, come! Show me what you and that minx Hirilcúllas were giggling over earlier.” And laughing through her tears Maelaëri allowed herself to be enticed within.

Tamin, like many boys, did not spare much thought for his mother, and had he caught her weeping would have merely been worried and puzzled; however he was so preoccupied with his many tasks he had scarcely time to think of his own concerns. He knew Bandobras was in his chambers being prepared for the ceremony, and in spite of his jealousy he felt his sympathies soften toward the Hobbit; this was a tremendous thing Bandobras had accomplished, and Tamin hoped he himself would be equal to the task someday.

As he hurried by on good deed intent he happened to espy several knights waiting in a small dark solar, and recognizing one of them as his lord’s especial friend Cirien the Yellow Knight, and knowing the man was aged and infirm, paused with his arms full of embroidered table cloths; seeing Cirien lacked drink or seat he rushed into the room, gave the group of men a perfunctory bow and said: “My lords all, is there aught you require? For the ceremony does not commence ere the eighth bell and it is hard duty waiting round for something to happen.”

Several knights chuckled, and Cirien smiled; Tamin recognized also Mardil the Silver Knight, and his father by marriage Araval; also within was the splendid Red Knight of Amon Din and diverse others. “Our thanks to you, Tamin the Fulgent!” boomed Mardil, inclining his head to Tamin, much to the boy’s embarrassment. “But we fast with Bandobras of Tookland in commemoration of our own accolades.”

“O do you?” said Tamin curiously; he did not realize other knights would follow the custom. “I have read, O my lords, that betimes some knights will in sympathy refrain from food or drink along with the suffering esquire but I did not realize you should comply.”

“How can we not?” asked a knight of Rohan then. The man’s long yellow braids streamed down his back, and he was clad in a simple green tunic, though the others accorded him full honor Tamin saw. Also was there a crippled knight in brown – Hallas of Lossarnach, the boy remembered; then he realized the knight of Rohan must be Hildáf of the Westmarch. “For did we not all of us to the man observe Bandobras son of Reginard in his first deeds errant? Indeed the traitor Eradan did give to the holbytla plenty upon which to cut his teeth!”

The knights laughed then, and Tamin felt very foolish; of course, Bandobras had been his lord’s esquire for many years, and Tamin had forgotten what he had heard of the Green Knight’s first tournament. To cover his confusion he bowed again, and with a very red face he bolted from the room.

Tuilíndo took the cloths from him and ordered Tamin to help him spread them; this occupied the boy for some time, and Laivánwa further kept him busy running to and fro with a cart full of silver and porcelain. Tamin was well-versed by then in the hierarchy of the court during such functions and neither Laivánwa nor his son found aught to criticize; when at last the tables were properly set and they sent him to the butteries to fetch the trenchers Tuilíndo smiled after him.

“Our lord has made a good choice,” he said with satisfaction.

“We will see!” said Laivánwa gruffly; he was fussed over the preparations and not inclined to sentiment. “He is very young.”

“That the years will mend,” said Tuilíndo with confidence. “Majority would not help a foolish boy, and our lord knows this.”

“Well, perhaps,” said Laivánwa. “If he can be taught to hold his tongue, then I will think Prince Legolas will have truly accomplished something!” Chuckling Tuilíndo agreed, and continued to aid his father in the Hall.

At last the eighth bell rang, and the people began to fill the Great Hall. First came the lowlier folk, those of Dol Galenehtar and of the surrounding regions, minor merchants from Ithilien and Osgiliath; Tamin, pausing by the solar door, saw Andunië’s coppery head, and beside her Himbaláth her husband, and he wondered how had gone the hunt. Also did he see his parents there, and was pleased to note his mother was clad in new clothes, and her gown was very fine. Making sure Tuilíndo did not see him Tamin ran to them where they seated themselves, and throwing his arms round his mother’s neck he said: “O how splendid you look, Naneth! What a lovely dress! Are we not fortunate, O Adar, that Naneth is so beautiful? I declare I have the prettiest mother in Dol Galenehtar!” The people round them hearing this laughed and teased Maelaëri, but Tamin was already gone; he skipped back on nimble feet to where Laivánwa stood with a look on his face as though he were looking for someone. Tamin presented himself ere the man could decide whether or not to be cross, and was proved his forgiveness by being given the task of lighting the candelabra upon the dais tables.

Tamin was careful with the taper, for he knew that if he dripped wax upon the gold cloth he would be required to remove it, and it was a tedious task and unfitting one as energetic as he; however as the crowds swelled he felt someone’s eyes upon him, and looking down at the tables closest the dais he saw his dear friend Fastred, splendid in the black of the Stewards’ house. Fastred smiled and nodded, and Tamin grinned; however when he espied Léodwyn walking frostily by, deliberately ignoring Fastred’s glance, his face fell; for he saw how cut Fastred was, and how angry. Shaking his head over the follies of mortal love Tamin finished lighting the candelabra and hurried back to ask what he should do next.

Laivánwa hushed him, and Tuilíndo smiling told him to seek his family. “But quietly,” he whispered; “the herald is about to start.” Eyes shining with excitement Tamin hurried away, and slipped onto the bench betwixt his parents; the trenchers were yet empty but upon the tables the cooks had piled fresh bread, and bowls of gravy and ragouts, and pyramids of roasted quail, and platters of nuts and cheese. Tamin’s mouth watered and he hoped the herald would hurry. His stomach rumbled, and Maelaëri, hearing this, broke a corner of white crumbly cheese from the plate in front of her, and slipped it to her son under cover of the table cloth. Tamin smiled at her, and ate it as stealthily as he could.

Then there was the blare of trumpets, and everyone rose. Tamin craned his neck to look to the entrance of the Hall. Two rows of five warriors stood there, gorgeously bedecked in shining mail with high-crowned helms; they held tall spears sporting the green and brown of Dol Galenehtar. Tamin could see the gleam of silver threads in the pennants and he smiled; his own dear mother had embroidered those. The musicians set down their cloth-draped horns and stepped back, and Galás of Doriath strode into the Hall.

Tamin knew Galás only as his lord’s seneschal, a jolly, irreverent, and often exasperating Elf. He had never seen Galás in such resplendence, for though Galás was of ancient and noble lineage and numbered his years in millennia not centuries he eschewed fine clothing and more often than not during feasts would be seen in a plain dark doublet, sitting round the wine-barrels singing impolite songs. He looked very incongruous to Tamin, clad in a marvelous robe of sapphire; a broad red sash was bound round his waist and he had a silver circlet upon his dark head. His epaulettes gleamed with gems and his face was sober, though Tamin could see even from that distance that Galás’ grey eyes were twinkling as though with secret mirth. The herald called out, “Galás of Doriath, seneschal of Dol Galenehtar!” and everyone watched him walk up to the dais. He turned at the head of the dais and snapped his fingers. Two Elves brought out a laver; Tamin could see the water steaming in it. Then the herald cried: “Make obeisance to the lord of the feast, his most right and noble highness, Prince Thranduilion, Lord of Dol Galenehtar, Green Knight of Gondor, of the Nine Walkers, Fell-Beast-Bane, Legolas our lord!”

Tamin cried out with the others, chills all over his arms from the tributes paid his beloved Master. He saw to his delight that Fionim and Morambel had moved their heads and thus he had a clear view of Legolas as he came into the Hall in all his splendor and majesty. His eyes misted over with gratitude that his lord whom he loved should be so magnificent, and devoured the sight the Green Knight made as he came into his Hall. He was clad, as Tamin knew he would be, in a robe whiter than snow, and covered all over with gems and metal thread and sparkling silver and mithril beads. The tassels on his sash chimed together and the light from the torches when it struck him was shattered into color, gleaming and sparkling and glittering like the stars in the heavens. His hair lay smooth as molten gold upon his shoulders, and crowning his beautiful head was the Circlet of Edlothiel, dazzling the eye with opals and diamonds and other white gems, twisted mithril cleverly mocking the sigil of Legolas’ house. But finer than his vestments to Tamin was his Master’s face, serene, redoubtable, fair; and his eyes, gentle and adamant, with the darkest flicker of temper. Tamin shivered with delight, entranced to watch the old formal ceremony. Galás welcomed his royal cousin, and laved his hands and stood aside; then did Legolas raise his glittering arms to the assembly, and all were silent. He nodded to the herald who said:

“Their royal majesties, Elessar, the Elfstone, Aragorn son of Arathorn, and the Evenstar, Arwen Undómiel daughter of Elrond Peredhil, the King and Queen of Gondor!”

King Elessar and his lovely queen came in then, and Tamin only thought with an inward sniff that it was a shame Queen Undómiel were not as beautiful as his lord. There was more talking then, and his Master washed the king’s and queen’s hands; then Elrohir Peredhel came in, and his Master washed his hands, and then Lord Faramir and Lady Éowyn of Osgiliath came in, and Legolas washed their hands, and Tamin began to lose interest, because he was very hungry and O so tired of standing, and many lords and ladies and knights were coming in whom he did not know, and he tried as best he could not to fidget. At last everyone came in who was supposed to, and Galás told everyone to be seated.

Tamin felt very uneasy on Bandobras’ account and hoped the Hobbit were not too nervous. Tamin did not know how he would fare himself, if he were to walk the length of this crowded hall filled with so many great and important people. But the herald announced then, “Bandobras Took son of Reginard, Esquire of the Green Knight!” and Tamin’s imagination flared. Someday, he thought wistfully; someday that would be he the herald announced, coming down the length of the Hall to accept his spurs; someday he too would be ready, would have completed his training and achieved his majority, and earned the right to be announced like any other knight or lord. But Tamin knew he would not be nervous, for he would be walking toward his lord, and he knew his Master would eclipse all others, and in his splendor burn away any fear from his servant’s heart. He strained up on his toes to see Bandobras come in, having to shift right and left ‘til he found a spot betwixt Fionim and Malinadulin; he espied the Hobbit then, clad in a simple blue arming doublet and cap, his jolly little face unnaturally sober. He walked the length of the Hall confidently, and Tamin was impressed, and wondered if the Hobbit too saw naught but his Master and so was strengthened by it. He looked up at Legolas then and his heart turned over; his lord was watching Bandobras approach, his face tender, but also sad; his eyes were filled with tears, and Tamin once again pushed down his invidious feelings.

Bandobras reached the dais, and bowed; and then Tamin realized that there was a crowd of men at the foot of the dais, with Gimli of Aglarond beside them. Each man held a piece of blue armor. Tamin recognized Cirien, holding the plumed helm; Aldamir with the breastplate and fauld; Araval with the pauldron and bevor;

Mardil with the cuisses; Hallas holding the vambraces; Hildáf with the greaves, and Gimli with the sword belt. The armor was very fine, and caught the light, gleaming indigo round about them. Legolas stepped forward, and gestured to Bandobras. The Hobbit ascended the dais and bowed. Legolas knelt, and taking Bandobras by the shoulders kissed him on each cheek; then he rose, and said:

“Bandobras son of Reginard, child of the Shire, esquire of the Green Knight, you have this day achieved to the age of three and thirty years and have made your majority. You have been to your Master a good and faithful servant: diligent, brave, honest, loyal, of good temper and sound judgment, and charitable toward the beleaguered and disadvantaged. You have learnt to use sword and escutcheon, bow and arrow, mace and halberd; you ride and hunt with the knights of my household, and are conversant in the gentle art of the court, in hierarchy and echelon. You have attained the right to the honor and title of knight of the realm of Dol Galenehtar, with all tributes and lands attendant upon that. You may yet realize your freedom though, and leave to seek your own fortune in your own land; you will go with gifts and goodwill to find whatever future you might carve for yourself. What is your choice, Bandobras of Tookland?”

There was no hesitation; Bandobras said firmly, in a clear piping voice: “I, Bandobras son of Reginard, do renounce my homeland the Shire and choose to live out my natural life as a knight of Dol Galenehtar and as the humble vassal of you, my lord and master, Legolas son of Thranduil, Lord of Dol Galenehtar and Prince of Eryn Lasgalen.”

“I knew he would say that,” muttered Himbaláth, and Andunië nudged him with her elbow.

“Since that is your chosen doom,” said Legolas, his eyes shining, “receive you now the gifts prepared for you.” He gestured with one glittering arm, and one by one the knights at the bottom of the dais, guided by Gimli, armed him. At last cap-a-pie Bandobras stood, his small face peering out through the gap betwixt eye-slit and bevor, the white plume dancing over his head. Gimli affixed the sword-belt and scabbard to him, and stood back to stand with the other knights. Then did Legolas reach back, and took from Galás a small sword; it flashed in the torchlight. Legolas held it high over Bandobras’ head.

“Kneel, Bandobras son of Reginard,” said Legolas, and with a creak and a clank the Hobbit knelt, bowing his head to his lord. Legolas bent down, his hair swinging like a shining silver curtain in a gentle breeze round his white face; tears gleamed upon his cheeks, and his grey eyes were shining. He touched the tip of the sword to Bandobras’ left shoulder. “Let your heart be loyal,” he said, and touched the sword to the right. “Let your arm be strong.” He lay the flat of the sword upon the dancing white plume of the helm. “Let your mind hold fast to justice and mercy.” Bandobras raised his head then, and Legolas presented him the sword hilt-first. “Take you your proffered weapon, O Bandobras the Blue Knight; your fealty shall be towards Dol Galenehtar and her principal Ithilien; your lord shall be Legolas Thranduilion the Prince of Eryn Lasgalen, and your parcel, ten hectares of olive-grove; your steed, the pony Spark of the hills of Esgaroth; your home, a chamber in your lord’s castle; your fortune, five hundred gold pieces, one thousand of silver, and a half stone precious gems.” There was a small murmur at this, but Bandobras did not even seem to comprehend the wealth given him; his eyes were fixed upon his lord, and all else appeared to be as dross to him. He took the sword and turning it presented the hilt back to Legolas; he said:

“I Bandobras the Blue Knight of Dol Galenehtar swear fealty to Legolas Thranduilion Prince of Eryn Lasgalen and declare this day that should my loyalty fade all accolade and wealth, glory and honor be of me stripped and I laid bare, for thus fall all who malign and defame their chosen lords and lands, and may the souls of my fathers hold me fast to this oath!”

Tamin shivered. He did not fear the dead, but he had never met a Hobbit-ghost and was certain they should prove more dreadful than others. But his lord appeared to be pleased with this pledge for he placed the sword in Bandobras’ scabbard, and turning the Hobbit round to face the assembly he said:

“Behold, Dol Galenehtar, Osgiliath, Ithilien, Gondor and all outlying lands! Behold Bandobras the Blue Knight!”

All rose to their feet then, and cried: “Hail the Blue Knight! Hail Bandobras of Dol Galenehtar!” And then the sommeliers came forth, rolling barrels out with laughter and song; with their hammers they broached the barrels and began scooping out the wine with great pewter jugs. These they distributed amongst the tables, and all laughing filled their cups; Tamin noticed that other pitchers had been set upon the dais table, and Legolas had poured a silver goblet full for Bandobras, and handed it to him with a laugh, though Tamin could not mark what Legolas said. Cirien and Mardil and all the others were laughing and toasting him, and Gimli had started to sing; all the Dwarves sitting on the end of the dais were singing too, and raising ale-cups brimming and foaming. Rúmil poured a dram of wine into his son’s cup, and Maelaëri with an acerbic look at her husband filled it with water; Rúmil gave it unto his son with a smile and said:

“And think you, O Tamin my son, that soon it shall be you who is so greatly honored! Drink and be glad, for Bandobras has achieved a great thing; he is to be praised indeed who has borne such a load and been proved victorious!” Tamin agreed, though when he tasted the watered-down wine he grimaced; he would rather have had plain water after all.

Everyone sat and let the servingmen bring the roasts and fowl, and Tamin with the rest of them ate and drank, sopping the gravy with a roll in his trencher and picking the bones. But when he had eaten his fill Tamin found a servillete and wiped his mouth, and leaning in to his father’s ear said: “I am going to find Laivánwa; I am sure he is frantic by now, and I want to see if I can help in any way!” He scrambled down from the bench and hurried back to the buttery hatches, and Rúmil watching him fondly said to Hwindiö beside him:

“How my heart burns within me to let him go! But ‘tis a better thing for his future and his fortune than I could ever give to him.”

“Be of good cheer!” said Hwindiö, refilling Rúmil’s cup. “Legolas Thranduilion is a clement master, and there is a plethora of things worse than serving him.” To this Rúmil agreed, and the other Galadrim who had joined the Green Knight’s household concurred with another toast, and proclaimed loud commendation concerning Legolas Thranduilion’s generosity.

That good lord sat upon the dais, and watched the people in high revel with fondness. He had not even passed a score of years in Ithilien yet had built for himself and his people a safe and comfortable place, filled with light and laughter and song and merriment, and brought others of his wandering kin safe behind his strong walls. Bandobras by his side ate voraciously, for no Hobbit fasts well; and the other knights in attendance, Cirien and Mardil and Araval and the others, laughed and ate and drank; Gimli was regaling King Elessar with some tale regarding the perfidy of the Men of the Mark, with Hildáf laughingly objecting; Undómiel and her brother spoke quietly and gently to each other, immeasurably grateful for the chance to converse; and all round him, Legolas saw people happily celebrating: Men and Elves, men and women and children, rich and poor, noble and lowly; the Hall was filled with the scents of roasted meat and bread and rich spices, and with the sound of laughter and music, and the sight of gaily-dressed folk, splendid in their finery, the lamps gleaming and swinging overhead, the columns and statues polished – was that a hat on the statue of Thingol in the corner? Galás again; still a scamp and at his age; Legolas could not help but laugh – through the tall arched windows he could see the stars twinkling, and the dark branches of the trees round the Tower waving in the wind.

He gave a melancholy little sigh, thinking of the many happy years he had spent with his little Bandobras trotting at his heels, fussing at him for getting his clothes dirty, encouraging him to eat more, standing staunchly by his side in battle, and insisting upon regular baths. To think that his Bandobras was now a knight! The Hobbit had removed his helm and gauntlets, and sitting with the other knights he gleamed and flashed as did they, his armor fresh and shining blue; he was speaking animatedly to Hildáf, and passing the wine jug to Aldamir, splendid in red; Araval in brown upon his other side was laughing, and teasing his son-in-law Mardil, who blushed from some wicked comment. Legolas let his eyes wander. There was his dear friend Undómiel, her glorious eyes sad, and beside her, dark and dangerous, was Elrohir, sorrow evident in his hard face. Legolas’ heart twisted within, for it was difficult enough to lose one’s mortal friends; but to lose a kinsman to mortality near unspeakable. His gaze traveled round the dais, and when he saw Faramir and Éowyn he felt better, for their love was a love of deep delight and vibrant virtue; however seeing upon the White Lady’s side Léodwyn, pale and angry, and Fastred, grimly picking apart his pheasant, made him frown; Fastred could be so stubborn sometimes, and Léodwyn … Legolas had hoped their match would be firmly set by now, yet here came Halgond, the rake, to claim her hand in the first reel. Léodwyn accepted with dignified grace, glancing at Fastred; Fastred merely glared at his pheasant and made to ignore them. Legolas saw the Lord and Lady of Ithilien exchange worried looks and Legolas wondered, just for a moment, if he might interfere. But then the memory of Dúrfinwen’s wrath, and the ghostly recollection of a woman’s shoe striking his temple, returned to him, and he recalled his oath to her to abjure match-making. “A pity,” he thought, watching Fastred stew in chagrin. “’Twould be an easy thing … “ He shook himself though, and seeing the feast was winding down, looked round for Tamin Rúmilion.

The place on the bench between Rúmil and Maelaëri was vacant, and Legolas’ quick eyes found the truant. Tamin was running out with the rest of Laivánwa’s servants, carrying the subtleties; he was balancing a big one, that resembled a bowl of fruit covered in meringue coins, in his arms, and laughing at something Tuilíndo said in passing. Legolas smiled. Laivánwa had said himself that he would not ask Tamin to aid him in the feast, and yet there the boy was, willing, eager, energetic. He watched Tamin carefully slide the subtlety upon the trestle-table and speak cheerfully to the people there; then Legolas saw him step back, rub his hands together, and look round thoughtfully, as though wondering where his assistance might next be needed.

It was time. Legolas rose to his feet, and the Elves in the assembly, seeing him rise, rose as well; silence fell over the Hall. The fires in their pits crackled, and through the open windows one could hear the sound of the trees soughing in the wind, and the dogs gnawing the beef-bones; but the people were quiet, and watched Legolas as he stood, the beads and gems on his robe sparkling, his diadem in mithril shining round his pale head. Legolas spread his arms and a million tiny rainbows chased themselves across the faces of his companions.

“Tamin Rúmilion,” he said; his voice echoed through the hall. “Come to the dais.”

Tamin jumped, startled, and stared with anxious eyes at his lord. What had he done? Had he offended someone in some way? Had he failed his Master? But bravely he trotted up the center aisle, bearing the curious stares the people bestowed upon him; and when the boy had gained the dais Legolas stepped away from the table, and stood at the top of the steps. Tamin knelt then, and Legolas gazed gravely down upon him.

“Tamin Rúmilion of Lothlórien,” he said. “You with your mother and father traveled from the forests of your birth to Dol Galenehtar to seek shelter of the Green Knight. You have with your family and kinsmen sworn to me your duty, your fealty, and your friendship. As a page in my court you have labored long and tirelessly upon errands great and small. You have befriended Elf, Man, Dwarf, and Halfling alike, seeing all with clear eye and open heart. You have through battle and service proven yourself worthy of due accolade, as many years ago upon the plains of Rohan, by the estuaries of the Onodló, you did request of me. Now, O Tamin Rúmilion of Lothlórien, Galadrim, archer, swordsman, denizen of Ithilien, do you still hold to this desire? Wish you yet to be the servant of the Lord of Dol Galenehtar, to be my esquire, to follow me, to serve me, to do my bidding for the most noble and honorable goal of accolade and knighthood? Do you, Tamin Rúmilion of Lothlórien?”

Tamin trembled upon the lowest step of the dais. Did he yet! Had he thought of nothing else ere laying eyes upon his lord upon the plains of Rohan? Were there no other aspirations in his mind? Did his heart not beat the same beat as the rhythm of Dol Galenehtar? Did he not gaze upon the knights in their splendid cuirasses, riding their mighty destriers, with envy and impatience, firm in the conviction that he but awaited the fulfillment of that desire? Lifting his shining face to his beloved lord he smiled and cried out in an eager voice: “Yes! Yes, O my lord, my esteemed, my only Master! What have I in life but this, to live with you and to humbly serve you? O let me be your esquire, Master! I have longed for this honor ere I saw you sitting upon the banks of the Onodló, leaf-crowned, willow-sceptered, blessing the children of Lórien and Dunland!” He stammered to a halt, remembering suddenly where he was; however the people round him murmured in approval as well as amusement, and the Green Knight smiled at him.

“Come forth then,” he said, and holding out his hand to Galás he took a sword in an intaglioed scabbard. It was longer than Tamin’s old sword, and the hilt not wrapped in wire but worked richly in leather and inlaid metal; it looked very old and very deadly. Quivering from head to toe Tamin rose and stumbled up the dais steps, and with tremulous hand took the sword from his Master. It was heavy, but beautifully balanced betwixt blade and tang, and there were little gems set in the pommel. Galás and Tuilíndo had pushed a heavy chair to the head of the dais, and upon this the Lord of Dol Galenehtar sat, laying his hands in his lap. Then Galás took Tamin by the shoulder, and guided him to kneel before his Master, and said:

“Put your sword in the Green Knight’s lap, Tamin Rúmilion of Lothlórien.”

Tamin laid the sword upon Legolas’ knees, and Legolas placed his hands over Tamin’s. Tamin’s fingers were cold and shaking, and Legolas when he looked down into the boy’s face saw he was white and anxious, though smiling with trembling lips, his eyes shining with delight. Legolas’ heart turned over, and he could not but glance at Bandobras then, remembering how the little Halfling had placed his tiny sword upon Legolas’ knee, and stammered out his fealty in clear and piping voice. Bandobras met Legolas’ eye, and though he looked sober and decorous enough the corner of his mouth twitched, and he winked. Fighting back a rebellious smile Legolas turned his attention again to Tamin, who seemed ready to fly apart from anticipation; taking pity upon the boy Legolas said:

“Tamin Rúmilion of Lothlórien, you have stated before this assembly your desire to become the esquire of the Green Knight. Give unto me now your oaths, that you and I may be bound to them, for these folk here are our witnesses, and once claimed our vows to each other shall constrain and bless us in our association.”

Tamin asked no better; he had memorized the oaths two years hence. “I, Tamin Rúmilion of Lothlórien, Galadrim formerly under the protection of Lord Celeborn the Wise, do declare this day that I renounce my previous allegiance and do pledge fealty to his highness, Prince Legolas of Eryn Lasgalen, Lord of Dol Galenehtar, the Green Knight of Gondor, so that for the remainder of my childhood ere I achieve my majority I shall be his humble slave, to go where he wills, to do as he wishes, to act as he says, to learn as he teaches. I shall be ever by his side, speaking when commanded, silent otherwise; I shall serve, obey, and apply myself to his authority wholly, without complaint or argument. My allegiance shall be to him and to Dol Galenehtar and no other, and with every part of me, heart, soul, and mind, shall I place before me the welfare of my Master and his demesne over all other considerations, including my family, my friends, and the realm of my birth. I do all this with the hope that my service might prove worthy of the order of knighthood of Dol Galenehtar, and I place myself entirely in the hands of Legolas, the Green Knight, Prince of Eryn Lasgalen and Lord of Dol Galenehtar, my Master!”

The only sound in the hall was the crackle of flames, and the sound of a stifled sob somewhere near the lower trestle tables, but Tamin did not hear it. Legolas did though, and glancing over at Maelaëri saw the poor mother’s eyes filled with tears; smiling encouragingly Legolas answered Tamin and said:

“I, Legolas Thranduilion, Prince of Eryn Lasgalen, Lord of Dol Galenehtar, Green Knight of Gondor, do declare this day that you are my esquire and I your true Master. I accept from you your fealty and do promise that the lands and peoples you have renounced shall be supplanted by mine own demesne and peoples. I will guide, instruct, succor, nurture, protect, and provision you. I pledge that I shall lay no burdens upon your shoulders you are not strong enough to bear, and no one’s hand shall be against you unfairly; I will defend you from injustice and mistreatment, and care for you as mine own son. I do all this with the hope that your service might prove worthy of the order of knighthood of Dol Galenehtar, and I take your life and your labor entirely in my hands. I, Legolas, the Green Knight, Prince of Eryn Lasgalen and Lord of Dol Galenehtar, do swear this to you, Tamin Rúmilion of Dol Galenehtar, that you shall be the Black Knight, third in the chivalric order of my demesne, upon achievement of your majority and accolades.”

“Hail Tamin Rúmilion, esquire of the Green Knight!” cried Malbeth of Celos from the far side of the dais, and Legolas laughed, for the Black Knight would have an Elven brother. The Hall erupted in cheers, and Tamin, blushing to the tips of his fingers, kissed Legolas’ hand firmly ere taking his new sword and strapping it proudly round his waist. Legolas rose and taking Tamin by the shoulder attempted to announce Tamin’s status to the assembly, but none heard him, and even the Men and Dwarves were cheering and stamping their feet. Through the cacophony Legolas leant over to whisper to Galás, who smiled and nodded, and when the noise died down he cried in a loud voice:

“Rúmil Tauronion and Maelaëri of Lothlórien, come forward!”

Then did Tamin’s parents rise and approach, Rúmil proudly, and Maelaëri still with tears upon her cheeks; it was only then Tamin noticed that his father also sported new clothing; his doublet was black, and upon the breast piece was embroidered the sigil of Dol Galenehtar. Galás brought them to the table below the dais, where sat many noblemen and Elves of higher rank; and the places for them were set with fresh trencher and knife, and silver goblets given them. Raising his arms Legolas called out in a loud voice: “Know all you here that I have elevated the station of Rúmil Tauronion of Lothlórien and his lady wife, in accordance with the eminence their son Tamin has achieved. I therefore command you all now to rejoice and be glad, to eat and drink and dance and sing, for this is the will of the Lord of Dol Galenehtar!”

The Hall exploded into noise once more, and the musicians began a lively reel in the corner. Legolas watched Tamin and Fastred embrace, and then Tamin was passed round the table of knights and noblemen, his hand shaken, his forehead kissed; the last Legolas saw of the boy, Mardil had taken him in hand and was speaking kindly and soberly to him. Smiling a little wearily Legolas found his seat, and picking up his golden goblet took a deep draught. Gimli came to him then, and plunked himself down in the vacant chair beside him; he had a glass of ale in his hand, and his rich red doublet gleamed with gold thread and sparkling gem; his beard was neatly plaited, and round his neck hung a tiny box on a fine gold chain. He patted Legolas’ knee heavily. “Well!” he said. “Do you think you have had your fill of ceremony now?”

“I have indeed,” sighed Legolas, looking round the Hall with satisfaction. “I am pleased with my choice, for though Tamin needs not accolade I wished to advance Rúmil; he is a good man and a wise leader. His council will be a welcome addition to my chambers.”

“And of course, Maelaëri will be able to keep Dúrfinwen in check,” grinned Gimli, and his friend laughed. “It does seem strange to me, though, Legolas, that Dúrfinwen is absent. I miss her winsome face in revels like this; she is the only lady in your court who marries beauty to tomfoolery. And speaking of tomfoolery, who was it put that cap on the head of the statue of Thingol? One of the little ones of Lothlórien perhaps? See how enviously they do watch your new little esquire! Well I hope you have better luck with this one than the last.”

“Now, what do you mean by that, Gimli?” asked Bandobras, coming up behind them; he had a cup of ale in one hand and a pasty in the other. Gimli winced, but Bandobras looked at him with good humor. “I was not so bad, now, was I Mas – I mean, Legolas? Bless me,” he added, shaking his head. “That won’t be an easy change to make, now, will it?”

“It will not,” agreed Legolas a little sadly. “But you have certainly earned the right to call me by my name, my Bandobras.” He paused and said a little mournfully: “And now I suppose I am constrained to dispense with the personal pronoun before your name, am I not, Bandobras of Dol Galenehtar?”

“Nonsense!” scoffed Bandobras, popping the pasty in his mouth. “I could travel miles away from home, and you could take all the esquires you wanted, and I’d always be your Bandobras. Goodness gracious me, who else could I possibly belong to? Now don’t you go getting sooky on me, Mas – I mean, Legolas – you’ve had too much to drink if you’re going to act in that fashion. You need to dance. Let me see now; you can’t dance with Dúrfinwen, for she’s gone; and you can’t dance with Andunië, for see, she’s taken; so’s Léodwyn, and Hirilcúllas and Meivel have claimed every last dance with each other – sickening, isn’t it? – there goes Liquíseleé – where is Seimiel? She gives a pretty turn about the floor.”

“My minstrels will be playing soon,” said Gimli. “With whom shall you dance the Bariz-Sigin, Legolas? Andunië again? You have only beaten her once.”

“I might ask Arwen, if Aragorn will let me,” laughed Legolas. “I would ask Neumë but she went with Dúrfinwen to my Lord Father’s keep. With whom shall you dance, my Bandobras? I did note Fríma and Óla were about; or do you claim turns with them, Gimli?”

“Pah!” said Gimli waving his hand. “Go dance with Óla, Bandy; she’s a merry girl. I claim Fríma for myself though; hers is not a sympathetic character but I like the way she dances.”

“And I,” said Legolas, draining his goblet, “shall ask that maid over there – she came in with Turgon of Minas Tirith – a distant relative of his wife’s, I believe. She has done naught but murmur to her neighbors and blush and stammer; she seems to me to be bashful, and needs some encouragement to be gay. Once the young men see that the lord of the feast has chosen her for a reel her dance-card shall be filled to overflowing, and my good deed done!” He rose to his feet, and Bandobras shaking his head said:

“My dear Mas – I mean, Legolas – bother that! – you always think of the well-being of others, now, don’t you? That’s uncommon good of you. And I’ll take me to Óla, seeing as Gimli’s got no objections; and Gimli, you and Fríma take a turn round the rushes. What fun this is! Thank you for my lovely party my – Legolas – everything’s been so nice, and the mushroom pasties are right toothsome, they are.”

“You are quite welcome, O Blue Knight of Dol Galenehtar,” said Legolas, bowing; then Bandobras bowed, and Gimli in effervescence of spirits bowed, and they all laughed; then the three of them did descend the dais to lose themselves in the fray.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List