Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Green Knight and the Master of Esgaroth  by Le Rouret

(A/N: Many thanks to those of you who have expressed sympathy during our time of bereavement. And many apologies to those of you who had no idea why I took such a long hiatus! Things have settled down, and my muse, no stranger to grief, is back. As usual, I owe all the readability of this chapter to my fantastic beta, Nieriel Raina. – Le Rouret)

Chapter 12 Esgaroth

The verdant fields of wheat and barley were no more. As the Green Knight and his party passed through the southern fiefdoms of Esgaroth, they saw naught but charred earth, and the ruins of farmsteads and small villages. Betimes they came across crows picking at some long-rotted carcass – a cow, or a horse; the occasional sheep – but other than those black carrion birds, they saw no signs of life.

They crossed the Celduin, the rich dark border of Eryn Lasgalen rising upon the hills to their left, and when the sun set, its coral rays ignited the canopy of leaves and set it shimmering. To Legolas it seemed that the trees of his home were afire; perhaps this stimulated his inner mind, for the next few nights he dreamt of Eryn Lasgalen aflame, his father’s people trapped in their cavernous home, smoke-filled, fire-girt, and ever whispering in the dark corners and dim reaches of the cold dark stone … Crawl, harlot … crawl …

Legolas did not sleep at all for three days, and the rest he had achieved in the soft grass by the pond lost its efficacy. He became again bone-weary, sandy-eyed, distracted and unheeding of his friends. Mindful of his short temper he held his tongue, not wishing the ones he loved to be the victims of his own poor spirits, and Gimli and Kaimelas humored him, not pestering him for any decision-making or conversation, but letting him simply follow along with them, slumped on Hammer’s broad back, drooping, his eyes vacant. Tamin and Bandobras watched him worriedly, but borrowing from Gimli and Kaimelas’ wisdom likewise let him be.

They crossed over a small stream, which in times past had been deep and bounded with trees; now however the trees were torn and broken down, and though the stream still flowed the banks were rutted and muddy. Legolas roused himself and studied it, his lips pursed; then he looked thoughtfully up past the bank at the palisades of the village beyond, peeping through the thick pine boughs. Wordlessly the little troupe rose up out of the low ruined stream, and approached the village, dismounting at the guard box. The big log gate was torn from its hinges, and within they could see the streets and houses. No smoke from woodfires; no chatter of matrons nor laughter of children; no lowing of cattle or bleating of sheep: All was very quiet, and the fields around the palisade were empty. Legolas said slowly: “’Twere worrisome enough to see the poor farmers to the south gone, but this village was rich and prosperous. What has occurred to drive out the people so?”

“Well, whatever it is we’re a-riding right into it,” said Bandobras grimly, loosening his sword-belt. “Think we should poke round a bit, see what’s doing?”

They all fell silent, listening; the Elves turned their heads to and fro, frowning; at last Kaimelas said: “I hear nothing, and smell nothing save the faintest scent of decay.”

“A dead body?” asked Gimli, turning to him.

“Vegetable matter,” said Legolas, giving a definitive sniff. “And sour milk.”

Tamin wrinkled his nose. “It smells awful, Master.”

“Most likely their storerooms then,” said Bandobras. “A crime, to let good food go to waste like that.”

“Should we go inside, Master?” asked Tamin, gesturing toward the village. “Perhaps there is someone here who needs our aid.”

“If they’re putting up with the smell of sour milk they’ll need more help than we can give ‘em,” said Bandobras. “But I think it’s worth a look-see, gents.”

They dismounted, and led their horses within the palisade. “Stay here, my children,” said Legolas to the beasts; they huddled together, nervous, watching him with whitened eyes. “I know,” he added, patting Hammer’s big whiskery nose. “It troubles me as well, my friend.” Hammer whickered, and lipped at his master’s hands; Legolas absently scratched his ears, and said: “Watch out for them, my Hammer; bellow if aught occurs.” Hammer flicked his big ears forward, then raised his large head, alert. Satisfied, Legolas turned to his friends. “Well, shall we split up, or keep together?” he asked with a grim smile. “Either prospect is daunting; for if we separate and something occurs, we might not get to the others in time; however if we are all together and are set upon, how do we know if one might escape?”

“I think the horses have it right – don’t you, Isilmë?” said Tamin, throwing his arms round his little stallion’s neck; Isilmë blew into his hair and grunted. “We ought rather to stay together; there is more strength in numbers.”

“Wisdom from the young!” said Bandobras. “And me being yet younger I must say, gentlemen, I’m all for it. Don’t let’s split up; this place has a nasty feel to it.”

“It does,” agreed Legolas, shuddering. “All round us the sun shines, the breezes blow, the houses stand and the palisade surrounds us – and yet – it is disquieting.”

They were all silent a moment, standing and shifting uncomfortably on their feet, much like the horses were; then Gimli clapped his hands together briskly and said: “Well! No more of this chary hesitation; let us get on with it! I vote we find the biggest house in the village, for that will be the elder’s; I warrant we shall discover more answers there than in one of these little outer hovels.”

“Perhaps,” said Legolas. He looked round and said: “Kaimelas, this village has changed much since last I was here; do you remember where the elder’s house might be?”

“It is usually near the central square,” said Kaimelas. “The streets are dirt, but I do not think me they have changed their design – Down this alleyway, and on the second left. There is a fountain there where the ladies gossip.”

“Let us go there then,” said Legolas. Taking his bow and one arrow from his quiver, he held them loosely in his hands, and said with a wry smile: “Just in case!” Kaimelas and Tamin followed suit, and Bandobras and Gimli kept their hands on their hilts.

The alley was dark and dank, and smelt of mold. Great slimy puddles accrued in the darker corners and the footing was slippery. The closer they got to the middle of the village, the wetter the ground became; and when they gained the second left turning Kaimelas had spoken of, a small rivulet of muddy, oily water was cutting a trench down the middle of the alley. “Oi! Watch your steps,” said Bandobras, grimacing. “What nasty stuff! Wish I had myself some boots.”

“They do not help much,” said Kaimelas, making a face and lifting one foot; his low soft boots were covered to the ankles in the green-gray slime. “What is this stuff? It is like some horrible jelly!”

They slogged round the corner into the center courtyard. It had in times past been a pleasant place, cobbled and surrounded by large houses with big gardens, and merchants’ windows and carts. In the middle of it had at one time stood a big urn-shaped fountain, round which the matrons of the village would go to draw water and tell tales on their neighbors. But the urn had been broken down, and the walls of the fountain smashed; it was thence the gray oily water discharged, bubbling greasily up from the churned, rock-strewn earth. There were deep marks in the cobblestones, as though someone had taken a huge barrel and dragged it all round the square, pulling up the pavers and knocking over trees and the low garden walls. All the houses stood, but the doors were open and the windows dark; there was no sound save the plopping, gurgling liquid in the middle of the square.

“What in heaven’s name happened here?” exclaimed Bandobras. “What a mess!”

“O Master,” said Tamin suddenly, grasping Legolas’ sleeve. “I am afraid!”

“My Tamin,” said Legolas, taking his white-faced esquire in his arms. “There is nothing here. Listen! There is no life; there is nothing here to hurt you.”

“All the same I am afraid, Master,” said Tamin, burying his face in his Master’s breast. He was trembling and very cold. “This is an evil place – I feel it in my very bones! O do not let us go on – let us get out – out!”

“We are here; we might as well find out what has happened,” said Kaimelas comfortingly. “Come, little Tamin! We are all here with you; you are not alone, and we will not let anything hurt you. Just you stay with us and you will be well.”

Legolas turned to him, his eyes twinkling despite his concern. “I do seem to recall you gave that self-same speech to a certain young Elf on his first night mission against Ungoliant’s issue,” he said, stroking Tamin’s head. “And from what I might remember, you were correct – we routed the filthy beasts, and came home victorious, with nary a mark on us.”

“There, Tamin; you see?” said Bandobras, patting Tamin’s back. “It’s all right to be scared, boy; but don’t let it stop you doing what needs to be done. This here village was full o’ folk once, and kids and mothers and maidens and farmers and such. Something’s gone and done ‘em in somehow, and it’s up to the likes of us, Tamin, to find out who done it, and whack ‘em but good.”

“You are right, of course, Bandy,” said Tamin, pulling out of Legolas’ embrace and straightening his tunic. “I am so sorry, Master, for delaying us! For now I see it is by succumbing to my fear, and not the fear itself, which causes distress. I am better now, Master; and I shall follow you wherever you go.”

“Very well then, my Little One,” smiled Legolas, kissing the crown of Tamin’s golden head. “Then follow me into that big mansion there, across the courtyard – I can see something strange on the outer wall.”

They crossed the cracked and ruined cobblestones and stepped cautiously over the ruins of the fountain. The water bubbled out sluggishly, thick and greasy, and the footing was treacherous. In one deep curved trench the water was especially viscous, and there was something floating in it; Kaimelas took a stick, and fished it out: it was the sleeve of a woman’s dress, embroidered and very fine, though the points had been ripped out of the eyes. It dripped disconsolately down, coated in the greenish slime, mocking the shape of the arm it once graced.

“I do not like the looks of this,” said Gimli into the silence.

“I haven’t liked the looks of anything since we left that little pond in the dingle,” said Bandobras. “I’m thinking we otter of stayed there.”

“O Bandy, we ought not to have done that,” said Tamin, shocked. “Why, then we would not know anything that was happening here, and so would not be able to help anyone, or to fix anything! We should just have sat there and eaten ducks and fish and gotten fat!”

“There’s worse things nor that,” said Bandobras airily, giving Kaimelas a sly wink. “Ignorant people can be right content, you know.”

“But how could one be content?” cried Tamin. “We should never have discovered anything about anything!”

“That’s ignorance for you!” said Bandobras with grim cheer. “Does nothing, thinks nothing, goes nowhere. And I’m a-thinking we might be up for a spell o’ that when we’re done with this here mess.”

“Now is not the time for it however,” said Legolas severely. “Hush! See, someone has written words upon that wall!”

They crept carefully up to the house. It was a large mansion, brick-fronted, with a high front step and the remains of a pretty flower-garden in front. It had at one time pots and urns of roses and other plants surrounding its plinth, but whatever had torn up the courtyard cobblestones had done its work here too; now the clay pots and stone terraces were broken down, and covered in the same gray muck. The door had been torn from its hinges, and lay on the ground; it had been a pretty oak door once, carven with ivy and bellflowers; but it had been dented and much scored, as though scraped with many axes and hammers. Over the lintel someone had etched rough words:

WARE LEST THE MASTER GET YOU

They all read this, then turned round about, looking to make sure no one else was in the square; it was however as quiet and empty as before.

“Did I say before I did not like the looks of this?” asked Gimli, taking out his small axe. “I change my opinion; I like this even less; in fact my liking for this is less now to such an extent that my previous dislike but a minor twinge by comparison.”

There was a steely hiss; Legolas had drawn his sword, and put his foot on the stoop. He turned back to them; his bright eyes were shadow-rimmed, and his face pale, but he was tall and resolute, and shone against the darkness of the interior. “Let us go in,” he said. “Perhaps we might find who this master is, that we ought fear so assiduously.” Turning he went inside, his pale head a beacon in the dark doorway; then the gloom surrounded him and grew the darker, the further he penetrated the shadows, until he disappeared.

“Wait!” cried Gimli, and leapt in behind him, fearing some treachery. But when his eyes had adjusted to the shadowy room he saw Legolas standing within, looking round, his sword long and bright, his face attentive. “Gimli,” he said, turning. “Look.”

Gimli looked round the room while the others filed cautiously in. The furniture was all in place, though it was very dirty, and there appeared to be a lot of wine spilt upon the floor; it had soaked into the hall carpet, a dark, blood-red stain. The hearth was cold and dark, but among the grey embers were the shattered and half-melted remains of green glass.

Kaimelas knelt at the hearth, and poked the old clinkers with his finger. “It looks as though they had some sort of celebration,” he said. He worried a slagged bottle from the mess and held it up, suspended upon his forefinger by the neck. “Dorwinion!” he said. “They have good taste.”

“Now you sound like Galion,” said Legolas with a grin. Kaimelas gave him an arch look.

“Do you attempt to insult me?” he asked, putting the bottle back.

“Is that not likewise an insult to poor Galion? And he unable to defend himself.” Legolas walked through to the back of the room, kicking aside a small bundle. He paused, looked down at it, then nudged it with the tip of his sword. “Ai,” he breathed, and kneeling held it up. It was the match of the sleeve Kaimelas had fished out of the muck in the courtyard, likewise torn at the shoulder. “This bodes ill,” he said; he sounded angry. Gimli stumped over and took the sleeve from him, frowning.

“Why?” asked Tamin. “It is only a lady’s sleeve.”

Bandobras shot Tamin a careful look. “Well, a pretty bauble like that; no lady would leave it behind a-purpose,” he said, exchanging wary glances with Kaimelas. “I think Gimli’s right, gents; let’s see what’s left in this house, and hoof it right quick. I don’t like it here.”

“Nor do I,” said Kaimelas. He turned round about cautiously, his black eyes flashing. “Do you smell that?”

“Smell what?” asked Gimli.

“What is it?” asked Tamin, sniffing. “I have smelt it ere entering this house. I do not think I have smelt it before. It is sour – “

A strange look crossed Kaimelas’ face, and glancing at Tamin said to Bandobras: “Wait you here with Tamin, will you not, good Hobbit? We three shall head down this hall here to see what we may see.”

Bandobras’ raised eyebrows were eloquent, but he nodded, seeing Kaimelas’ cautious glance at the little Elfling; and he and Tamin stood together in the dark room and watched Legolas, Gimli, and Kaimelas creep warily down the dark hallway. There were a few bumps from Gimli, and a low cautionary whisper from Legolas; then a shuffling noise, and soft speech. Legolas gave an exclamation of dismay, then Gimli cried: “Look at all the stains! What did they do; take every maid in the village?” Kaimelas hushed them both, and they returned, looking very strange. Gimli and Legolas were white with anger, and Kaimelas flush with it; and clutched tightly in Legolas’ fist was a shackle, rusty and bent. Tamin had rarely seen his Master so furious, and was afraid; Bandobras, more used to the Green Knight’s moods, simply put two and two together, and came up with prudence.

“I take it there’s naught living to rescue,” he said, his heart in his toes.

“And naught of virtue either,” said Legolas; his voice trembled with wrath. He cast the shackle with sudden violence into the mirror over the mantle; the glass shattered into a million shards, making a terrible noise. “Men!” he spat, his mouth working furiously; then without another word he strode out of the house.

They scampered after him, and found him standing in the muck in the center of the square, eyes guarded, chin raised. A sluggish breeze stirred the long pale tendrils of his hair, like golden snakes writhing round his face; he raised one hand to them for silence. But then the air was rent by a great bellow, and the answering whinny of a strange horse; and even Gimli then could hear Men’s voices without, calling and shouting.

“Damn and blast!” muttered Bandobras, drawing his sword. “And here we’re stuck in this rabbit’s warren of a village!”

“They may not be the perpetrators of these vile acts, but passers-by only,” said Kaimelas, though he fitted an arrow to his string.

“That is optimism for you!” said Gimli, hefting his axe. “So what do you say, good Kaimelas? Shall we question them before or after we attack them?”

“Hold!” snapped Legolas. “Go back into the house. Kaimelas, stand by the back door. Gimli and Bandobras, stand behind me. Tamin, remain behind Gimli and Bandobras. If these Men are our friends then we might exit without fear; however if it is a fight they want, we shall at least have a place to which they may lay siege.”

“Or set fire to,” muttered Bandobras under his breath, but only Tamin heard him.

“I will bolt the shutters as I go,” said Kaimelas, and dashed back into the mansion. They heard him slamming shutters and throwing bolts, and giving the occasional curse; then he called out, and they followed him in.

Tamin was very excited; he found he was not frightened at all, only terribly curious, and eager for blood. “I suppose it is because I have fought Men before,” he thought; “this is not some unknown menace upon us!” He heard Isilmë then, and spared an anguished thought for his little white horse; but Isilmë did not sound as though he were afraid or in pain, only irritated. “That is likely a good sign,” Tamin thought; then peering over Bandobras’ curly head and round his Master’s elbow, he saw a large group of armed Men enter the courtyard.

They were led by a tall, broad-shouldered Man in a scarlet doublet, much embroidered and embellished with gold and gems. He wore on his dark head a low cap studded with precious stones, and held in his hand a long spear adorned with a fluttering red pennant. His hair was long and luxuriant, and dark as night; though some stars sparkled in the curls, and his eyes and mouth were lined with the care of years. He would have been handsome, Tamin thought, near as handsome as Mardil of Ethring, had his eyes not been so dead; they were black, like Kaimelas’ eyes, but instead of the lively sparkle therein, it was more as though one looked into a dark well, bottomless and cold. Tamin shivered, and hoped the Man were foe not friend; he did not think he would want a friend with eyes like that.

The Man and his soldiers, twenty in all, approached the house, looking round and seeming very at ease; then the Man in red started, for he had seen Legolas standing tall and menacing in the doorway. His Men cried in alarm, but the Man in red simply paused for a moment, those dead eyes calculating; then he put a small stiff smile on his lips, and holding up one hand in parley said:

“Thus is my good fortune made complete today; for I came to this village seeking to put down a vile rebellion; but lo! See what I behold! It is the Prince of Mirkwood!”

Legolas spoke not, but stood still and silent beneath the lintel; the soldiers exclaimed at this, but at a gesture from the Man in red they put their weapons away and stood attentively by. The Man approached, still with hand upheld; he walked warily, though he did not seem afraid but merely watchful. When he had reached the border of the ruined garden, Legolas stirred.

“You appear to have the advantage, O Man,” he said; his voice was cool. “Who are you, who address the only son of the Elvenking with such familiarity?”

The Man hesitated, and a dark flicker passed across his face; then the unctuous smile returned, and flinging out one leg he gave to the Green Knight an elaborate bow, his hand upon his breast. “Forgive me, O your highness!” he said smoothly. “In my delight to encounter an Elf of such standing and importance so unexpectedly, no doubt my manners have gone wool-gathering with my wits. And you have no need, O Prince above princes, to confirm to me what mine eyes have told me already; for who else would you be, but the beloved child of Thranduil Oropherion and the remarkable Edlothiel of Mirkwood? Indeed I aver no Elf in Middle-earth could hold a candle to the likes of you, who shine in beauty and power and dignity, eclipsing the sun in heaven and the stars likewise with your radiance and might!”

“Very prettily said,” said Gimli dryly. “But the radiant prince awaits yet your name, O Man.”

“And I shall give it him, O Gimli Lord of Aglarond,” said the Man with a broad smile, bowing to Gimli too, though not as deeply. “And to Bandobras the Halfling of the Shire who dwells also in Dol Galenehtar. May I not win favor with so prestigious a trio, by proving your valor precedes you, and I am not ignorant of your grace and deeds? Though I do not know the truly – “ he paused, and flicked his tongue out to touch his lips. “ – delightful Elven child behind you.” He regarded Tamin thoughtfully with those dead dark eyes; Tamin shivered beneath his regard. “As pretty as maids, are the little boys of the Firstborn!”

“You have no need to give to me your name,” said Legolas, a little sharply. “You are Malbeach, the Master of Esgaroth.”

Malbeach smiled up at him, his eyes hooded. “I surely would have remembered had we met before, your highness,” he said silkily.

“As with mine own, your reputation precedes you,” said Legolas; Malbeach’s eyes flickered, but the smile remained fixed upon his lips.

“Indeed? Then we are most fortunate, O Legolas of Dol Galenehtar; for we are so well-acquainted though we have never laid eyes upon each other’s faces before! Be friends with me then, and come back to Esgaroth with us! Long has it been ere the resplendent Prince of Mirkwood beheld the Long Lake; I am sure he will find the city much changed and improved, and its denizens eager to welcome him, and to satisfy his every whim and appetite.”

“That is a generous invitation,” said Legolas. “But were you not engaged in subduing an uprising? Though it seems strange to me you should come out yourself, O Master of Esgaroth, on such a paltry mission, when a troop of men could accomplish the destruction of this village without resorting to the risk of losing their elected Master.”

“Well, O Legolas, Prince of princes,” smiled Malbeach; “you ought to know yourself, as a leader of many, that sometimes it is easier to do a thing yourself than to simply send out many men to do it for you.”

“That is so,” Legolas conceded with a small smile. “And have you succeeded in suppressing this insurrection?”

Malbeach looked round the village square, at the destruction of the fountain and the mud-pit in the center of the cobblestones. “I do fear me I have not,” he said, affecting a look of pity, though he rubbed his hands together as though he were pleased. “Such brigands, such violence! A great shame it is, that folk think they can flout the law so, and visit destruction upon their fellow Men.”

“A shame indeed,” said Legolas.

“But the trail is cold,” said Malbeach, and came forward to the stoop, looking up at the Green Knight with a wide smile. His dark eyes gazed steadily up into Legolas’, and the Elf went very still; all was quiet. “Come back with us,” Malbeach said; his voice was low and smooth, warm and soft as satin. “We are having a tournament tonight – just a little joust – your prowess at the tilt is legendary, O Legolas the Magnificent. The prize – a favor from my lady’s hand.”

There was the slightest sound from the group of Men behind him, like someone stifling a laugh; Legolas stirred restlessly, and said, his voice thick as treacle:

“It would be – impolite – for me to refuse.” He glanced down at Gimli, his eyes drooping a little as though he were weary; but when he exchanged glances with the Dwarf he straightened his shoulders and turned round to Malbeach again, and spoke with decision.

“Let us collect our things and the rest of our party,” he said. “We will come with you to Esgaroth, and I shall set the lists to please your lady.”

“Excellent!” Malbeach gave a wide smile, showing all his teeth. “I will tell my men to clear the way for you then.” And he turned back to his men, speaking under his breath to them; they all attended carefully to him, though a few were giving Legolas and his party dark looks, as though they begrudged them the time. “Legolas!” Gimli hissed under his breath; “what are you thinking? Esgaroth from all we have heard is the center of the trouble hereabouts, and from what we have seen, there is more trouble than the five of us can readily manage! Do you propose we ride straight to the lion’s mouth?”

“What would you have me do, my friend?” Legolas replied, rubbing his eyes; his shoulders drooped and he looked strained. “They outnumber us ten to one, and have our horses; besides this house though fronted with brick is made of wood and they could burn us to ashes if they wished. We will go with them, but cautiously; remember however that the closer we draw to Esgaroth, the closer we are to my father and yours.”

“Kaimelas ain’t going to like this one little bit,” said Bandobras. He gestured with his chin to Tamin. “Come on, boy; let’s let him know what’s what. And you watch yourself with that there Malbeach,” he added under his breath as they went down the back hall. “I don’t trust him one bit, that I don’t! He’s got ‘liar’ writ all over his silly face.”

“Really?” said Tamin in a low voice. He glanced back to the open doorway; his Master and Gimli were dark against the bright sunlight, and Legolas was bent over, speaking earnestly to the Dwarf in a whisper. “What does my Master do to liars, Bandobras?”

“Cuts off their heads, he does,” grinned Bandobras with a wink, and together they went to collect Kaimelas.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List