Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Aspects of Aragorn  by Inzilbeth

Disclaimer: No profit will be made from these stories. All quotes from the works of J.R.R.Tolkien are reproduced here without the permission of The Tolkien Estate or New Line Cinema. No copyright infringement is intended.

To Cairistiona and Estelcontar: my most grateful thanks for their ongoing encouragement and support.

And thanks to Cairistiona for the beta.

 

Chapter 38: The Star of the Dúnedain

   1436 King Elessar rides north, and dwells for a while by Lake Evendim. He comes to the Brandywine Bridge, and there greets his friends…

Appendix B                                                                                       The Return of the King  

 

~oo0oo~

    Sam had never seen such a big tent. He stood on the Brandywine Bridge, staring in wonder at the enormous pavilion before him. ‘You could fit five, if not six, whole hobbit houses into it,’ he thought.

   “Why, Rose,” he said to his wife standing beside him, “it’s even bigger than the one old Mr Bilbo had for his hundred and eleventy-first birthday party. And that was big enough to hold an oliphant.” Rose, however, was not paying the slightest bit of attention to her husband. She was far too worried about her dress. It was her best frock and usually she loved it, but today she was not at all sure it would do. Sam of course had reassured her that she looked lovely, but that had done little to calm her mounting nerves. She doubted he had any more idea than she of what a mayor’s wife ought to wear to greet a king. So for what felt like the hundredth time already that day, she took a deep breath and did her best to ignore the butterflies fluttering away in her tummy, even though they had been steadily growing more agitated all morning.

   ‘It’s quite understandable I’m so nervous,’ she told herself, sternly. ‘After all, it’s not everyday you get to sit down at the top table with the King and Queen, even if they do happen to be old friends of your husband.’

   She had fretted about what to wear for weeks, ever since the messengers had arrived from Gondor with the news that the King was intending to visit the Shire. Sam and the children had been thrilled at the tidings and had been counting the days until the Royal Company arrived, but Rose had been consumed with anxiety from the outset. She had, nonetheless, thrown herself into the preparations whole-heartedly as there had been so much to do and organise, but she had not given a huge amount of thought to actually meeting the High King Elessar of Gondor and Arnor until today. Goodness, it was such a mouthful even to say his name. What, she wondered, could she possibly find to talk about with such an important man.

   She sighed, and told herself for the umpteenth time that all that really mattered was that she didn’t let Sam down. Her children, she was pleased to see, had no such worries, not even Elanor, who at fifteen was quite a young lady now. She was bursting with excitement at the prospect of meeting a real king and queen, and happily chatting away to any one and everyone. Rose watched her daughter for a moment and felt her mother’s heart swell with pride. Elanor was as pretty as a picture with her golden hair tied up in her best blue ribbons and proudly wearing her new dress that she had made all by herself. Not for the first time, she wondered quite how she had come to give birth to such a beautiful child.

   The Gamgees, like the Tooks, had stayed at Brandy Hall with the Master of Buckland the last few nights in readiness for the arrival of the Company from Gondor. Work on the celebrations had been underway all week, but the last few days had seen feverish activity on everyone’s part as the final plans were brought to bear. Not only was there the Grand Reception to organise, but Sam, Merry and Pippin, as Counsellors of the North Kingdom, were going to travel with the Royal Company for the official opening of the King’s new residence at Annúminas. Their families were to accompany them and this had inevitably required a huge amount of preparation on the part of their wives.

   But many hands had soon made short work of tidying up this corner of the Shire. Anything that could be cleaned was brushed and scrubbed, and anything that could be painted was given a fresh coat. None in living memory had ever seen the Brandywine Bridge looking so well. Sam had, of course, invited the King to come across and enter the Shire, but he had not been at all surprised when Aragorn had declined, choosing not to break his own law.

    Now the much anticipated day had finally arrived. All was ready at last and look-outs had been posted beyond the river to watch for the arrival of the Royal Company. Seemingly half the inhabitants of the Shire had gathered on the Bridge in the hope of meeting the King and those who could not squeeze between the railings had spilled out into the fields round about.

   As the appointed hour drew near, everyone was waiting most expectantly. It was a bright spring afternoon, the sun high above in the cloudless sky, yet the nip in the early April air ensured everyone remained comfortably cool. Nobody wanted to be sweating under a blazing sun whilst trying to remain calm and dignified in the presence of such a renowned man as the King.

   In other words, it was a perfect day.

  Sam was wearing his chain of office, but Merry and Pippin, in honour of the King, had dressed in their uniforms as knights of Rohan and Gondor. Everyone was dressed in their very smartest clothes, no small number of new outfits having been hastily stitched together in the last few weeks.

  Suddenly a shout went up and a pony raced into view, at full gallop.

   “They’re coming! They’re coming!” shouted the rider. Cries of excitement immediately greeted this announcement and everyone hurried into their positions; all present knew exactly who was to stand where, having rehearsed this moment often enough over the last few weeks. Soon the jingle of harness on many horses could be heard and at last, round the bend in the road, a great company of grand lords and ladies rode into view.

   They made a quite wondrous sight, for among the many fair lords riding in the Company were several from Rivendell, including the twin sons of Elrond, who dwelt there still. The waiting hobbits gasped in awe at the splendour of the knights with their shining armour and mighty weapons.Most were wearing the same silver and black livery of the Citadel Guard as Pippin, but their high, winged helms rendering them very tall, and even rather frightening, in the hobbits’ eyes. At the front of the procession rode a lone knight who held aloft the great sable standard of the King, its many gems glittering in the bright sunshine.

   But riding at the head of them all, on a great horse, came King Elessar himself. Most of the hobbits had never seen bigfolk before, let alone a king, but whatever they were expecting they were not remotely disappointed.

   Aragorn knew well the importance of doing things properly in the Shire so he had brought with him his most kingly raiment. On his grey horse, he looked magnificent in his gleaming armour and fine robes and on his head, rather than the Crown of Gondor, he wore just a single fillet on his brow, in the centre of which was the Elendilmir, as was the tradition for the king of Arnor. This was the jewel he had worn when he stormed into battle at the Pelennor fields, but the original Elendilmir, now recovered from Saruman’s hoard in Orthanc, he would not wear until he reached Annúminas and he formally took up the kingship of the North. Yet the light of the jewel blazed forth like a flame, bringing gasps of delight and astonishment from the crowd.

   As the Company approached the bridge, a lone trumpeter heralded the arrival of the king and the procession came to a halt. Aragorn jumped down from his horse and went to the aid of his queen, lifting her with ease from her side-saddle. Then together, hand in hand, they walked towards the gathering. A little behind the royal couple, flanked by the Peredhil, there walked a lad who looked to be only just in his teens. ‘The same age, as Frodo Lad,’ thought Sam, though he marvelled at how tall the boy was compared with his own lad. His too-long limbs were gangly like those of a young colt that had yet to fulfil his promise. He was the image of Aragorn, yet in his youthful face, Sam could see much of the beauty of his mother.

    Everyone was feeling a little nervous about meeting such a great lord as the King, but as he walked towards them smiling, Sam, Merry and Pippin were relieved to see it was still their old friend who came to greet them. He looked just the same as when they had last seen him, though as he stood before them, Sam was sure he noticed a sense of peace and contentment about him that he had not been aware of before and was glad. Then, in front of the assembled hobbits and to the amazement of all those who did not know him, Aragorn dropped to one knee and embraced each of his three friends in turn.

   “My dear friends,” he said softly, just for the ears of those beside him. “This reunion has been too long in coming, yet what joy it brings me now to see you all again.”

   In this happy moment, Sam even fancied he saw a tear in the King’s eye, but then it could have been in his own. And when Queen Arwen stooped to kiss him, Sam knew he was blushing. She was after all the most beautiful lady in the whole world and such loveliness rather had that effect on him.

   As Mayor, Sam was then called upon to officially greet the King and say a few words of welcome. He was in his second term of office now but he still found public speaking a bit of an ordeal. Today he was understandably especially nervous, in spite of constantly reminding himself it was only old Strider he was addressing. He was nonetheless dreading letting the King down,

   “Your Majesties King Elessar and Queen Arwen, great lords and ladies of the Reunited Kingdom, it is my great honour to bid you all welcome,” he began in his most mayor-like voice, before proceeding to tell the King and Queen how delighted everyone was to have their Royal highnesses visiting the Shire.

   But his eldest daughter did not hear a word. Elanor was peeking out from behind her parents trying to get a better look at the Queen. She had heard so much about her from her father, but she was still stunned by quite how beautiful she was in person. And her gown was something the like of which she had never seen before. She would not have believed it possible to create such finery or produce such skilled needlework had she not seen it with her own eyes. She wondered if she would be able to summon up the courage to ask her about it, should she be granted an opportunity to speak to her later.

   When her father finished his speech, the King, in a loud, clear voice replied in kind, and then it was time for the formal introductions to be made.

   “And this, my lord, is my dear wife, Rose,” said Sam, pushing Rose forward. Rose curtsied shyly before the King and Queen and turned scarlet as she did so, much to her own annoyance.

   “Rose Cotton, what a great pleasure it is to finally meet you,” said Aragorn, smiling at her. “And this delightful young lady must be your daughter, Elanor. Why, Sam, she is as fair as any Elf-maiden I have ever known.” He flashed the young girl his most winning smile and Elanor, who had become very shy in the presence of such a great and famous man, at once forgot her shyness and thought him wonderful. The Queen too was thoroughly enchanted by this lovely hobbit lass and chatted to her for far longer than propriety demanded. Rose, although overjoyed for her daughter, could not help but fret that those queuing behind would be growing impatient.

   After the Mayor’s family had all been properly presented, the Thrain and his were next in line. Pippin proudly introduced his wife, Diamond, and his young son, little Faramir.

   “Don’t you think though, Aragorn,” he said, “that as a Knight of the Citadel, I really should be on duty?” Pippin was quite sure that even though he may be Thrain, in the presence of the King, this should be his priority.

   “Thank you, Pippin; gladly do I accept your offer,” said the King, graciously. Perhaps though because he was now a married man himself, he refused to allow Pippin to take up his place until after the forthcoming celebrations, something for which Diamond was no doubt most grateful.

   Next to greet the King was the Master of Buckland. Merry, standing with his wife, Estella, could not help but notice the horse Aragorn was riding. It was a mighty beast, whose grey coat glistened silver in the sun. He looked very proud and wilful.  

   “Is that a horse of Rohan, Aragorn?” he asked. “He reminds me rather of Shadowfax.”

   “He is indeed a horse of that realm,” replied Aragorn. “He was a gift from Eomer and there is no finer animal in my stable. But although he is kin to the Mearas, I doubt we will ever see another like Shadowfax.” 

    Sam, meanwhile, was busy ushering forward all the important hobbits who were lined up waiting to meet the Royal couple. He very much hoped he was presenting everyone in an acceptable order and had not omitted anyone likely to be offended. When all the introductions were finally over, the King and Queen were invited to a feast in their honour in the pavilion. Many of the worthy folk of the Shire were also attending so it was to be a sizable gathering. Sam, Merry and Pippin, along with their families, accompanied the Royal Family to the huge pavilion where they were escorted to the top table. When everyone had found their places, all present stood for the Standing Silence and then at last the festivities began. The King was treated to the finest food and drink the Shire could produce and he was not at all surprised to learn there was plenty for second and even third helpings should he desire it.

   Sam, at the King’s request, came and sat next to him, for Aragorn wished to hear the tidings from this corner of his Realm.

  “Well, I don’t rightly have much to tell in the way of tidings,” said Sam, “nothing out of the ordinary ever happens now, though you could likely say that’s a good thing.”

   Aragorn smiled. “I agree, Sam, that sounds a very good thing to me too. I hope that banning men from the Shire has made it a safer place for you all.”

   “Oh yes,” said Sam. “Certainly now the big-folk don’t come here any more, we don’t have trouble of the kind we had before. Tis a shame though that the respectable big-folks, like yourself and your lovely lady, can’t come and see all the good that has come from Galadriel’s gift. The Mallorn is a fine young tree now and the wonder of the Three Farthings. That is a sight to see, is that, I don’t mind telling you.”

   “I would not seek favour from my office, any more than I know you would from yours,” replied the King, “but it warms my heart to think of the Shire being touched by a little of the enchantment of the Golden Wood.”

   Throughout the seven course meal, King and Mayor continued to chatter away happily together, discussing the joys of their respective families as well as the demands and duties of both their public roles. Aragorn particularly wanted to discuss with Sam his hopes for the North Kingdom and for Annúminas in particular.

     “It brings me such joy that the city has been rebuilt,” he said. “I have dreamed of this day for a very long time. Of all that we have achieved since the War, the restoration of Annúminas for my people in the North is the closest to my heart. I am sure, Sam, we shall all greatly enjoy our stay there; Lake Nenuial I have always thought a very fair place.”

   As Sam sat and talked with the King, he was pleased to find that, beneath the robes and the finery, the man himself was unchanged. ‘But all the same,’ Sam thought, ‘he’s more like a proper king now, so to speak. After all, he had been very new to the job when we last saw him, still learning the ropes as you might say.  Not that he’s high and mighty, mind you. King he may be, but he talks just as friendly as if he’s enjoying a pint with us down the Green Dragon.’

   But Aragorn also had another reason for wishing to speak with Sam.

   “I have brought gifts for you all,” he said, “but there is something I would like to give to you now, Sam, if I may.” He opened a small pouch that he had brought with him to the table. From it he pulled out a silver brooch. It was the rayed star that he had worn on his cloak in his days as a Ranger.

   “I would like you to have this as a token of my regard for you and all that you did,” he said. “Sam, without your steadfastness and courage, we would not have had victory and none would have lived to enjoy occasions such as today. We have spoken of such things before, I know, and there is no honour I can bestow upon you that is too great or any gift I can give that is too much. But I would especially like you to have this as it is a very personal gift from me; being one of the few things I called my own in the time before I came into my inheritance. As such it has the greater value and I would give it to one whom I could esteem no higher.”

   He handed the brooch to Sam who took it, but did not speak at first as he looked at the beautiful thing in his hand. He had never really understood this need to keep offering him praise. He had after all simply done what he needed to do to look after Mr. Frodo. Oh how he wished with all his heart that his master could be with him now; he would have so enjoyed a day like today. Sam’s fingers idly traced the edges of the star. It was a lovely thing and he was very touched that the King should give it to him of all people. But greatly honoured though he was, Sam could not allow Strider to give him all the credit for the victory of the West.

   “Thank you very much; this means an awful lot to me,” he said, “but if you don’t mind my saying so, Sir, you did have quite a part to play in it all yourself, as I recall.”

 

~oo0oo~

…..He gives the Star of the Dúnedain to Master Samwise, and Elanor is made a maid of honour to Queen Arwen.

Appendix B                                                                                      The Return of the King





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List