Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Sundry Scrolls III  by Raksha The Demon

VIII.  Between Shadow and Sun (Ioreth)


I shall never forget what happened on that day of days.  Our armies had departed to the East, some said on a fool’s errand, to follow the Lord Elfstone into Mordor.  We had no word of them.  The pale sky was darkening, and a fell wind had sprung up, bringing more than the chill of weather to rattle my old bones. 

Well, rain might fall and the wind might blow, but the sick still had to be looked after, so up I went towards the walls with the messenger-boy Bergil, bearing possets for Lord Faramir and the Lady of Rohan.  Why they would brave that cold wind and evil sky to stand there and risk sickening, I did not know; but if the Lady were a quiet, sensible lass she never would have taken up arms and slain the captain of the wraiths and then where would we all be, eh?  And our dear Lord Faramir, what was he doing out of his bed?  Ah, young folks.  Sometimes they don’t care about making more work for the old.  I suppose I could understand.  It was good to step out of the Houses when one could, and take fresh air.  I would gladly sit on the bench in the herb-garden myself at times, but not when such a cold wind came sweeping out of the dark East. 

What is that you say, dearie?  Why was I was sent to bring them the possets?  The Warden wanted the Lord Faramir and the Lady Eowyn to return to the fireside, lest they catch cold.  If he had sent a young messenger lad alone, the boy would not have had the natural authority of my venerable years to command them to return.  I am not just your loving granny, my girl; I have worked at the Houses for more than two score years and my eyes are still sharp and my hands still strong.

Now where was I?  Yes, well, young Bergil and I wended our way to the walls, when suddenly the sky turned grey.  The wind blew even colder.   All looked drear and dark, even the white stones of our fair city.  And all the sounds, the little chirps of the birds, the sounds of people moving about in the Houses, the very rustle of the leaves on trees stopped right then, at that moment.  Even the wind ceased to move.

I think my heart began to jump in my breast, lass; but I couldn’t hear it beat.  Bergil and I stopped in our tracks then; we both took such fright together.  Bergil leaned against me.  I think he missed his mother then.  Time seemed to stop, as strange as it might sound to you.  All of Middle-earth seemed to be waiting.  

Lord Faramir and the Lady Éowyn saw it first, and raised their heads, so we looked up too, towards the mountains to the east.  A dark Shadow rose up, dearie; higher and higher,  so high that the very mountains looked like a row of fallen helmets at the feet of some tall, tall warrior.  Lightnings flashed about the darkness.  I thought then, for an instant, that I saw an eye within that great Shadow, looking down at us, wishing evil towards the entire world. 

I felt dizzied, though mind you, I wouldn’t have fallen, even if Bergil had not been there with me.  I thought of your mother and your brother, sent away weeks before to Lamedon for safety, and you just a wee thing in your mother’s belly; and tried to say farewell in my thoughts.

“Do not fear, Dame Ioreth,” Bergil squeaked out, setting the posset set on the ground and taking up his little dagger.  “I will defend you!”  Such a brave  lad, that one.  I put an arm around him as we watched that Shadow rise, as high as the Sun it seemed.  Then there was a deep rumbling sound, rushing in to fill the silence.  The very walls of the City trembled. 

I cannot remember when a sigh was heard, it appeared to me from everywhere, the skies and earth and waters too.  I could hear my heart beat again, fast as can be, like a tiny mouse skittering for shelter.  That was when the wind roared up again, but not so chill, just strong.  The towering Shadow began to fall, and the wind swept it up and away, and we never saw such a thing again. 

The Sun returned, and the day was fair and filled with light once more.  I looked up to the walls and saw the Lord Faramir and Lady Éowyn standing close together, raven and golden hair flying in the wind. 

What do you mean, is that all?  Why, you silly lass, what more could there be?  The Shadow had departed!  I had never thought to see such a day!

Oh yes, the possets.  I thought that the lord and lady might find some a few more minutes of the fresh, warming air to be as healing as the possets, which had gone cold anyway.  So I took up the possets and went back down to the Houses to freshen them.  Bergil would have stayed with me to carry them, but then the Perian, Meriadoc came out, crying and laughing in joy and embraced Bergil.  They were dancing a jig together as I opened the door and entered the Houses.



Author's Note:  No children or grandchildren of Ioreth are mentioned in LOTR; but I do not think it unreasonable that she should have had some.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List