Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys: Part 5 Journeys in Mirkwood  by elliska

Chapter Six: Poor choices

Galithil stood next to Legolas on the Green. To their left, Berior and Eirienil were saying goodbye to their parents. To their right, Anastor, Maidhien and Noruil stood with their mothers receiving a final lecture about behaving in their fathers' absence. The adults' horses and guards stood waiting. With a final hug and kiss for their children, Celonhael, Ollwen and Golwon mounted their horses and waved to Galithil and Legolas. Both children smiled and waved back, shouting their farewells. A moment later, Dannenion and Dolwon jumped into their horses and all the adults all moved off towards the forest and the paths that would lead them to their respective destinations--Dannenion and Dolwon to a village on the western border, the others to villages on the eastern border.

As their parents cantered away, Maidhien, Eirienil and Berior stepped back to stand with Legolas and Galithil. Anastor and Noruil, in contrast, scurried off towards their cottages. Galithil watched them leave, hoping they were not truly going to follow their fathers as they had threatened to do.

"I am worried about them," Maidhien whispered into his ear.

Galithil frowned at Anastor's shadow disappearing in the trees. He should be here with his sister, not plotting foolishness. With a sigh, he turned to Maidhien. "They will not be stupid enough to go. And if they do go, they will be caught quickly either by your adar and uncle or by the guards with them. Do not worry."

Maidhien shook her head. "No, I am not worried about Anastor and Noruil. Whatever happens to them will be no more than they deserve," she said firmly. "I am worried about adar and Uncle Dolwon." She glanced at Eirienil and Berior waving at their parents and stepped closer to Galithil, whispering again. "The southern forest is dangerous. What if they are attacked by orcs?"

"Do not worry," Galithil replied. "My adar and brother have gone south several times. And Golwon goes often. They are always fine."

"But they are warriors. Your adar and brother are captains."

"Your adar and uncle lived in the south until just before you were born and they were village leaders. They must have fought for their village before. They fought the spiders with my adar and uncles last week. Uncle Thranduil even commented at the dinner table that they were surprisingly good warriors," Galithil did not mention that Uncle Thranduil had preceded that comment by saying he was surprised they could defend themselves at all and concluded it by commenting that he had expected them to flee the battle. "They will be able to handle anything they encounter. Do not worry about them."

Maidhien's troubled expression did not change. She looked at the path her father and uncle had taken. "Is that the way your parents, brother and the king and queen went earlier this week?"

Galithil nodded. "They all went to my adar's village. Your adar and uncle are going to Selwon's village and it is..." Galithil hesitated. Selwon's village was further south and west than Aradunnon's village. Galithil was certain Maidhien would recognize their trip would be somewhat more dangerous if she knew that. "It is in the same direction," he concluded. "Within a few hours travel of my adar's village. So the path your adar and uncle are taking will already be well cleared of dangers by my adar and brother and the King."

Maidhien's shoulders seemed to relax a little in response to that. "Your adar does not much like mine. Would he still keep him safe if orcs came near Selwon's village?"

"Of course he would," Galithil assured her quickly. "And so will those two guards that went with them. That is their duty. Your adar and uncle will be fine. Trust me."

Maidhien finally graced him with an uncertain smile. Then she waved at her father one last time with one hand and slipped her other into Galithil's. He automatically squeezed her hand comfortingly. Then he imagined his father's reaction, if he were here to see this. Thinking about that, he watched Dannenion, Dolwon and their guards disappear from view, wishing for the hundredth time since his father had spoken to him about Maidhien that he knew what crime they had committed. From the corner of his eye he saw Legolas watching them as well. Legolas had long known Dannenion's crime, but he had always strongly defended being friends with Maidhien. Of course, no one had accused Legolas of 'liking' Maidhien. Being friends with her was different.

Galithil tried to ignore how warm Maidhien's small hand felt in his. 'I do not like Maidhien,' he thought. 'But I would definitely like to know what her adar did.' He glanced at Legolas, who was now talking to Eirienil. 'And Legolas thinks Uncle Thranduil let Dannenion and Dolwon go south so they would get caught doing something. I sure would like to see whatever it is that they are going to do.' He bit his lip. 'I could see it if I went with Anastor and Noruil,' he thought. Maidhien swayed a little, leaning up against him lightly. One of the things he liked about Maidhien was that she always seemed to know when he needed to think and she never interrupted him, unlike Eirienil, who seemed to like to take that opportunity to tell him what she thought he should be thinking. He smiled down at Maidhien and she smiled back. Galithil turned his gaze quickly back to the forest. 'I do not like Maidhien," he repeated to himself, pressing his fist against his thigh to emphasize each word. 'And if I follow Anastor and Noruil to see what their parents do just so that I can understand why Maidhien would not make a good member of the King's family, then I will never be able to convince Adar that I do not like her. I cannot do it.'

"We need to go inside now," Isteth's voice cut across Galithil's thoughts. "I must return to the Great Hall and you children need to be about your lessons. Rodonon will be waiting for you in the library."

Galithil dropped Maidhien's hand. "I have to go," he said, a little more willing than usual to accept a call to go to lessons. "Come meet us after lessons by the bridge. We can have more fun than normal this afternoon without your brother and cousin trying to pester us to do stupid things."

Maidhien nodded in agreement and smiled, making a little wave to Galithil and his cousins as he turned to follow them onto the bridge.

"Why will Anastor and Noruil not be 'pestering' us this afternoon?" Legolas asked as they crossed the river.

"They are following their adars south, remember? I told you they were going to do it," Galithil whispered.

Legolas frowned. "You do not really think they will do something that stupid, do you?"

"Yes, I do," Galithil answered with a shrug. "How could it surprise you that they would do something stupid?"

Legolas laughed. "True. Do you think we should tell someone? Their naneths? Or...well there must be someone else who would care and stop them."

Galithil scowled. "I am not telling on them," he answered back sharply.

Legolas bit his lip and looked away.

"You are not a little disappointed to not be allowed to go?" Galithil asked as they walked through the entrance hall of the stronghold towards the corridor that led to the library. "I mean, if it is safe enough for our naneth's to go, surely it is safe enough for us. We are not much less skilled with weapons than them."

"Yes,"  Legolas admitted without looking at Galithil. "I was a bit angry when I heard they were going to help but we could not."

"I think we would have been a great help," Galithil said, warming to the topic. "We could have done lots of tasks and learned so much. Moving a whole village must be very complicated. Something we should know how to manage in case we ever have to help in a similar situation in the future..."

"We are not allowed to go and it is too late to debate it," Legolas interrupted. "Our parents left three days ago."

"I know," Galithil responded, deflating.

"And I will tell if you sneak off to follow Anastor and Noruil--fair warning on that," Legolas added, pointing a finger at Galithil. "Going south alone is too dangerous and I will not sit back and let you be killed."

Galithil sighed. He knew it was stupid. Too dangerous. And he knew his father would lock him in a cell in the lower stronghold until the next Age if he went. "I am not sneaking off," he muttered. "I am right here with you, going to lessons. How can I be sneaking off if I am right here?" He scuffed his feet along the stone floor. "I really wish we could go, though."

*~*~*

For at least the tenth time, Legolas stopped writing and looked at the empty place where his cousin should be sitting. Galithil said he was only going to be gone for a minute to get something he forgot in his room. That had been nearly an hour ago.

Eirienil and Berior glanced in Legolas's direction when his quill stopped scratching on his paper. This time, Eirienil let her own quill droop and she leaned towards him.

"No point in getting in as much trouble as Galithil," she whispered as quietly as she could. Her gaze strayed to Rodonon, who was sitting at his own desk and wielding his quill like a knife, his strokes sharp and deliberate. Their tutor's mouth was set in an irritated frown as he studiously ignored his student's absence.

"I am worried about Galithil," Legolas whispered in reply as Eirienil returned her attention to her mathematics.

Eirienil rolled her eyes. "Uncle Aradunnon never punishes Galithil for missing lessons. He will get a lecture at worst."

Legolas shook his head. "No, I am worried about where he is," he said. As he spoke, he let his quill fall from his hand entirely and he slid forward to sit on the edge of his seat, looking at Rodonon.

"What are you doing?" Eirienil asked loudly enough to draw their tutor's attention.

Legolas sighed and stood. "I am just going to go see if I can help Galithil hurry up and find whatever he is looking for so he can come back to the library," he said. Ignoring Eirienil's comment about being as foolish as Galithil and Rodonon's order to sit back down, Legolas exited the library as quickly as he could without openly running.

Galithil would not have followed Anastor and Noruil, he reassured himself as he hurried down the corridor that led from the library to the Great Gates. Galithil had even agreed that going south without permission was stupid. Legolas frowned and picked up his pace to a trot. He thought he remembered Galithil admitting that Anastor and Noruil were stupid to follow their fathers. He searched his memory of their earlier conversation on the Green as he dodged past the single guard at the Gates--a Fifth Year from the training program, since all the regular guards had gone south with the King. He leapt up the stairs to the bridge two at a time.

"Legolas, you are supposed to be in your lessons, are you not?" the guard shouted, taking a few steps after him before he apparently remembered he was not allowed to leave his post.

"Yes," Legolas called over his shoulder, but he was already jumping down from the bridge to the grass on the Green. The guard yelled something else, but Legolas did not hear him. Instead he was scanning the Green and the banks of the river. There was no sign of Galithil anywhere. Legolas ran in the direction of Brethil's cottage, making a wide arc towards the barn in order to peer into the yard to see if Galithil might be there with the dogs or one of the remaining horses. He was not.

When he ran into Brethil's yard, he saw his friend at a work bench in his father's shop behind the cottage.

Brethil stared at him, grinning. "I am finished with my lessons for the day," he said, putting down a hammer and stepping around the bench to greet his friend. "But you have more lessons than I do, so I know you could not possibly be done. Have you skipped out on them?" he asked, his voice rising in amusement.

Legolas shook his head. "Galithil is not here? Have you seen him?"

Brethil laughed. "That makes a little more sense. So Galithil has abandoned studying in favor of having a bit of a holiday while lord Aradunnon is in the south. Well, I hope he enjoys himself."

"Have you seen him?" Legolas repeated.

The grin faded slightly from Brethil's face and he studied Legolas. "No, I only just finished my lessons and adar asked me to do some simple finishing work for him while he delivers a chest he made for Tavoren. Galithil has not been here. Adar would have sent him packing back to the stronghold if he had been." A ghost of the grin returned. "I imagine he is with Maidhien. She is the only one of us with no lessons and parents who do not care to enforce your family's rules."

Legolas scowled and turned without another word, running in the direction of Maidhien's cottage. He barely even heard Brethil shouting after him, asking what was wrong.

When he arrived in Maidhien's yard, she was not in there and the door to the cottage was closed. The lid of the barrel that collected rainwater next to their porch was ajar and Legolas could see the barrel was nearly empty--this summer had been dry. The buckets that normally stood next to the barrel to carry water into the cottage were missing. Maidhien and her mother must be fetching water from the river.

Legolas ran back towards the river and stronghold, detouring to check in a few places where he and his cousins normally played, including the tall beech, the little glade near Berior's cottage and the thick grove of willows near the river where they liked to hide. Galithil was in none of these places. Legolas emerged onto the Green, by now panting slightly, and looked up and down the river's bank again. He saw no sign of Maidhien or her mother where the ellyth usually drew water from the river. Nor did he see Galithil where they normally swam or launched rafts into the river. Indeed, Legolas could see the raft he and Galithil had built this year sitting securely where they had left it the last time they had floated it on the river.

With a frustrated sigh, he ran to the bridge and back into the stronghold, past the young guard. Once inside, he stood in the middle of the entry hall, hands on his hips, and thought. Galithil might be exploring the lower corridors in the stronghold. He had never grown tired of searching for secret passages. Legolas trotted off towards the door that led to the underground levels. He stuck his head into the room where the barrels were pushed into the river. It was empty. Then he checked the door to the room where they had discovered Thranduil and Aradunnon stored spare armaments--shields, spears and even a few swords and knives. Galithil had never found the keys to it, but that had not stopped him from trying, on occasion, to snare a weapon with a rope or belt or even cloak cast through the cell's little window. Those attempts had led to the rule that the children were not allowed alone in the lower halls. But Galithil was not here either.

"What are you doing down here, Legolas?" Galion said from directly behind him.

Legolas jumped, startled, and turned to face him . "Have you seen Galithil?"

Galion frowned. "Pilfering wine again, is he? That child is worse than a rat in the food stores. I am going to speak to lord Aradunnon about him again," he declared.

Legolas just shook his head and dashed around Galion, heading back to the entry hall.

If Galithil were in the lower halls, Galion would have likely already caught him. Or Galion's presence would have driven Galithil to leave in the interest of not being caught. Legolas's heart was now beating hard for reasons that had nothing to do with the fact that he had spent nearly an hour running from place to place looking for his cousin. He had looked in all the likely places and Galithil was no where to be found. Legolas burst through the door into the entry hall and looked at the doors to the Great Hall. He was going to have to tell someone that  his cousin had followed Anastor and Noruil south. Galithil was likely never going to speak to him ever again for this, but he had warned him that he would do it. Going south was stupid, plain and simple. He would rather have Galithil remain alive to be furious with him than see him dead.

"I have to speak with Uncle Hallion," he said, running up to the guard outside the Great Hall. "Or Uncle Engwe or Aunt Isteth or daernaneth. Who ever is in there."

"Lord Hallion is listening to petitions," the guard said. "He cannot be disturbed."

"Galithil has gone south, thinking he can help move the villages. I have to tell Uncle Hallion, because someone has to stop him."

The guard's eyes widened at that and he reached for the door handle without any further argument. "Stay with me in the back until Lord Hallion acknowledges us," he ordered and Legolas nodded. Then he opened the door and stepped into the Hall.

Legolas stood next to the guard, looking at Hallion intently and willing him to glance to the back of the room. The king's steward was listening carefully to an elf Legolas did not know. They were speaking about some sort of payment. Legolas took a step forward and felt the guard's hand fall on his shoulder. He stood still, tensely.

The motion had been enough to draw Hallion's attention. His brows knit together as he studied Legolas and the guard briefly. Then he returned his focus to the petition, concluding it in a manner that Legolas recognized was a bit rushed. Despite that, the elf was smiling as he bowed to Hallion and turned to stride out of the Hall. With effort, Legolas managed to restrain himself from running forward until the elf was nearly all the way out of the Hall. The moment Hallion lifted his hand to motion him forward, Legolas pulled away from the guard's grasp on his shoulder and rushed up to his uncle.

"What is wrong, Legolas?" Hallion asked, looking at him with open concern.

"Galithil has gone with Anastor and Noruil to the southern villages," Legolas declared.

Hallion's eyes widened. "Are you certain? You saw him go? When?" he asked, taking Legolas by the upper arm and pulling him swiftly in the direction of the doors.

Legolas had to jog to keep up. "I did not see him go, but after we said goodbye to Aunt Ollwen, Uncle Celonhael and Uncle Golwon this morning, instead of coming to lessons, he said he had to get something he forgot in his room. He never came to lessons and I have looked everywhere for him."

Hallion seemed to slump a little and he stopped his charge towards the doors. "That does not mean he, Anastor and Noruil went south by themselves, Legolas. He is probably just somewhere that you have not looked."

Legolas shook his head. "He told me Anastor and Noruil were going to do it. He told me he thought they were stupid to do it, or I would have said something sooner. I never thought he would go with them. But he is not here, Uncle Hallion. I have been looking for him for a long time and I cannot find him."

Hallion frowned and strode out of the Great Hall. Legolas followed him. They walked directly to the Great Gates. The young guard jumped to attention and then bowed hastily when he saw Hallion.

"Have you seen Galithil leave the stronghold today?" Hallion asked the guard.

Legolas loosed an irritated breath. If he had thought of simply asking the guard, he could have saved himself an hour of searching.

The guard nodded his head. "Yes, my lord. He went outside just after dawn along with his uncles and aunt and cousins and came back in after Lord Golwon and Lord Celonhael departed."

Legolas shook his head. "No, after that. How long after that did he go out again?"

The guard stood a little straighter and looked down his nose at Legolas. "You are the only child that has gone galavanting about this morning when you should be in lessons," he replied. Then he looked at Hallion. "Galithil has not gone back outside."

Hallion nodded, a hint of annoyance in his expression.

Legolas looked between his uncle and the guard. "That is not possible. I have looked everywhere for him and I cannot find him."

"You have looked outside, apparently, if that is what you were running about doing earlier," the guard retorted. "But I just said he did not go outside. Did you look in his room?"

Legolas blinked. He had not looked in the family chambers for his cousin, but that was because Galithil would never bother to duck out of lessons just to sit in his room.

Hallion was waiting for an answer to that question, and obviously had guessed the answer, since he crossed his arms across his chest.

"Galithil would not be sitting in his room. He would rather be with us in lessons," Legolas began.

Hallion nodded his thanks to the guard and pulled Legolas away, stopping half way between the Gate guard and the guard by the Great Hall. "Then go look for him in your naneth's garden. Or in the kitchen. Did you look there?"

Legolas looked down and shook his head.

"Or perhaps helping lord Engwe," Hallion continued. "Galithil much prefers copying to lessons and Engwe would cheerfully take any help he could get with Galithil's adar away." He paused and leaned down to look at Legolas eye-to-eye. "And with your adar gone, I do not have time for distractions like this Legolas. Look for Galithil if you feel you must. Then finish your lessons and come help Isteth with your share of the copying. Understood?"

Legolas frowned. "Galithil is not going to be in naneth's garden and he definitely is not going to be copying for Uncle Engwe," he said, intending to add that he still was sure Galithil had gone after Anastor and Noruil.

"Then he must be somewhere else in the stronghold, because he has not left it," Hallion interrupted, gesturing towards the Gate guard. "If he is in the stronghold, even if he is missing his lesson, he is safe enough. We will let your uncle deal with Galithil's lack of scholarship when he returns. Now you must let me manage these petitions. Go do your own lessons, Legolas," he concluded firmly. With that he turned and walked back to the Great Hall.

Legolas watched him until the doors of the Hall closed. Then he ran to the door that led to the family chambers. Not expecting to find his cousin, he nonetheless looked in Galithil's room, his own room, the family sitting room and finally his naneth's garden. All were empty. Then his breath caught when he thought of a way to tell for certain if Galithil had sneaked off. He dashed out of the sitting room and into Galithil's family suite. Rather than going into Galithil's room, he went into Aradunnon's. Galithil's bow, which was supposed to be in Aradunnon's room as a punishment, was missing.

*~*~*

Thranduil moved silently through the twisted trees, following Aradunnon and Dolgailon to the base of the Southern border patrol. It had been hundreds of years since Thranduil had traveled south of the Emyn Duir. Now that he was here, he knew he would have never considered allowing Lindomiel to help Amoneth move the village if he had truly realized the extent of the Shadow's reach. He was astounded that Aradunnon had let Amoneth come south.

It was midday, but the air was thick and heavy with a sooty mist that seemed to devour any light that dared touch it, cloaking them in a dread Shadow. The river they had been following along the foot of the mountains was stagnant and its water black. The trees were gnarled and rotten--bare of leaves, despite the fact that it was summer. They were not mournful, as he remembered the trees in the south. They were a twisted and malevolent presence that heightened the tension Thranduil felt, rather than providing the sense of security he normally enjoyed in the arms of the forest. But what seemed most oppressive was the utter silence of the forest. Ostarndor had commented that the new dark presence they now suspected was the Witch King had left him barely able to breath. Thranduil found it difficult to breath right here, within sight of the base of the Southern Patrol.

Aradunnon and Dolgailon slowed their pace. At the same time, a figure slipped into view from the trees a short distance away. The warrior saluted to Aradunnon and Dolgailon, stared a moment at Thranduil and then turned his attention back to the troop commander as he began asking questions. Thranduil looked about as he waited for Aradunnon to finish speaking to the perimeter guard and his gaze fell on an odd stone formation below them. This close to the Emyn Duir, it was not uncommon to see rocks scattered on the forest floor, but as Thranduil studied the formation, he realized it did not appear to be entirely natural. Its base was too uniformly round. It was covered in an oily, black slime, but despite that Thranduil could make out shapes on the rock. Not the sort of shape erosion would make when rain dripped from the branches above, but rather ones that seemed to be intentionally cut. He thought he saw animal shapes on the stone.  

Realization hit. Thranduil swiftly climbed several branches lower in the tree for a better look at the stones below, his mind refusing to accept what his eyes were seeing. His descent was stopped when a hand grasped his upper arm.

"No further, my lord, please," Conuiön said quietly. "Even so close to the patrol's home base, we do not know if the surrounding area is safe."

Thranduil pointed at the stones. "Is that...? Are we...?" He could not manage to force out his question.

In response, Conuiön looked at him evenly, his mouth set in a manner that made it appear that he was swallowing back bile. "Yes, my lord. I believe so, though it is impossible to say for certain given that the area is completely unrecognizable. But we have been traveling in the right direction. And that," he said gesturing toward the stones, "is certainly what is left of the fountain that stood in the center of the garden. I think this is the location of the old capital."

Thranduil closed his eyes. In his mind he saw the old capital as it had been the last time Oropher had stood in it; as it had been when he and Lindomiel had married in it--green and lush and vibrantly alive. He heard the sound of birds singing and the water running in the fountain and river. He smelled the fragrant scents of the herbs and flowers that once grew in the garden below him. He did not want to open his eyes again to see the Shadow that surrounded him now, but the smell of rot and the oppressive silence that he could not block out conspired to rob him of the refuge of denial. The grief he felt in the face of this destruction was almost overwhelming.

"Dolgailon, see to the accommodations of the warriors we have brought with us and then join us," Aradunnon's voice said, interrupting Thranduil's thoughts. "Ostarndor has a report for us that is rather urgent."

Thranduil heard Dolgailon call to the warriors and begin to speak to them about the effects of the Shadow--how it was natural to feel anything from uncomfortable to openly afraid or sick when one first came south. His tone was practiced, as if this were a speech he had made numerous times. It probably was, given that Dolgailon had been the captain of the Southern border patrol for hundreds of years.

"It looks as if you need to listen to Dolgailon's talk as well, my lord," Aradunnon said very softly, speaking into Thranduil's ear.

Only then did Thranduil realize he had not yet opened his eyes. He clenched his jaw and turned to look in the direction of his brother's voice. "I admit that I was...shocked when I realized where we are."

Aradunnon nodded. "I remember the first time I came back. My reaction was not much better. And at that time, there were still green things here." He put a hand on Thranduil's shoulder. "Come, Ostarndor is waiting for us and Dolgailon will not be long with the new warriors."

He led Thranduil towards a tree that stood above all the others in the area. Its upper branches supported a simple platform. A few shriveled leaves, the only green that Thranduil had seen all day, attempted to shelter the flet. When Thranduil saw their destination, it took all his will not to stop and simply stare at the tree. When this had been the capital, that flet was where he had watched the sunrise every morning. It was where he had proposed to Lindomiel. He forced himself to focus on the present as he climbed the rope ladder to the platform.

"Commander," Ostarndor greeted Aradunnon with a bow. The captain's eyes widened slightly when the king appeared as well. "My lord," he said, bowing again.

Thranduil nodded to him as he looked out over the sickened trees and Shadow that were now the only view from the flet.

"We have news for you, captain," Aradunnon said as they all settled on the floor of the platform. "The day after you spoke to the King, he spoke to some Men from Arthedain. Their kingdom has been destroyed by the Lord of the Nazgul."

"Destroyed?" Ostarndor exclaimed.

Aradunnon only nodded. "In revenge, Men from Gondor and Elves from Imladris attacked and destroyed Angmar. The Lord of the Nazgul and a fragment of his forces fled from Eriador."

Ostarndor scowled. "That explains a good many things," he said grimly.

"Indeed," Aradunnon said. "The King and I are going closer to Dol Guldur. We want to confirm that we now have the Lord of the Nazgul in the forest."

Ostarndor shook his head. "You cannot go now. Our scouts have reported orcs massing along the Forest Road. They are several hundred strong at least and organizing to march north. We are sending messengers to warn the nearby villages and your arrival with fresh warriors could not have been better timed. We have a battle to plan, I am afraid, if we are to protect those villages while they prepare to move to their new locations," he said, looking between Aradunnon and Thranduil.

Thranduil met his gaze evenly. "Good, I would be happy to take out my anger over the condition of this forest on something so deserving as that many orcs," he said. Not to mention the fact that Lindomiel was in one of the villages the orcs threatened, he thought to himself. There was no possibility he would allow any of those foul creatures anywhere near her.

*~*~*

Hallion scribbled a few notes on the petition he was reading before putting it aside to scan the next one in the stack. If he could finish reading tomorrow's petitions before dinner, he was confidant he could complete the day's remaining work in a reasonable amount of time after dinner. He flipped through the stack of papers he was reading as he put aside another petition, counting how many he had left to read. Hunger told him it was nearly dinner time, but he knew Dieneryn was running late managing Lindomiel and Amoneth's household duties after helping him in the Great Hall part of the morning and afternoon.

It hardly mattered if dinner was late, since so few people would be at the table. Indeed, the family quarters seemed unusually quiet this evening. Normally, when he was shut up in the King's office finishing the day's work before dinner, Hallion could hear the rest of the family, especially the children, chatting in the sitting room while waiting for Lindomiel to call them to the table. Tonight, it was silent, not a voice to be heard. Hallion was pleasantly surprised that the children had been as peaceful as they apparently had been, with the exception of the one interruption Legolas had made earlier.

"Last petition," he said out loud to no one when he finally got to the bottom of the pile of papers. He read through it quickly, eyes on the paper as he simultaneously put the stopper back on the ink had been using and reached for a blotter to wipe off his quill. He was certain that Dieneryn would be calling him for dinner at any moment.

A soft knock on the office door told him he was correct.

"I am just finishing up. I will be there in a moment," he called, pulling open a desk drawer to store the petitions, ink and quill.

The office door opened slightly just as Hallion was standing and a little face peered into the room. Hallion's eyebrows shot up.

"What can I do for you, Maidhien? he asked, gesturing for her to come in. She opened the door the rest of the way at the invitation and rushed in, stopping several paces short of the desk and looking at him with wide eyes. Hallion frowned. She was very obviously worried about something. He looked behind her for Galithil or Legolas. When neither child appeared, Hallion's frown deepened. "Where is Galithil?" he asked, sitting on one of the chairs at the meeting table in the office.

"He is not here. Neither is Legolas," she said, taking a few more steps towards him.

"They are not with you?"

Maidhien shook her head.

"Then how did you get in here?" Hallion asked.

Maidhien made an impatient face. "I just walked in. There is no guard at the door to these rooms like there usually is and the guard at the Gates was busy talking to someone," she said quickly. Then she held up her hands in response to Hallion's concerned expression. "Please listen to me. Nana would not listen and someone really needs to."

Hallion studied Maidhien. She was even more anxious than when she first came in. Hallion could not imagine what Maidhien had tried to tell her mother that she would now be satisfied to tell him. Then his breath caught. Unless it was about Galithil or Legolas--that would explain why she would come into the stronghold looking for someone to tell. And if neither Galithil not Legolas were with her, that did not bode well. "I will listen to you, Maidhien. Of course I will," he said patting the chair next to him. "What is it that you want to tell me?"

Maidhien loosed a long breath and relief flooded her face. "Ada told Anastor and Noruil that they could not go south to the village with him, but they followed him anyway. And at first Galithil said they were stupid for doing it, but then he changed his mind for some reason that he would not tell me and he went after them. I told nana what they did and she did not believe me, so I came here to tell Legolas, because he would have stopped Galithil, but the guard at the Gate said Legolas already caused enough trouble for one day and that he was finally in lessons, so he would not let me go talk to him. So I stayed on the Green and waited for him to come out and when he did he had his bow with him and I told him that Galithil went after Anastor and Noruil, and he said he knew it, and he took a horse from the stable and he left too. You have to believe me. I know they will get hurt if someone does not go after them."

By the time Maidhien finished her story, she had tears in her eyes.

Hallion could barely draw a breath to speak himself. If Galithil had truly gone south! And if Legolas had gone after his cousin because Hallion had failed to listen to him. "When did all this happen?" he finally asked.

"This afternoon, before lunch. I tried to get into the stronghold earlier to tell someone since my nana would not listen, but that guard would not let me in after Legolas left because he said he had enough of mouthy children for one day. So I had to wait until the guards changed this evening and I told the new one I was coming in to meet Eirienil so he let me in the entry hall and when he turned around to watch out the Gates, I came in to look for someone."

Hallion frowned. "Before lunch? That cannot be right. Legolas told me Galithil had gone south during morning petitions. We asked the guard if Galithil had left the stronghold and he said he had not. I do not see how Galithil could have left the stronghold this morning without the Gate guard seeing him leave. That is impossible."

Maidhien shook her head. "He could just go out that door in the sitting room behind the cabinet--the one that comes out in my cave on the back side of the stronghold. Then he could sneak across the river and Green when the guard was looking somewhere else."

Hallion's mouth fell open and he leaned forward towards her. "You and Galithil know about that door, do you?" he asked in a very soft voice.

Maidhien nodded matter-of-factly. "Galithil found it the first time I showed him my hiding place in that cave. It only opens for him though. I cannot make it open."

"Who else knows about the door?" Hallion asked.

"No one. Galithil did not even tell Legolas he knew about it. And I did not tell anyone because Galithil calls it a secret door. And since it is in the stronghold, I figured it must be an important secret. And besides, it is in the back of my hiding place and I have only ever showed that to Galithil. I do not want everyone to know where it is because then it would not be a good hiding place anymore."

Hallion loosed a long breath. "Good," he said firmly. Then he grasped Maidhien's shoulders. "Listen to me carefully, Maidhien, because this is very important: you are right that the door you and Galithil found is a secret door. Very few people know about it and we want it to stay that way. I want you to not tell anyone about the door, just as you have been doing, and after we retrieve Galithil, Legolas, your brother and cousin, we will talk more about the door you found. Do you understand?"

Maidhien nodded and at the mention of Galithil and Legolas, tears welled up in her eyes again. "But you believe me and you are going to go after them?"

"I believe you," he said grimly. "And I am definitely going to have someone go after them."

"You are not going yourself?" she demanded.

"I cannot leave the capital with Lord Thranduil gone. Someone must stay here."

And Hallion's mind rushed as he tried to think of someone to send. There was hardly anyone left in the capital that he could trust to such a task. All the children's fathers were gone. The captains of the nearby patrols had gone south with the King and troop commander, along with the most experienced warriors in those patrols--the stronghold and capital were being guarded by Fifth Year members of the training program, for pity's sake. All of the King's guards had gone south with the various members of the family. Engwe had to stay in the capital to manage patrols in Aradunnon's absence. Hallion could not possibly manage the patrols on top of everything else himself. Amglaur! He could send Amglaur along with one of the two lieutenants of the training program that were still in the capital.

"I will send Legolas's daeradar after him," he told Maidhien. "Lord Amglaur will fetch everyone back safely. Let us go find him and send him off. Then we will go explain to your naneth and aunt what has happened and how we are dealing with it so they will not worry."

Hallion stood and guided an obviously relieved Maidhien from the King's office. He prayed that her trust that he could bring the children home safely was well-placed.

*~*~*

Adar/ada - Father/dad

Naneth/nana - Mother/mum

Elleth/ellyth - Female elf(ves)






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List