Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Trotter  by Dreamflower

 

Epilogue: Full Circle

Bilbo approached young Pippin after luncheon. It was still difficult to get used to seeing the lad so much taller than he-- why, he'd scarcely got used to the idea that the bouncy young child he remembered was very nearly grown, before they had all left on their errand. And then he had returned, and along with young Meriadoc, was much taller than ever before. He chuckled. "Pippin, my lad, I used to tell you that one day you would be taller than the Bullroarer! It seems as though you've finally accomplished that!"

Pippin smiled at him. "I never believed you, Cousin Bilbo. I'm glad I was wrong."

Bilbo reached in his pocket and felt the slim volume resting there. Yes, this would be only right and fitting. "I feel like a turn in the garden; come, lad, lend an old hobbit your arm."

Pippin smiled, and did so. But they were immediately surrounded by the other three hobbits. "Uncle Bilbo--" Frodo started to say something, but Bilbo waved a hand dismissively. "I don't need all four of you looming over me. I'm feeling rather Tookish at the moment, and I think that one Took can do the job nicely."

Pippin grinned in triumph, and Frodo gave Bilbo a rather sharp look, but allowed Sam to draw him and Merry away. Bilbo was certain that Frodo would have questions later. But later could take care of itself.

"Come along lad. Don't let's waste a lovely afternoon when I am feeling spry enough to walk."

"Yes, Cousin Bilbo," he said politely, a slight glitter of curiosity in his own eyes.

They wandered out onto the paths outside, the autumn air a bit crisper than Bilbo recalled in years past, but he was bundled up well enough. "I've had a nice life here among the Elves, Pippin. But I have to confess I've missed the Shire-- let's go up this path, I haven't been this way in a long time--"

"You could come back, Cousin Bilbo. Frodo would be overjoyed to have you with him again. And think of all the talk it would cause! Why you'd set tongues to wagging!"

A brief cloud passed over Bilbo's face. He shook his head. "No, I do not think so, child. It would create all sorts of difficulties for both Frodo and Samwise. And I've no wish whatsoever to see the S.-B.s living in Bag End."

Pippin bit his lip. "I forget sometimes, about that."

Their path took them across a small bridge, that ran above a clear streamlet. Just beyond was a pleasant glade, surrounded by shapely trees just coming into their autumn colours. In the center was a circular flower bed-- nothing was in bloom now, but the foliage was still green. Next to it was a small wooden bench, gracefully carved.

"Shall we rest a moment?" Bilbo had brought Pippin here deliberately, but he was certainly feeling winded. His old bones were not up to long rambles any longer.

Pippin guided him to the bench, looking about curiously. The bench was hobbit-sized. "This somehow seems a much more hobbity part of the gardens than I've seen before, Cousin Bilbo. Did the Elves make this for you? It's very pleasant."

"They made the bench for me, but not the garden." They sat down.

Pippin grinned. "Even though I am taller, my toes still don't reach the floor in Big Folks' chairs. This is nice." His attention wandered to the flower bed, where a stone plaque was visible from the bench. It was graven with intricately carved words. "What does that say, Bilbo?"

"Look carefully, Pippin-lad. Those are not Elven letters, and the words are in the Common Speech."

Pippin stood up, and ambled over, his hands in his pockets. Bilbo watched him stare at the plaque, as he had done himself, many years before. Although the letters and words were in Westron, they were in the graceful and flowing style of Elves, rather than the simple rounded letters that hobbits used, and it took a moment to fix them in ones' mind. He watched, as Pippin jerked his head in surprise, and then turned to look at Bilbo. "Bilbo! It says--"

"It says, "Here lie the mortal remains of Hildifons of the Shire, beloved companion and Elf-friend, known among the Dúnedain as Trotter the Ranger. May he find Adventure beyond the Circles of Arda." Bilbo reached into his pocket, and brought out the journal.

"Let me show you something, Peregrin Took. I was not entirely without the company of a hobbit in my years here."

Pippin came and sat beside him, and marveled at the little brown book. For a while, they perused it together. "Just think of all his adventures!" said Pippin at last. "But he never got to go home."

Bilbo took Pippin's hands and closed them over the book. "He can now. Take his words back to the Shire, Peregrin, back to the Green Hills of Tookland that he missed for so many years. It is time for Hildifons Took to go home."





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List