Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Five Voices  by Rhapsody

It was such a gentle cry, before it escalated into an indignant wail, followed by the sobs of another person. The sounds were nearly muted by the rolling thunder that followed. Gildor halted his horse immediately, his ears keen to find the location of the two persons in distress. The day had started out with a clear blue sky, but as the noontide approached, it had turned into a violent April storm. Today his route lay close to the Shire and he spotted none of the Hobbits on the fields – quite logically so given the deluge of the past hours. However, worry settled in his heart given the muddy state of the roads. It might be that the cries he had heard belonged to someone who had slipped of the road and into the ditch. As he dismounted quickly, the cry seemed to grow softer. For a moment, he stood there silently, drinking in the sights and surroundings, allowing his senses to reach out for the creatures in need of help.

It was then when he noticed a suckling sound, followed by crooning belonging to a woman. Carefully he walked into the direction from whence it came, placing his feet with care so that he would not slip. Once he brushed aside bramble branches, he found them: a hobbit lass with a bloodied baby in her arms, the umbilical cord still connected them both. At first, she seemed not to notice him, but when he slipped forwards by accident, a startled cry tumbled from her lips.

“Have no fear lass, I am here to help you and your little babe,” Gildor gently said as he kneeled down.

“It has come out,” the lass immediately answered, “He just had to come too soon and I’m not sure how I can return home with him…”

“With the cord uncut.” Gildor answered to her, “Let me first wrap your child into my cloak, and then we will see to you.”

“I should have stayed at home. I had light cramps in the morning, but both my Daisy and May took such a long time getting there. And now here I lie, with my boy and...” It was as if realisation fully struck her at that moment.

Gildor observed her with a kind gaze before he accepted the young hobbit and wrapped his cloak gently around the newborn babe. Before he could attend to the mother, a shiver coursed through him – the telltale sign a vision was just lingering beneath the surface. This little child would be special, but for now in this drizzling rain, he had to act swiftly. He swiftly removed two leather straps that had kept his braids in place, then he placed the straps on the cord and cut off all blood flow. “Have you named your son, my lady?”

The hobbit lass looked up at him, distraction apparent in her eyes at his question. Since no answer came, Gildor spoke softly to himself as he studied the infant’s face, “May you live a prosperous life, Samwise the Brave.”

“Samwise, I like the sound of that. Since you suggested such a fine name for this lad, my name is Bell, Bell Gamgee sir.” Bell tried to answer as properly as she knew.

“I will carry you both back to my horse and get you home safe and sound,” the elf answered smoothly and as he gathered both mother and child in his arms, he started to hum a song. Bell nodded off into a slumber easily; however, her babe suddenly gazed up at him. Gildor made sure that Bell’s breathing remained even while he tried to place her securely in the saddle, keeping the baby in his arms.

“This might seem like an eventful start to your life, young Sam. May your courage make you stand tall in what is to come, may your shyness and plain life be preparation and shield to carry of which you are yet unaware. I foresee that one day your loyalty will as sharp as a sword to defend those so dear to you. And so much shall depend on you, when the weight you have to carry might become too much.” Gildor sighed softly when the little boy tried to grasp his thumb and he tried balance the little boy carefully once he mounted his horse. For a few seconds he made sure Bell sat safe once he wrapped his arm around her, balancing her babe in another. “And yes, we shall light your way when you give in to your curiosity to seek us out, but for now we need to protect your mum and future. The road to follow is uncertain for us all. I do think that you shall enjoy it nonetheless.” With a gentle nudge, he urged his horse forwards to seek out the one house he knew that would not panic at the sight of an elf: the one at Bag End, Hobbiton.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List