Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Standoff  by Elvensong

‘There he sits, staring off into nothingness. All my fortune for one good snowball right about now.’ Thought Gimli as he stared up all the mountains above him longingly. The Elf had made quite a target for himself, constantly standing; being rearguard, staying just separated enough to allow for some sneaky Dwarf attack. ‘Contrary to what self-centered Elves may think, we Dwarves can be quite sneaky and quiet when we need to be, we just don’t make a habit of it. We respect the other races and no not enjoy giving them heart attacks every time we come close and speak unless miserable…..’ “Gimli!” A Dwarf was not well known for his ability to jump vertically, yet this Dwarf could have easily reached the head of dragon with his startled leap. “Aragorn, what is it? I might have taken your head off.” The son of Gloin gave a menacing look to the Ranger. ‘Yes, that’s it, make them think you were on guard, Damn Elf, causing me trouble again!’ Gimli tried to quiet his thoughts. Smirking, the man continued, “I was just wishing to know if you would take a watch tonight?” A plan coming into his mind, Gimli agreed, “Of course I will take one, a later one tonight. Wake me when you wish me to stand guard.” “I shall, have a good rest.” Leaving Gimli alone with his thoughts, Aragorn wished to know why the Dwarf would seek that watch, but decided not to question what the Dwarf was planning. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ‘I shall wait till tonight, then I shall surprise that smug Elf!’ ‘He’s up to something. He’s going to try something foolish and I shall have one more reason to laugh at that pathetic Dwarf.’ Legolas, trying to keep his face as stoic as possible in order to maintain that Elvish air he laughing on the inside. ‘No wonder my father found his so annoying. They never keep to themselves and always see a need to bother those trying to remain peaceful.’ Deciding to find out what this mean little Dwarf had up his mean little sleeve, Legolas sat for the night at the base of a rock in order to tempt the other member of the Fellowship into showing his hand to the Elf. ‘He will find that whatever he’s planning will never work and he might as well accept the fact that he shall never live up to me.’ Catching his own pun, he chuckled to himself. Gimli, having not been able to sleep anyway, went towards Aragorn’s watch position on the far rock. They had been taking the passage south for many days and all welcomed a quiet night. Fears of being discovered loomed constantly over their heads. Tapping the man on the shoulder, Aragorn smiled at his comrade. “I have seen nothing out of the ordinary. Peaceful watch, Gimli.” Releasing his high point to Gimli, Aragorn climbed down towards the general area of the group. They slept near each other, but not too close. On any given night, the four hobbits would sleep closely, creating a pile of hairy feet and curly hairy heads. The two men would usually sleep a few feet away from either side, showing no distain or desire to be too close to each other. Gimli himself would find the place farthest from the Elf, said Elf usually being up a tree so, unfortunately, Gimli was often made to guess where the Elf was for he had yet to master the ability to spot the Elf once airborne. Setting himself up on the rock, Gimli could not believe his luck. There was his quarry and for the first time, he was completely on the ground. The trees were becoming more and more rare as they got father from Rivendell, and this was not the first time the Elf had been forced onto the ground, but usually he would find some isolated high rock face to hide himself out on. This ground position would make things much easier. Long ago, when Gimli had been many years younger, his father spoke to him about his treatment while in the realm of Thranduil, that annoying Legolas’ father. Gloin had recalled to Gimli how the Elves would enjoy watching them in their cages, wondering what went on in their minds, thinking them so funny and awkward looking. He never forgot that tale and swore to avenge his father’s mishandlings by those elves. Given the long life of elves, he was also certain that this Elf must have been there and, no doubt, joined in the merrymaking at his father’s and the rest of his kin’s expense. Revenge would indeed be a dish that was best served cold. Cold as mud, in this case. Spying the Elf’s constant desire to be clean and pristine, he decided not only to show how sneaky a Dwarf could get, but also how dirty an Elf could get. After scanning the horizon for anything, not to ignore his watcher duties of course, Gimli climbed down and found step one to his masterplan: Dirt. Being a Dwarf, he knew his dirt and this was of great quality, great mud creating quality. Thus, step two: Water. Taking out his water skin, he gave the dirt a good soaking a created fine and lovely mud. ‘This shall take that arrogant look off of that Elf’s face and bring him down to mingle with us mortals for a while.’ Gimli laughed to himself. After having the fun as squeezing it in his hands for a moment, something one never looses from childhood, he picked up a fair portion and proceeded on his hunting venture. ‘So, the Dwarf is trying to sneak up on me and pile mud on me, this should be quite amusing.’ Conveniently for Legolas, elves slept with their eyes open and it was perfectly fine for him to be sitting there, staring off into the distance, but secretly observing the other’s approach. Mud caked in his hands, Gimli was making good process towards the unsuspecting Elf. The terrain here was solid rock, very nice for a Dwarf to walk and creep along on, for if there had been forest debris here, he could never have gone two steps before being discovered. This was the one area where he had a distinct advantage. ‘I shall tell my father, my friends and my future children how Gimli, son of Gloin brought down one of the fair folk.’ Final steps closed the gap between the pair, both holding their breaths, both waiting for the perfect moment. Tensing Gimli held the mud closely, prepared to launch at any moment. Swinging his arm back, he was tensed and prepared when suddenly…………





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List