Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elvenhome  by Soledad

Elvenhome

by Soledad

Disclaimer: The characters, the context and the main plot belong to Professor Tolkien, whom I greatly admire. I’m only trying to fill in the gaps he so graciously left for us, fanfic writers, to have some fun. Only a few insignificant side characters belong to me.

Rating: G, thorough the whole story.

Dedication: for Nemis.

Acknowledgement: my heartfelt gratitude goes to Cirdan for our discussions, for the beta work and for our shared love for “The Book of Lost Tales”.

Foreword

As Professor Tolkien would say, “this tale grew in the telling” until it became something entirely different than what I intended to write. Originally, it would have been another missing chapter to my ongoing serial titled “Innocence”, but as there are no spoilers whatsoever, people could have read it independently. Chronologically, it would come right after Chapter 23: The Fading of the Silver Queen.

Originally, this was written as a birthday gift for my dear friend Nemis, some six years ago, before I ran into a massive writer's block with it – therefore it has Celebrían as one of the main characters. The other one has been borrowed from “The Book of Lost Tales” (HoME 1-2) and is a genuine Tolkien character, albeit one that was later rejected. Most other characters (or, at least, their names) were also created by the Great Maker himself – I only gave their relations a mighty twist.

As you will see, I have tried to reintegrate parts of the old mythology as it is presented in “The Lost Tales” into the Third Age. I am well aware of the fact that Tolkien never meant these parts to be part of the later Silmarillion, or even the LOTR-times. But I have been very fond of the fairy tale-like style of “The Lost Tales” for some 25 years by now, an I felt the sudden need to do something with a few of its parts.

If “creative” use of canon offends you, this is the right time to hit the Back button. I won't be offended at all.

Further notices can be found – or ignored, whatever makes you happy – at the end of each chapter. And now, on we go!





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List