Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Yew  by Pearl Took

Chapter 10

Dear Paladin,

 

I will admit it was a surprise to receive a letter while here at Bag End; even more of a surprise when I read its contents.

 

Thank you for explaining where and how "Yew" was found by young Peregrin along with how you discovered what he is. It was a most intriguing tale. As you surmised, the dragon did hatch from the egg that fell from a Dwarf's wagon. What I have been able to find out is that the Dwarves had no idea it was a real dragon's egg. They brought into The Shire a dozen toy dragon's eggs (they are to be birthday gifts from Bilbo) and somehow the real egg was part of that dozen. Therefore, I count no blame against them in the matter.

 

I do think your daughter, Pearl, and young Peregrin's idea about my helping was a fine idea and I am willing to do so. Bring Yew with you (That sounds strange, doesn't it?) to The Party three days hence and I will take him off your hands.

 

Cordially,

Gandalf

********

Paladin made sure that he and his family arrived at the Green Dragon in Hobbiton late enough in the day that it was dark. It made it easier for Pippin to sneak the travel cage he had made for Yew up to their rooms. None of the servant lads noticed, it had been a long busy day and they were eager to be done with this lot. The Tooks breathed a sigh of relief as they finally shut the door to their suite's sitting room.

One challenge down, one more to go: getting the dragon to Bag End.

The next morning the family strolled toward The Hill, casually making their way around so they could approach Bag End from its back garden.

"You can stop right there!" a voice rang out.

Gaffer Gamgee stepped out from behind the lilac bushes. Bilbo had asked his gardener to keep an eye on the garden just incase people tried to sneak up to the house that way.

"Good morning to you, Gaffer!" Paladin cheerfully replied.

"Oh, 'tis you, Mister Paladin. You and the whole family."

"Yes. We've brought some of Mrs. Took's raspberry tarts. Cousins Bilbo and Frodo adore them, you know."

"Aye. Those are a right treat." The Gaffer smiled at the memory of Lanti's tarts, but his dour expression quickly returned. "I'm not s'posed to let anyone up to the hole."

Pippin noticed Bag End's windows were open onto the garden. "Cousin Bilbo! Frodo!" he called as loud as he could. "It's me, Pippin! My Ma brought raspberry tarts!"

The back door flew open and Frodo came running over to his cousins.

"It's alright, Gaffer. They can come in. Thank you for your diligence."

"Doing my job is all, young Mas . . . Mister Frodo." The Gaffer gave the newly come of age hobbit a wink.

"And doing it well," Eglantine said with a smile, handing the gardener a tart as she walked by him. It kept him from noticing that her rather large purse was occasionally wiggling.

 

Bilbo pounced on his cousins when they entered the kitchen.

"Where is it? Where is it? Bad enough we had to endure old Gandalf being gone the whole day after your letter arrived. I shan't wait all day to see it."

"Hush!" Paladin whispered, looking at the open window. "You know, Cousin Bilbo?"

"Of course I know, my boy. This is my home. I know everything that is happening inside these walls. Now, let's see the dragon."

Frodo rolled his eyes at his guardian's claim to know everything that went on inside Bag End, but his attention quickly switched to his Cousin Lanti as she lifted her purse to the table. She untied the drawstrings, opened the mouth of the bag wide and then lowered it.

A small red dragon's head poked out of the opening. As soon as the fabric was low enough he placed his front legs on the edge, pushing it down quicker, and strode out.

Frodo gasped.

Bilbo huffed. "It looks like a miniature Smaug."

Yew's eyes flashed. He raised his front end up, reared back and blew a sizeable blast of flame at the old Hobbit, who fortunately was still agile enough to leap back out of the way.

"Yew!" Pippin scolded.

"I am not a miniature anyone." Yew was his haughtiest. He looked Bilbo squarely in the eye. "I am Yew and I'm as big as I should be for my age."

Bilbo's look gave back as good as the young dragon gave.  He bowed respectfully without lowering his gaze.

"You are correct and I should not have given an offence to a guest in my home. Bilbo and Frodo Baggins of Bag End extend a welcome to their home to Yew of the Dragons."

Yew then remembered that Pippin told him that this cousin had once met a full grown dragon.  He should show courtesy to one who survived such a meeting and was also kin to the Tooks. He had puffed himself up to look more formidable and now sighed, without a flame, returning to his true size.

"I had, for the moment, forgotten that you have seen one of my kind full grown. I am sure I do look miniature by comparison. I am relieved that I did not singe you, Good Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins of Bag End." Yew turned his gaze upon the tall being in grey robes entering the crowded room. "Are you the Wizard who will find me an appropriate home of my own?"

Gandalf wasn't sure what he had expected but Yew wasn't it. He was smaller than he had pictured, considering the size Dori's gestures had shown the toy dragon's eggs to be. It was obvious that this was indeed a young Fire-drake, the wizard had seen Yew's response to Bilbo from the dining room.

"Yes, I am Gandalf the Grey and I will do my best to see you settled somewhere comfortable for a Fire-drake." As far as possible from any people his thoughts added.

"Where? Where will you take me?"

"I've not made that decision yet, Yew. I wished to meet you first. You seem a reasonable sort and I will happily help find you a new home. Shall we consult Bilbo's maps together?"

"That would please me greatly. If you are willing, may I ride upon your shoulder, Great Wizard?"

The "great wizard's" eyes twinkled with mirth. What was there not to love about a mannerly dragon? "You may indeed, and calling me Gandalf will suffice." He walked to the table, let the young dragon climb up his arm and then they left to peruse the maps in Bilbo's study.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List