Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Yew  by Pearl Took

“Our problem, most noble Yinglong,” began Yu, “is that something is wrong with the Yellow River. It is, at most times, our friend and benefactor. Because of its yearly flooding our soil is most fertile. But last year the storms of winter were angrier than is usual and the flood brought damage, not blessing. This particular winter, as I’m sure you know living as you do upon Wu Tai Shan mountain, the winter was angrier yet. The snow lies deep not only on the Taihand Mountains, but covering all the plain below. Surely when it melts everything will be swept away.”

Yu paused to draw a deep breath and release it in a weary sigh. He looked expectantly at Yinglong.

“Can you help us, noble Yinglong?”

“I will meditate upon this, friend Yu. Meet me here tomorrow when the sun is her highest and I will let you know what solution is shown to me. I give you this order; do not tell anyone of our meeting. The time will come, I am certain, for the people to know of me, but I deem it is not yet.”

They bowed to each other and Yu returned to his home upon the plain and Yinglong went into the cave and so up to the peak of Yedou to meditate beside the deep pool.

This was a problem indeed for the young dragon. His nature was fire – and fire and water are opposite natures. What did he know of the workings of water? He stared at the water in the pool. It, he knew, bubbled up from below. Yinglong’s eyes followed the edge of the large pool till his gaze fell upon the small channel where water trickled away down the mountain side. That was why the pool stayed always the same, never rising higher nor sinking lower. When the melting time came, the waters of the snow did not flood the pool, the trickle of water merely grew larger. The pool remained the same.

Yinglong smiled.

The solution was before him.

At midday, Yu arrived at the small plateau before the mouth of Yinglong’s cave to find the dragon curled in the sun and waiting for him.

“Hail, noble Yinglong!”

“Hail, friend Yu. I have your answer.”

Yu was amazed, but only for a moment. Of course the dragon would know what to do – he was sent by the gods to help, they would tell him what to do as he meditated.

“What have the gods told you?”

Yinglong smiled. It had not been the gods but his own two eyes that had brought the solution. Yet, he was able to reason and that, perhaps, was a gift from the One.

“Yes,” he said to Yu. “I have been shown the answer. We need to make channels in the earth; pathways for the water to follow so it cannot go wherever it will and wreak its havoc. They must be dug so that the waters of the Yellow River will rise only a little before they find the channels and are carried away. In this way, the water can be spread across the plain and allowed to pool only where the people wish it to so that the rice may grow.”

Yu eagerly nodded. “Yes! Yes I can see how that would work.” He bowed low. “Great is the wisdom of Yinglong.” He straightened. “How do we do this great deed? It will take a long time for the people to dig such trenches.”

“I will come and meet your family, relatives and neighbors so that I may do this great work. You will show me where you want the channels to run then I will mark them by dragging my tail across the snow and soil. When all the trenches are marked as you wish, I will use my mighty claws to dig them.”

“It will be done, noble Yinglong! I will go back to my home and will spread the word that all are to meet in the village square tomorrow after the sun is fully risen above the peaks of Wu Tai Shan mountain, and that all will meet the one who will save us from Yellow River’s wrath.”

“No. Say instead that you will meet at the eastern edge of the village, facing the mountain. There is not room enough for me in your village and I would not do damage to any of your buildings.”

“So it will be.”

They bowed and parted company until the appointed time.

 

“Who is this you are bringing us out in the cold to meet, Yu?” asked one of Yu’s cousins. All the people of the village, and many from outlying farms, were gathered beyond the last of the buildings on the eastern side of town, bundled up against the cold.

“You shall all see him soon. And do not fear him as he is most kind and wise.”

“You say he is a dragon and as big as a house?” asked Yu’s wife. “What do you mean, he is a dragon?”

“I explained as best I could, wife. You will have to be content. Everyone will see him soon enough.”

As the words left Yu’s mouth, one of the children pointed to the sky over the mountain and cried out, “Look!  Is that Yinglong, ge Yu?”

All eyes followed the child’s pointing finger. Something was flying around the highest peak of Wu Tai Shan mountain. As they watched, it flew straight toward them, growing larger and larger as it came until with the gentlest of thumps Yinglong landed before them. Small children hid behind their parents. Older boys jostled for a better look as the mighty beast bowed its head to the crowd.

“People of the plains of the Yellow River, I greet you. I, Yinglong am at your service and that of your families.”

As one the people returned the dragon’s bow.

The dragon raised his head and spoke. “Yu came upon my mountain to seek the gods and get help for you all against the anger you feel is coming from the River. I heard him and I am able to help you.”

He explained the plan for the channels to guide the flood waters and then gave them further instructions.

“Go out to your lands. Mark the ends of the channels with red flags. I will come and mark them off with my tail, this way we will be sure they are placed as you need before I dig them out. When all is set, I will dig out all the channels with my claws. You should then follow along and make sure the sides are packed firm so they will hold when the floods rise and the water flows in the trenches.”

 

So it was done. The people placed the flags, Yew marked then carved out all the channels and the people shored up any weak places in the sides of the trenches. When the snows of the angry winter began to melt, and the anger of the winter flowed into the anger of the Yellow River, the waters rose with fury. Beginning in the headwaters it roared down towards the plain, its energy shaking the earth. But the monster’s teeth were pulled from its jaws. The rising water found the bottom edges of the channels and, as water will, rushed to fill this low ground. With each new branch off the river’s course much of its anger was siphoned off, until the Yellow River’s anger was tamed and the plains received the blessing of the river instead.

The people rejoiced, and made images of Yinglong to hang in their homes. They made murals and statues to gladden their villages. And, most important to the dragon, they gave him gifts of gold, gems, silver, fine woods and food. Soon Yinglong had the greatest hoard of any dragon in any realm of the world. And he continued to bless the people.

 

Hč Wushů Xian smiled at his audience. “And so we continue to this day to honor the great winged dragon, Yinglong.”

The children clapped and cheered.

“Dŕ Hč Wushů Xian?” one of the older boys spoke up. “What of our Glorious Ancestor Huangdi? Did not Yinglong serve him?”

“Ah, yes! A well asked question. The Yellow Emperor was able to win his greatest battle because the mighty Winged Dragon, Yinglong, came to his aid.

Chiyou came from the east seeking to make the plains of the Yellow River his own. Gongsun Xuanyuan, whose family dwelt upon the Xuanyuan Hill. His family was rich and he was most respected and the people called him Huangdi, Yellow Emperor, because of his deep love of the yellow land of the fertile plains.

When Chiyou began attacking farms and villages, word of it came to Huangdi. The people told him that the warlord had giants and evil spirits with him. Huangdi gathered up his warriors and the strongest of the farmers and set out to war with Chiyou.

Chiyou, using magical powers, conjured up a fog. With his forged swords and the fog, his army slew many of the Huaxia forces. Huangdi brought forth his compass chariot and was able to find the way out of the fog. Chiyou followed. He lost the protection the fog had given him and the fortunes of battle turned to favor the noble Huangdi. Chiyou was captured, but he used his magic to slay any who tried to kill him.

Yinglong appeared in the sky above the camp.

“I have no need to fear this villain’s magic!” he cried out from on high. “I know its source and it has no power over me.” Diving down, he clutched Chiyou in his fearsome claws. He landed before Huangdi and rent his enemy in two before him. “I offer you the blood of  your enemy as proof of my service to you and your people from this time forth and forever.”

From that time forth dragons became associated with our emperors and only the Imperial dragons are drawn with five claws like those of Yinglong who brought final victory to the Yellow Emperor.”

Again, Hč Wushů Xian’s audience was most appreciative. The old man stood and bowed.

“Da Hč Wushů Xian?” a small girl spoke.

He held up his hand. “Only one more question will I answer this day. You all have chores to do,” he said with a wink.

The children groaned as the girl asked her question.

“Why do we never see Yinglong, or any of the other noble dragons?”

“It is one of the many gifts that were later given to all of our noble dragons by the grateful gods, to reward them for their service. All dragons can make themselves invisible, and most of them can also change their shape and appearance. The dragons of Huaxia still watch over us, that is why we still honor them at our festivals.”

Hč Wushů Xian smiled at the children. He loved them so.

“Now, my young friends, you must go to your homes and your families. Do your chores and your studies as you are told. Honor your parents and keep in your hearts the ways of the dragon, Yinglong.”

“Yes!”

“We will!”

“Thank you, da Hč Wushů Xian!”

The children bowed and scattered to their homes. The old one walked with a speed and grace that belied his years toward Wu Tai Shan mountain.

He had an old friend to visit.

 

THE END OF THE STORY OF YEW

 

*     *     *

A/N:

The myths of Huangdi and the Battle of Zhuolu Plain against Chiyou are an important part of Chinese culture, and yes – Yinglong’s role in that battle is part of the mythology. As far as I could find, the legends say that Yinglong was the only one who could slay Chiyou; how he did it is my addition. The Yellow Emperor is still regarded as the father of the Chinese people and of their ancient culture.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List