Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys: Part 6 Journeys Out of Grief  by elliska

Chapter Three: Guilt

Legolas sat in his place at the dining room table and made a conscious effort not to pick at the embroidery on the hem of his tunic. Except for an occasional word or phrase from his aunts and uncles, all was quiet at the table as the family waited for Thranduil and Lindomiel to come to breakfast. Normally the children would be chattering about what they had done the day before and what they planned to do that day, but when uncle Celonhael had asked Berior what he had done the day before, Berior's response consisted of an excited grin, followed by a panicked gasp and a quick look at Legolas. Eirienil had been kind enough to volunteer into the silence that she and Galithil, specifically she and Galithil, had gone swimming. Uncle Celonhael's raised eyebrow had required some sort of explanation, and so Legolas found himself saying that they had quarreled a bit over what they all wanted to do yesterday and so had gone off to separate activities. Mercifully, Uncle Celonhael had not pressed him further. Now Legolas was sitting quietly at the table, trying not to look at his aunts and uncles, for fear of calling attention, and therefore more questions, to himself. He was also trying not to look pointedly at other things, like the ceiling or the murals on the dining room walls, for fear of making it obvious that he was trying not to look at them. And he was trying not to fidget, because he was certain that if he did, it would be very obvious to everyone present exactly how guilty he felt for the half truth he had just told.

Galithil sat next to Legolas, as he did every morning. Unlike most mornings, this morning Galithil sat silently, with his head bowed and studying his hands in his lap. When Galithil continued in this posture after Uncle Celonhael asked them about their activities the previous day, Legolas had felt a bit annoyed with his cousin. Galithil could have at least chimed in and said 'we went swimming' rather then letting that long pause drag on until Eirienil filled it with too much detail. He could at least have deigned to join Eirienil to describe their swim. That would have satisfied Uncle Celonhael and prevented the uncomfortable silence they were all enduring now.

With a long, quiet sigh, Legolas realized he was wishing Galithil would do something--cover their misdeeds with half truths--that Legolas told Galithil not a week ago he would no longer do. That was hardly fair.

But every time Uncle Celonhael or Uncle Golwon glanced down the table at him, Legolas was certain they suspected something.

How did Galithil do this so often? How had Galithil sat so calmly at the dining table so many times in the past, knowing they had done something they would get in trouble for, and not been caught simply by looking guilty? Legolas was certain he must look guilty. He felt guilty. More even for the half truth he had just told his favorite uncle than for going with Anastor and Noruil to spy on the training grounds.

Legolas started a bit when his aunts, uncles and cousins' chairs scraped on the stone floor as they stood. Legolas looked at the door to the dining room and then quickly down at his empty plate and he hurried to follow their example. Fortunately, his mother and father were too distracted as they entered the dining room to notice his odd behavior.

"Where are Adar, Naneth, Engwe and Dieneryn?" Lindomiel asked. Her gaze surveyed the breakfast foods the servants were beginning to uncover on the sideboard as well as the empty seats at the table. She appeared pleased with the selection of foods available, at least.

"Dieneryn did not care to come to breakfast this morning, so your parents and Engwe are dining with her in her room in order to persuade her to eat something," Aunt Ollwen responded quietly.

Lindomiel's brow creased and she hesitated before she took her seat, as if considering going to speak to her mother-in-law rather than settling at the table.

"And where are Dolgailon and Arthiel?" Thranduil asked, seating himself and gesturing for everyone else to do the same.

"Arthiel has gone with Master Ruscil to see about healing the trees that the large spider colony was nesting in," Lindomiel answered when no one else appeared to know the answer. She took a tray of sausages from a servant and put one on her own plate and two on Thranduil's before passing the plate to Legolas. Legolas silently took a sausage and passed the plate to Galithil.

"And Dolgailon went with her?" Thranduil asked. His tone was sharp.

"Not that I know of," Lindomiel replied.

"Dolgailon is in...his office," Galithil said, stumbling between saying 'Adar's office' and 'his office.' He passed the plate of sausages to Aunt Isteth without taking one. "He is reading reports and said he would get some bread and cheese from the kitchen for breakfast."

"Well just because he is starving does not mean you must," Aunt Isteth whispered to him. She placed a sausage on Galithil's plate and gave him a stern look when he tried to refuse it.

Watching this interchange with approval, Legolas did not see his father's expression, but he gathered it was cross from the fact that Berior was staring at him with wide eyes.

"I will speak to Dolgailon after breakfast," Thranduil rumbled. "He needs to at least take his meals with the family. We all benefit from each other's company at this time."

"Indeed," Lindomiel murmured. She had signaled for a servant to hand her a spare plate and she filled it with cinnamon apples from the plate that was currently being passed around the table. "Take these to Dieneryn's room and ask my adar to see to it that she eats them. And bring her some of the bread I made last night as well," Lindomiel said to the servant. She nodded, bobbed a quick curtsy and hurried out of the dining room with the plate. Lindomiel turned to Legolas as she handed him the plate of apples. "How did your daernaneth seem yesterday when you and she planted the dill seeds?" she asked.

Legolas let the plate come to rest on the table between them, wincing as he remembered his promise to plant the seeds with his daernaneth. "I forgot to ask her again," he admitted, looking sidelong at his mother.

Lindomiel frowned.

"We are supposed to plant seeds with daernana?" Galithil asked, reaching for the apples. "You did not mention that."

Legolas sighed and turned to face his cousin. "I said that I forgot about it," he replied quietly with clipped tones. "I am sorry, nana. I will plant them with her today."

"We all will," Galithil added and Legolas saw Eirienil nodding with an earnest expression.

"I expect you to keep that promise," Thranduil said sternly. "But I will bear some of the blame for their forgetfulness, Lindomiel" he added. "He and Galithil were fairly excited when I told them about their new duty yesterday after their lessons. They were anxious to go outside and tell their cousins and friends, no doubt."

"New duty?" Lindomiel echoed.

Legolas tried not to look surprised. In his experience, his father thoroughly discussed all 'consequences' that he earned with at least his mother, aunt Amoneth and uncle Aradunnon, if not the entire family. This was the first time he had not, as far as Legolas knew.

Thranduil described the duty he had given to Legolas and Galithil.

"That will have them working late at night when they should be on the Green," Lindomiel observed, citing the same objection Berior had the day before.

Thranduil did not reply and Legolas guessed he did not care to appear to argue about his decision publicly.

Galithil saved him the trouble. "We do not mind. We want to do it. And it is only until we learn how to make the summaries and do the research ourselves. Then we can do it any time." He looked to Legolas for support and Legolas gave it eagerly.

"We do want to do it, nana," he agreed, nodding his head with a sincere expression.

"Very well," Lindomiel conceded. "And did you also tell them about your plans for the guards?" she asked.

"Guards?" both Legolas and Galithil repeated with very much the same surprised tone and expectant look to Thranduil that Lindomiel had used a moment before.

Thranduil scowled. "No, I did not. I wanted to speak to the guards I had in mind so I could have all the details in place and therefore be able to tell the children everything at once. But as it is..." he trailed off, allowing irritation to creep into his tone. Then he turned to Legolas and Galithil. "I mentioned I was working on a plan to keep you safe. The method my adar used when I was only slightly older than you was to assign a guard to watch over me. Of course, at the time we were being pursued by those who would have killed us to take the Silmaril from lady Elwing, but our situation now is only slightly less dangerous, depending on where you find yourselves and where the Enemy finds itself. And you will eventually both need guards. So assigning them a little sooner rather than later will not hurt."

Legolas stared at his father for a long moment before turning to Galithil, expecting to see shock and outrage in his cousin's expression as well. He nearly groaned out loud when he saw Galithil was only returning Thranduil's gaze stoically. Galithil's new-found obedience was growing annoying. Legolas then looked quickly from Eirienil, who was trying not to openly laugh (no help there), to Berior. His younger cousin had the appropriately horrified expression on his face.

Legolas carefully schooled his features to a neutral facade and turned back to his father. "Adar, Galithil and I are accustomed to guards," he said with a reasonable tone. "Berior and Eirienil are also. But Brethil and Aewen will be very uncomfortable if an adult is with us constantly. And Anastor, Noruil and Maidhien." He made a face. "I do not even want to think how they will react. So, the guards you assign are not going to follow us everywhere, all the time, like the they follow you, are they? Dolgailon's guard does not follow him always. Only when he leaves the capital."

"Provided you are safe, Legolas, I do not mind at all if Anastor is less willing to spend time with you," Thranduil answered. "I will expect your guards to have you in sight whenever you are outside the stronghold."  His tone indicated there would be no room for argument.

Legolas looked at his mother to judge the possibility of an appeal through that avenue. Lindomiel was looking at him with understanding and perhaps even a little pity, which made Legolas frown. But she clearly was not going to save them. Legolas squared his shoulders and turned back to his father, determined to make the best of this situation that he could. "Who will you assign?" he asked. "Not Belloth," he hurried to add. "He is cross."

"Not Belloth," Thranduil conceded readily. "Who I will assign is something we will discuss this afternoon after your lessons, along with some other details," he said, turning his attention to his meal by cutting a bite of sausage.

But Legolas was not ready to abandon his negotiation just yet. "Adar, if we are to have guards with us whenever we are outside the stronghold, can we go out on the Green at night even when you and our uncles cannot come? And ride a little further down the Path? And camp by the river with Brethil without you or Crithad?" Legolas was aware that Galithil and Eirienil were now staring at him while Berior was giggling. He shot Berior a squelching glare and looked back at his father steadily.

Thranduil chewed the bite of sausage slowly while appraising him. Legolas did not flinch. As he swallowed, Thranduil glanced at Celonhael and Golwon. Celonhael nodded readily. Golwon's jaw clenched, but he did finally shrug. Thranduil turned to Lindomiel.

"It seems fair," she replied, with a smile and wink at Legolas and Galithil.

Legolas tried not to show even a hint of victory yet as Thranduil studied him one moment more.

"You still need permission to take a horse down the Path or to camp," he finally answered. "And you must tell me or your naneth or one of your aunts or uncles if you go to the Green at night, but otherwise, yes, to all three questions and to the implied one--you may do with your guard whatever you are allowed to do with us. But understand this, and understand it very clearly: when it comes to your safety, your guard speaks with my authority. If he says something is too dangerous, you will not argue. You will immediately obey him. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Adar," Legolas answered, smiling.

"Yes, Uncle," Galithil echoed.

Legolas expected to see Galithil mirroring his triumphant expression--that was a considerable concession to win from his father--but instead his cousin was focused on his breakfast.

*~*~*

Thranduil stalked down the long corridor to the Troop Commander's office, mentally preparing stern words for Dolgailon. Conuion's sword slapped against his leg as he hurried to follow him. The noise seemed to punctuate Thranduil's mental arguments. He simply did not have time, amongst his other duties, to remind Dolgailon of the importance of his presence at family meals. Dolgailon should already be aware of how his very young brother needed him at the moment.

The door to the Troop Commander's office was open and Thranduil swept into it, immediately scanning the room, which was normally piled with stacks of papers and maps and armaments that Aradunnon mostly used to distract himself when he should have been working. It was often difficult to find the room's occupant amongst the clutter. So when Thranduil was fully into the room, he came to a complete stop and blinked. Then he took a step back into the hall and looked down it again, quickly counting the doors on either side of him to make sure he had turned into the correct office.

"Did you need to speak to me, my lord?" Dolgailon said, calling his attention back to the office.

Dolgailon's presence surely indicated that Thranduil was in the correct place. That being true, Thranduil could not believe his eyes. The office was...pristine. Most of the papers had been removed. The remaining ones, mostly maps, were now neatly stacked in labeled shelving that stood to one side of the...Thranduil raised his eyebrows. That was a very nice desk. Beautifully carved. Had that always been the desk that was in this office? On the desk were more neat stacks of paper, arranged in rows of military precision--they looked like ranks of troops marching into battle. About half of them were folded into signatures.

"What is this?" Thranduil asked in a quiet voice, his harsh words forgotten for the moment. He was looking at the stacks of papers that had somehow earned the honor of remaining in the office.

"The last year's worth of reports and orders," Dolgailon replied. "Northern, Eastern, Western and Southern patrol reports," he continued, indicating one stack for each patrol. "Orders back to them, in the same order. These are the reports and orders from the guards: Capital Guard and Path Guard. And finally, the reports from the training program."

Thranduil nodded, studying them briefly. Then his gaze turned to the wall opposite the shelving. Dolgailon had selected one large map of the entire forest and several more detailed maps of the various patrol regions to hang on that wall. Thranduil could see notes, troop positions and enemy positions, written on them in charcoal pencil. These notes were current, as far as Thranduil could tell.

"I have read these reports," Dolgailon said. "And the orders Adar sent..."

Thranduil's gaze darted back to the stacks of paper. They were tall and there were many of them. "You have read all these reports?" he interrupted, looking sharply at his nephew.

Dolgailon frowned slightly. "Yes," he replied cautiously. "And I would like...."

"You have read, in one day, all the reports and orders on this desk as well as clearing this office?" Thranduil interrupted again.

This time Dolgailon drew himself up to his full height. "Yes, my lord, I have. I have detailed notes and thoughts that I would like to share with you, as well as several questions."

Thranduil dropped into one of the chairs in front of the lovely, carved desk. He could never have remained focused for long enough to review that much material in such a short amount of time. The very idea of trying left him exhausted. Then a thought occurred to him. He might have found the determination to conquer such a task immediately after he had returned to Greenwood following the war in Mordor--when he felt overwhelmed with the new position he had been thrust into, quite unwillingly, and was determined to bring it under control. Thranduil looked up at Dolgailon, who was still standing, and tried to prevent the sadness and pity he felt from reaching his eyes. He doubted that he succeeded.

"Sit down, Dolgailon. Tell me what questions you have for me. Though I must warn you: if you have read all those reports, you certainly know more than I about the state of the defense of this realm. I will be depending on you to summarize this information for me. So I am not certain what questions I can answer."

"My questions are more procedural, my lord." Dolgailon replied. The stiff tone was gone from his voice as he sat. In its place was one that made it clear Dolgailon still felt somewhat overwhelmed. It reminded Thranduil of a student asking for clarification on an assignment from his tutor. "For example, when I have decided how I would prefer to readjust the troop levels in the various patrols now that we have largely contained the increased threat in the south, how do you prefer to be informed of my suggestions? In person? In writing?"

Thranduil looked at his hands on the arms of the chair where he was seated and tried not to laugh. He could help but smile. Even when Aradunnon had first been appointed Troop Commander, he did not make 'suggestions.' He had always treated the command of the warriors as his personal realm and Thranduil trusted him enough to leave him to it. Just as he intended to trust Dolgailon. "You simply inform me of your decisions, Dolgailon," he replied. "Your adar despised writing reports, so he spoke to me about his plans and had his assistant write up the report that we filed in the court record. You may communicate with me however you wish, provided I am kept abreast of important developments."

"You do not want to at least approve the orders I send?" Dolgailon asked.

Thranduil shook his head. "There is no need. I expect you to discuss major developments with me before you act upon them. For, example, your adar informed me immediately when he learned about the increased presence of the enemy on the southwest boards and he conferred with me on his plans for managing the most recent battles in the south. But other than that, there is no need to do anything more than inform me of what you are doing."

"As you wish, my lord," Dolgailon replied quietly. "And when I appoint officers? The same? I inform you of my choices?"

Thranduil nodded. "Please keep me informed of any changes in the command structure."

"Very well, Then I should tell you who I intend to name as captain of the training program, in my stead," Dolgailon said. He did not meet Thranduil's gaze, but rather shifted some of the papers on the desk. "I do not believe Pathon or Hebor have the command experience to coordinate the training program. Tirithion is too short tempered and Langon," Dolgailon smiled. "Well, I am afraid of Langon myself. I would not make him the captain of the training program and force the poor First Years to report to him. So, I believe the best choice is Glílavan." Dolgailon looked directly at Thranduil, and pressed his lips together for a moment before continuing. "So I am naming him as captain of the training program."

Thranduil drew a long breath and released it slowly, giving himself time to make sure he would respond to this announcement as he should. He very much did not want to contradict Dolgailon's very first decision, even if he very much disagreed with it. Long experience had taught him which battles to fight with the people he depended on to help him rule the realm and which battles were simply not worth fighting. Appointing Glílavan as captain of the training program would keep him in the capital and under various people's watchful eyes. Therefore, this was not a battle worth fighting.

"I encourage you to use this appointment as a further opportunity to judge Glílavan's character, Dolgailon," he replied after a moment.

Dolgailon raised his chin. "And I encourage you to do the same, my lord," he responded firmly.

Thranduil smiled at that. "There, that is better. I appointed you to this position because I expect you to be able to hold your own in an argument with me as you have proven you can do on many occasions."

Dolgailon relaxed, leaning back in his chair and grinning, still a little timidly. "Well here is a topic that will spark our first argument then, if my spies have supplied me with accurate information," he replied with a teasing tone.

Thranduil's eyebrows rose in response to the suggestion that Dolgailon had spies.

"Before I can decide if the new threat in the south is truly contained and, if so, how I should best to reorder the patrols, I would like to visit at least the camps of the southern and western patrols and speak with their captains in person. I can get the answers that I need in that manner in one conversation rather than through a series of letters that take weeks to carry back and forth," he hurried to explain when Thranduil's jovial expression soured.

"My original purpose for coming to this office was to inform you that I expected you at family meals. And you want to travel between the patrols? Your brother needs you close for the time being, Dolgailon."

"Who do you think my spy is, uncle?" Dolgailon responded. "Galithil rushed here before he went to his copying duties specifically to warn me that I was 'in trouble' for missing breakfast this morning and dinner last night. But he knows of my plans to visit the patrols. I discussed it with him yesterday when he and Eirienil were helping me organize this office and draw those maps," he said, gesturing to the maps hanging on the wall. "Of course I wanted to be sure that he would be able to manage if I were gone for a few weeks, so I spoke to him about it. He assured me that he could."

Thranduil frowned. "Galithil is very anxious to please at the moment, Dolgailon," Thranduil countered with a gentle tone. "And I think he is especially eager to please you. But he is still a child and this is the first loss he has known. He has no real idea how to manage it or himself at the moment. He needs family to guide him and support him."

"Galithil, and Legolas also, understand duty and sacrifice a great deal better than you give them credit for, uncle." He held up his hands when Thranduil's expression grew openly irate. "I learned long ago not to get between you or Adar and your management of Galithil and Legolas, but Galithil will not become a tool you use to prevent me from doing my duty as I see fit. I told you when you made this appointment that I would have some learning to do. The best way for me to accomplish that is by visiting the patrols. Anything less would endanger the defense of the realm by delaying important troop deployment decisions. So," he paused and took a breath. "I am informing you of my decision that, tomorrow morning, I will leave for the camp of the southern patrol. I will keep my absence from the capital as brief as possible."

Thranduil glared at Dolgailon for a long moment, regretting that he had so glibly told him moments before that he should expect to 'inform' him of his decisions. But unfortunately, his argument that he could get information faster in person than through letters made sense. Thranduil smiled again. A sour smile. "Very well, Dolgailon. You have my leave to go. But before you depart, you will do as I would have expected your adar to do: you may explain to Lindomiel why you will not be present at family meals to lend your support to the family in this difficult time."

Dolgailon looked slightly panicked at that. "But, she will certainly understand the importance...just as you do... Surely there is nothing to explain, really."

"She will understand, of course she will. But explaining it will still be unpleasant and I see no reason why I should face that battle when it is yours to fight," Thranduil replied, still smiling.

Dolgailon crossed his arms. "Very well. I will tell her."

"Good," Thranduil said, standing.

Dolgailon stood as well, still scowling at his uncle.

Thranduil laughed at his nephew's expression. He looked so much like his father, standing there glaring at him. But Aradunnon would have stubbornly remained seated to make his irritation clearer still. Thranduil' smile faded. He missed his brother's arrogance very much. He nodded to Dolgailon and made to leave the room before Dolgailon could ask what had caused his sudden change in mood.

But Conuion stepped into the room from where he had been standing in the door frame at the same moment. "I need to inform you of a new member of the King's Guard, Dolgailon. And I might as well take advantage of the opportunity to do it now: Tulus will be rejoining the Guard," he said.

Thranduil glanced over his shoulder, curious to see how Dolgailon would react to news that would have sent his father into fits of rage. Dolgailon wore a surprised, but clearly delighted expression. Thranduil nodded to himself. Dolgailon and Tulus were old friends, just as Dolgailon and Tulus's son, Glílavan, were old friends. Sometimes, change was good.

*~*~*

"Tulus!" Legolas exclaimed. His voice echoed in the empty Great Hall. He looked with near panic between Tulus, seated across the table from him, and his father, who was seated to his left. Galithil was doing the same, with a very regretful expression. Legolas shook his head and focused on his father. "Adar, Tulus and I are friends. We have been friends for as long as I can remember. I do not ever want to see..." he hesitated. "I cannot watch him make the sort of sacrifice that he made in Selwon's village adar. Not again."

"Which of my guards would you prefer to see make that sort of sacrifice for you, Legolas?" Thranduil countered quietly.

Legolas's brows drew together so sharply it hurt. "None of them."

"Then you understand that it matters not at all if I am your guard or someone else is, Legolas," Tulus responded. "Since someone must be, it might as well be me. It must be a difficult burden to know that others will sacrifice themselves for you. But I chose to do it. All your adar's guards chose to serve as they do because they believe that this realm is a far safer and better place with your family in it."

Thranduil nodded. "Do you imagine that I like to see Conuiön, who has been my guard and my friend since the First Age, stand between me and the enemy so that I may better order a battle? I certainly do not. But every time we go into battle, Conuiön and I know that is exactly what will happen," he added. "It is my duty to make sure that I respect Conuiön's sacrifice by not taking reckless risks with my life."

"And it is my duty," Conuiön interjected, "to make sure the King can survive taking any risks he judges are necessary to best defend this realm."

Legolas looked at Conuiön, who was seated next to Tulus at the table. The captain of the King's Guard returned his gaze steadily. Legolas looked down. "You actually want to do this Tulus?"

"I cannot think of any greater honor the King might entrust me with," Tulus replied.

Legolas released a long breath without looking up. "Very well. I will certainly not do anything that will recklessly put Tulus in danger," he said quietly.

Thranduil nodded and Legolas expected him to dismiss them. Instead, Thranduil turned to Tulus with a grim expression.

"There is a bit more that you both need to know, before I can accept this appointment," Tulus said with a very grave tone. So grave that it made Legolas's heart pound a bit harder. "Indeed, I insisted that you be told this, because not knowing it puts you in danger if I am to be your guard."

Legolas's eyes widened and he sat a little straighter.

"I agreed," Thranduil added. "This will be difficult for you to hear, given how close you have always been with Tulus. But if you do not know, that lack of knowledge could be exploited later. And I think you are old enough now to hear this."

Legolas and Galithil exchanged a nervous glance before looking at Tulus expectantly. The fact that Tulus opened his mouth several times without finding the words to speak did nothing to calm them.

"I am very ashamed of what I must tell you both," he finally began in almost a whisper. Then he drew a long breath. "The King tells me that you are aware of the crimes that Dannenion and Dolwon committed."

Legolas nodded, unable to imagine where this could possibly be going. Next to him, Galithil did the same.

"I was one of their co-conspirators. I was convicted of treason along side them," he said.

Legolas stared at Tulus, so stunned that he was not capable of any reaction at all. After staring for several moments, Legolas suddenly realized that he was so shocked that he was not even breathing. He drew a sharp gasp of air. "I do not believe that," he finally managed, speaking as he blew out that same breath. "Why would you do that? And if you did such a thing, why would you have been such a friend to my cousins and I afterward?" Legolas laughed incredulously. "Why would you do that and then step in front of an arrow that would have killed me?"

Tulus pressed his lips together while trying to formulate an answer. It was completely obvious how greatly it pained him to discuss this. And even focused on Tulus, Legolas could tell from the corner of his eye that his father was very tense as well.

"People do stupid things at times," Tulus began. "thinking, often for stupid reasons, that they are justified." Legolas saw Galithil wince and look away. "I was a member of lord Oropher's guard. And I served your lord father's guard." Legolas's mouth fell open. "But I...insulted your lady mother, so the King rightfully dismissed me. I was angry about it. And stupid. I did not want to admit to myself that I deserved what had happened."

"The fact that Aradunnon dismissed Tulus from the ranks of the warriors entirely made the punishment all the more bitter to swallow," Thranduil interjected. "I would have approved of that decision, at least in part, since I dismissed Tulus for insubordination due to the way he reacted when I confronted him about what he had said about your naneth..."

"What did he say about nana?" Legolas asked. He had been with his mother hundreds of times when they retrieved horses from the stable. Tulus had never been anything but completely proper and polite towards his mother.

Now Thranduil sighed and looked at the ceiling for a moment. "Your naneth and I were not married at the time. We were courting. She and I went for a swim in a secluded spot. Some people might indeed have believed, perhaps correctly, that we did not behave in an entirely decorous manner. But she was young and saw nothing untoward in what we were doing."

"But l gossiped about it," Tulus interrupted. "I was the guard assigned to the King that day." Then he grimaced. "I assure you that I have learned better than to repeat such an action while guarding you."

Legolas waved his hand dismissively. "I am not currently courting anyone to worry about it," he said. "What does all this have to do with what Dannenion and Dolwon did?"

"I would have approved of Tulus being temporarily dismissed from the warriors," Thranduil answered, returning to his explanation. "But I would not have approved of a permanent dismissal, had I known about it. Unfortunately, I never followed up on what had happened to Tulus. I was still learning how to manage my duties as King. And Aradunnon was still learning how to manage his as Troop Commander. And Tulus went forgotten by us."

"Not entirely forgotten," Tulus said quietly. "I asked several times to join a patrol and lord Aradunnon would not hear of it."

"True enough," Thranduil agreed.

Tulus shook is head. "The point is, I was quite bitter. I moved away from the capital and joined a village's guard and tried to make a new life for myself as I could. Then the Shadow came over the forest, and whenever such things happen, there will always be those people who blame the King for allowing it to happen. I fell in with them because I was still very resentful. When they gathered and spoke publicly about how the King was to blame for the forest dying and the orcs and spiders killing us, I was one of them." Tulus paused and appeared to brace himself. "And when they stopped talking and began plotting ways to remove the King, I did nothing to stop them."

"Adar told us recently that Dolwon and Dannenion plotted to abduct my naneth and Galithil's naneth and Dolgailon. Is that what you plotted with them to do? Because nana had caused you to be dismissed from the King's Guard?" Legolas asked. If that were true, he was not certain he could forgive it, even if Tulus had repented.

"No," Tulus protested immediately. "It had nothing to do with your lady mother...well, it did, of course, because she was the target, but not because I suggested it...though Manadhien surely liked to remind me that the Queen was the cause of all my troubles...but I never truly believed that. By the time things had gone this far, I knew what we were doing was wrong. I did not participate in the plot to remove the King. I just did not know how to stop it."  

"How to stop it?" Legolas repeated angrily. Then he cut himself off and tried to curb his scoffing tone. "You stop it by ceasing to participate and by confessing what you have done and what is being plotted."

"And that is essentially what Tulus did, Legolas" Thranduil intervened. "After some prompting by Aradunnon, he confessed his part in all that had happened and he named the other people involved, allowing us to put a stop to it, once and for all. And I think it is important to emphasize, before I give you the remaining details of this tale, that Tulus did not actually participate in plotting any attempts against your naneth. He did not prevent them by telling someone they were being plotted, but he did not participate in them."

"There is honestly little difference," Legolas said softly.

Thranduil frowned.

"You are correct there is not," Tulus replied. He was looking at his hands, which were clasped in front of him on the table. Clasped so tightly that they were white.

Legolas tried to remove the tension from his own posture. "You mentioned someone named Manadhien. Who is she? And what are the remaining details adar mentioned?"

"Manadhien--I knew her as Marti-- is the person who was the leader of the conspirators," Thranduil began.

"You mean Dannenion was not their leader?" Legolas interrupted. "I would have thought he was the leader."

Tulus loosed a bitter laugh at that. "That is an easy assumption given how he acts now. And he was a leader, along with another elf named Fuilin. But they were not the leader. Manadhien was. She was the person who was constantly stirring trouble. She would remind people of anything, or worse, anyone that they had lost due to the King's actions or supposed inactions. And she was the one that had contacts with the Dark Men..."

"Dark Men?" Legolas repeated. He suddenly felt very cold. Next to him, Galithil had also stiffened in his chair. Surely Tulus could not be referring to the same Dark Men Legolas was suddenly reminded of. He looked at his father. "No!" he exclaimed when Thranduil nodded.

"The attack that you witnessed against your naneth and aunt Amoneth was the attack Manadhien planned to abduct them," Thranduil confirmed.

"Himion and Candirith died in that attack!" Legolas exclaimed.

"Himion was killed. Candirith was executed by the Men," Galithil corrected, his voice shaking. "We could see it from where we were hidden."

"Dannenion and Dolwon are responsible for that?" Legolas asked. Then he slowly turned to look at Tulus. "And Tulus is too!"

"Tulus swore, and other witness confirmed, that he was not party to the planning of that, or any other, attempt," Thranduil reminded them firmly.

"But if he had told someone about what was being plotted, Himion and Candirith might still be alive," Legolas retorted.

"Indeed so," Tulus agreed.

Legolas looked at him and some of the anger he was feeling left him when he saw Tulus's expression.

"Candirith was my nephew," Tulus said softly. "The only remaining family I had in Middle Earth."

Legolas found he could not respond to that. Next to him, he saw Galithil close his eyes and bite back a sob. Thranduil heard him. He stood and took a step towards his nephew. But Galithil looked up and shook his head once, a stoic mask firmly in place.

"That is a horrible tale, twisted by misplaced hate and blame. I will not be party to it," Galithil said.

Legolas looked at his cousin sharply, thinking that he meant he would not associate further with Tulus. Legolas frowned. They had been friends with Tulus their entire lives. Even after hearing all he had said, Legolas was not certain it was enough to make him unwilling to speak to Tulus. After Tulus had saved his life. that seemed a poor way to repay him. And besides, Adar had apparently forgiven him entirely, if he had allowed him back in the guard. And Tulus did say he did not participate in the plotting.

While Legolas's mind was weighing these thoughts, Galithil leaned across the table and placed his hand over Tulus's hands. "It seems to me that you have already paid sufficiently for anything you might have done, Tulus. And it seems the King believes that too, if you are to rejoin his guard. That is good enough for me. So, for my part, I am willing to forget everything I heard here today. You have never been anything but my friend and I would like it to stay that way."

From the corner of his eye, Legolas saw his father, still standing behind them, squeeze Galithil's shoulder. Tulus did not look up or respond to Galithil's statement. He appeared unable to do so. He only nodded, gaze fixed on the table before him. Legolas drew a deep breath. "Tulus I hated hearing all this," said softly, not hiding the grief that he felt. "But I agree with Galithil."

As soon as Legolas uttered that, Tulus loosed a shuddering breath and his shoulders slumped.

Legolas was shocked to see how much just those words had meant to Tulus. Repeating Galithil's earlier gesture, he reached across the table, grasped Tulus's hands and gave them a hard squeeze "Tulus we have been friends since I was an infant. You obviously regret what happened. That is the end of it."

Tulus finally managed to look at Legolas and Galithil. His eyes held a mixture of remorse and relief and gratitude. "You have no idea how...wrong I sometimes felt, speaking with you, even playing with you when you were younger, and knowing you had no idea what I was guilty of. I felt as if I was lying to you the entire time. And I could never forget what my inaction nearly deprived you of. Glílavan lost his mother at an early age too. I know what that does to a child. I would have never forgiven myself if it had happened to either of you." Tulus glanced at Galithil and closed his eyes. "I am sorry for that reminder, Galithil."

Galithil shook his head. "I know. So am I. But I did have my naneth much longer that Glílavan did, and for that I am grateful."

Thranduil walked behind Galithil and, ignoring his protests of 'I am fine, uncle,' sat down next to him and put an arm around his shoulders. "There is a bit more to this, that I need you to know."

Legolas tensed again. He did not really want to hear anything else.

"From what I understand, Legolas, you assumed that Tulus followed you to Selwon's village to retrieve you and the horse that you...borrowed. Is that correct?" Thranduil asked.

Legolas looked from his father to Tulus, his mind processing the implications of that question. "I assumed that, yes. Apparently I was not correct. Why else would Tulus have followed me?"

Thranduil smiled slightly. "You are further assuming that Tulus followed you. He did not. He was already in the village. Your assumption provided us with a convenient explanation for why he was in the village when he was discovered there."

"Tulus was already in the village?" Legolas repeated. Then it hit him. "Tulus was spying on Dannenion and Dolwon?"

Thranduil nodded.

Legolas punched Galithil in the arm. "I told you Adar would never trust them to go south, or anywhere else, alone unless he thought he could catch them at something," he said. Then he tried, with marginal success, to contain his excitement. "Are you going to tell us what you caught them at?"

Thranduil shook his head, now laughing lightly at his son. "You are correct. Tulus was trying to catch them communicating with Marti, so he could arrest her. But the battle and the need to protect you foiled those plans, so we caught them at nothing."

Legolas's face fell. "I apologize, adar," he said quickly.

"I do too, my lord," Galithil added.

Legolas's eyes widened. He could not think of any occasion when any of his cousins had spoken to his father saying 'my lord.' They often called him 'the King' or 'lord Thranduil' in public, especially when speaking to Dannenion or Dolwon's families, but Legolas's cousins called him 'uncle' to his face. Even Berior and Eirienil, who were not really his nephew and niece, but only his cousins--very distant cousins--did that. Even the adults in the family only referred to Thranduil with 'my lord' in court. Legolas bit his lip. They were in the Great Hall, after all. And he and Galithil did just find out that they had interfered with the governance of the realm. By going south, they had spoiled Tulus's chance to arrest a criminal. Perhaps 'my lord' was appropriate in this case. Legolas looked guiltily back at his father.

Thranduil had not failed to notice the title applied to him either. He nodded once to Galithil with a very serious expression. "We agreed we would not speak any further of that incident, and we will not," he said. His gaze turned to encompass everyone at the table. "But, Dannenion and Dolwon know nothing of this. In the interest of spying on them, Tulus led them to think that he still sympathizes with their ideas about me. I believe Tulus even told them that he helped you in Selwon's village only in an effort to help Anastor and Noruil?"

Tulus nodded. "The King, Conuion and I discussed the possibility of allowing Dannenion and Dolwon to continue to believe that I accepted a position to guard you while still harboring sympathies to their cause. But it is my opinion that such a scheme places you in far too much danger. It makes you a direct target, where you have never been one before, because they will certainly ask me to betray you to them if they think I might."

"If it were Dolgailon being placed in such a position, since he is an adult and a warrior," Thranduil said, "Or if you were an adult, capable of defending yourself, I might consider asking you if you were willing to be bait for such a trap. But as it is, Tulus and Conuion and I have decided that it would be far too difficult to properly protect you under those conditions. So Tulus is going to tell Dannenion and Dolwon that he no longer sympathizes with them. He will claim that he was flattered by the invitation to rejoin the guard and he wants to do it."

Again, Tulus nodded. "They never thought I was particularly dedicated to their cause, so they will believe that and accuse me of being a coward and a traitor." He shrugged. "I have heard it all before."

"Dannenion and Dolwon still be tempted to try to attack Legolas when Tulus is guarding him, though, thinking Tulus will hesitate to fight his old friends. Legolas will still be a target," Galithil said.

"Neither Dannenion nor Dolwon have ever directly attacked anyone in the family or any other elf," Conuion replied. "And our conversations with them do not indicate they have the stomach for such a thing. They work by hiring assassins. Tulus would react no differently than any other member of the guard to an assassin, and they know that. So there is no reason to believe Legolas or any member of the family is in increased danger due to Tulus's presence."

"I do not deny that both you and Legolas could now come into their thoughts more than before, however," Thranduil added. "But, surely you must have always been some sort of a target. You are young--for a long time not able to defend yourselves even as well as your naneths. And if they think I will bend to their demands for Lindomiel, then they must surely think I would do the same for either of you. The situation is not changed much, but it pays to be wary just the same."

Legolas and Galithil nodded in answer to that.

"That is all we need to discuss then, Thranduil said, standing. Legolas and Galithil hopped to their feet along with Tulus and Conuion. "Tulus is not well enough healed to start his new duties for another few days, and Colloth certainly is not. They will begin guarding you when they are fit for duty and in the meantime, since it will be such a short time, I suppose can continue to trust you to stay out of trouble?"

"Yes adar," Legolas replied.

"Yes, uncle," Galithil agreed.

"Off with you then. Do not forget to invite your daernaneth to plant seeds with you. I think you will be in a good deal of trouble if you forget that again," Thranduil warned as Legolas and Galithil pushed their chairs back into place under the table.

"We go get her to do it now," Galithil promised.

Together, Legolas and Galithil rushed to leave the Hall.


*~*~*

After the doors of the Great Hall had safely closed behind them and they had walked several steps away from the guards that stood by the doors, Legolas stopped and faced Galithil, looking at him squarely.

Galithil shook his head. "I do not even want to talk about it. It is too horrible."

Legolas started to scowl in disappointment and tried to determine what to say to draw his cousin into a conversation. After all, how could they not discuss all that news! But after a moment, he gave up. "You are right. I do not even know what to say about anything we just heard." He shrugged. "Except maybe that Tulus will not be a bad guard. At least he is friendly. And from what he said about gossiping about nana, maybe he will be a bit more likely to respect our privacy."

Galithil offered Legolas one of his increasingly rare grins in response to that. "I would like to know what indecorous behavior your adar and naneth were guilty of to give Tulus something to gossip about," he quipped.

Legolas laughed. "Possibly the same sort of behavior that made you want to go swimming with Maidhien yesterday rather than going to spy on the warriors with me?" he suggested. "I seem to recall you mentioning that Maidhien was 'curvy' when her shift was wet." Galithil's grin turned to a warning glare. "I think you said 'pleasantly curvy' to be exact," Legolas continued, with an openly teasing tone.

Galithil shoved him and then moved off towards the family quarters. "Come on, we have to plant seeds with daernaneth. Any idea what sorts of seeds or is it anything to distract her?"

"Dill seeds," Legolas responded, catching Galithil by his tunic. "We should go get Eirienil and Berior from the Green first. Or at least tell them where we are going, so they do not wait for us if they do not want to plant seeds too."

Galithil regarded Legolas suspiciously for a moment and then yielded to the firm tug on his sleeve. "What if Anastor and Noruil are there?"

Legolas laughed. "I do not think we will have any trouble persuading them to do something other than plant seeds with our daernaneth."

Galithil rolled his eyes, but did not pursue the question he obviously intended for Legolas to answer.

Legolas looked at him sidelong as they walked through the entry hall to the Gates. "My lord?" he said softly. He knew his cousin would know exactly what he was referring to and he did.

Galithil made a sour face. "Dolgailon told me to say it," he said defensively.

Legolas raised his eyebrows at that and Galithil nodded grumpily.

"When Dolgailon and I were leaving the Hall yesterday, after I offered to help him find things in Adar's office, he told me that if I was old enough to serve in the court, then I was old enough to address Uncle properly in court and bow when he dismisses me and things like that."

Legolas's eyebrows climbed even higher. Legolas had wondered what Dolgailon had said to Galithil that made him look so cross yesterday. That explained it. "Well, I suppose he is right. But Adar does not seem to expect that though. But he did seem to approve of it when you said it just now," Legolas said with an 'on the one hand, but then again on the other' type tone. "I admit I could see why he might have approved of a little extra courtesy at that moment. I am surprised he is not angry that we made Tulus miss the chance to arrest that elleth."

The somber expression that seemed to shadow Galithil's face descended upon him at those words and Legolas was immediately sorry for reminding his cousin of one more thing that he could blame himself for. He sighed. "I think it was very impressive how you responded to everything Tulus told us. You usually have a much quicker temper than me. I expected you to have a fit, but you barely said anything. And you really did the right thing when you told him you wanted to forget about it. It meant so much to him to see that we would not hold it against him. How did you know what to say? I did not have any idea how to respond."

Galithil was quiet for a moment before he spoke. "I guess it helps if you know what it feels like to have something really big that you regret," he finally said.

Legolas grimaced. It was nearly impossible to say anything that did not remind Galithil of his grief and that was exactly what Legolas was trying to avoid doing. They had reached the Gates. "Come on," Legolas urged, grabbing Galithil's arm and propelling  him onto the bridge. Then he pushed him into the sun and the cheerful calls of his friends, who greeted them with much the same impatience that they had the day before. Legolas ignored Eirienil's 'Did you have another exam?' question and Maidhien's complaints of 'Finally' as he scanned the Green for Berior and Brethil.

"They already went with Anastor and Noruil," Aewen said in response to his questioning expression.

"Where?" Legolas asked, not believing it. "Not to spy on the training fields?"

"Of course to spy on the training fields," Aewen replied. "You went yesterday, so they think it is the thing to do now. And they got tired of waiting for you today, so they said you could meet them there."

"Did Anastor and Noruil go too?" Legolas asked.

Aewen nodded matter-of-factly.

Legolas sighed and started across the Green.

Galithil grasped his arm. Hard. "We are planting seeds with daernaneth," he said firmly. "Your naneth will be furious if we do not."

Legolas pulled free of Galithil's grasp. "Go get daernana and take her to the garden. I am going to get Berior and Brethil and then I will join you."

Galithil cocked his head to one side and leveled an openly doubtful glare on his cousin. "Sounds like a dodge that I have used in the past," he said quietly.

Legolas shook his head. "It is not a dodge. Really. You know Anastor and Noruil will do something to tease Berior and Brethil if no one is there to stand up for them. Something mean, probably. I am just going to get them." Legolas put his hands on his hips when Galithil's expression did not change. "There is no point in spying on the training fields anymore anyway because we will not be able to get away with it with guards dogging our steps. I am just going to get our cousins, alright?"

"Promise me," Galithil demanded.

Legolas laughed. "At least you will still trust a promise then." He was a little surprised at how serious he felt when he said that. And at how much it bothered him. "Very well, I promise. I will get Berior and Brethil and come help plant seeds with daernaneth."

Galithil nodded. "Fine," was all he said.

*~*~*

Adar/ada -- Father/dad
Naneth/nana -- Mother/mum
Daernaneth/daernana -- Grandmother
Elleth -- female elf





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List