Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Quest  by cathleen

Quest

Chapter Four

“Voices”

 

They called to him yet again; musical voices, their song drifting into his ears, entwining themselves around his spirit. Soft and soothing, they tempted him to sink into their peaceful tones, to lose himself, and submit to their will. They whispered his name in a strange tongue, and yet he understood. They promised him solace if only he would join in their journey. He reached out to the tiny glowing spheres, following their call into a place without time, where the swirling colours held bitter tastes, and voices danced with the clouds in wild abandon. When he touched the sky the horizon echoed with music that both delighted and repelled him. A shadow within the mist seemed to peer at him. Who lingered there? Pippin called out and felt the soft touch of his own voice as it echoed in return; the pain and joy consumed him. . .

 

Frodo tried to force his mind shut to their unremitting call, but the voices insisted he listen. He whirled away, seeking silence, but still the voices interfered; their music grew dark, the quality, jarring. Melodies threatened, beckoned and repelled him. He clutched the Ring, turning this way and that, seeking a path away from the misery; his thoughts scattered like feathers upon the wind. Stumbling forward, the voices followed, taunting and tempting him. Far ahead, a figure melted within the gloom. Its face was a void; its engaging laughter belied its true nature. Frodo felt the chill breath upon him and a scream rose in his throat. He struggled to free it . . .

Pippin awoke with a start. He sat up quickly and darted a look of unease about the campsite, straining to hear something, anything, in the darkness.  Instead, all that greeted him were the night sounds of the mountain and the gentle snores of his companions. In the near distance he discerned the squat figure of the Dwarf, dutifully walking his patrol around the perimeter of their camp. Pippin turned to his kin, his gaze falling on Merry, who appeared to rest quietly. Next, Pippin watched Frodo, his brow wrinkling in dismay as he realised Frodo was dreaming.  His cousin’s lids twitched as the eyes concealed beneath them followed some unknown action with fervent intensity. Pippin leaned over and gently nudged him. 

“What, what is it?”  Frodo woke with a start and sat up quickly, eyes searching Pippin’s face, concern evident in his drawn features.  “What’s wrong?” Frodo forced himself awake with a shake of his head.

“You were dreaming.  I was worried you were having another nightmare.”  Pippin scanned their surroundings.  “I was dreaming too.”   

Frodo stretched out an arm to comfort Pippin. “It’s all right. It was just a dream. Go back to sleep.” Frodo started to lie down but hesitated at the quality of Pippin’s whisper.

“Frodo, I’m afraid.” 

“Of what?” Frodo kept his voice low.

“I’m not certain. My dream. . .it felt like someone was making me do something against my will. I don’t know. . .it was. . .like someone was inside my mind with me. A voice was speaking to me. It seemed to want me to do something. I’m not sure how to explain it.” He shivered again, harder this time, and clung to Frodo tightly.

“Pippin, dreams are odd things, you know. They seem very real while we’re having them, and when we first wake up. But your dream will fade and then you will feel better,” Frodo soothed.  “Nothing is after you. Now, let’s go back to sleep, shall we?” Frodo lay back and pulled the blanket up to his chin. 

Pippin remained sitting.  “It knew my name,” he said, his voice sounding small and lost. When Frodo did not respond he asked, “What was your dream about?”

Frodo shuddered.  “I would rather not discuss it. Go to sleep.” With that he turned over, pulling the blanket with him. Sam mumbled but did not move at the disturbance as Frodo settled in beside him.

Pippin stared at his back for a moment, chewing on his bottom lip.  Finally, he threw back the cover and started to rise.

“Where are you going?” Frodo’s tone told Pippin his cousin was losing patience with him.

“I have to go, that’s all. Don’t worry, I won’t be long.” 

Pippin moved carefully but not quietly enough to avoid alerting Legolas. The Elf took note of the direction in which Pippin was heading and then arose to follow. Having overheard the conversation he knew Pippin was upset about something. His instincts told him that the young one’s purpose in heading away from the group had little, if anything, to do with answering the call of nature.

Stealthily, he followed the hobbit out of their sheltered area among the rocks. Although Pippin moved almost silently it was not difficult to track him across the snowy ground. Legolas was able to stay out of sight with ease. 

After walking a considerable distance from the safety of their campsite Pippin abruptly was still. He tilted his head upward to the night sky, his curls falling back from his face. With a puzzled frown, he searched the stars, holding this pose for so long Legolas began to fear for him. He had already taken several steps forward when Pippin lowered his head and slowly turned, trudging back the way he had come. Legolas quickly stepped behind an outcropping of rock. He watched curiously as the hobbit passed his hiding place, then followed, waiting for Pippin to tuck himself back into his blankets before letting out a small breath he hadn’t realised he’d been holding.

He closed the rest of the distance and headed Gimli off on his path to awaken Gandalf. The Dwarf started when Legolas appeared as if out of thin air beside him.

“Ahh! By all that is good and proper, don’t sneak up on a body like that, Elf!”  Gimli clutched his chest in alarm. “What are you trying to do, stop my heart?”

“I am sorry.” Legolas dipped his head in apology. “It was not my intention to fail to announce my presence. I will take the next watch.”

Gimli regarded him quizzically. “Well, I suppose that’s all right, but my watch is not up for a few hours yet, and Gandalf has the watch after me.”

“However, I am already up and about. It is better to allow the wizard his rest, is it not? I will take his watch as well as my own.”

“If that’s what you want to do, far be it for me to argue with you. I’ll be turning in then.” Gimli shouldered his weapon and departed for his bedding near the fire.

Legolas made his way to the outer perimeter. He occasionally stopped and listened intently as he studied his surroundings with piercing eyes. He heard nothing save the night noises commonplace to the mountains. His only company appeared to be the bright stars above. Legolas pondered the hobbit’s restlessness. The Company certainly did not need another night wandering halfling, however Pippin had been fully awake and aware of his actions. Legolas did not wish to be the cause of his getting into trouble with Aragorn. However, his behaviour was potentially hazardous. As he had warned, it was not wise to be keeping secrets on this journey. He resolved to have a private conversation with Pippin when they stopped to rest tomorrow. 

Legolas was not aware that yet another had awakened and noticed the coming and going of one small hobbit and an Elf. Gandalf observed the entire scene through half-closed eyes, watching until Pippin was safe beneath the blankets once more and Legolas had gone to take the watch from Gimli. He listened to their quiet conversation. Although he had been afforded extra rest due to the Elf’s sacrifice, Gandalf did not slumber for the remainder of the night. His thoughts continued going over the scene he had witnessed as he held vigil over his companions.

 

***

The pebbles were shiny and smooth. Each one he collected was a different shade than the one before it. Always located in the water, it was almost as if they were following him wherever they travelled. He wondered how this treasure had come to him, why he was the one who always found the small rocks with the brilliant glow, but for now the simple pleasure of possessing them was enough.

Pippin studied the stones as he readied his pack for the day’s march, pausing to count them again. There were four in all now. He caressed the brightest one thoughtfully as he worked, careful to keep it out of view of questioning eyes. The dreams of the night before had begun to haunt his waking thoughts. Pippin still felt very disturbed. He puzzled over the voices he was certain he heard on occasion, as well as the voices in his dream. They knew his name and that gave him pause. It wasn’t fear, exactly. But he hadn’t liked the dreams. The dreams made him feel as though something beyond his control was taking place. Pippin looked up when he heard Merry calling him.

“I’m coming!” He shouldered the pack and deposited the stones back into his pocket.

The day’s walk was tiring, the wind biting cold. The snow deepened as they climbed. Frodo was feeling out of sorts again. He hadn’t slept well, and being awakened by Pippin and questioned about his dreams had not helped matters. He lifted his head and listened to the raised voices of his cousins as they trudged along behind him. Tossing a look at Sam, Frodo shook his head, disgusted.

“They’re at it again,” Sam said in a low voice

Frodo nodded grimly.  “I do not understand it.”

“Well, per’aps it’s just the cold getting to them, and they’re tired.”

“Maybe.” Frodo stopped and looked over his shoulder, studying his battling cousins. “But I’ve never seen them this out of sorts with one another over something of that nature. Normally they would pull together all the more.”

“And how are you feeling today, Mr Frodo?” Sam surveyed him with a critical eye.

“Tired, but I’m well Sam. Not to worry.” Frodo felt Sam’s eyes upon him as he started walking again and knew his friend did not believe a word of what he’d said.

They trudged on and Frodo ruminated over his latest dream. His mood darkened all the more. He was growing annoyed once more with all of Sam’s fussing, but strengthened his resolve not to let it bother him.

Further back in line Boromir and Legolas were conspiring. They had been discussing the strife between the youngest hobbits and had come to an agreement. They eased up on the feuding cousins and Boromir grasped Merry’s arm and led him away.

Legolas pulled Pippin in the opposite direction. The Elf smiled reassuringly at him and pressed a finger to his lips to quiet the startled hobbit.

“What’s this?”  Merry protested, looking up at Boromir in surprise.  “What’s wrong?”

Boromir stopped and released Merry’s arm. He nodded at Legolas and Pippin.  “I think you need someone else’s company for a while, Merry. There has been too much disagreement between you and Pippin. The rest of us weary of listening to it.”

Merry shrugged and resumed walking. “It’s Pippin’s fault. He’s been as touchy as a bear the last few days. I can’t say anything to him without him getting offended.”

Boromir raised an eyebrow. “Are you certain it is all Pippin’s fault? What have you been saying to him exactly, to cause him to be so upset?”

“Nothing! I’ve just been looking out for him, that’s all. Nothing new about that.”

“I have a feeling this has something to do with the berry bush incident yesterday.”

“Well, I did mention how foolish it was for him to practically hang upside down over a cliff for a few measly berries.”

Boromir shook his head in consternation. “But, as I understand it, he was unaware of the long drop and simply made an error in judgment?”

“Errors like that will get him killed,” Merry muttered.

“That is true, but do not hold a simple mistake against him.” Boromir glanced ahead and noticed Legolas was having his own conversation with Pippin. “Just help us to keep a close eye on him, as we do Frodo.”

Merry snorted. “Keep a close eye on Pippin? You must be jesting. The rascal can get away from you before you even know what happened.” Merry sighed. “He’s always been like that. And I’m not going to put up with it for much longer.”

“Perhaps you could try a little harder.”

“Maybe,” Merry said, doubt betraying his true feelings. “But right now I’m this close,” he held up finger and thumb revealing a tiny space between them, “to thumping him soundly for his trouble.”

Boromir frowned his disapproval. 

Pippin was listening impassively to Legolas’s concerns, nodding in all the right places, but his mind was still preoccupied with his dream. 

Impatient with Pippin’s reticence, Legolas paused and studied him before raising his voice slightly. “I do not believe you are listening to me. What I am telling you is quite important.”

Pippin tilted his head back and shading his eyes from the sun, stared up at him.  “I hear you Legolas. For pity’s sake, I’ve been listening to every word.” How could I not hear you when you’re right up in my ear? he thought. Pippin tried to placate Legolas. He wasn’t inclined to talk about the problem and hoped to convince Legolas to let it go before the others overheard.  “I’m sorry. I’ll not go wandering again. I promise.” Pippin started to walk away.

Legolas followed. “It is not the wandering that is my greatest concern at the moment. It is what else you are doing such as, the way you have been so cross towards Merry. That is not like you.” Legolas paused, studying the retreating hobbit’s back. “Are you still hearing things? Does that have anything to do with your anger?”

Pippin flinched and glanced guiltily about at the others. It didn’t appear that anyone had overheard the conversation. Aragorn and Gandalf were far ahead of them in the line, deep in their own concerns. Frodo and Sam had purposefully put some distance between them and Merry was trailing behind with Boromir. Gimli was at the very rear of their march. Pippin breathed a sigh of relief.

Legolas did not miss the furtive action. “No one is listening to us. But I am having second thoughts about keeping this from Aragorn.”

Pippin pleaded, “Don’t tell him! Don’t tell anyone.”

“Why is that so important to you? I do not understand.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“Then help me to understand.”

Pippin said nothing.

Legolas came to a decision. “Either you talk to Aragorn or I will be forced to.”

Pippin stared at him with narrowed eyes. He huffed his displeasure and started to walk away. Legolas grabbed his arm once more and hauled him back to his side. “Now who is attracting attention to himself? I am serious, Peregrin. There will be no more putting it off. You must speak to him, or I will.”

Pippin pressed his lips together. “This isn’t fair Legolas. I thought we were friends.”

“It is for that reason I am asking you to speak with Aragorn. I am your friend, Pippin.”

“You didn’t ask me. You told me.”

Legolas sighed quietly and closed his eyes, massaging his temples. Elves seldom got headaches but he felt one coming on nevertheless. Hobbits! How did I get myself into this? he wondered.  “Then kindly explain to me why you are so reluctant to reveal this. Surely you realise Aragorn will do his utmost to help you?”

Pippin snorted rudely. “He would tell Gandalf and they would cluck their tongues over what a queer young hobbit I am. I can hear it now! Pippin’s such a fool of a Took! Hearing things, is he? Why, he’s just like his ridiculous Aunt Pringle. You know, the one everyone whispers about. Ah yes, the peculiar one. Now we have another in our midst!” Pippin chuckled mirthlessly as he drew in a breath and continued, his words spilling out in a rush.

“And here’s Peregrin acting just like her now! Well, how truly amazing.  Everyone knows that Aunt Pringle’s oddness appears at least once every other generation or so, but we thought we got lucky and it passed us by this time. We knew it would appear again, and how fitting for it to be Peregrin because he’s just so foolish!  Why, he’s awfully likely to go mad soon--”

Legolas stared at the volatile hobbit in shock, finally interrupting the tirade. “Enough Pippin!  Whatever are you going on about? You know neither Aragorn nor Gandalf would treat you thus. Why, you are near hysterical! Whatever is wrong with you? This is not like you at all.”

Pippin stared up at the Elf as if seeing him for the first time, then burst into tears. Legolas was dumbfounded as he knelt, placing a comforting arm around Pippin. There was no getting around attracting the attention of the others this time. Merry rushed to his cousin’s side as the rest of their party came to a halt; gradually the realisation dawned that something was wrong.    

Aragorn headed for the little gathering casting a puzzled frown at Legolas, who shrugged helplessly as Gandalf approached. Boromir watched Merry attempting to calm his cousin while Frodo led them both to a place to sit.  The Dwarf had caught up to them and lingered nearby, his foot perched upon a small rock and as he studied the scene, baffled.

“I would suggest this is probably an opportune time to have a bit of a rest and something to eat,” the wizard suggested dryly.

Aragorn nodded. He beckoned to Frodo and bid him follow to a more private place. Frodo obeyed reluctantly, glancing over his shoulder in concern as he left Pippin to Merry’s care. Aragorn knelt on one knee, bringing himself to eyelevel with Frodo and placed a hand on his arm. The hobbit gazed back at him, worry written all over his face.

“Do you have any thoughts as to what is wrong with Pippin? He is clearly not himself.”

Frodo shook his head. “I don’t understand it. As I was just saying to Sam, Pippin has been acting a bit curiously of late. He has been baiting Merry all morning with his various comments, and then reacting crossly when Merry retaliates. Then he starts an argument and acts the injured party. I believe that is the reason Boromir and Legolas separated them earlier.”

Aragorn nodded. “Not only has Pippin been reacting with uncharacteristic anger towards Merry, he also seems to be displaying a poor attitude to others. His reaction to the conversation with Legolas was overly dramatic, even for him. I must find out what their talk was about.”

Frodo watched Pippin, who was sitting on a rock, arms folded across his chest, not uttering a word to anyone despite their attentions. He studied his cousin thoughtfully for a moment. “Pippin woke me last night while I was in the midst of a bad dream. I was actually quite relieved he did. He was frightened though.” Frodo tugged at his bottom lip. “He’d been dreaming. He was afraid. . .” Frodo hesitated, trying to recall their conversation.  “Afraid about something trying to get inside his mind, he said. He told me it was as if someone had been talking to him, or attempting to make him do something. He was rather upset.”

“Then what happened?”

“After we talked for a few minutes I thought he was sufficiently calmed and would go back to sleep. I laid down and told him to do the same.”

“And did he?”

Frodo answered slowly. “No. At least not right at that moment. He said he had to go to the privy and he would be right back. I did not think anything of it at the time.” He sighed. “I confess I was feeling cross by then and I turned away from him to get some more sleep.”

Aragorn watched Pippin while Frodo spoke.

Gandalf joined them and laid a hand on the Ringbearer’s shoulder. Frodo smiled, grateful for the contact. He felt unnerved by the events surrounding his usually sweet-tempered cousin.

“Frodo was just telling me about being awakened by Pippin last night.” 

The wizard nodded. “I am aware of this.” Gandalf took a seat on a boulder and beckoned them closer. “I was awakened by your conversation, Frodo. I watched Pippin leave camp--”

“What?” Aragorn frowned.

Gandalf raised a hand and motioned for Aragorn to settle down. “He was followed closely by Legolas. After a time they returned. I do not believe Pippin was aware of Legolas’s presence at the time. He simply climbed back underneath his blanket and went back to sleep. Legolas took my watch and I myself kept an eye on the hobbits for the remainder of the night.”

Aragorn asked, “Do you know if Pippin was fully aware of his actions at the time?”

Gandalf nodded with certainty. “He was awake. It was not a case of night wandering such as our Ringbearer has done.”

Frodo frowned at that and Gandalf chuckled at his discomfiture. “You have been doing well Frodo, do not fret so. Lashing your foot to Samwise’s has proven to be a very helpful device to prevent your sleepwalking, with the exception of the one time, of course.”

“Why have you not mentioned this already, Gandalf? Or Legolas?”

“I had every intention of speaking with you about it, later tonight after we camped. I did not believe it was necessary to do so sooner. As for Legolas, I would imagine his reasoning is similar to mine.”

“I think we need to have a frank conversation tonight. I would like these things brought into the open. From now on, anything the least bit out of the ordinary should be brought up the next morning, before breaking camp. Are we in agreement?”

“Of course.”

Aragorn nodded to Frodo. “Yes?”

“Yes,” Frodo replied.

The Company shared a small repast in near silence. Pippin refused to discuss his emotional outburst with anyone, including Merry, and consumed his food in miserable silence. The other hobbits exchanged occasional worried glances. When they finally arose to resume their journey Merry pulled his cousin to his side.

“Walk with us,” he said quietly. “I don’t know what’s wrong but stay close to me, all right?”

Pippin nodded and allowed Merry’s arm to remain about his shoulders. As they started out he caught Legolas’s eye and pleaded with him silently. The Elf tilted his head, indicating his agreement. Pippin heaved a sigh of relief although his unease was apparent when Aragorn called Legolas away to walk with him at the front of the line.

“Gandalf told me you followed Pippin out of camp last night.” Aragorn kept his voice low.

“Yes. He told Frodo he had been dreaming and he appeared to be upset. I followed him to assure his safety.”

“But you did not let your presence be known.”

“Nay, I could see no reason for it at the time. I merely wanted to be sure he did not go far, and that he made it back without trouble.”

“Is there anything else?”

Legolas thought over his dilemma. If he said too little it would appear he was covering something up. If he said too much, he would break his promise to Pippin. Legolas chose his words carefully. “I could not discern any reason to let Pippin know I was watching him, I simply wished to see to his safety. I planned to continue keeping a close watch on him for any further incidents.”

“What do you believe may be troubling Pippin?”

Legolas continued walking. He did not speak for several moments. “I am not yet certain, but I have been considering his odd behaviour and I feel that whatever is happening is somehow connected to the Ringbearer.”

“What do you mean?”

“Pippin and Frodo share a strong kinship. They are cousins, of course, which counts for more among hobbits than among men or Elves, but their friendship is a closer one than most, I believe. It may very well be that Pippin’s heart feels the turmoil of Frodo’s spirit, and he is speaking and acting in a way that Frodo cannot.”

Legolas paused and cast a quick glance back at the others. Reassuring himself they remained out of earshot he resumed. “Aragorn, you are yourself aware that strong are the heart-cords of close kindred. It is possible that Pippin may be feeling Frodo’s burden.”  

“You mean that Pippin is acting on Frodo’s fears? That his heart understands all the feelings his cousin is hiding and he is giving expression to them for him?”

Legolas nodded slowly. “I think that is a possibility.” Legolas hesitated before adding, “As the youngest of our Company he has much growing yet to do, and like his kin, he is being confronted with many things beyond his ken for the first time.  There is a large amount of uncertainty in his mind.”

“All of the hobbits are facing things they never have before. Why Pippin?”

“I do not know the answer to that. Perhaps it will be revealed to us soon.”  Perhaps after I convince him to tell you about the voices, he thought. Legolas tried to push the other possibility out of his mind—that Pippin was hearing the insidious whispers of the Ring. He hated to think of what dreadful things it was constantly saying to Frodo, and he hated even more to imagine that it was aiming its malice at the youngest of their Company. Yet for some reason, his heart told him that it was something else besides the Ring itself. . .

 

***

The remainder of the day progressed without event as they continued to climb the mountainous pass. As evening approached Legolas went off to scout a place of rest. Gandalf touched Aragorn’s shoulder lightly and tilted his head towards the gradually darkening sky.

“I know.” The Ranger’s voice was low. “We can only hope that Legolas is able to find an exceptional shelter for us tonight.” The two walked in companionable silence for a time. “Gandalf, what do you think ails Pippin? Do you think his behaviour the past week has anything to do with having bad dreams?”

The wizard sighed. “I’m not certain as of yet. Something is troubling him.  Perhaps it is because he is concerned about Frodo. Remember, Pippin was the one Frodo attacked in his sleep during one of his night terrors.” Gandalf considered the episode that occurred several days prior. “However, I believe he bears watching as much as Frodo.”

“That is certain.”

“Perhaps I can convince him to talk to me.”

Aragorn glanced over his shoulder at the trailing hobbits that were being closely followed by Boromir and Gimli. He rubbed at his chin.  “I do not know.  He is not even talking to Merry at the moment.”

“We shall see. Perhaps I can convince him to share what is troubling him when the moment is right.”

They both looked up as the sound of laughter drifted to them. Relief flooded Aragorn’s face when he noticed his companions had managed to create some frivolity and dispense with the melancholia.

Frodo and Sam had begun telling funny stories as they trudged up the hill in an attempt to lighten the mood. After a time they’d managed to coax Pippin out of his doldrums and Merry began to relax as he joined in. Even Boromir and Gimli were enjoying the tales of life in the Shire. 

As the mood grew lighter so did Pippin’s cares and he was finally able to put some of his fears from his restless mind. Even the dreams were temporarily forgotten as he eagerly joined in the storytelling. As the day approached its end the atmosphere amongst them appeared normal once more. The group’s attention was drawn to the forefront when they spotted Legolas returning from his scouting. Merry trotted ahead, eager to hear what the shouting was about.

Pippin lagged behind purposefully and his hand sought the smooth pebbles in his pocket. He smiled feeling strangely calmed as he ran his fingers across the surface of the glowing stones. He suppressed a giggle when Merry glanced over his shoulder and favoured him with a questioning look. Pippin raised an eyebrow in innocence and stilled his hand, and soon his cousin’s interest returned to the scene ahead.

Pippin scooped the stones out of his pocket and gazed down at them in wonder. He was startled to find they had grown very warm and were shining more brightly than ever. His attention was captivated by their bluish glow, and as he stared into them he was certain the colours had begun to swirl in an azure rainbow. Pippin’s eyes grew wide as he beheld the odd sight and as he watched, spellbound, he heard the sighing whispers.

Peregrin. . .

The surprise nearly caused him to spill the handful of pebbles onto the ground. His head jerked up in time to see Merry sprinting towards him, urging him to stop lingering. Pippin quickly deposited his secret treasure back into his breeches pocket.

“What are you doing? Hurry up! Legolas is back. Maybe he found a good place for us to sleep tonight.” Merry grabbed his cousin’s arm and tugged on it. Pippin was too caught up in his astonishment to be annoyed and trotted along obediently beside him.

“Look! Up ahead. Just to the side of that large jagged outcropping,” Aragorn’s excitement was contagious and they looked where he pointed.

Pippin lifted his gaze to the gray sky and grinned when he saw what Aragorn was pointing at. The hobbits all hurried to catch up when they realised a cavern had been located for shelter. Sam could not contain his excitement when he realised they would be spending a comfortable night with a warm fire again.

“At last,” he breathed, his relief plain on his wind-chapped features. He grinned happily at Frodo and trotted through the snow as fast as his legs would allow.

The revelry was infectious and the others quickly expressed gratitude to their scout. Legolas acknowledged the gratitude with his usual aplomb.

“Come! Let us get the wood from Bill’s pack and start the fire. We are all chilled to the bone,” Aragorn directed.

“Right away!” The hobbits’ cries of agreement rose and they hurried about to set up camp. Sam gathered rocks to create a border for the fire while Frodo piled the wood that his cousins supplied.

“It will be so welcome to have a warm fire tonight!  It has been, what Sam, almost a week since we have had a truly decent place to rest?” Frodo asked.

“Aye, it’s funny how you can learn to be grateful for the things we used to take for granted.”

“That is certainly very true, my lads.” The wizard eased himself to the ground and began removing items from his pack. “We are very fortunate to find this place. “It will be a blessing to have relief from the cold for a short time.”

“I couldn’t agree more!” Gimli strolled past the group and dropped his things inside the entrance to the cave. He stooped to peer back into its depths.  “Why, it’s quite deep! That is a surprise, now. Who would be thinking we’d happen upon such a nice place again so soon?”

“So soon? What are you talking about, Gimli? It’s been forever since we’ve had a decent place to sleep.” Sam shook his head in disbelief.

“And a warm fire!” Merry sighed happily.

“That’s true enough, but I was comparing this place to the wonderful cavern we found before we started up the mountain. We certainly haven’t had a place this comfortable since then.”

“Gimli is correct.” Aragorn strode into the shelter and dropped an armload of wood near the pyre of stone Sam was building. “We have our exceptionally keen eyed Elf to thank for this.” He grinned at Legolas who smiled slightly.

“Yes, and we humbly thank you.” Boromir said as he walked past, depositing his own load of wood near the small pit.

“Indeed we do, Master Greenleaf.” Gandalf sat on the boulders just inside the entrance and began taking inventory of the supplies being placed on the ground. Frodo carried some of the items to Sam as the gardener fed the fire with slivers of dry wood.

Legolas accepted their praise without a word. Instead, he stooped and inspected the dark recesses. “I believe it would be wise if we were to explore further back into the cave before the night falls. While I did go back a ways, I did not spare the time for as thorough an inspection as is warranted.”

“Gimli, would you care to join us?” Aragorn spoke as he readied a torch.  “Boromir, will you stay with the others?”

Boromir waved them on their way as he busied himself with the fire, assisting Sam with laying the wood out and readying the pit.

Aragorn lit a torch, leading the Elf and Dwarf into the increasing blackness in the far tunnel of the cave.

Frodo listened intently as their voices faded away and then went to stand at the cavern’s entrance, gazing out into the surrounding landscape. Merry joined him and stood by quietly for a moment before speaking.

“Something on your mind?”  Merry extended an arm and placed it around Frodo’s thin shoulders.

Frodo met and held his cousin’s eyes for a moment before answering. He indicated the sky. “A great many clouds are forming in the distance. It looks like it will soon be snowing.” He rubbed at his left shoulder and smiled at Merry ruefully. “It seems I can always tell when bad weather is approaching these days, thanks to this.”

“Ah, just like Granda and his old bones,” Merry chuckled. “Now there is one hobbit who can always tell what kind of weather is coming.”

“Pity he isn’t here now. Perhaps he could help us figure out whether it is wise to stay put or move on.” Gandalf joined them.

Merry looked puzzled. “Why?”

The wizard leaned over and peered out at the sky with a frown before answering. “Simply because it is often difficult to know what the best decision is, Meriadoc. There is obviously more foul weather approaching, but just how much of a storm there will be is difficult to forecast.” Gandalf released a sharp sigh. “The mountain weather feels uncertain. Perhaps this will blow over by morning, or perhaps we will awaken to a mighty storm. Either way, there is precious little we can do about it.”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List