Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Quest  by cathleen

“When Darkness Summons”

Chapter Six

Pippin listened to his cousins’ quiet conversation. He knew they were talking about him. Well, let them, he thought. He was more concerned with finding his lost stone at the moment. He mentally retraced his steps since entering the cavern as he wandered about in the water pretending to care about catching fish. He was certain he’d had all four when they’d made camp.

Pippin sighed, stabbing half-heartedly at one of the pasty fish as it swam between his feet. His temper flared and he lunged, attempting to snatch the creature from the water. It slipped through his fingers and darted away. Pippin watched it go, chewing on his lip. A thought occurred to him. Could the stones have fallen out of his pocket while he was getting a drink? Pippin looked back in the direction of the little waterfall that trickled invitingly between a pair of rocks. Or perhaps when he’d sought privacy to go to the privy? He would begin his search at the waterfall and work his way back to their camp. Pippin saw that Frodo and the others were preoccupied with the fish. He could slip away now and go have a look.

A flicker in the stream caught his eye as he turned. He plunged his hand eagerly into the shallows to retrieve the largest of the stones he had found thus far! Pippin could hardly contain his excitement but managed to muffle his shout when the others looked his way. He stuffed the stone deep into his pocket and pretended to return to his task; his mind raced. Why, it’s nearly as big as my best shooter marble back home, Pippin thought. He quickly sobered. But where are the other stones? I must find them!

Boromir saw Pippin retrieve something from the water. He puzzled at the young hobbit’s delight in his find. A smile crossed the man’s face. Pippin was always putting things in his pockets. It seemed he had found yet another treasure. Boromir chuckled, returning to his task.

***

“I found another large chamber yonder,” the dwarf pointed over his shoulder with a stubby thumb, “and another pool of water with some remarkable rock formations.”

“I believe this series of caverns extends well beyond the mountain above us.” Aragorn said. “We might be able to follow it for miles, possibly even find an easier path. We would need to explore further. However, I am not convinced it would be worth the risk at this time.”

Legolas approached and gave a nod. “The path I followed leads to a very steep drop into the lower caverns. We must be certain we remain alert to such treacherous areas.”

Aragorn eyed him with concern.

“I myself nearly stepped into it,” Legolas answered the unspoken question. “If not for some falling pebbles I would not have seen the crevasse before it was too late.”

“Let’s go mark that passage, then. We’ll not want any accidents.” Gimli led the way. “Even when you’re accustomed to being underground you cannot be too careful.”

“I agree,” Aragorn said.

Boromir held up a long string of fish in triumph as they approached. 

“Excellent. Let us be on our way back.” Aragorn motioned for them to join him. Merry and Frodo were eager to return to the group. Pippin trailed behind. “Come Pippin,” Aragorn beckoned. 

Pippin reluctantly followed the others. He must slip away later on some pretense. The stones seemed to call out to him in some way, like an odd sort of itch that he could not possibly scratch. A sense of urgency prickled at the back of his neck, distracting him.

Pippin shuffled along, his eyes darting warily across the ground. He would search every inch of this cavern if necessary. His mood darkened with annoyance as he berated himself yet again for losing the stones. 

It was Aragorn’s fault, he thought. If he hadn’t got so impatient with me, making me hurry about. I never would have dropped them if I weren’t so distracted!  Pippin kicked hard at some loose dirt. A stray shard of rock sailed away, stinging Merry sharply in the rear.

“Oww!” 

Pippin’s head shot up in surprise at Merry’s shout, and he winced, instantly ashamed of himself. Nevertheless, he couldn’t stop the mischievous grin from spreading across his face when he realised what had happened.

Merry rubbed at his seat and whirled around. Spying Pippin, his eyes narrowed. “That wasn’t funny!”

“What? I didn’t do anything!” Pippin’s chuckle only served to make his cousin angrier.

“You were tossing rocks at me!”

“I was not!”

“Yes, you were!” Merry advanced on his cousin.

“No, I was not!”

Merry crossed his arms and looked Pippin up and down. “I think you owe me an apology.”

A myriad of feelings played across Pippin’s face, a reflection of his inner turmoil. A moment of regret prodded at him, but it was soon replaced by annoyance and Pippin shut his mouth on his explanation that it had been an accident. Why should he apologise when he had not meant to do it? Besides, it was funny, he thought. “I think you’re losing your sense of humour.”

Merry’s eyes widened at the taunt. “Oh, really? Well, I think you’re losing your wits, that is, what little you had to begin with.”

Pippin lunged at Merry, taking them all by surprise, and shoved him hard enough to land Merry solidly on his backside. Merry leaped up and came at Pippin, who immediately curled his hands into fists and raised them. Frodo and Sam stared at them in disbelief.

“Stop this nonsense!” Frodo shouted.

Boromir descended upon Merry and Pippin as the two connected. “Enough!” He yanked them apart and shook each of them in turn. “You will cease this minute!”

Legolas stepped back and caught hold of Pippin’s arm. “Come. We need to talk.”

“That we do,” Pippin hissed, prying ineffectively at the Elf’s fingers.

Legolas took no notice of the struggle and held him back calmly as he motioned for the others to go on ahead. Frodo tugged Merry away; Merry continued to seethe and toss threatening looks over his shoulder as Frodo hurried him along in the opposite direction.

When they were alone Legolas spun Pippin around to face him. “You must tell Aragorn what has been happening. I will not keep silent another day.”

Pippin tried once more to dislodge the grip on his arm. Legolas released him.

Pippin jerked away, a dark cloud descending over his usually sunny features. “You followed me that night!” Pippin rubbed his shoulder.

“I did. For your own safety.”

“I didn’t want to be followed! I wanted some time alone!”

“The way is dangerous, you little scoundrel! I could not let you go alone.”

“What makes you think you can do anything you like?”

“I will do whatever needs to be done when it concerns the safety and well-being of this Company.” The Elf pressed his lips into a thin line and stared down at Pippin.

“Och! Same old excuse,” Pippin spat.

“What is the matter with you? You are clearly not yourself.”

“I’m getting tired of being ordered about, that’s all.”

“No Pippin, I do not think for one moment that is what you are upset about.  It is the voices, is it not?”

Pippin raised his brow in mock innocence. “What voices?” Legolas’s eyes widened in disbelief, then narrowed in irritation.

“You will inform Gandalf and Aragorn now.” Legolas snatched him by the shoulders and pushed him ahead. Pippin reacted by digging his heels into the ground but was forced to stumble along despite his protest.

“I shall pick you up and carry you slung over my shoulder if you will not walk on your own.” Legolas bent to carry out his threat. Pippin’s next words brought him to a halt. 

“You’ll be sorry,” Pippin threatened through gritted teeth.  “Do you think Aragorn will take kindly to the fact you haven’t already told him what you’ve known for some time?” 

Legolas’s grip loosened in his surprise and Pippin pulled away and turned. “So, go ahead and tell him! You’ll quickly find yourself in the same spot I was in last night. Are you quite certain you want to be disgraced like that?”

“What? Pippin, Aragorn simply suggested you quiet down so everyone could go to sleep. That is all. You have no cause to be so angry with him. ”

Pippin’s eyes took on a strange gleam. “Oh? So, that’s what you believe our conversation was about? Never mind. You haven’t a hint about what is actually going on right under your nose! All right, you go ahead then, and--”

“That will be quite enough Pippin.” Legolas’s voice was cold.

“You know I’m right.” Pippin marched on ahead without looking back. For all his bravado he was, in truth, quaking inside and hoped Legolas would take the bait and back down. Pippin held his breathe, his heart pounding. The silence seemed to stretch on unbearably. Pippin trembled with unease as he waited for the Elf’s reaction.

Legolas stared at Pippin’s back, considering the plea to keep the secret. For some reason he seemed unable to focus his thoughts. “You are right,” he whispered, “We must keep the secret.”

Pippin laughed, his tone harsh, but Legolas was not aware; an inner voice spoke to him, tickling at the edge of his thought, instructing him which path to take.

“I am willing to give you one more chance,” Legolas said, shaking his head as if waking from a deep sleep. “You must speak to them no later than tomorrow morning, or I shall be forced to.”

Pippin snorted, partially in relief and partly in disgust. “Legolas, if either you or I tell Gandalf and Aragorn now they’ll be irritated with us because we’ve held it back for so long. I need you to trust me. Please don’t make me tell. Not yet.” 

“Well. . .” Legolas hesitated, the prickling at the back of his neck increasing, making him lose focus. He tilted his head as if listening to some faraway voice. Pippin smiled, listening intently, and gave a slight nod. When Legolas became fully aware once more Pippin was watching him with a seemingly innocent look.

Legolas found he had lost track of the conversation. He shook his head and blinked, appearing puzzled. “I am sorry, what did you just say?”

Pippin spoke slowly and deliberately. “We should keep quiet about the voices. Gandalf and Aragorn would not like what we have to say.”

Legolas stared at Pippin for another moment, feeling as if he had to fight to get the words out. “Not for much longer. No matter the consequences. We have to tell the others.”

“I know. I only want more time to think about what I’m going to say. I don’t really understand what the voices mean, after all.”  

Legolas marveled at the constant mood shifts Pippin displayed. He nodded reluctantly. “Agreed. However, no longer than two more days.”

Pippin resumed his covert scanning of the cave floor as soon as Legolas’s back was turned. He felt a disturbing pressure building up inside as the voices in his mind lamented along with him. The stones must all be reunited. The thought pressed on his mind more with each passing moment, prodding him, preying on his guilt. Pippin lingered behind as they approached the turn in the corridor and caught up to their companions. 

Boromir was leading the way to the front of the cavern and slung the string of fish off his shoulder as he headed towards Sam. Legolas glanced curiously at Pippin but continued on his way, concluding that Pippin was still upset when he spied Merry and was reminded of what had happened earlier.

Pippin watched the others retreat into the main cavern. He wasted no time and hurried back to inspect the area. He released a cry of delight as he bent to retrieve the smooth pebble from behind the rock. He puzzled over it for several moments when the stone remained the darkest of blue before shining with the iridescent colors Pippin had grown accustomed to seeing. He gave a sigh of relief and quickly stored it deep in his pocket. Aragorn called to him. Pippin looked around again quickly. Where was the other one? He searched as thoroughly as he could, glancing nervously at the opening into the outer cavern. Where was it? Pippin could linger no longer. He would return later. Trotting away, he tossed one last regretful look over his shoulder before joining the others.

 

***

The evening meal was tense. They were keenly aware of the storm outside their shelter; the fierce cold and howling winds mirrored the emotional storm gathering within the cave. The feud between the younger hobbits was unresolved; and the increasing anxiety it caused was palpable. The Company’s patience was wearing thin.

Gandalf eyed the surly cousins. He had assumed, wrongly it would seem, that the argument between Merry and Pippin had been resolved upon their return.  He had made it clear that there were to be no further outbursts. True, they were not verbally sparring. But they were not talking either, and the tension created by the continuous trading of glares and scowls would soon boil over into something more. He puzzled over Merry’s foul mood. It was unlike hobbits to hold a grudge, most especially these two who were normally such friends. He’d been told about the incident with the rock but it didn’t seem sufficient provocation to kindle the level of dismay that Merry was displaying. He could see that Frodo was being strongly affected by his cousins’ foolishness and it was time to end it. He cleared his throat at the same moment Aragorn spoke. Everyone looked up. 

Two faces bore their resignation at the scolding they saw coming. The wizard said nothing as he sat back to listen and Legolas schooled his features into a cool mask of neutrality. “I believe it would be in everyone’s best interest if the two of you would put an end to your nonsense.” Aragorn looked at each of them in turn. Merry glanced his way and then retrieved a stick and stirred the fire glumly, saying nothing. Pippin turned away.  

Frodo had been silent for some time. Now he spoke up. “Aragorn is right.  You need to make amends and put this behind you. It serves no purpose save to cause further hard feelings and tension.” Frodo looked around at the group. “For all of us.”

“And that is something we do not need. This situation is quite trying enough for everyone.” Aragorn nodded at Frodo. “At the very least show some consideration for your cousin. He does not need the two of you creating additional hardship.”

Merry poked harder at the fire with his stick while Pippin stared at the ground. Both remained stubbornly silent.

Frodo stood and beckoned to his cousins. “Come. Let us have a private discussion.”

Merry scrambled to his feet without hesitation. They waited while Pippin seemed to struggle with himself; rising at last, he trudged after his cousins.

“Well, it looks like this is going to be a family matter,” chuckled Gimli as he reached into his pack and withdrew his pipe.

“So it would seem,” mused Gandalf, watching the hobbits until they were out of sight.

The sound of raised voices was impossible to ignore. Boromir drew a long breath and released it rapidly as he busied himself with preparing his bedroll for the night. Gimli calmly puffed away on his pipe while the wizard prepared his own. Sam watched anxiously for the others to return. Gandalf rested his hand on Sam’s shoulder and spoke softly.

“Do not fear, Samwise. Frodo knows his cousins well. He will help them resolve their dispute.”

“If you say so, Mr Gandalf.” Sam peered into the gloom. “I wish I could do something to help.”

 Legolas rose to pace uneasily at the far side of the cave’s entrance.  Aragorn eyed him with curiosity, wondering the reason for Legolas’s disquiet. After all, it was not the first time on their journey that the hobbits had settled matters amongst themselves when a problem arose.

Frodo returned at last, his cousins in tow. Pippin’s expression was a mask of stone and he went straight to his bedroll and curled up in a ball with his back to the rest of them. Merry wavered, glancing around at the others as if he had something to say. The expression on his face seemed to waver between guilt and resentment. “I’m going to lie down,” he said at last. “Good night.” Murmurs of good night followed Merry as he turned away.

“Well, whatever you had to say lad, it appears to have done the trick.” The dwarf did not attempt to conceal his approval. 

Frodo eyed his kin. “Perhaps. I believe I will go to bed as well. I am feeling very sleepy all of a sudden.” He nodded at the others and took his place amongst the bedrolls. Sam moved to join them.

Gandalf leaned over to whisper to Aragorn. “Perhaps you should give him less next time. We would not want him to be truly difficult to awaken should the need arise to move swiftly.” Aragorn nodded.

Lying abed with his back to the others, Pippin fumed silently. He held the stones close to his heart, his eyes slowly growing heavy. The warmth of the stones comforted him and the low singing tones soon lulled him into a deep sleep.

Nearby, Merry had similar thoughts, his sentiment growing stronger and warring with his usual common sense. He was puzzled. True, he was angry at Pippin for his ridiculous display of temper and childish refusal to let it go.  But he had done the same and he did not understand why he had allowed Pippin’s actions to goad him into such rash behaviour. Frodo had probably been right to admonish them. But in his discomfiture he railed against what his older cousin had done. Pippin deserved to be put in his place twice as much as he did. Merry’s conscience would not be silenced, nevertheless his indignation felt justified. He dug into his pocket and caressed the smooth pebble. Its warmth comforted him. He withdrew it with a smile, placing it near his ear as he settled down to sleep, relaxing at last.

Boromir studied the hobbits thoughtfully as he stood the first watch. He paced back and forth in the small area as he considered the day’s events.  How long will we be trapped here, he wondered? The tension seemed to grow with each passing hour. He could feel it; it was like a living thing.

This place begged misgivings and suspicion from the staunchest of men. The darkness, the humid dampness coupled with the cold; even the stillness while his companions slumbered seemed ominous. True, there was beauty also: the mystifying patterns created by the ancient flowstone revealing where water had once run freely, the rare formations that Aragorn had called cave pearls, the small pools of water sheathed in basins of stone. Boromir considered the perfectly round rocks they had discovered in the shallow water of the stream. The gleaming stones looked something like the marbles that children played with. Created by years of agitation in the cave waters they formed perfect spheres and resembled pearls of varied colour. A few grew unusually large. At any other time he could have appreciated such wonders so much more.

Boromir’s thoughts wandered to Pippin’s actions while they were catching fish, recalling the little one’s delight in his discovery. He had most likely been admiring the cave pearls as the rest of them had.  He had probably found a big one. Pippin had certainly been excited. Boromir shook his head.  Too bad they would dissolve upon leaving the cavern’s atmosphere. A faint shuffling caused the Gondorian Captain to spin around, instantly alert. He saw nothing save the prone forms of his companions. As the pounding of his heart stilled Boromir began to pace once more, weapon clutched to his chest. 

He spun again, certain he had heard quiet whispering and quickly inspected his surroundings. Nothing was at hand, and no one stirred amongst his party. Boromir shivered. Was this similar to what Legolas experienced? Or am I simply going mad from the confinement here? Boromir strained his ears for another sound but none came. He peered into the darkness, tense and ready.  Several long minutes passed without any further disturbance. He was certain what he had heard was not in his imagination. He watched the Ringbearer, thoughts tumbling restlessly through his mind. The Ring. It had to be the Ring. He shivered again. It was affecting them all.

 

***

He was lost. He wandered up one long dark tunnel and then down another.  Always searching. Each twist and turn left him at yet another dead end. He was becoming so frustrated he was ready to scream out his anguish. It was so dark. He knew there was danger, sensed it with every part of his being.  He sought the light, feeling for it with every ounce of his will. But he could not move. He was paralyzed, unable to make known his needs or his terror.  Held down unmoving in this deep dark hole, never to behold the light of day again. The scream simply would not come no matter how hard he tried to give it voice. The Ring burned him with a white-hot fire.

 

The stones screamed, crying out in anguish, stressing their host repeatedly until he rose up out of his bed and walked away from safety. The voices held the attention of the one on guard until he had wandered deeper into the cavern. Another followed without his knowledge…

 

Pippin wandered. He gripped the remaining stones while his mind rambled.  Where was the missing spirit? He continued on his way, unsure where to search, what to do, where to go. The voices rose, clamoring, demanding, urging him on. He was helpless to do anything but follow their lead.

 

***

The morning dawned slowly as it was wont to do in this dismal place. Gray and mournful with a blanket of white permeating the entrance anew. Frodo sat up slowly and stretched. He eyed the Dwarf who now watched over them from the cavern’s entrance and then felt the same prickle of unease he had when he’d awakened and found Pippin staring at him in his sleep. Once again something was not as it seemed. He twisted around to look at the others—

“Merry!  Pippin!”  Frodo leaped to his feet and was immediately pulled back with a thump by the leather tie attaching him to Sam. He tried to snap the accursed thing. This was simply too tiresome and he would not tolerate it any longer! The harder he struggled the tighter the knot became. Frodo was ready to scream out his anguish.

“Ummph! What? What’s the matter, Mr Frodo?” Sam came instantly awake and bolted upright. “What’s happening?”

“Sam, they’re gone!”  Frodo continued to wrestle with the binding.

“Perhaps they just went to answer the call of nature?” Aragorn said, and headed into the far cavern.

“Then why did I not notice them leaving, Aragorn?” Gimli was unconvinced. He trotted in their direction. There was simply no way the hobbits could have got past him by the usual means. He would have seen them.

Aragorn returned and grabbed his sword. Frodo followed. “Stay here,” Aragorn told him.

“No!” Frodo and Sam both mounted a rigorous protest to the notion of being left behind.

“Aragorn, I must help search for them! Sam will stay here with Gandalf.”

“No Mr Frodo! You shan’t be leaving me behind! I’m going too!”

“This argument is only delaying our search. Please remain here. We do not need more people getting lost!”

Frodo paced frantically about the immediate vicinity, struggling in vain to beat down his escalating panic. Finally he whirled on the wizard.

“We must do something Gandalf! They cannot leave us behind like this!”

Gandalf sought to calm him to no avail. 

Sam crept closer and tried to offer comfort to his friend.  “T’will be all right, Mr Frodo. Strider will find them,” he reassured.

Frodo released a moan of despair that sent shivers down Sam’s back.

 

***

After hours of searching Aragorn and the others stood at the edge of the chasm Legolas had encountered during their earlier exploration. No trace of Pippin or Merry had yet been found. They had searched their immediate surroundings and ended up at the crevasse, staring grimly into the never-ending tunnel of darkness. The light from their torches was of little help. Aragorn shared a grim look with his companions. He did not want to face Frodo and tell him they had not located his kin.

“Aragorn, surely you do not think they may have fallen into this chasm?”  Boromir spoke quietly, his horror at the thought hidden carefully behind his controlled voice.

“I do not believe they could have gone any further away. We searched miles of corridors. We must return to camp for more supplies and explore this area further.”

“Aye, we’ll not give up!” The Dwarf sounded fierce in his conviction.

“Of course not,” Boromir murmured. “Should not two of us wait here, in case we should see or hear anything from below, while you return to camp for the supplies?”

“An excellent idea. Legolas and I will return and inform the others of our plan. We will be back shortly.”

Legolas followed him out of the narrow corridor. A moment before they reached the campsite he stopped. “Aragorn. There is something I must tell you.”

Aragorn paused. “Can this not wait awhile longer?”

Legolas shook his head sadly. “Nay, I have already waited too long.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List