Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Quest  by cathleen

Quest

Chapter Ten

 

“She Watches”

 

She waited impatiently in the gloom. He drew close at long last. He still resisted but it would make no difference. She was almost whole again! Her delight caused the waters of the Rimstone pool to heave and sway much like the ocean current so many ages ago when this shell had rested on the deck of the Elven ship. Thepalantír darkened to pure black as she recalled the curiosity of the voyagers. Annoying, prodding, chattering beings, all overly interested in it, all wishing to gain a closer view of it. The water settled as she contemplated and the sphere took on an azure tinge. Fools. All of them. Nothing could stop her now. They needn’t try. She would see to their ruin. Right after she collected the final pieces. Particularly the largest stone her puppet gripped so tightly as if sensing its importance. For it was the final key to her freedom. Perhaps she would keep the tiny being, it might prove useful again. Or it might make a good pet. Maniacal laughter erupted from the depths of the pool and the ground around it shook. Far away a howl echoed down the cavern’s tunnels and the great sphere seemed to quiver with her glee. The little one was about to arrive.   

***

Frodo dangled; his hold on the rock shelf was precarious at best. Below him, he could make out soft breaths as Legolas also struggled to maintain a grip on the rocks. Their torch had fallen to the bottom; he could just make out the faint glow. That meant there was still a long distance to go. Frodo feared it was too far.

“Frodo!” Sam cupped his hands to his mouth and stuck his head in the hole. 

His voice echoed strangely, reverberating off the cavern walls.

“I’m here Sam! I’m all right!”

“I am as well,” Legolas said.

“Can you make it back up?” Aragorn called to them. He knelt at the edge of the hole, careful not to come too close to where the loose rocks still rained down.

“No, it is too steep. I fear the only way to proceed is downward.” Legolas shifted his weight was he spoke, sending a shower of small rocks past them. He listened, trying to determine the distance to the bottom as they spattered to the floor of the cavern. They could make it, he was almost certain, although not without considerable scrapes and bruises. If fortune were on their side there would be no broken bones. Perhaps he could use his own body to cushion Frodo’s fall.

“Very well. Do what you must,” Aragorn said. He cast a worried glance over his shoulder at the others. Gandalf frowned. Boromir and Gimli traded uneasy looks.

Legolas spoke softly to his companion. “Frodo. We must attempt to ease ourselves down.”

“I know.” Frodo sounded weary, yet determined. His fingers ached with the effort of clinging to the rock ledge.

“I will go first. Then, try to lower yourself as far as you can using any handholds you can find. When there are no more, you must allow yourself to drop. I will try to lessen your fall if I can.” Legolas began his descent, cautiously picking his way down and sliding the rest of the way. He landed with a thud and sprang back to his feet. “I am unharmed,” he called. “Are you ready?”

Frodo didn’t think he would ever be ready to drop into that black hole, but called out, “Yes, I am coming.” He tried to follow carefully but in his weakened state he managed only a few more handholds before he, too, tumbled downward, landing with a muted thump on top of the Elf.

The others tensed at the sound of tumbling bodies and a shower of rocks, releasing their own exclamations of dismay as a cry of pain echoed from the dark hole.

“Mercy! Are you all right?” Sam called, scrambled towards the edge of the hole to peer into the gloom.

“Careful, Sam.” Aragorn gripped Sam’s arm and gently pulled him back. “We do not need to lose you as well.”

“We made it.” Frodo’s voice drifted from below and Sam breathed a sigh of relief.

“Yes, we have reached the ground and we are relatively sound,” Legolas told them. “We will attempt to rejoin you further along the way.”

“Very well,” Aragorn called, backing away from the crevasse with Sam.

Gandalf gripped Aragorn’s arm. “We must hurry and find an another entrance. Quickly! This way. I believe I may have found a possibility.”  

***

The wizard stooped low and gestured impatiently to his companions as he entered the small space. The path became easier as they descended at a steady pace into the dark passages. 

“Have a care! These rocks are incredibly sharp about the edges.” Boromir eased himself around a small outcropping that threatened to block their way.  He pointed ahead. “There are more like them, just inside this alcove.” He thrust his torch into the darkness and inspected the walls around them before proceeding.

“Aye, like a knife. Razor sharp, they are! I wouldn’t touch them if I were you, lad.” Gimli pressed himself against the wall in order to avoid the jagged edges. 

Sam nodded. “No need to be telling me that. I’ll surely not be putting my hands near them! I value my fingers.”

The dwarf chuckled. “Good lad. At least you know enough to listen to sound advice.”

“I’ve never seen anything quite like this and I’ve explored many a cavern.  They almost appear to have been fashioned this way deliberately.” Aragorn puzzled over the rock formations they passed, pausing every now and again to closely inspect their surroundings. 

“A defense of some sort?” Boromir spoke softly, running his fingers lightly over one of the smooth shelves of stone above the pointed rock. Gimli was right. They appeared as sharp as any sword. The sight moved him. He felt oddly reverent. He gazed up as they entered a larger chamber. Great glittering cliffs of mineral flowstone greeted them, reaching downward like giant beings with multiple arms. He felt as if they meant to scoop him up into their jagged fingers for some malicious purpose. The very existence of this place felt foreign, unreal, as though it ought to remain hidden from their eyes. They invaded a hallowed place. His sense of unease increased and he suspected it would grow as they travelled further in.

“Regardless, it is a very difficult place to make haste.” Boromir picked his way carefully around the next shelf of stone that jutted out and stooped to follow the wizard into a smaller corridor to the right.  “How do you know which direction to take, Gandalf?” He found the wizard’s lack of hesitation puzzling.

“I am following my nose, Boromir.”

“Ah,” the Gondorian muttered. “Of course.” He followed in silence for a few minutes before exclaiming, “Look, ahead of us! There is another of those great pools. Why, this place is rife with them.”

“Hmm, yes indeed it is.” Gandalf went to the side of the pool and inspected it. He dipped his long fingers into the still water and swirled them about before pointing with his staff.  “This way.” They continued along the same narrow path.

“Why not pass through the larger chamber instead? Would that not make a faster passage?” Boromir gestured behind them. “Not to mention a safer one?”

“No, it would not. Trust me please!” Gandalf’s tone was unusually brusque.

“Pardon me. I was only seeking to help.”

Gandalf waved a hand dismissively. “Yes, yes. Come along now!”

Boromir, feeling properly scolded, darted a look at the amused dwarf before heaving an impatient sigh and following.

“It is this way! Hurry.” Aragorn’s voice carried to them from a distant opening.

Without warning the ground shook beneath their feet throwing them off balance and toppling Sam to his knees.  “What was that?” Sam climbed to his feet unsteadily.

“Earthquake?” Boromir suggested.

“Maybe. . .” Gimli leaned down, peering into the tunnel ahead of them.

“Or something else entirely,” Gandalf muttered. The atmosphere had taken on an even more unwelcoming tone. There was something else here, he was certain of it. He was relieved to spy Aragorn headed towards them. A screech from afar riveted their attention on the path ahead. Aragorn bolted in that direction.

“What was that?”  Sam cried.

“Aragorn!  I would be on your guard for more of these treacherous rocks,” the wizard shouted, easing hastily around another portion of the jagged menace. But the Ranger was already out of sight. Gandalf muttered a mild oath and followed as quickly as he dared.  “One might plow one’s fool self into them and suffer a rather unpleasant demise with scarce the warning.”

Boromir darted a look of surprise at Gandalf’s retreating back.  It was the first time he had ever heard the wizard utter an oath of any kind and despite their dire circumstances it gave him pause. “Not to mention the great many other ways one might suffer a similar fate in this place. Such as the sudden drop offs into the lower caverns and a multitude of other dangers.” The warrior was continuously amazed by Aragorn’s willingness to do the opposite of what he warned everyone else against. He pulled Sam to his side as they hurried along behind Gandalf. “Regardless of what the Ranger is doing I encourage you to be extra cautious. Agreed?”

“Aye,” Sam puffed as he did his best to keep up. “There’ll be no argument from me in that matter. Boromir, what was that noise?”

“I am not certain. Come, follow me and keep close.”

Sam stayed on the man’s heels as directed. He shivered in the damp air certain beyond a doubt he did not wish to be lost in this forsaken place. He fretted while he stumbled along.

Gimli was close behind them. The dwarf skittered around a deep hole he spied just in time. He released a shaky breath. “Now that would’ve been a considerable tumble!” 

They could hear Aragorn shouting to them from far away. Gandalf cupped his hands to his mouth and called to him. “Aragorn! You must allow the rest of us a moment to join you. Wait where you are!” Faintly they heard his reply in the negative as he continued to move away from them. Gandalf stepped up his pace. “One would think he might at least follow his own advice.”

Aragorn squeezed into a grotto-like enclosure that appeared at first to be a dead end. He searched the area carefully, feeling the walls and the floor with anxious hands, unwilling to believe he had been drawn in the wrong direction so strong was the certainty he was on the right path. Finally he reached up and felt along the upper shelf of rock and a slow smile lit his face. There was indeed another opening although it was obscured in the blackness. He grabbed hold of the edge of the smooth stone and lifted himself up poking his head into the big hole. A blast of cool air greeted him as his torch flickered. 

“This way,” he shouted over his shoulder before climbing the rest of the way up and disappearing into the gap. It was big enough to afford a grown man passage but little else. The way was close and not conducive to a great deal of free movement.  It was fortunate the air inside was not stale, but allowed a fresh breeze to circulate through. Aragorn wondered if somewhere within this tunnel lay an opening to the outside world. Regardless, the narrow space would be unwelcome to anyone suffering from a dread of closed places. He took several deep breaths and started on his way. He winced as sharp little stones chewed relentlessly at his knees and hands but pushed the pain to the back of his mind and pressed on. Far behind him he could hear the faint sounds of the others as they caught up with him at last.  Reassured, he picked up his pace.

“Come, it is this way.”  Gandalf led them into the tiny antechamber and paused. His companions joined him swiftly and turned about in confusion as they became aware of the dead end.

“Now what?” Boromir whirled about twice his eyes narrowing in irritation.

“Why, ‘tis a solid wall of rock, it is!” Sam stood back and surveyed the area, hands on hips.

“Nay, ‘tis a false ending,” Gimli reassured him. “Not at all uncommon in caverns. Come, let us begin searching the stone for the opening.”  Gimli immediately sank to his knees and felt around the perimeter of the colourful flowstone curtain.

Boromir watched him for a moment and then joined Gandalf, who was already inspecting the upper regions of the wall. Sam followed suit and squatted next to the dwarf to help. Gandalf circled the tiny room hoisting his torch high above his head as he searched. The flame began to flicker and he and he experimented with holding it away from the wall until it stilled. He moved it close again and was rewarded by a wavering flame on the end of the torch.  He gestured. “Here! There is air coming through a hole up there. High up in that corner.” 

Boromir placed his hand where the wizard indicated and nodded. “Yes, so there is.” He studied the wall below. “There must be a fairly easy way to scale it. Aragorn appears to have accomplished it.”

Gimli clambered up the barrier and climbed into the opening. Pointing his torch directly into the narrow tunnel he inspected it thoughtfully before beckoning to his companions. “Come. It’s solid enough, although there is scarcely any room to move about.” 

“Or to draw a decent breath, to all appearances,” Boromir grumbled.

“At the very least it appears we are beyond those sharp protruding rocks at last.” Gandalf eased himself into the tunnel behind the dwarf.

“Well then, we can indeed be thankful for the smallest of favours.”  Boromir said.

“Make haste! Aragorn is far ahead of us by now.” With that, the wizard disappeared into the tunnel.

“After you, Samwise.” Boromir lifted Sam up and deposited him into the hole. 

“Oww! What the plague? That smarts, it does!”

“Whatever is wrong, Master Samwise?” Gimli called back to him.

“Blasted little pointed stones there are! All over the bottom of this tunnel.”

“Have a care,” Gandalf called back. 

“Aye, there’s naught to be done for it I expect,” Sam agreed and bravely crawled after the wizard. Boromir drew a deep breath and followed.

Aragorn emerged from the long passage and lowered himself to the floor of another chamber. Reaching for his torch he swept it about in a wide arc inspecting the immediate area, and then swayed back and forth when a sudden tremble shook the earth beneath his feet. Flailing his arms about he caught hold of an outcropping to steady him while the ground continued to shake. Aragorn cried out in surprise when the sharp rock pierced his skin.

Inspecting the palm of his hand he found it bloody. Aragorn peered at the object that did the damage and raised his brow in astonishment as his gaze trailed upward. The same kind of sharply fashioned spears they had encountered earlier covered the walls and jutted out, nearly obscuring the passageway into the far chambers. Another tunnel led in the opposite direction and he felt the cool air rushing in to meet his clammy skin.  Aragorn drew a deep breath in appreciation of the fresh air. He swiped a grimy hand across his brow. The ground shook again and he held his

breath until the rumbling stopped.  If the cavern walls began collapsing they would be trapped here permanently. He heard the others approaching and called out. “Make haste! There is another passage nearby, but I fear our path lies in this direction.” He indicated the half blocked corridor to his right.  “At least the ground has ceased to shake.”

A grunt echoed from the tunnel and a moment later the squat dwarf’s face emerged, the rest of his bulk following as he tumbled out of the hole. 

“Aye, so it has.” Gimli joined Aragorn and swept his light along the far wall, raising his brow. “The way is filled with the same sharp stone.” He stared at the sight in wonder. “Why, I’ve never seen the like of it! And I’ve spent my whole life exploring underground chambers.” He touched one of the odd rocks almost reverently.

Aragorn was absorbed in his inspection of the walls in the small chamber. “I hear water flowing nearby.” He tilted his head, listening closely.  “A great deal of it.”

Gandalf eased himself out of the tunnel next, with Samwise in tow. “Rushing water you say? Possibly a large river then.”

“And a large waterfall as well,” Aragorn said.  “It is striking the rocks below with great vigour.”

As soon as he straightened, Sam immediately began plucking the gravelly stone from his bleeding palms, grimacing as he dug a particularly offensive one from the base of his little finger.  “Speakin’ of sharp stones, I’ve had my fill of them I have, especially if I need to be crawling around in a right nasty long burrow that’s fair overflowing with them.”

Behind them, Boromir made a more graceful entrance, unfolding his long legs and dropping into the chamber easily.

“These are not natural formations,” Gandalf appraised as he too ran his torch along the span of wall.

“Nay, they are far too uniform to be created by nature. It is obvious they were not randomly placed.” Boromir said as he joined them, brushing his hands on the legs of his breeches. He frowned.  “Nor do I believe all those wretched little pieces of gravel came to be in that tunnel on their own.”

“Perhaps not, but they may at least be explained by the presence of water flowing through the passage at one time,” the wizard said. He knelt and poked his torch through to the next chamber following with his head and shoulders. His voice sounded muffled when he called back to them. “We cannot proceed this way.” Gandalf eased his way out and glanced wearily about.

“No? What bars our passage?” Aragorn knelt and stuck his head through the opening. He snorted in disgust and backed out.  “It seems you are quite right.”

“What’s wrong? Surely we can all manage to weave our way through there. It’s not that small once we make it past all these twisted barricades.” The dwarf squatted and stuck his head into the gaping hole. He sucked in air.  “Well now, I can honestly say I have never seen the like of this either!”  Gimli scrambled to his feet shaking his head in dismay just as the ground trembled once more. He grabbed hold of a stalagmite in order to keep his feet.

“Why is the ground shaking so much?” Sam darted a look around, his unease contagious as the rest of them did the same.

Aragorn was already at the opposite wall inspecting the opening. “There is fresh air here,” he gestured for them to follow then ducked into the passage.

“It may be only a quake, Sam,” Boromir tried to sound reassuring.  “A trembling of the earth.”

“Well, why haven’t we felt it before today? I have to say I’m not finding it very comforting, coming at this particular time.” He sighed.  “Poor Bill.  I hope he’s all right. I wish we hadn’t had to leave him behind.”

The man squeezed Sam’s shoulder. “Bill will be fine, Sam. He is a very intelligent animal. Come, let us follow the others, yes?”

“Yes indeed, let us get to getting! Hurry it up now.”  Gimli said before heading after and the wizard. No one was anxious to be left behind.

“What was blocking our way?” Boromir called to the dwarf.

Gimli turned, eyes wide. “Why, a great expanse of the cavern floor beneath the tunnel has been covered with many thousands of those sharp pointed rocks! If we tried to lower ourselves there t’would be like landing on a great bed of nails! We’d be skewered like pigs on a spit.”

Sam stared up at his companions in horror. Before he could speak Gandalf intoned, “No Samwise. They did not come this way. Of that I am certain.”

Sam sighed shakily.  “If you say so, Mr. Gandalf sir.”

“Come then, keep up, my lads.”

Boromir stepped up his pace, nudging Sam along in front of him.  

***

Frodo and Legolas inched their way through the small passageway into a larger chamber. Somewhere nearby, water flowed and they tracked the sound until they came upon a delicate waterfall trickling through the rocks.

Frodo bent, grateful for the cool water, and splashed some of it on his face, then took a long drink from the stream higher above his head. He paused, lightheaded as he arose from his knees, and wavered for a moment. The Elf laid a gentle hand upon his shoulder.

“We must keep moving,” Frodo said, his voice raspy from the thick air and rock dust. He’d not let on to anyone he still felt poorly. Frodo peered into the darkness ahead, desperate to choose the correct path. He exchanged a look with Legolas. The Elf gave a nod of agreement and Frodo, allowing his instincts to guide him, chose the corridor to their left.

After a lengthy trudge they emerged from the long corridor at last. Frodo wiped the damp chill from his brow with the sleeve of his shirt and paused to take in his surroundings. As he turned his head swam with dizziness and he wavered. Legolas reached out to steady him. “Are you well?”

Frodo took a deep breath and exhaled quickly. He nodded, again swiping at his forehead with his sleeve before continuing on the way. The air felt as still as the grave, the light from his torch flickered unevenly causing bizarre patterns to form on the walls beside him. His sense of unease increased with each step. Something prickled at the back of his neck and he swatted at the air nervously, startling when he heard an eerie echoing sound farther down the corridor. He paused, heart pounding in his ears. It sounded like a voice and yet somehow it was not. Frodo touched his ear lightly, unsure if he could trust his senses. It almost seemed that. . .impossible. . .the sound felt as if it came from inside his head. He leaned toward the dark tunnel listening intently, half expecting to see some horrible spectre burst forth from the shadows.

Legolas also paused, watching the Ringbearer closely; Frodo’s tension pressed on him like a second skin, intimately enveloping him, causing Legolas to gasp for breath in surprised alarm. The voice, so imperceptible at first he was certain he imagined it, crept into his mind. Its caress was at the same time soothing and dreadful. Another trick of the palantír’s host? He seemed to recognise it. Legolas gazed into the dimness, his eyes unfocused as he listened intently to. . .what was it? Not words, nor a melody. A voice, yes, but one like no other. Familiar, and yet not.

Frodo tilted his head in wonder, feeling suddenly as if he were eavesdropping on a conversation. Familiar voices. Pippin? Merry? He squinted hard into the dark. Yes. . .it was. But how was this possible? One voice gradually emerged as stronger than the first and seemed closer, yet continued to move away. It was Merry. He was certain now. Frodo strained his ears until the very act of listening was painful. At last he quirked the corner of his mouth in a little smile. He detected his youngest cousin’s presence at last. His relief was short lived. Pippin was in pain, but it was a different kind of distress than the waves ofphysical woe he felt from Merry. This pain was disturbing and exceedingly strong. Frodo teetered and almost fell as it crashed into him like a great wave and he absorbed his cousin’s anguish. Pippin’s torment was tremendous; of this he had no doubt. He shook himself out of his mesmerized state, his mind clearing. He glanced at Legolas and with a nod, his pace quickened with purpose.

“It’s Merry,” Frodo said as he pushed ahead. “I can hear him.” Frodo touched his temple. “I know it sounds hard to believe, but I can hear him inside my head. I hear Pippin also, but Merry’s voice is stronger. I’m not certain why. I would have hoped they were together.”

“Yes. I hear Merry as well. Perhaps he is close by. I do not, however, perceive Pippin.” Legolas paused before adding, “And there is something else here.” Frodo tensed, but kept walking, picking his way carefully through the uneven terrain. He could sense the ‘something else’ Legolas spoke of even more strongly than his cousins’ voices. He knew it also watched them.  

***

“Look!” 

“What is it Sam?” Boromir strained his eyes in the direction the hobbit pointed but detected nothing. Sam sprinted ahead, impatient to inspect the light he was certain he’d glimpsed.

“Samwise!”

Sam halted and turned his head. He hopped restlessly from foot to foot and Boromir hid a smile thinking how much it reminded him of Pippin’s antics. His smile faded as he was reminded of the grave danger the hobbits were in.

“I saw something Mr. Gandalf! I know I did, I’m certain of it!”

“Of that I have no doubt, young sir,” the wizard reached him and placed an arm around his shoulders. “For I also saw the flickering light.” He smiled gently at the hobbit. “However, we must still proceed with care.””

“Gandalf? I saw no light ahead,” Boromir shook his head, bewildered.

Gimli shook his head. “Nor did I.”

“Gandalf and Sam are quite right. There was a faint glimmer that was visible for only a moment,” Aragorn said over his shoulder. He had quickened his pace and was already a fair distance away.

The wizard sighed in irritation and picked up his own pace.  “Sam, please watch your step. Boromir, do look after him!  We must hurry before Aragorn winds up far ahead of us once more.” 

They trotted along as fast as possible for the conditions with Gandalf muttering to himself every now and again, the flame from their torches casting eerie shadows on the cavern walls.  

***

The world had changed. His eyes seemed to look through a dark glass.  Everything was blurry, faded. What was real? Was he? Was he alive?  Where was he? Who was he? He was one; a single hobbit now rather than a tangled cluster of raw minds all clamoring for attention. He wandered in a dark void that seemed endless, still clutching the small Stones to his breast, seeking. . .always seeking. . .what was happening to him? He could not remember. He felt his cousin’s presence. Merry was real, he was here. Of this he was convinced. But it was the only thing he was certain of.  Everything else was dim, a blur in time. He wanted to cry out but when he opened his mouth no sound came forth. He stumbled forth, searching, but for what he did not know. He spied a faraway glow that was not quite a light and headed towards it.  

***

Where was Pippin? He had lost him again! Merry knew he was here in the dark with him, but where? He turned in a circle but saw nothing but varying shades of gray. The walls ahead glowed eerily. Merry strained to see in the gloom. Even with the aid of his torch he could not tell what lay ahead. More of the glittering stone? Wearily he pressed on, his injured leg screaming for reprieve. He pushed the pain into the farthest corner of his mind and continued stumbling through the narrow corridors. The torment suffered by his cousin entered his awareness like water seeping into a sinking boat and his anger increased with every step. He allowed it to strengthen his resolve; embracing his outrage like a shield he staggered forward, bearing it before him.

The darkness had become a living thing, matching the shadow growing in his heart. He inhaled the scent of his own fear, reached out to touch the flickering, odd lights. The cavern came alive with the sound of queer mad laughter. Merry shrank back; something terrible was near. Then, a caress, icy and wet, chilled him, its claw lashing open his cheek, leaving it raw and bleeding. The dank air flowed into his bones and froze him into a solid wall of ice, stifling his cry. The strange light playing about at the far end of the corridor grew stronger as something whispered his name. Icy tendrils of stone reached out to play across his forehead and trickle down his cheek; the voice came again, taunting, scornful, daring him to come forward.

A sudden ear-piercing shriek struck him like a wave. Finding his legs at last, he bolted into the next chamber and tumbled, the short drop taking him by surprise. As he picked himself up from the ground his eyes lit on a sight that chilled him to the core.

***

Frodo and Legolas paused, listening intently. The sheer stillness of this place was unnerving. Frodo tilted his head, certain he had detected footsteps ahead echoing in the dark corridor. They shared a look and the Elf gave a slight nod of his head. He had heard it too.

The great hush seemed overpowering and the longer he listened the more the silence grew, finally enveloping him in a smothering blanket of damp chill, bearing down upon him like a huge wave from the ocean until its oppression became unbearable and he had to move lest he lose his mind. Even though he knew Legolas was by his side, it felt as though he was a great distance off. Frodo shook himself from his reverie and forced his limbs into motion once more. This place fostered a sense of hopelessness, of abandonment too disturbing for him to consider. But he could not allow himself to give in to the despair that threatened his every step. Carrying the Ring was not as harrowing now, as walking in this dread place.

Legolas stood for an instant, as though entranced, and then he forced his reluctant limbs to move, to follow the Ringbearer he was sworn to protect.

 

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List