Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Colours of the Forest  by Avon

AN:

Sindarin words taken from either The Complete Tolkien Companion by J E A Tyler or Hiswelókë's Sindarin Dictionary project. Spelling mistakes will be all mine though ;-)

The 'poem' is adapted from one I wrote for my class to perform a couple of years ago.

Gillaer is meant to mean 'golden summer' in Sindarin.

Mallos - golden flower
Niphredil - snowdrop
Fileg - small bird but I'm using it here as small brown bird as a tribute to our Fileg and her husband - shame he hasn't any available younger brothers ;-)
Heledir - kingfisher
Seregon - Blood of Stone', a plant with deep red flowers

***********************************

What's happening? Well, that's up to you - consider it choose-your-own-terror ;-)   If you want to know what I think may have been happening then read on....

I don't have a definite answer.  I deliberately wrote it with my mind in two places because I wanted that uncertainty. I think I lean towards domestic violence but if you are a Thranduil fan or believe that Elves probably wouldn't do that (and I think I fit into both camps so go figure) then maybe it's an Orc attack somewhere in Mirkwood - the boys may even be listening to the death of their mother. The domestic violence scenario gave me the original inspiration but I didn't write it until I could, in my head at least, place it elsewhere.  People have come up with all sorts of ideas and I'd love to hear yours.

Thanks to all those people who have given me feedback and been so encouraging; it's much appreciated. As always feedback/suggestions/criticism is very welcome.

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List