Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Falling Leaves  by Linda Hoyland

Title – Harbinger

Author: Linda Hoyland
Characters/Pairing: Aragorn

Rating: G
Warnings: none
Book/Source: LOTR book-verse

Disclaimer: The characters are the property of the Tolkien estate. This drabble is written for pleasure, not profit.

With thanks to Raksha.

Of all the wonders that Minas Tirith had to offer, this was the one he most wanted to see. It stood beside a fair fountain and was more closely guarded than even the Steward himself by wing-helmed guards.

Thorongil had heard of this scion of Nimloth from those who had beheld the tree's venerable ancestors. This withered symbol was all that remained in Gondor of Elendil's glory?

He drew near and felt like weeping before the long dead tree, the branches bleached like bones

Thorongil turned away, trying to envision it renewed. Could sap ever flow again through these dry branches? It seemed impossible, as impossible as his love for Arwen.

And yet…had not Beren returned from the Halls of Mandos? Had not the line of Isildur survived against all the odds? Maybe somewhere in Arda's vast reaches, some shoot or seed of the White Tree lived too?

He closed his eyes and suddenly he envisioned a living tree covered in blossoms, which he stood beneath with his lady. Upon his head was the Winged Crown of Gondor.

Was this the foresight, or but a dream? There was always hope.

The White Tree might be dead, but Elendil's heir lived!

A/N Written for the Tolkien Weekly Prompt "White Tree".





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List