Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Let me be the one  by LOTRFaith

Blind

The first thing that Legolas was aware of was a rocking motion. His stomach rebelled at the motion. Then he heard voices.

The voices were muted. And as much as the golden haired prince tried, he couldn't seem understand the words. His head pounded in agony, he couldn't see and he was trapped in something, what he didn't know. To say that the Prince of Mirkwood was not happy would be little less than a huge understatement.

"It wasn't my fault Elladan."

Legolas could finally hear someone's voice. It was Aragorn. Of that he was completely sure.

"After you and Legolas met." There was a pause. "I have never seen so many various injuries on one single person in my entire life!"

Laughter greeted the sally.

"And." The person continued. "I have never witnessed a conduct of a prince before, but Legolas sure takes that cake!"

Aragorn snorted. "You better be glad Legolas is still unconscious or else he'd pound you into a bloody pulp."

More laughter. Legolas wondered just how many elves had once more come to his rescue.

"I bet he couldn't tell the difference between Elrohir and I anyway." Elladan laughed.

Legolas cleared his throat surprising everyone. "Just because I can't see at the moment doesn't mean that I can't tell the difference between two troublesome twins."

Someone snickered, that was followed by a smack, and an "Ow! What was that for?"

"Shut up Aragorn!"

That was Elladan, Legolas guessed silently. He nearly groaned aloud as a wave of nausea flooded over him. The rocking motion stopped.

"Legolas? Are you alright?" Elladan questioned as he quickly slid off of his horse and over to the prince. Bregolas, a Mirkwood warrior had made a sort of travois out of wood and leaves and had gently set the still unconscious prince in the improvised bed.

Elladan's questioned was answered when the prince weakly grabbed the side of the travois and proceeded to be violently sick. Elladan quickly pulled Legolas' blonde hair back and soothing rubbed his back. He looked up as the Mirkwood warriors formed a protective circle around them. They could ill afford to stop, Elladan realized with a sinking feeling. The warriors would protect their prince even if all of them had to die, but Elladan didn't want that to happen.

"Legolas?" He questioned softly.

With a groan, the prince hauled the upper part of his body back on the travois. He was obviously used to the way that he was being transported back to the palace.

He reached a shaking hand up to touch the bandage. Elladan promptly slapped it away.

"Why can't I see anything?" Legolas whispered.

Elladan exchanged a quick glance with his brother. "It's only temporary." Elladan said soothingly, praying the temporary was really temporary.

He was answered with another groan. "Where is Aragorn?"

"I'm here."

Legolas jumped at the voice, which happened to be right next to his elbow.

Bregolas turned his eyes away, unable to watch the prince that had never been so helpless before.

"Are you well?" Legolas asked his voice was still weak as he fought down the nausea.

"I am fine." Aragorn replied.

"Is he?" Legolas turned to where he thought Elladan was. He jumped again when Elladan's voice came from the other side of travois.

"He is." Elladan turned slightly getting several herbs and putting them into a canteen of water. "Drink this." He ordered.

He watched worried as Legolas did as he bade. To readily accept anything from him.. Elladan shook his head pushing his thoughts back, he would ponder them later, but right now they had no time to spare. They watched quietly as the prince once more drifted back to unconsciousness.

Elladan met his twin's gaze. They had to hurry or else the prince could indeed forever be blind.

*~*~*~*

To say that life with more than one child was interesting was a slight understanding, with six children; Thranduil found that he had to make sure that he gave no child to much attention or to less. His oldest children helped take care of the youngest and in doing so Legolas though not spoiled was used to attention.

Thranduil rolled his eyes. Legolas. His youngest, most complicated child. Serious one moment, laughing the next. He sighed, rubbing his forehead. How would his youngest react to being in the dark for several days? If not years?

He gently picked up Legolas' limp hand. They had arrived just a few hours ago. Elladan, Elrohir and the palace healers and barred the door and wouldn't let anyone in for those hours.

Legolas stirred slightly.

"Legolas?" Thranduil put a tender hand on his son's cheek.

Legolas moaned. "Ada?" He whispered.

"Shhhh, I'm here nin ion."

Legolas tried to smile, but failed miserably. "Ada?"

Thranduil choked back his tears at the pain in his son's voice. "Yes Legolas?"

"I'm scared."

The simple admission was enough for Thranduil to forget any commands that Legolas should not be moved; he swept his son in his arms, pressing Legolas' face into his shoulder.

"Everything will be just fine Legolas." Thranduil gently said, praying that he was right.

"Ada?" Legolas was falling asleep, but wanted just one thing.

"Yes?"

"Sing to me?"

And so, with his youngest in his lap, Thranduil sang.

*~*~*~*~*

Elladan sighed. He was tired, too tired. He had pushed himself further than he really should have, but had he not. He shook away the morbid thought.

"Elladan?" Aragorn's quiet voice opened his eyes.

"Yes Estel?"

"Is he really going to be ok?"

Elladan closed his eyes again, taking a deep breath. "I honestly don't know Estel." He whispered.

There were several minutes of quiet.

"What if he is blind for the rest of his life?" Aragorn questioned, mainly to himself.

Elladan instantly opened his eyes, stood up, grasped the ranger's shoulders and looked into his eyes. "Never give up Estel. Never." He pressed his forehead to his little brothers. "There is always hope Aragorn." He said solemnly, saying Aragorn's true name to let him know of his complete seriousness.

Aragorn nodded, swallowing hard.

"Elladan?" Elrohir spoke from the doorway.

"Yes Elrohir?"

"You should get some rest brother."

Elladan laughed softly. "I will."

Aragorn pushed himself off the bed. "I am going to see how Legolas is doing." He said quietly as he walked toward the door.

"Aragorn."

He turned at Elladan's call.

"Remember." Elladan smiled. "There is always hope."

Aragorn smiled in return, the words permanently etched in his mind and more importantly, his heart.

He thought over the words as he slowly walked towards Legolas' room. 'There is always hope.'

Hope. Estel. The same words in different languages. They meant the same thing. One was a word, the other was his name. Estel. Hope.

He remembered what his ada had said when he asked about his name."

"The time of the elves are fading and soon men will shape Middle Earth." Elrond had said solemnly. "And for that." He smiled. "You are our hope for the race of men."

Aragorn quietly opened Legolas' door. Thranduil was putting Legolas back on the bed. Aragorn halted, not wanting to disturb the king. He was surprised when the elven king faced him.

"You will watch him?"

Surprised at the question, Aragorn could only nod in response.

"Get me if he wakens." It was an order, not a request. Aragorn nodded again and silently watched as Thranduil walked out of the room.

He sat down next to Legolas' bed and stared at his friend.

"Legolas?"

"What?" Legolas mumbled.

Aragorn jerked back, surprised. He thought Legolas had been asleep.

"How do you feel?"

Legolas sighed and began pushing himself up to a sitting position.

"You shouldn't do that." Aragorn said in a matter of fact voice.

Legolas ignored him and continued to push himself up until with a sigh of frustration; Aragorn helped him into a sitting position.

"What is it Strider?" Legolas asked his hand searching for his friend's.

Aragorn let his hand be found by the other one and silently watched as Legolas took a hold of the ring Barahir and gently pulled it off, feeling it with his slender fingers. "Strange to think someday you will be king and I will still be a prince."

"Well I won't be king for a while, Legolas so don't worry, I won't order you to do anything." Aragorn replied a smile pulling at his lips.

Legolas laughed. "I doubt very much that you could order me to do anything and I'd do it."

Aragorn laughed. "I bet I could find something."

"I hope I'm there." Legolas sighed.

Aragorn was caught off guard. "Where?"

Legolas held out Aragorn's ring. "When you are crowned king." He said simply. "I hope I'm there."

Aragorn snorted. "Why do you want to be? And who says I'll let you be there."

Legolas smiled "So I can tell everyone how I saved your life and you are forever indebted to me."

Aragorn leaned back in his chair laughing.

Legolas continued. "Because we are usually together when something important," He grinned wryly "or bad happens so," He shrugged. "I bet I'll be there wither you want me to or not."

"You are impossible Legolas."

Legolas released a shaking breath. "I'm scared Aragorn."

Even with a bandage around Legolas' eyes, Aragorn could see the panic on his friends face.

"What if I won't ever be able to see again?" The thought terrified Legolas more than he cared to openly admit.

Aragorn took Legolas' shaking hand into his. "Hey. Hey." He soothed. "Elladan would have told me if he thought that you wouldn't be able to see. He hasn't told me a single thing."

"And I'm supposed to comforted by this?" Legolas asked to no one in particular.

Aragorn rolled his eyes.

"Aragorn." Legolas drew his attention again. "I have been thinking these past few days about what you said to me. About you being there for me when I need someone."

"Instead of pushing everything aside." Aragorn finished quietly, intently watching the prince.

Legolas smiled. "Yes, instead of pushing everything aside." He reached beside his bed to a small desk and opened the drawer taking out a small knife.

"What is that for?" Aragorn questioned his eyes on the gleaming knife.

"Though you are my closet friend, there are some things that I would only tell a brother." Legolas smiled, letting the implications fall on Aragorn.

"You mean you want to become blood brothers?" Aragorn questioned, slightly taken aback.

"Yes."

"How?" Aragorn asked looking doubtfully at the knife in his friend's grip.

"It's easy." Legolas grinned. "You just slit your wrist."

Aragorn choked. "What!"

Legolas took the knife and easily slit his wrist then handed the knife to Aragorn who followed the suit.

With his other hand Legolas tried to find Aragorn's cut wrist. He stopped when Aragorn gently took his slit wrist and put it against his.

"I, Legolas Thranduillion, Prince of Mirkwood, swear to protect you as my brother. Keep you from harm and always be there for you. I, Legolas Thranduillion, Prince of Mirkwood hold this vow in my heart and swear to hold to it until my last day on Middle Earth."

He nodded for Aragorn to speak.

Aragorn took a deep breath. "I, Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir to the throne of Gondor, swear to protect you as my brother. Keep you from harm and always be there for you. I, Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir to the throne of Gondor hold this vow in my hear and swear to hold to it until my last day on Middle Earth."

Legolas smiled as he nodded his approval. "Now." His tone was dry. "You might want to get a couple of bandages before we bleed to death."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List