Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Hawk and a Star  by Mirach

Rating: T

Disclaimer: The characters and places belong to Professor Tolkien.

Beta reader: Cairistiona


4. The sons of a star

"Ahoy ship!" Eönwë called, and Eärendil smiled. The Maia seemed to really enjoy the flight, and it was contagious.

Tilion waved back at them. "It's good to see you and Vingilot in one piece, Eärendil! And what are you doing here, Eönwë?"

"A deck-boy," the Chief of the Maiar grinned.

"Well, as you like..." Tilion smirked, but then grew serious. "The sky is quiet since yesterday. Be careful; I have a bad feeling about it."

Eönwë nodded. "We will."

But the entire journey over the Sea and Númenor was peaceful, and there was no trace of any bats or other dark creatures. When they reached the shores of Middle-earth, Eönwë looked eagerly over the rail. But the land he longed to see was veiled from their sight. Heavy clouds divided them from the ground, and it felt as if they were the only living things in a world of silence. Eönwë tore his eyes away from them with a sigh, and glanced back at Eärendil. He should have done so sooner, he immediately berated himself. Eärendil was pale, and looked very tired. Eönwë approached him. "Sit down for a while and let me take the helm..."

Eärendil gave him a long, surprised look. Eönwë realized this must be the first time anyone had offered this to the Mariner. Eärendil then hesitantly nodded. Eönwë had to wonder that he accepted so easily – it seemed he felt even worse than he showed on the outside. The Maia reached for the helm, but Eärendil shook his head, wincing slightly. He stayed at it for a while yet, and Eönwë noticed he was whispering something to the ship. Then he took the Maia's hand, and put it on the helm. For a moment, their hands were touching on the smooth wood of the white trees from Varda's and Yavanna's grove. When finally Eärendil withdrew his hand, Eönwë felt something entirely different than the last time he had guided the ship. Then it was a reluctant cooperation, but now – now it was acceptance.

Eärendil smiled at his astonished expression. "Maia or not, if you break something, you better run!"he threatened in jest, and then sat down and leaned on the rail with a relieved sigh.

Eönwë chuckled, and stroked the white wood. It was Eärendil's ship, and he felt honoured that Eärendil entrusted it to him. He glanced at the Mariner, and noticed that he was looking down over the rail, his eyes searching for something. Eönwë tried to estimate their position, more from the feeling than navigation. This was Middle-earth, and he knew how the land felt here, how it smelled... He shook his head, and concentrated. They should be near Gil-Galad's court, shouldn't they?

"Just clouds..." Eärendil sighed resignedly, and leaned back again.

Eönwë looked at him sympathetically. "You miss them, don't you?"

Eärendil looked up in surprise.

"I have met your sons..." Eönwë said quietly. He saw Eärendil tensing, his eyes almost pleading to hear about them, and so he continued.

"I brought them the choice of the Peredhil..."

The memory of the dark-haired twins was before his eyes as he spoke. They had the fair features of their father, and the dark hair of their mother. On the outside, they were almost impossible to tell apart if not for the different clothes they wore. But deeper, under the surface, Eönwë could see their differences clearly - and he knew he would bring them pain with the choice.

"Again they suffered because of me," Eärendil said bitterly.

"No, Eärendil!" Eönwë protested immediately. "The choice allowed them to become fully what they were in their hearts. And I feel it will shape the history of the world, when the time comes..."

Eönwë remembered another picture. The brothers were sitting on the shore close to each other, their foreheads touching, their faces wet with tears.

"Do you really wish to die?" Elrond asked desperately.

Elros firmly embraced him. "That is my path, brother... My fate lies with the Edain," he whispered.

"But why, Elros?" Elrond sobbed.

Elros sighed shakily. "I am a captain of the Edain, and they need me whole... just like Gil-Galad needs you." He paused. "When you look at the trees in autumn, what do you see, brother mine?"

Elrond looked at his twin. "The trees that will surpass the winter, and awake in a new spring..."

"And I see the beautiful colours of the leaves that will never live again," Elros said quietly. "I feel this is not my home, Elrond. And I'm looking forward to knowing that true home..."

"I love Arda," Elrond replied sadly. "It is my true home."

"I know..." Elros put his hand on his brother's shoulder.

"Will we ever meet again, brother?"

"I'm not dying yet," Elros smiled slightly, but then he sighed. "But after... I don't know... I hope that when this world ends, we will all meet again, and nothing parts us anymore."

"I will hope too," Elrond replied. "And if you or your descendants ever need help, I will be there for you."

Elros nodded solemnly. "Thank you, brother." Then he looked at the sky, and pointed at one star. "Do you see the star of our father? When we are far from each other, look at it, and know that I'm looking at it in some other part of the world – me, or my heirs." He smiled slightly. "Give him my greetings when you meet him."

"I will..." Elrond nodded, and embraced his brother firmly.

In that moment, Eönwë left them quietly, never acknowledging his presence.

Some time later, the brothers stood in his tent, their faces pale, but determined.

"I choose mortal life," Elros said firmly.

Elrond looked Eönwë into the eyes. "And I choose to be counted among the First-born."

"So be it." Eönwë's word affirmed their choice. "Your father would be proud..." he smiled at them then.

"They were so brave, Eärendil..." Eönwë finished his tale, looking at something Eärendil couldn't see. "They have taken the right choice."

Eärendil blinked away the tears in his eyes. "Thank you for telling me, Eönwë..."

Eönwë reached for his hand, and squeezed it reassuringly. "They are proud of you, too."

Eärendil leaned back and closed his eyes, letting the pictures of his sons as Eönwë had described them paint pictures of what could be behind his eyelids. Soon he fell asleep.

Eönwë smiled a little sadly, and let him sleep. He kept one eye on the sky. Everything was quiet, and now that he was left to guide the ship alone, the silence made him nervous. He couldn't get rid of the feeling that something was watching them, although nothing moved above the clouds. Despite his misgivings, the journey was peaceful, and when they were passing over the Sea, Eärendil woke and took the helm again, refreshed more by the news of his sons than by the short rest.

Near the shores of Valinor, a white seabird flew to greet them, the rising sun colouring her wings pink. Eönwë averted his eyes as Eärendil and Elwing kissed, because he knew it was considered polite among the Children. Despite their happiness he couldn't get rid of the bad feeling and in the next days he sailed with Eärendil as often as his duties allowed.

Yet nothing happened in the next weeks, and the sky was quiet and peaceful like in the days of Trees. No dark creatures were seen there since the attack of the bats, and after some time even Eönwë was beginning to believe that they would not return. But he sailed with Eärendil further, because he enjoyed the journeys and the Mariner's company – with every sailing, their friendship grew as they watched Middle-earth together, remembering how it felt to be there and have its soil beneath their feet.

But one night when he couldn't sail with Eärendil, he felt that uneasiness again, and as the morning neared, it grew even worse. Anxiously he looked out for the returning star. Finally it appeared on the horizon... He sighed with relief. Yet still something was not right. Eagerly he flew at Elwing's side to greet the ship – a gull and a hawk in the sunrise. But when they reached the ship, Eönwë's heart froze. The deck was empty...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List