Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Darkness Bound  by Fiondil

31: Findaráto in Valmar

The wedding guests from Tirion and Alqualondë remained in Vanyamar for another week. During that time, Ingwë held discussions with Olwë and Ñolofinwë behind closed doors. What was discussed was never learned by Findaráto or his cousins. Findaráto, in fact, spent most of his time making his farewells.

"We’re going to miss you," Ingwion said to him when he, Ingalaurë, and Indil were gathered together one evening in Findaráto’s sitting room visiting. "I’ve gotten used to having you around to offer sage advice. I want to thank you for all your help."

"You would have done well enough without me," Findaráto said with a smile.

"But not nearly as well as we did," Ingalaurë rejoined. "Especially where Uncle Ingoldo is concerned. I know Intarion and Lirulin are grateful for your... er... interference on their behalf."

Findaráto laughed. "I suppose," he averred. "At any rate, I rather enjoyed myself for the most part. Perhaps you can return the favor sometime and come visit me."

"Perhaps we will," Ingwion said. Ingalaurë and Indil both nodded.

"We’ll even bring Amarië with us," Indil said with a mischievous grin and Findaráto grinned back shyly while the twins snickered.

****

On the Valanya following the wedding, the Noldorin and Telerin royal families joined Ingwë and his family for a final audience with the Valar, for they would be leaving Vanyamar three days later.

"We have enjoyed your time among us," Lord Manwë told them. "It is unfortunate that distance prevents you from coming to us on a more regular basis, but we are grateful that Ingwë has graced us with his presence on a weekly basis and so we must be content with that."

"Grateful, lord?" Ingwë asked, looking mildly perplexed.

"Indeed," Manwë replied. "The Eldar are an endless source of delight and wonder to us and we are always happy when we are able to interact with you."

"You did not look particularly happy when you placed Fëanáro on trial," Findaráto couldn’t help saying, giving the Elder King a knowing smile.

Arafinwë shot him a disapproving look. "Findaráto! You forget yourself."

"Nay, Arafinwë," Manwë said, holding up his hand and smiling. "Do not chastise your son. He has the right of it. We were not particularly happy that day. In fact, we were all very troubled by what had happened and what is still happening. Yet, I spoke truly. We Valar are delighted when any of the Eldar seek us out for instruction or simply to visit."

"We are asambari after all, are we not?" Varda added. "It is only right that neighbors visit with one another and enjoy each other’s company."

"Yet, you have never actually visited any of us," Ñolofinwë pointed out.

"You have never invited us to do so," Manwë answered, sounding more amused than upset and the Elves all blushed at the unstated reprimand.

"An oversight that we will endeavor to correct," Ingwë said with a bow.

Then the Valar gave their blessing to the Elves, wishing them a good journey. At the end, the Elder King addressed Ñolofinwë.

"We know how difficult this time has been for you, my son," he said gravely, "yet we have every confidence that you will do well in ruling the Noldor in Tirion during Finwë’s absence. Do not hesitate, however, to call upon us if you feel the need. As my beloved pointed out, we are indeed neighbors, and should not neighbors help each other when there is need?"

Ñolofinwë bowed. "I thank thee for thy words, lord, and for thy support. Know that I am grateful for whatever aid thou dost deign to give me. There is much healing to be done among my people and between us and our fellow Elves. I fear it is not something that I can accomplish alone."

"Nor should you," Aulë stated. "You have the support of your family and kin as well as ours. You are not alone, child. All of us are here to aid you. You only need to reach out to us."

Ñolofinwë bowed again, his expression one of relief. As the Elves were making their way out, Aulë called out to Findaráto. "Remember, I will see you in Valmar. Come to my mansion on next Elenya at the third hour after First Mingling. One of my people will be there to escort you to me."

Findaráto gave the Vala a bow, then followed the others out.

****

Ingwë held a farewell feast for them all and Amarië and her parents were present as a matter of course. Yet, it was only at the very end of the feast that Findaráto asked her to join him in a walk through the same garden where they had often met one another. Neither said anything for a time, each reluctant to be the first to broach the subject of his leaving.

"Will you write more often?" Amarië suddenly asked.

"I will try," Findaráto said. "Will you come visit?" he asked.

"I will try," she responded with a smile and he grinned back.

"I will miss you," he said, stopping under an elm tree to take her hand and kiss it.

"As I will miss you," she said softly, leaning over to leave a kiss on his cheek. "Na mai, Findaráto. Márienna."

"Namárië, Amarië, vanimeldanya," Findaráto said and then she walked away, leaving him under the elm, watching her go. It was some time before he left the garden.

****

When they reached Eldamas, Olwë and Ñolofinwë decided to continue on to Tirion rather than break their journey there, so Findaráto took his leave of his family before the door of the Crown and Star Inn where he would be staying. Ñolofinwë gave him a brief hug. "I will keep the position of Supervisor to the Butteries open for you, Nephew," he said with a laugh, "but if you do not return to Tirion soon I will have to give it to another." He gave Findaráto a wink.

Findaráto laughed as well. "Hopefully, Lord Aulë will not keep me here too long."

His amillë gave him a kiss and a fond smile. "Try to stay out of trouble, beloved," she said softly and Findaráto nodded, not trusting himself to speak for the lump that had suddenly formed in his throat.

Then Arafinwë was hugging him. "I expect nothing but high praise from Lord Aulë about you," he said, giving him a meaningful look, though Findaráto could tell that his atar was very proud of him. He smiled shyly and finally his family departed. Findaráto watched wistfully as they disappeared around a bend in the road. His last sight of them was of Artanis waving. He waved back, then sighed and entered the inn where a room was readied for him.

He spent the next two days wandering around Eldamas, familiarizing himself with the elven town which had been built along the north road out of Valmar. At first, it had consisted of only a few houses belonging to those Elves who had taken direct service with one of the Valar, but over time it had grown into a sizeable town with inns and shops catering not only to those who now made their home there but also to those visiting Valmar from Vanyamar or Tirion. It was rare for any of the Teleri to come there and, in fact, the last time Olwë had come to Valmar had been at the Unchaining of Melkor ninety years before.

On Valanya, he joined many of the other Elves of Eldamas in the Landamallë Valion to sing paeans of praise to the Valar as had become customary for them to do, their voices mingling sweetly with the bells of the Mindon Nyellion. As he played the harp that had been gifted to him by Lord Manwë and sang the popular hymn ‘A Manwë, Anyár’ aranion’ along with the other Elves there, Findaráto idly wondered if the Valar were even aware of their singing, knowing that they were most likely holding their usual audience with Ingwë and the twins. A sudden sharp pang of longing to be back in Vanyamar assailed him, surprising him by its intensity. He had not realized how much he had enjoyed his time there. His fingers slowed on the strings and his voice faltered as he forced away the tears that threatened to come. Then he shook his head and with an almost grim determination resumed his playing and singing.

Finally, though, it was Elenya and at the third hour after First Mingling he presented himself before the gates of Aulë and Yavanna’s mansion, where a Maia who introduced himself as Aiwendil, welcomed him. Oddly, though, the Maia was not wearing the golden-yellow surcoat with the hammer and anvil emblem of Aulë, but a light yellow-green surcoat with the cornucopia emblem of Yavanna.

"Lord Aulë is expecting you, Prince Findaráto, if you will come with me," Aiwendil said.

"Thank you," Findaráto replied and walked beside the Maia through a courtyard filled with flowers of many hues and trees giving shade. Aiwendil led him through an arcade of arched stonework that opened into a cloister where they found both Aulë and Yavanna waiting. They were seated at a table that stood in the cloister’s center. Findaráto gave them his obeisance and Aulë thanked Aiwendil, who bowed and retreated back down the arcade.

Aulë gestured to the ellon. "Come and join us, Findaráto." Findaráto complied and Aulë poured some wine into a goblet for him as he sat down. "We enjoyed your singing yesterday," the Vala said as he set the decanter of wine down, giving the ellon a smile.

Findaráto nearly choked on the wine. "You knew I was there?" he asked, startled.

Yavanna gave a light laugh. "But of course, child," she said. "We could not help but notice how well you played the harp and we delighted in the sweetness of your voice even in the midst of all the other Elves singing and playing for us."

Findaráto blushed. "I wondered if you even knew we were there, for I know you would have been gathered in Ilmarin for the weekly audience with Ingwë."

"True," Aulë said with a nod, "but we Valar have the ability to travel swiftly in thought, too swiftly for the Eldar to notice, and so we were there in Ilmarin, listening to Ingalaurë recite a poem about the recent wedding, and also we were here, listening to you and the others congregated in the Landamallë to offer us your praises."

"Oh," was all Findaráto could think to say while the two Valar gave him indulgent smiles.

"At any rate," Aulë continued, "let us discuss your purpose in being here." Findaráto gave him his full attention. "I am pleased with the progress you have made in your studies, especially in crystallography, though I know you are still working on determining the energy properties of certain gems."

Findaráto nodded. "I am beginning to get a glimmer of what you meant by ‘coherent light’ but I still need more time to figure it out."

"As I thought," the Vala said with a nod. "As it happens, you are not the only one who has become interested in that particular property of certain gems, so I think it would be of benefit to you if you were to meet with the other Aulendur who are also doing research in this particular field."

Findaráto felt a thrill of excitement at the thought and smiled. "I would like that, thank you, lord, but, if I may ask, for how long will you keep me here? Uncle Ñolofinwë needs the help of all his family and I promised...."

Aulë raised a hand to forestall him. "Your uncle has more than enough hands helping him, child. One more pair will make no real difference."

Findaráto nodded, trying not to sigh. He truly wished to return to Tirion and help his family rather than remain in Valmar as just another Aulendur among many doing research that had no immediate significance or purpose. The breach among the Noldor was growing wider and he felt he should be using his talents to help heal it. As if she had divined his thoughts, Yavanna spoke.

"You are not just another Aulendur, Findaráto," she said, "but a beloved son of our hearts. Aulë is correct when he says that Ñolofinwë has more than enough people helping him during these troubled times. We would like the pleasure of enjoying your company for a time."

"Indeed," Aulë said. "Your Uncle Fëanáro and his sons often dwelt with us, but since the exile...." He gave a small sad shrug. "Well, let us just say that we are feeling a bit lonely lately."

Findaráto raised an eyebrow at that admission, seeing these two Valar in a different light. He gave them a smile. "In that case, I will remain and relieve you of your loneliness for a time."

Aulë and Yavanna beamed at him, but secretly Findaráto wondered at the real purpose for his being there.

****

Aiwendil was summoned and given instructions to accompany Findaráto back to the inn where he was staying and help him with his luggage. "You’ll be staying here with us," Aulë told the Noldo, which did not please Findaráto but he kept his thoughts to himself. Aulë gave him a shrewd look. "You are not a prisoner, Findaráto. I just think it would be more convenient for you to live among the other Aulendur. They have an entire wing to themselves. Your friend, Urundil, is there. He’s looking forward to seeing you again."

"And I him," Findaráto said, feeling less troubled. He gave the Valar his obeisance and followed the Maia out.

Aiwendil gave him a bright smile. "Lord Aulë does not allow every Aulendur to live here, you know."

Findaráto gave him an enquiring look and the Maia nodded. "Most have residences in Eldamas. Only the very best of them are asked to reside here in Valmar. It’s a special honor. Your Uncle Fëanáro and your cousins often stayed here."

"I know," Findaráto said with a nod and his expression became thoughtful as the two made their way to the Crown and Star Inn and in a short space of time he found himself being shown into a suite of rooms consisting of a sitting room and bedroom which had its own bathing room and privy.

Aiwendil placed Findaráto’s two bags on the bed (Findaráto insisted on carrying his precious harp himself) and gave the prince a respectful bow. "I hope you enjoy your stay here, child," he said. "If you need anything, do not hesitate to call out. One of us will hear you and come."

Findaráto nodded as the Maia left. For a time he just stood there in the middle of the room staring at nothing in particular. Then, he gave himself a mental shake and went about unpacking.

****

He met the other Aulenduri at dinner, joyfully greeting Urundil. "I have something for you," he said to the ellon. "Come to my rooms after dinner if you will." Urundil nodded and then proceeded to introduce him to the others. There were about a dozen or so Elves, almost equally divided between ellyn and ellith. They greeted Findaráto courteously as befitted his rank, addressing him formally, but he insisted that they should forgo formality and treat him no differently than any other Aulendur as he was now one of their company.

"And the very least of you," he added, "for I am the newest member of your group."

At first, they were somewhat reluctant, but Findaráto soon put them all at ease with his openly friendly manner and by the end of the meal they were all using the familiar form of address with him.

After dinner, Urundil joined him at his suite and Findaráto came out of the bedroom bearing a basket dyed blue and green. In fact, it looked very much like the basket that Urundil had originally attempted to buy in the marketplace in Vanyamar. The ellon gave him a surprised look and Findaráto grinned.

"I thought you should have your basket," he said, "and seeing as how you never got the chance to purchase one...."

"Actually, it was meant to be a gift for my daughter," Urundil said with a shy smile. "She wanted something from Vanyamar and when I saw the basket, I thought to buy it for her. I liked the blue and yellow pattern and knew she would as well."

"You have a daughter?" Findaráto asked in surprise, for he did not recall Urundil introducing any of the ellith he had met earlier as his daughter.

Urundil nodded. "She lives with her ammë in Eldamas," he explained. "My wife, Valamírë, is an illuminator of manuscripts and has her own studio. Our daughter, Aulendilmë, is only twenty and so lives with her ammë. I see them every Valanya."

Findaráto nodded. "Well, I hope your daughter will like this," he said. "I’m sorry I could not find one that was blue and yellow. I went to a different basketmaker before I left Vanyamar and this was the closest one I could find."

"It’s perfect," Urundil assured him. "Aulendilmë will love it. Thank you."

"Good," Findaráto said in satisfaction. "Will you join me in some wine and you can tell me what your duties are so I have a better idea of what to expect."

Urundil agreed and soon the two ellyn were sitting together on the balcony of the sitting room overlooking an elaborate knotwork garden, sipping on yellow wine. Urundil told him about his work as an Aulendur.

"I am presently working on cataloguing the properties of various gems and crystals," Urundil told him. "I am fairly certain some of them could be harnessed as energy sources, though how or to what degree I have yet to determine. A couple of others whom you have not met are assisting me in my research."

Findaráto raised an eyebrow at the seeming coincidence, yet he felt a rising excitement as the loremaster in him came to the fore. "It just so happens, I have recently been studying the very same thing. I wonder if that is why Lord Aulë thought I would benefit by coming here?"

Urundil nodded. "Most likely. Would you tell me what you have learned to date?"

"Gladly would I share my findings with you," Findaráto said. "You wouldn’t happen to know what is meant by ‘coherent light’, would you?"

The other ellon gave him a surprised look. "How odd," he said. "Just the other day Lord Aulë used that very phrase but none of us know what it means."

Findaráto smiled. "Then perhaps together we can learn its meaning."

Urundil smiled back, nodding, and Findaráto poured more wine into their goblets. "So far, I’ve narrowed down the possibilities of which gems would work best in harnessing their inner fire, as I call it...."

****

"Do you think it will work?" Yavanna asked her husband as they sat together in an arbor just outside Aulë’s forge.

The Smith of the Valar gave a shrug. "Only time will tell, my love," he said, "but hopefully Findaráto and Urundil will forge a friendship that will be instrumental in calming our young prince’s spirit enough that he will then seek to calm the restless spirits of his fellow Noldor."

"Even so, it still may come to naught," Yavanna said pensively.

"I know," Aulë averred, leaning over to give his wife a husbandly kiss, "but if there’s even the remotest chance of it succeeding...."

Yavanna nodded and then concentrated on returning her husband’s kiss with one of her own and for a time they both forgot about the Noldor and the newest Aulendur who sat on a balcony elsewhere in the mansion, happily conversing with his new friend as they shared each other’s theories on the properties of gemstones.

****

Asambari: Plural of asambar: Neighbor.

Na mai, Findaráto. Márienna: ‘Be well, Findaráto. Farewell’. Márienna, used only as an expression of farewell, literally means, ‘to goodness’. It was an archaic form of namárië which can be used either as a greeting or for farewell (cf. ‘Aloha’ or ‘Shalom’). [See Parma Eldalamberon 17:162]

Namárië, Amarië, vanimeldanya: ‘Farewell, Amarië, my beautiful and beloved one’. Vanimelda, according to Tolkien, was said to be ‘the highest praise for beauty’ with two interpretations that were equally valid and simultaneously true: ‘beautiful and beloved’, i.e. ‘movingly lovely’ but also ‘elven fair’. [See Parma Eldalamberon 17:56]

Landamallë Valion: The Avenue of the Valar. Landamallë, literally means "wide street" [landa "wide" + mallë "street]. Vali is an alternative plural of Vala.

A Manwë, Anyár’ aranion: ‘O Manwë, Elder King’. Anyar’ aranion, literally, ‘most ancient of kings’; cf. the Sindarin cognate, Aran Einior.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List