Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Darkness Bound  by Fiondil

40: The Prince Returns

Arafinwë was the first to recover from his shock. "Yonya," he said in a voice that was barely above a whisper, "what are you doing here?"

Findaráto raised an eyebrow. "Last time I looked, Atto," he said with a wry smile on his lips, "I live here. What? Did you give my rooms to Ingwion?" He cast his older cousin a merry look.

Ingwion was tempted to offer a retort just then, but he realized that for all Findaráto’s light-hearted manner, there was an undertone of steel in his voice that discouraged levity from others.

Arafinwë shook his head. "Findaráto," was all he said but the tone was enough.

Findaráto’s mien became more sober. "Lord Aulë released me from his service three days ago," he replied. "He said I was needed here and I could leave after breaking my fast. He gave me an escort of one of his Maiar."

"Only one?" Artanis couldn’t help asking, drawing frowns from both her parents.

Findaráto’s expression lightened. "Sister, one Maia can level this city with but a single thought," he said, ignoring the murmurs from the crowd. "I was safe enough, I assure you." Then he looked down at Morcocáno, who was slowly beginning to rise to his knees, shaking his head as if to clear it. "Perhaps we should take this to a more private venue," he suggested as he stooped down to lift the ellon up, nodding as Calandil and another guard came forward to take custody of the noble.

Ñolofinwë, however, shook his head and made his way back to his throne and resumed it. "No. I think we should deal with this here and now. Calandil, bring the prisoner forward."

Calandil complied with the Regent’s command and Ñolofinwë looked coldly down on the ellon. "Thou darest to pull steel on another, Lord Morcocáno? Didst thou learn nothing of my brother’s fate before the Valar? What possessed thee towards such madness? Speak! I would hear thine excuse before I pass judgment upon thee."

Morcocáno had the grace to look abashed. "I have no excuse, my lord," he said softly, not looking at anyone. "I fear I allowed my anger to take over. I apologize to Lord Herencáno for mine actions."

"If my nephew had not intervened, thou mayest well have brought grievous harm to Lord Herencáno," Ñolofinwë said, refusing to bend.

"Yet, I am unharmed," Herencáno offered, "and so I forgive Lord Morcocáno for his actions. I did not mean to impugn his honor in any way, but was merely making an observation."

"An observation that We Ourselves have wondered at," Ñolofinwë said, "for my brother and I have been keeping an eye on the various guilds and who their patrons are. It seems, Morcocáno, that in the last two incidents involving the miners, thou wert in the middle of the fray."

"I was merely protecting my interests," Morcocáno replied with a shrug.

"No doubt," Ñolofinwë said, then paused, giving Arafinwë a resigned look, before returning his attention to Morcocáno. "The Valar exiled my brother for pulling live steel on me," he said. "I think a similar punishment is meet here, therefore, I banish thee, Lord Morcocáno, to Formenos. There thou shalt remain until the time of my brother’s exile is lifted. Thou mayest have whoever in thy household accompany thee if they will. Calandil, escort Lord Morcocáno to his house and see that he begins packing. I want him out of Tirion by the next First Mingling."

Morcocáno looked stunned, as did many others. "You can’t do that!" he protested, even as Calandil and the other guard placed their hands on him to lead him away.

Ñolofinwë’s expression was unforgiving. "As Regent, I can and I will. Please feel free to appeal my ruling to my atar when thou seest him." He nodded and Calandil drew the still protesting ellon away. It was some time before silence reigned in the Court of the White Tree. When Morcocáno’s voice had died away in the distance, Ñolofinwë spoke again to the assembly. "Understand this: We will not tolerate these disturbances and outbreaks of violence. If any are caught inciting others to violence or if We have evidence that certain people are fomenting discord amongst us for their own purposes, they will be summarily exiled to Formenos. Anyone found causing physical harm to another will be sent directly to the Valar for them to deal with. Pay heed to Our words, for this is your only warning."

With that he stood and, nodding to the other members of the royal family, stepped down from the dais with Arafinwë beside him. Without being asked, Findaráto joined them and with a gesture to Ingwion, invited him to walk beside him while the rest of the family followed, the crowd parting silently to let them pass. Once inside the palace, Ñolofinwë led them all to the family dining room where servants were already setting out a light collation which Anairë had ordered ahead of time. Ñolofinwë sat heavily in his seat and threw his coronet on the table with a sigh. Everyone else quietly took their own seats, none venturing to speak. A quiet word from Arafinwë dismissed the servants and then the family was alone.

After several uncomfortable minutes, Ñolofinwë shook his head, as if clearing it of his thoughts, looking up at the concerned faces of the others, giving them a rueful smile. "Not exactly how I had planned it," he said and there were chuckles throughout the room and the tension they were all feeling relaxed somewhat.

"You were splendid, Atto," Írissë said, her eyes glowing with pride.

"Indeed you were, my love," Anairë added, leaning over to give her husband a kiss. "I was very proud of you." She gave him a smile that she reserved only for him.

Ñolofinwë returned her smile with one of his own. "Thank you, meldanya."

"We were all proud of you, Ari," Indis said. "You handled the situation very well." Then she turned her attention to her grandson, Findaráto, her expression shrewd. "So, Lord Aulë said you were needed here, did he?"

Findaráto nodded. "I thought it rather odd that he would say something like that considering how reluctant he has been to release me from his service. I was quite surprised when he summoned me just after I had finished dinner with the news. Luckily, I have been anticipating his releasing me as he promised, so I was already mostly packed."

"Did Lord Aulë say why you were needed?" Arafinwë asked.

His son shook his head. "Only that I was needed and I should leave as soon as possible. I cannot imagine that he knew that Lord Morcocáno would attack Lord Herencáno and that only I could save the latter from the former. It was just fortuitous that I was there. So, it must be something else."

"When did you arrive?" Ñolofinwë asked. "How much did you see and hear?"

"I arrived just after you began speaking, Uncle," Findaráto answered. "I came to the gates and found the city curiously empty. Aiwendil, my Maia escort, told me to make for the Court of the White Tree, for there was where I would find you."

"Curious," Ingwion said, frowning. "You are correct that it is doubtful that Lord Aulë knew that Lord Morcocáno would do what he did, yet certainly he seems to have anticipated some sort of trouble today and that you would be needed."

"It is said that Lord Námo sees further into Arda’s history than any other," Findecáno offered. "Perhaps he saw something and spoke with Lord Aulë."

Findaráto shrugged. "I have no answers," he said. "I only know what I was told. Now, do you think we might put aside our speculations long enough to eat? I would hate to see this fine collation go to waste."

"You and your stomach," Eärwen said with a smile at her first-born as the others laughed lightly. At Ñolofinwë’s nod they rose to go to the sideboards and make their selections before returning to their seats. For a time there was little talking as each concentrated on their plate, but eventually, even Findaráto felt replete. Pouring some wine into his goblet, he looked at his uncle.

"So, what exactly have I missed since my last visit?" he asked. "Your speech sounded rather familiar." He cast a surreptitious look at Ingwion sitting beside him.

"If you mean, it sounded like the same speech Atto gave to the guilds in Vanyamar," Ingwion said with a smile, "you are correct."

"So you are finally consulting with Uncle Ingwë?" Findaráto enquired.

"Ingwion relayed some of my concerns to our uncle and he has graciously given his advice," Ñolofinwë replied.

"Ah," Findaráto said. "I wondered if you would take advantage of Ingwion’s presence in that regard. Who approached whom with the idea?"

"I did," Ingwion said. "It took me some time to realize that that is why Atto sent me here, to act as a conduit between him and Ari with no one else being the wiser."

"And yet, Morcocáno guessed the truth," Findaráto pointed out.

"And others might also guess," Ñolofinwë averred with a nod, "but that is all they can do. Ingwion and I have been very careful. Indeed, I have only consulted with Uncle Ingwë once."

"I wonder, though, how much the Valar are aware of what is happening here," Ingwion said. "Today’s incident, while unexpected, certainly would have warranted an immediate response by the Valar. Atto is certain that since the incident with Fëanáro drawing steel on Ari, they have been more vigilant."

"You mean they’re spying on us?" Artanis exclaimed.

"Not in the way you mean, nésanya," Findaráto answered for Ingwion. "Rather, they are keeping a closer watch on what we do."

"Do you think they will allow you to exile Morcocáno as you have, though, Atto?" Turucáno asked. "I mean, without their holding their own trial first?"

"We will see, yonya," Ñolofinwë replied with a sigh. "In truth, I have no idea what to do with him otherwise. Sending him to Formenos seemed the safest course."

"It should send the right message to others, at any rate," Arafinwë added. "People might stop and think before acting rashly if they know that they, too, might suffer exile."

"One can only hope," Ñolofinwë said with a sigh. Then he looked at Findaráto and for the first time that day, he smiled. "At any rate, Nephew, we are happy to see you back where you belong. We’ve all missed you."

"And I am glad to be back," Findaráto said. "I’ve missed all of you as well."

"It’s a pity we weren’t given more notice, though," Eärwen said, "else we could have given you a proper welcome."

Findaráto shrugged. "It matters not. The important thing is that I am back for good. I will miss my time with Urundil and the other Aulenduri, of course, but I know my true place is here with my family."

"And we are glad that you are here, Nephew," Ñolofinwë said, giving him a mischievous smile. "I’m still looking for someone to oversee the butteries. No one else seems interested."

"That’s because we knew Finda would never forgive us if any of us had taken the position," Angaráto said, sticking his tongue out at his older brother.

Findaráto laughed. "Yes, indeed. I would have been very wroth with you all." But it was clear that he was only jesting and everyone smiled.

****

The Valar’s response to what happened became apparent when two Maiar wearing the eagle emblem of the Elder King showed up later that day to inform Ñolofinwë that they would see that Morcocáno arrived in Formenos.

"Lord Manwë wishes you to know that you made the right decision to exile Lord Morcocáno," one of the Maiar said and Ñolofinwë’s expression was one of relief. "He also wishes you to know that he is aware of the problems you are having and he has every confidence that you will be able to handle them. You have his trust and his favor. Do not hesitate to call upon him if ever there is need."

"Thank you," Ñolofinwë said gratefully. "Please extend my thanks to Lord Manwë. I am grateful for his support."

The Maiar bowed and then went to collect the prisoner, who, it turned out, would be leaving without his family, for his parents and younger brother adamantly refused to follow him into exile and his atar would not allow him to take even one retainer. In fact, Lord Morcocallo came to Ñolofinwë and offered him his sincerest apologies for his son’s behavior.

"He has always had a temper," the ellon said, "but I never thought he would do what he did."

"Perhaps these next few years in exile will teach him to control his temper more," Ñolofinwë said and insisted that no further action would be taken against the family, much to everyone’s relief.

****

Findaráto, meanwhile, began settling in. "I must send word to Intarion and Lirulin that I am back home," he said to Ingwion as the two were together in Findaráto’s rooms a couple of days later, enjoying a glass of mellow yellow wine after the noon meal.

"No need," Ingwion said. "I sent a message to them the day you arrived."

"Thank you," Findaráto said, then gave his cousin a shrewd look. "Did you also send a message to your atar?"

Ingwion nodded. "I wrote the report up directly after I left you to unpack and had it on its way within an hour."

Findaráto nodded, not too surprised. "I suspected you would. I hope you downplayed my own part in the incident."

Ingwion gave him a mischievous smile. "Actually, I embellished your part quite a bit and made you the hero of the day."

"Thank you so much," Findaráto rejoined with a feigned grimace. "Well, at any rate, we know that the Valar are aware of what happened and approved Uncle Ñolofinwë’s decision. I had wondered if they would demand that Morcocáno be brought before them as Fëanáro was. In a way, I am glad that he was not."

"Why is that?" Ingwion asked as he took a sip of his wine and reached over to the plate of cheese and fruit sitting on the table between them, choosing a grape.

"It means that they are willing to let us handle these situations from now on rather than taking over. Fëanáro, I think, was a special case considering the circumstances. The Valar were caught off-guard then, but not anymore."

"Makes sense," Ingwion averred. "So what are your plans now that you are back home?"

"You mean besides seeing that the butteries are well stocked?" Findaráto replied with a laugh and Ingwion joined him. "Truth to tell, I have no idea. All the time I was in Valmar I kept thinking I was needed here, that somehow without my presence nothing would get done. Pure foolishness and highly conceited, of course, but that is how I felt. Now that I am here, though, I find myself pining for Valmar and the company of the Aulenduri." He shook his head. "Never satisfied, I guess."

"Perhaps something will come up that will require your special talents," Ingwion suggested.

"Hopefully," Findaráto said with a sigh as he took a piece of cheese and popped it into his mouth, washing it down with the wine. "So how have you been faring?"

"Well enough," Ingwion answered. "I have mostly been observing the way Ñolofinwë has been governing your people. In spite of his misgivings, he is a good leader and I think he has the regard of the people."

"He is certainly in an untenable position," Findaráto averred. "I am glad I am not in his shoes."

"Me, too," Ingwion responded. "Now that Ñolofinwë is asking Atto for advice, though, I think his confidence is growing. I have no doubt that he will prove a better ruler than Fëanáro could ever be, perhaps even better than Finwë."

Findaráto shrugged. "I have no opinion about that either way," he said, "but I am glad to see that he and Atto are working together."

"That’s what family is for, is it not?" Ingwion rejoined.

Findaráto nodded. "Speaking of which, what news of your family? How is Ingil handling his responsibilities without you?"

"Well, he hasn’t written much lately," Ingwion said, "but in Indil’s last letter she mentioned that he and Uncle Ingoldo seem to be spending time together."

"That cannot be a good thing, surely!" Findaráto exclaimed.

Ingwion shrugged. "Indil seems to think that our brother is actually being a good influence on our uncle. Uncle Ingoldo appears to be less belligerent lately and is being more cooperative."

"Still, this is Ingoldo we’re talking about," Findaráto said skeptically. "I do not think anything good can come of Ingil befriending him."

"I know," Ingwion said with a sigh, "but there’s not much I can do about it with me here and Ingil there. I can only hope that Atto is keeping a close watch on Uncle Ingoldo and will intervene if he thinks he is unduly influencing my brother."

"I suppose that is all we can do," Findaráto said. "In the meantime, I would like you to arrange a meeting between me and those Vanyar whom you mentioned have come to you with complaints."

"I can have Eccaldamos arrange it," Ingwion said. "Is there a reason why you wish to speak with them?"

"I want to hear their stories for myself," the Noldorin prince replied. "Living in Valmar I heard only rumors from visitors passing through between Tirion and Vanyamar. I need facts, not rumors, before I can offer any suggestions to Uncle Ñolofinwë."

Ingwion nodded. "Most of the complaints have been properly resolved in the city courts, but there were a couple that I felt should come to the attention of the Regent. I will have you speak with them. Their cases have yet to be heard, so perhaps you will be able to offer your opinion about them. You are qualified to sit in judgment, are you not?"

"Just barely," Findaráto admitted. "But yes, I could certainly do so if mine uncle would rather not. Certainly I can act as an advocate if necessary."

"Then I will see to it at once," Ingwion said, standing and draining his glass. "I would like these cases resolved sooner rather than later for all our sakes. Until they are resolved there is always the chance that emotions that are already running high will explode into violence and we want to avoid that at all cost."

"Indeed," Findaráto agreed, rising as well.

"Thank you," Ingwion said. "I am glad you are willing to help me with this."

Findaráto wrapped his arms around Ingwion and gave him a quick hug. "What is family for, after all?" he asked with a smile and then he let Ingwion go. Once his cousin was gone, he resumed his seat, pouring more wine into his glass, contemplating many things, not the least being the news about Ingalaurë and Ingoldo. That disturbed him on some inchoate level and he did not know why, only that no good could possibly come of it.

****

Meldanya: My beloved.

Nésanya: My sister.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List