Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Darkness Bound  by Fiondil

52: At the Máhanaxar

Ingwë stood silently between the thrones of Lord Manwë and Lady Varda, while the Vanyar ranged about the Máhanaxar, some of them weeping quietly. Unlike the Noldor, the Vanyar did not return to Vanyamar but remained in Valmar, for Ingwë refused to leave. He had realized the reason Lord Manwë had dismissed the Eldar, knowing that the Valar needed to grieve as well as they but they would not do so publicly. He had waited for a time that once had been measured by the waxing and waning of the Light of the Trees and now could only be measured by the slow movement of the stars as they crossed the heavens above them before going back to the Máhanaxar where the Valar still sat in council. Ingwë was sure that they would be stopped by the Maiar and sent on their way, but that did not happen. In fact, they were pretty much ignored and so the Vanyar stood between the thrones and the surrounding area, waiting for they knew not what, hoping for some miracle and fearing that none would be forthcoming.

The Valar and the Maiar, Ingwë noticed, never moved, not even their eyes, and he wondered if they were even aware of their surroundings. They could have been statues for all the movement they made. He suppressed a shudder when he caught Eönwë’s eyes. The Maia’s expression was one of deep pain, a pain that went beyond words, the emotions held within his eyes too deep, too eternal and too terrible for the Elda to comprehend except on a visceral level. For the first time in his life, Ingwë, High King of the Eldar, felt fear where before he had only felt awe in the presence of the Valar and the Maiar. He reached out for Elindis’ hand and was not surprised at how tightly she held on to his.

"Why don’t they say something?" Ingalaurë whispered to his twin, but Ingwion just shook his head, having no answer.

"How long do you intend to stand here, Brother?" Ingoldo hissed into Ingwë’s ear.

"For as long as necessary," Ingwë replied evenly, "but feel free to leave any time, Brother."

"Bah!" Ingoldo muttered, but he did not leave.

And all the while, the Valar and the Maiar never moved.

****

*Without the Silmarils, there is no hope of reviving the Trees,* Yavanna told them as they sat in council. *Even now it is probably too late, for the roots are decaying rapidly.*

*It is a moot point,* Aulë said, *for the Silmarils are beyond our reach.*

*Do we know that?* Tulkas asked. *Should we not go after Melkor?*

*Not by my counsel,* Oromë replied. *If we do, there will be war and this planet could well end up being destroyed. Remember the devastation the last time we went after our Fallen Brother?*

*He will have reached the Outer Lands by now and will no doubt be holing up in one of his old fortresses,* Ulmo opined. *And we never did discover the whereabouts of Aulendil. He’s still out there somewhere, waiting for his Master to return.*

*War at this time is out of the question,* Manwë finally spoke. *What is needful now is to preserve what we can and see to the Children. They are in shock, most of them having never known anything but the Light of the Trees. We need to attend to them first.*

*The Teleri will be the least affected by this calamity,* Ulmo said. *The Vanyar, I deem, will be the most affected, for many of them, more so than even the Noldor, abide here in Valmar and the loss of the Light will be most devastating for them.*

*What of Fëanáro?* Vána asked. *If Finwë is dead, then he is Noldóran. Do we lift his exile so he might take the throne?*

*No,* Manwë replied. *Fëanáro’s term of exile stands for now. Ñolofinwë will continue to rule in Tirion.*

*Those of Formenos can leave at any time through their tunnel,* Námo pointed out. *Should we not put guards there to keep them from leaving?*

*There’s really no point, is there?* Varda said somewhat acerbically. *And now with Finwë dead, do you seriously think his son will keep to the terms of exile? He will blame us for his atar’s death and will no longer allow himself to be ruled by us. I have no doubt that once his initial grief is assuaged he will make for Tirion to claim the Noldóran’s crown.*

*Should we not stop him, then?* Estë asked. *Should we allow him or any of them to defy our authority?*

*And have the accusation of keeping them here as thralls thrown in our faces once again?* Námo retorted with a snort of disgust which none of the Elves standing about the Máhanaxar ever heard.

*Fëanáro is not our main concern at the moment,* Manwë said. *We need to address the problem of keeping Aman viable.*

*The force field that has kept Atháraphelun viable is still in place,* Varda assured them. *My people will strengthen it.* Then she addressed Námo. *Is this the time that you saw, Námo? Is this the time of the Great Lights?*

Námo mentally shrugged. *I do not know, Varda,* he admitted. *I think perhaps it may be, but I still do not know how these Great Lights will come into existence.*

*Perhaps it is time for you to create a star for this system,* Nessa suggested to Varda. *Surely Atar’s Second Children are due to awaken.*

*Yes, my heart feels, and my wisdom tells me,* Manwë said, *that no great age of time will now elapse ere the Second Children come into the world. Very well, then. Yavanna and Nienna, examine the Trees again to see if anything of them can be salvaged. Varda, perhaps it is time for you to think about creating a star for us. This world has been in darkness long enough. In the meantime, I think we need to see to the welfare of Ingwë’s people. They cannot remain here indefinitely while we hold council.* He turned his head, amused at the startled looks on the faces of the Elves and addressed them verbally.

"Ingwë, my son, thou and thy people should not remain here," he said gently. "Go now and return to your homes even as your Noldorin brethren have done. There is naught any of you can do here."

"I would remain though, lord," Ingwë said with a bow, "to be a witness for my people of the decisions of the Valar. You are correct, though, about everyone else." He raised his voice to address the other Vanyar. "Go, my people, return to your homes. There is naught you can do here either for good or for evil. I will remain to consult with the Elder King."

"And that goes for you who abide in Eldamas," Manwë added. "Go, see to your own welfare. If any of us have need of you, we will send word."

Slowly, reluctantly, the Elves began to disperse, speaking softly to one another, continually glancing back at the still silent and unmoving Valar.

Meanwhile, Ingwë was speaking softly to Elindis. "Go, beloved, and lead our people until I return." He glanced at his children and his brother. "I think the rest of you should go as well."

"If it’s all right with you, Atto, I will remain here," Ingwion said. "As it is, I should have returned to Tirion with Ñolofinwë."

Ingwë shook his head. "No. I think the embassy has served its purpose, but you may stay with me if you desire. Ingil, Indil, help your ammë until I return."

The others nodded and Elindis gave her husband and son a brief kiss before giving her obeisance to Manwë and Varda. Then she took hold of a torch one of their guards was carrying and set off, her head held high. Indil and Ingalaurë kissed their atar and Ingwion as well before following their ammë. Ingoldo started after with Tinwetariel but Ingwë held him back.

"I know you and I do not agree on many things, but for now, please put aside your animosity towards me and help Elindis until I return. Our people need us to be strong and showing a united front against this calamity."

Ingoldo did not speak but after a brief moment he nodded and Ingwë let him go. He turned his attention back to the Valar, who still had not moved. He gave Ingwion a rueful look and sighed, wondering what decisions were being made.

****

*Eönwë,* Manwë ordered, *I want Maiar stationed everywhere where the Children live. I want to know immediately if there is any outbreak of violence or unusual behavior. Fear is the predominant emotion right now and there is no telling what they might do in that state.*

*It is done, lord,* Eönwë said. *I have assigned Fionwë to watch over Vanyamar, while Olórin is keeping an eye on Tirion. Salmar has agreed to watch over the Teleri. Manveru and Erunáro are strengthening the northern watch in case Melkor or his new ally try to return. I have other Maiar stationed at Formenos, Eldamas and in the Southern Fiefdoms and have received reports that those Elves who remained there to tend to the livestock have had a difficult time calming the animals. Perhaps Lady Nessa or Lord Oromë could see to that.*

Manwë turned to Oromë and Nessa. *Will you send your people throughout Aman to calm the animals, both domestic and wild? The last thing we need is to have stampedes of frightened beasts rampaging through the land.*

Both Oromë and Nessa nodded. *We will see to it immediately. I’ve already dispatched most of our Maiar for the task.*

*Good,* Manwë said. *We also need to ascertain how to protect their crops.*

*The crops will continue to flourish,* Yavanna said, *though not in the same abundance as before. I will have Vána oversee that with her Maiar to make sure that the Children do not starve. I do not know how long it will take you to create a star for this system, Varda, but the sooner, the better for us all.*

*Yes,* Varda said. *Let me know what you find about the Trees, if any of their fruit can be salvaged. It would help me to have some of that light to create the star.*

*Would you use the fruit of both Trees for the star, assuming something can be salvaged?* Aulë asked.

*Why do you ask?* Varda enquired.

*Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Námo mentioned ‘great lights’, which presupposes more than one light source.*

The Valar remained silent for a time before Manwë spoke. *The light of Telperion was ever softer than that of Laurelin. Perhaps we might create a satellite for this world from that light and save Laurelin’s light for the star.*

Varda nodded. *I will think on that. First though, we need to know if we can salvage any fruit from the Trees. If not, I will have to start from scratch and frankly, I’m in no mood to do so.*

Manwë mentally grinned. *Yavanna, Nienna, see to the Trees. That needs to be our first priority.*

****

Both Ingwë and Ingwion started when Lady Yavanna and Lady Nienna suddenly rose and walked out of the Ring toward the Mound. The two Elves gave each other uneasy glances, not sure what was happening. There was no other movement or sound among the Valar or their Maiar attendants. The only light was that of the stars and the guttering torches held by the two guards that propriety demanded remain with them. Ingwë glanced up at the sky, remembering waking for the first time under the stars, hearing a song of welcome that was nowhere and everywhere, awed by the absolutely terrifying beauty of his Awakening. He suppressed a shiver and moved his eyes earthward, turning to see what the two Valier were doing with the Trees.

Ingwion, seeing his atar’s gaze move upward, followed suit and wondered if he would ever get used to the sight of all those stars constantly shining down upon them. He had heard the tales from his parents and others who had made the perilous journey to Aman and he had traveled down the Calacirya once to see the stars, but it was not the same as experiencing the fullness of their glory in such a sudden manner. He felt a crick in his neck as he continued to stare upward and wanted to lie on his back so he could continue to watch the heavens in greater comfort, but knew how foolish that was. He would have to wait until he was alone to do that. Perhaps he and his siblings and their friends could find a place on the mountainside to watch the stars. The longer he looked the more convinced he was that some of the stars formed definite patterns, but perhaps it was just his imagination.

When the crick in his neck became too bothersome he lowered his gaze and turned with his atar to see what was happening on the Mound.

****

*Anything?* Manwë asked Yavanna and Nienna.

*Nienna has washed the filth of the poison from the Trees,* Yavanna replied. *We’re looking at the roots now, but it does not seem as if there is any chance that any part of the Trees still lives.*

They all ‘heard’ her sigh of frustration and grief. Nienna came and wrapped her arms around Yavanna and rocked her gently as the two wept quietly.

*Perhaps they need some time to recover from the poison,* Vána suggested, though there was a sense of doubt to her thoughts.

*Perhaps,* Yavanna replied, *but for the moment we must assume that Varda will not be able to use anything of the Trees’ lights for her star-making.*

*How long will it take you to create a star without the Light of Laurelin to aid you?* Manwë asked his spouse.

*It is true that having something of Laurelin’s fruit would make things easier,* Varda replied, *but I can take one of the stars from a nearby nursery to use. The main problem is replacing the black hole with the star in such a way as not to cause any major disturbances in the system. The mathematics will have to be very precise.*

*Ulmo and Aulë can help you there,* Manwë said. *I am not sure about simply picking any star from the nursery to be Atháraphelun’s star. It may be best to create a new star from scratch.*

*That will take a little longer,* Varda said, *but I can do it. I will need to calculate the exact parameters of stellar output to ensure that this world receives just enough light and heat for viability.*

*We may need to change the planet’s obliquity,* Ulmo added. *At the moment we have been maintaining it at zero-degrees, but once we have a star in this system, there should be distinct seasons in the temperate zones for better crop production.*

*What do you suggest?* Aulë asked.

*We can change the spin so that there is a tilt between twenty-two and twenty-four and a half degrees,* Ulmo said. *Anything beyond that range will make the planet uninhabitable. The change from minimum to maximum obliquity will occur over a period of forty-three hundred years or so.*

*That will be long enough that none of the Second Children will be aware of the shift and even the Eldar will most likely not take any real note of it,* Varda said.

*Very well,* Manwë said. *Let’s keep that in mind for when we replace the black hole with the star. No matter how carefully we do it, there is going to be some turmoil in the system. We will need to have our Maiar stationed at the various planets to make sure they stay where they are. We will figure out the logistics when Varda is closer to creating the star itself. In the meantime....*

*Lord!* Eönwë interrupted. *Forgive me, but Roimendil has just informed me that Fëanáro is leading all the people of Formenos out.*

*By way of the tunnel?* Manwë asked.

*Nay, lord,* Eönwë answered. *They are leaving by the road and....* He paused for a moment as if listening. *They are singing!*

*Singing!* cried more than one Vala in surprise. *Of what could they be singing?* came the query from more than one mind and they all stretched their senses toward Formenos and watched in dismay as the Noldor marched along the road, their voices loud in defiance as they sang of their grief and anger. It surprised none of them that Fëanáro’s voice could be heard clearly above all the others.

Manwë nodded grimly at the scene.

*Do we stop them, lord?* Eönwë asked.

*No. Let us see what the new king of the Noldor would do,* the Elder King replied and then turned to Ingwë who gazed back at him in puzzlement.

"Lord, forgive me," Ingwë said, "but what is happening? Can the Trees be saved?"

"Forgive me, Ingwë, and thou also, Ingwion, for seeming to ignore you both," Manwë said, "but we were discussing certain contingency plans in the event that the Trees are truly dead. We are making plans to provide light again, not only to Aman but to all of Arda. In the meantime, we have a slightly different problem."

"What is that, lord?" Ingwë asked.

"It seems that Fëanáro has decided to defy our authority," Manwë replied with a sigh. "Even now he leads the people of Formenos from there. He is heading for Tirion, I deem, there to claim the crown as Noldóran."

"And you will allow this?" Ingwë demanded in surprise. "You will lift his banishment?"

Manwë shook his head. "We will not, but neither will we stay him in his course. Unless he can be convinced to return to Formenos he will be in defiance, both he and Morcocáno, actually, since he, too, has not had his exile lifted by Ñolofinwë. The others, including Fëanáro’s sons, may remain in Tirion or return to Formenos as they wish."

"Perhaps I can go to Tirion and speak with Ñolofinwë, Atar," Ingwion suggested. "It would be best if he is apprised of what is happening and not be taken by surprise."

Manwë nodded. "That is an excellent idea, my son. Ye should both go to Tirion. Thou, Ingwë, art the High King. Finwë acknowledged it and Fëanáro must as well. It may be thou mayest persuade Finwion to return to Formenos."

"And if I cannot," Ingwë asked.

Manwë gave him an elegant shrug. "Then thou canst not, but at least thou wilt have tried and that is all we ask of thee."

"Then I will go, lord, and see if I cannot persuade this most stubborn ellon to see reason," Ingwë said with a bow. "I have no doubt that the child blames thee for this calamity, not for the death of the Trees, but for the death of his atar and the loss of the Silmarils."

"I have no doubt either," Manwë said sadly.

"He has to come through Valmar to reach Tirion, though," Ingwion pointed out. "Should we not confront him here instead?"

"No," Manwë answered. "We will not allow them to enter our city. Indeed, they will be forced off the road before they reach Eldamas and will have to travel east and then south through wilderness ere they come to the road to Tirion further on."

"Their march will necessarily be slower, then, and that will give me more time to speak with Ñolofinwë," Ingwë said with no little satisfaction.

Manwë nodded. "Go then, my children, and do what you can. Horses and provisions will be waiting for you at the eastern gate. We will continue to hold council here, for there is much that we must decide for the welfare of us all."

Ingwë and Ingwion gave the Valar their obeisance and soon they and their guards were making their way back through Valmar to take the eastern road to Tirion.

*Let us hope Ingwë succeeds in turning Fëanáro back,* Námo said.

*We will have to see,* Manwë acknowledged, *but in the meantime, let us turn our attention to what to do about our Fallen Brother. Melyanna’s realm will be threatened now that Melkor has returned to the Outer Lands. War, as I said earlier, is out of the question, but perhaps we can lay siege to his fortress and keep him contained....*

****

Atháraphelun: (Valarin) ‘Appointed Dwelling’, the original name for our world and by extension the solar system as a whole.

Note: Obliquity is the degree of tilt that a planet has relative to its plane of orbit around the sun. Because the earth wobbles like a top on its axis the obliquity changes over time. Thus, at the present time, it is at 23° 27' (about 23.5°), but in 8700 BCE it was 24° 21'. The period of time for the obliquity to move from minimum (22.1°) to maximum (24.5°) is approximately 42,000 years (4384.7 Valian years).





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List