Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Darkness Bound  by Fiondil

99: Allies Unlooked-for

Arafinwë groaned and covered his face with his hands. Lord Manwë paused in his narrative, his eyes full of sorrow as he watched the Elf.

"They don’t know about Alqualondë, do they?" Arafinwë asked, lowering his hands to look at the Valar.

"No, they do not," Lord Námo answered for them. "It will be your task to tell them."

Arafinwë started to protest, and then nodded, his expression becoming grim. "Part of my punishment."

The four Valar exchanged looks that were unreadable to the Elf. Lord Aulë shook his head and gave Arafinwë a rap on his head. "Pay attention, Pityahuan," he said not unkindly. "You are not being punished, certainly not by us. You telling the Vanyar about Alqualondë is simply an aspect of your role as Noldóran. Ingwë, when he is found, has the right to hear it from a fellow king and not from a lesser being."

"Besides which," Lord Manwë added, "You are a witness to what happened. You can give a more truthful account than someone who has only heard rumors."

"I wonder what Ingwë will say when he finds out what we Noldor did?" Arafinwë asked in a small voice.

Nienna, who had remained quiet throughout, now leaned over and squeezed Arafinwë’s arm. "You Noldor have done nothing," she said, emphasizing the pronoun. "Those who remained behind and those who returned with you are not to blame for what happened, though it is right that your people offer reparation to Olwë for the depredation. It will take some time for the Teleri to recover, not only physically, but emotionally and even spiritually, as well."

"I don’t know if they will ever forgive us," Arafinwë said morosely.

"Forgiveness will be neither swift nor easy, but it will come," Lord Manwë said calmly, "if you work at it. You already have Olwë’s forgiveness and that’s a start. What Ingwë will say about it remains to be seen."

"Where is Ingwë, anyway, and have Elindis and Indil been found?" Arafinwë asked. "I never really cared for Ingoldo, though I’ve always striven to be polite with him and Tinwetariel for the family’s sake, but I cannot believe he’s done what he has. It makes no sense."

"To you, perhaps," Námo said, "but to Ingoldo, it makes perfect sense: if he has Elindis and Indil, he has Ingalaurë and that’s what he wants more than anything."

"Ingil was correct, though. Ingoldo should have taken the crown outright instead of all this... this subterfuge," Arafinwë replied with a shake of his head. Then he gave Lord Manwë a considering look. "I notice you haven’t answered my questions."

Manwë cast him an amused look. "Nor will I, at least not directly, except to say that Ingwë, Elindis and Indil are all safe, if not entirely happy with their circumstances."

"So Ingalaurë hasn’t found them," Arafinwë said with a frown.

"Not yet, but soon," Nienna replied with a slight smile. "Vanyamar is just large enough that it is taking some time to scour it from attic to cellar. But fear not! The ellith will be found."

"In the meantime, I think we should continue our narrative and tell you what has been happening with Ingwion," Lord Manwë said.

Arafinwë gave him a disbelieving look. "But you cannot just leave it like that, lord!" he exclaimed. "What about Ingoldo?"

"What about him?" Manwë retorted, lifting an eyebrow.

"Has Ingalaurë not been able to convince him to cooperate, or that guard of his, what’s-his-name, Tulcaner?"

"Tulcaner actually knows nothing of the ellith’s whereabouts," Manwë answered. "At the moment he is still locked up, though he has been moved to more congenial quarters. Ingalaurë is being rather clever. He has identified all those who joined with Ingoldo, whether noble or commoner, and has had them arrested. He’s set aside a wing of the palace where they are being kept."

"Hmmm...." Arafinwë said. "And what does he plan to do with them?"

"At the moment, nothing," Manwë replied. "He has appointed the royal magistracy to question each person and determine if they truly joined with Ingoldo or did so out of fear for themselves or their families."

Arafinwë gave them a sardonic grin. "And if these people are smart enough, they will convince the judges that they were coerced into helping Ingoldo."

Námo shook his head, a faint smile on his lips. "That would be true if the chief magistrate handling the cases were an Elf."

Arafinwë blinked. "You mean...."

Námo nodded. "Maranwë is presently pretending to be Lord Vardandur, while that worthy ellon is.... um... otherwise occupied."

"What do you mean by that?" Arafinwë asked in alarm.

"Do not fear!" Námo assured him. "Vardandur is quite well. Estë and Irmo are looking after him. When Maranwë is finished with his task, we will implant in Vardandur’s mind all that has seemingly happened to him. He will be unaware that anything is amiss."

"Are you not interfering, though, as you keep insisting you should not?" Arafinwë asked Manwë, giving him a hard look.

"Perhaps, but in this instance, we are merely helping Ingalaurë out," the Elder King replied. "He has enough to contend with as it is. Now, if you are through interrogating us, perhaps we can continue. You need to be on your way to Valmar soon."

Arafinwë gave them a meek look. "Yes, lord," he said.

Manwë chuckled as he leaned over and poured some more wine into Arafinwë’s goblet. "The rest of my telling will not take long. Then you will rest for a few hours before we send you on your way."

"And what will I do when I get to Valmar?" Arafinwë asked.

"What you must," Manwë replied, leaning back in his chair. "I promise you, child, that when you reach the city you will know what you must do. So now, Ingwion. It hasn’t been easy for the poor ellon, or for those with him....."

****

Once Ingwion was rested, he joined the others for a light repast. None of them were sure if it was breakfast or dinner, and none of them cared. They spent the time filling Ingwion in on what they had come up with.

"I called for one of the Maiar," Valandur told him as they sat around the table eating, "and ascertained that there are few paths off the mountain other than the main road, but on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge where the path widens into a kind of courtyard, there is a path on the right that will take us down to the plain north of the farmland. I was told that, walking, it will take about three hours or so."

Ingwion nodded his understanding. "That sounds like our best choice then," he said. "And walking through the farms dressed as we are we will hopefully not draw too much attention."

"Yet, how do we explain why we are coming to the city from such an unusual direction?" Arminas asked.

Eccaldamos smiled. "I know someone whose farm is one of the farthest from the city, off to the northwest. I can bring us to him and when he and his family go to the city on market day we can accompany them, see these two on their way and then continue to Eldamas. We’ll be in a crowd and will be less noticeable, especially dressed as we are."

"Is this farmer trustworthy?" Valandur asked.

Eccaldamos’ smile broadened and his eyes brightened with amusement. "I should hope so," he said with a laugh. "The farmer is my own atar."

There were appreciative smiles all around and Ingwion agreed to the plan, stating he was ready to leave as soon as they could gather supplies. "I don’t want to linger any longer than I need to," he said and the others agreed.

Giving Indis and Findis their farewells and promises to send word as soon as Ingwë was found, the others set off. Ingwion was glad that they encountered no Maiar as they left Ilmarin. "And I have no desire to see any of the Valar at this time either," he confided to Valandur as the ellon walked beside him.

Valandur gave him a piercing look. "Do not let your frustration and bitterness get the better of you, Ingwi," the loremaster said. "It is disappointing that the Valar will not help us as we would wish, but at the same time, I’m almost glad they have declined to do so."

"Why?" Ingwion asked in surprise.

"Because I do not like the idea of always running to them for help," Valandur answered.

"Hardly running," Ingwion retorted with a grimace. "And does my family’s loyalty to them count for nothing?"

"I think it counts for much," Valandur stated, "but at the same time, do you really want all the answers handed to you? Yes, it would make things simpler if they just told us where Ingwë is and if they lent us a host of Maiar to rescue him and retake the city, but then, in the end, who has done the rescuing, us or them?"

Ingwion’s brow furrowed in thought as he contemplated Valandur’s words and finally nodded. "You’re right," he said. "I would rather have the satisfaction of finding Atar and rescuing Ammë and my sibilings on my own."

"Hardly on your own," Valandur said with a smile. "You have us to help."

"And grateful I am for it," Ingwion said fervently.

When they crossed the Rainbow Bridge they found the path easily enough. "You know, in all the years I’ve come this way, I don’t think I’ve ever noticed this path," Ingwion remarked.

"Perhaps because you never needed to until now," Arminas suggested somewhat flippantly, but Ingwion took him seriously and nodded.

"Perhaps you are correct, my friend," he said.

None of them saw Olórin, who was easily following them, smile.

****

Once down on the plain Eccaldamos led them southwest through a forested area that appeared as if it had been carefully cultivated, for the trees were evenly spaced and there was little in the way of underbrush. "My atar, besides farming, is also a forester," Eccaldamos told them. "He and some others harvest the wood that is sold to the city for fuel and lumber for the carpenters. We’re walking through a part of his... er... ‘crop’."

"The wood has to come from somewhere," Ingwion stated with a sly smile and Eccaldamos laughed along with the others.

When they came upon the farm, Eccaldamos asked them to wait inside the forest until he had spoken with his atar and learned what was happening and Ingwion agreed. It was not long, though, before Eccaldamos returned with an older ellon.

"This is my atar, Cemellindo," he said, introducing everyone.

"Welcome, Highness," Cemellindo said, giving him a bow. "Glad I am to know that you, at least, are free."

The ellon’s obvious warmth and sincerity as he greeted them and his clear and steady gaze heartened Ingwion and he gave Cemellindo a respectful bow. "And glad I am that Eccaldamos has such an atar as yourself," he said.

Cemellindo smiled while Eccaldamos actually blushed. "Come," the farmer said. "We should not linger here. My farm is remote enough that it is unlikely any will know of your presence, but we should not take any chances."

Ingwion agreed and in a short while they were crossing the courtyard of the farmhouse. Cemellindo led them into the kitchen which appeared to be the main room of the house, for it was a large open area with the kitchen at one end and a sitting area at the other with a solid oak table and chairs in the middle. The rafters were hung with ropes of onions and garlic and swags of different dried herbs, giving the place a warm, homey feeling to it. There was an elleth waiting for them and Ingwion suspected it was Eccaldamos’ amillë, for the family resemblance was obvious.

Ingwion’s suspicion was proved correct when Eccaldamos went to her and hugged her, softly calling her "Emya". She kissed him gently and he turned to the others to make the introductions. "This is my amillë, Elellindë," he said as he named his companions.

Elellindë smiled at them warmly. "Be welcome to our home," she said simply, gesturing towards the table. "Sit, sit, and I will bring you something to eat while this one," here she playfully reached up and tugged on Eccaldamos’ braid, "explains what mess he’s gotten himself into this time."

"Emmë," the ellon said with an embarrassed look.

Ingwion and the others smiled in amusement. "Thank you, my lady, for your hospitality," he said with a bow.

Elellindë made a dismissing gesture. "Sit," she ordered again as she returned to the kitchen to stir something simmering on the stove. "I will have the meal ready in a few minutes."

With that, Cemellindo gestured for them to sit while he asked Eccaldamos to bring some wine from the cellar, which the ellon did. Soon, they were enjoying a light vintage while Eccaldamos, with Ingwion’s permission, filled his parents in on all that had happened of late. Some of it they already knew, but not all and there was much shaking of heads and sounds of dismay from them both.

When Eccaldamos reached the part of his narrative where he described their coming to Ilmarin, Ingwion then told them about his audience with the Valar and what followed. Silence settled among them for a while, then Cemellindo stirred, shaking his head.

"A sorry business," he said.

"But in the meantime, we will eat and put aside all worries until afterwards," Elellindë said firmly, even as she began bringing dishes to the table. Without prompting, Tulcafindil and Marilla both offered to help and soon they were all seated, enjoying the venison pie and fresh vegetables. During the meal the conversation centered around the doings of Eccaldamos’ siblings, most of whom had farms of their own, though one sister was married and lived in Eldamas. Only Eccaldamos, who turned out to be the second-born child of the family, resided in Vanyamar.

"While you and your atto were fetching the others, I sent word to your brother, Laurefassë, that he and his family should not join us for the daymeal as they had planned," Elellindë told them. "The fewer people who know about you being here, the better."

"What did you tell him, though?" Eccaldamos asked. "Laurë’s no fool. He’ll know something is up."

"I told him that your atto and I needed some time to ourselves," Elellindë said somewhat primly. "And that’s only true. As soon as we get rid of you lot, we’ll be looking after ourselves."

Ingwion, Valandur and Arminas laughed at the embarrassed look both Eccaldamos and Cemellindo had on their faces. Tulcafindil and Marilla exchanged shy glances and smiles. Ingwion, seeing them, suspected that the youngsters were coming to their own understanding and rejoiced that even in these dark and troubling times, love managed to find a way into people’s hearts.

By now the meal was ended and while Marilla and Elellindë cleared the table, Cemellindo went to build up the fire in the fireplace. "With no light from the Trees, it’s gotten cooler than we are used," he said, "though it appears as if the crops are still growing and the animals do not suffer unduly."

"For which we may be thankful," Elellindë said from the kitchen as she handed a dishrag to Tulcafindil so he could wash down the table.

The others gathered around the fireplace with their wine and Cemellindo asked them what their plans were. Ingwion explained what had been decided.

Cemellindo nodded. "It sounds like a reasonable plan," he said. "Finding the High King is of paramount importance and going to Eldamas where he was last seen certainly makes sense. It’s obvious your atar never made it to Vanyamar."

"In the meantime, I want to send Tulcafindil and Marilla back into the city to gather what news they can about the fate of my amillë, Ingalaurë, Indil and Lord Tamurilon."

"There is only one hitch," Cemellindo said with a grimace. "The gates of the city have been closed since your escape and the queen’s capture. There has been no traffic either in or out of Vanyamar since and it appears that Ingoldo is not in the mood to open them any time soon."

"He’s probably thinking you’re still in the city somewhere and wants to find you," Valandur offered.

"And in the meantime, my produce is going to ruin because I cannot enter the city to sell them at the market," Cemellindo complained bitterly.

"You’re not the only one, dear," Elellindë retorted mildly. "All the other farmers are suffering as well, and then the poor people in the city will not be eating anything fresh for a time if the gates don’t open soon."

"So does that mean Marilla and I can go with you to Eldamas?" Tulcafindil asked with a hopeful look.

Ingwion knew that neither was entirely happy with the prospect of returning to the city; both preferred to come with him and the others. He shook his head. "Your mission is no less important than ours. I need the intelligence you can gather."

"But if the city is closed...." Tulcafindil began to protest but Eccaldamos cut him off.

"Ingoldo will not keep the gates closed forever," he said. "He is not in such a position that he can ignore the demands of the populace. Eventually he will have to allow access, for the people will not tolerate these conditions for too long. When the gates are reopened, you need to be ready."

Ingwion nodded and was about to comment further when the outside door flew open and everyone rose in surprise and shock. Ingwion reached for his knife but Eccaldamos leaped over his chair and ran to the person standing at the doorway, giving her a hug.

"Tyenya!" he exclaimed. "What are you doing here?" Before the elleth had a chance to reply, he turned to the others. "This is Vánamelda, the daughter of my brother, Laurefassë, who has the next farm over." He started to introduce Ingwion and the others, but the elleth shook her head in frustration and interrupted him.

"Uncle! There’s no time," she exclaimed. "You and your friends need to leave now. Guards have been seen searching the farms for you. They are heading this way."

There was a moment of confusion as everyone tried to speak at once, but Ingwion raised his voice in a manner reminiscent of Ingwë. "Silence!" he shouted, and everyone went still, staring at him in surprise. "How far away are they?" he asked Vánamelda.

"They were at the farm nearest to our own," she answered. "Atto sent me to warn you. If you leave now, you should be able to avoid them."

"And go where?" Ingwion demanded. "How thoroughly are they searching, do you know?"

"Very thorough, as far as we can tell," she answered. "One of the ellyn who works on our farm was visiting at the other farm and was there when the guards came. They pretty much ransacked the place and all the outbuildings. He managed to escape their notice and ran back to warn us of what is happening."

"If they are taking one farm at a time, it will be awhile before they get here," Valandur said.

"Even so, we should not linger," Ingwion said with a nod. "The question is, where do we go to avoid them?"

"Back to my place," Vánamelda said. When the others gave her an enquiring look, she nodded. "It was Atto’s suggestion. I can take you the long way around that will avoid the guards who are staying on the road between the various farms. By the time we get home, they will have come and gone."

"And it would never occur to them to recheck the place once they’ve already been there," Eccaldamos said.

"How did you know we were here, though?" Arminas asked, giving Vánamelda a suspicious look.

The elleth merely sniffed. "Atto figured out the real reason why Anammë told us not to come here even though we had planned to come as soon as he heard about the search. Now, are we going to stand here yapping at each other until the guards catch up to us or are we leaving?"

Ingwion couldn’t help smiling at the elleth, whom he suspected was not long out of elflinghood. She had that impatient air of all young adult Elves at the slowness of their elders. He turned to Cemellindo. "Your granddaughter is correct. We need to go. When it is safe, may I send Turcafindil and Marilla back to you?"

The farmer nodded. "We have more room now with the children all flown, so yes, by all means, they are welcome to stay with us until the city reopens."

"And I have no doubt they will be willing to help out on the farm while they are waiting," Ingwion said, giving the two youngsters a knowing look, and they both nodded.

"We’ll be glad to offer what assistance we may," Turcafindil said.

"Good," Ingwion said. "Let us grab our gear and be on our way."

In minutes, he and the others were following young Vánamelda away from the farm as she led them on a circuitous route through the nearby woods in the hope of avoiding Ingoldo’s guards who were even now reaching the farm belonging to Eccaldamos’ older brother.

****

Tyenya: ‘Dear kinsman’, a form of address reserved for relatives and close friends, literally ‘my thou’. This is an attested word.

Vánamalda: Beloved of Vána. 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List