Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Snowfall  by sheraiah


                                                     ~

“Take it easy, there you go,” Gimli said as he settled Legolas' shirt across the elf's shoulders. “I don't think you should bother with your tunic today.”


“No, I agree. It is not worth the effort, especially since I intend to return here to rest after breaking our fast,” Legolas replied with a sigh. “I would not even bother braiding my hair were it not for the fact that I do not want it in my face as I eat.” He offered a wan smile to his dwarven friend. “Thank you for your help, Elvellon.”


“Bah, stop fussing! You'd do the same for me.” He picked up the elf's comb. “Here, sit in front of me and we'll get your hair out of your eyes.”


“You need not go to the trouble of braiding it as I normally do, Gimli. Just do a single braid as Elladan and Elrohir do when they are going into battle.”


“You just don't think I'm capable of doing it as you usually do,” Gimli retorted, humor evident in his tone.


“Nay, I know that you are. It is only that I do not wish to have you go to the trouble only to have to take them out again in an hour or so.” He smiled over his shoulder. “Besides, I am still very hungry.”


“Good. Mam sets as good a table as the hobbits do, and you still haven't gained back everything you lost on the Quest.” He ran the comb through the elf's hair, gently untangling it. “Although how you haven't, I can't figure out. You certainly eat enough, and you aren't fussy about what you eat.”


“Being assigned to patrol the Southern part of the realm is enough to cure anyone of fussiness over food. When you cannot have a fire to cook for weeks at a time and you must constantly keep moving to stay one step ahead of the orcs, you eat whatever is available. After that, you appreciate good food and the effort it takes to prepare it.” He sighed.


“So that's where you gained your skill in foraging?”


“Partly, aye. There was not so much in the way of roots, nuts, or berries in the south of the realm that would be wholesome to eat. I have, at times, lived on grubs and other such things. The worst bread in Arda is a feast by comparison, and such as your mother makes, a gift from the Valar themselves.”


“Well, that's got your hair taken care of.” Gimli dropped Legolas' comb back into the elf's pack. “Let's go eat.”


“You need not say that twice, my friend.” The elf rose, while not with his usual grace at least without using his arms, and grinned at Gimli who shook his head and grinned behind his beard.


“You're going to endear yourself to Mam for life. She loves nothing better than feeding folks who appreciate eating.”


                                                                      ~


“Ah, there they are!” Naris said, smiling at Legolas as he straightened after ducking through the doorway behind Gimli. “Gloin, the tea's on the hearth if you'd bring it to the table for me, please?”


“Of course, my gem.” He lifted the large teapot and placed it on the table before grinning at Legolas. “My wife tells me that you'd have us use no titles with you, so I'd have the same from you in return. You're looking a good sight better than you did when last I saw you, Legolas.”


“I rather think I am feeling better than I was then, however since I do not remember seeing you I could not say for certain,” the elf replied, a hint of mischief in his expression. “Since I do not remember: well met, Gloin.” He bowed with his hand over his heart. “I am very glad to see you well after the battles I was told took place here, however after having fought by your son's side, I am unsurprised to see you thus as he has said that you were his teacher.” Gloin laughed, clapping Legolas on his uninjured shoulder.


“Well said, very well said! Come now, let us break our fast and share tales of what's passed since we last met.” He gestured towards an upholstered stool that sat a bit lower than the other chairs at the table. “This is where Gandalf usually sits when he visits. We thought perhaps it might work as well for you as it does for him.” Legolas sat down, sliding his long legs under the table. The lower seat ensured that his knees did not hit the table and he smiled up at Gloin.


“I would say that it does, thank you.” He surveyed the laden table appreciatively. “Everything looks and smells wonderful, Naris,” he said turning to Gimli's mother. “I think I may have to have some of everything here. I could not choose.”


“Be sure to take some of the fried sausage and onions, lad,” Gimli said, seating himself in the chair next to Legolas. “Better than any we found in Minas Tirith, I can tell you now, although Sam made some that came close to being this good.”


                                                           ~

“I'll never again believe it when I'm told that elves eat like birds,” Naris said with a chuckle as she spooned a second helping of sausage and onions onto Legolas' plate.


“But we do,” he replied with a slight smile. “Birds eat quite a lot for their size.” He took a bite, a look of pleasure crossing his face.


“Well, there's plenty so eat as much as you wish.” She turned to her son. “Gimli, Niri and Tavri say that the south creek is full of mussels and crayfish so we should have plenty for the gather tonight.”


“Good, I'm looking forward to it,” Gimli replied. He turned to Legolas. “It's tradition for each family to hold their own gather a few days before Yule. We started having mussels and crayfish for our gather meal the first year we were back in the mountain since they were so plentiful in the creeks that run in the caverns at the mountain's base.” Legolas smiled.


“We eat them too. I am interested to see how they are prepared here.”

“What are your plans for today, my lad?” Gloin asked.


“Legolas intends to rest some more after we finish breakfast. I'll work some more on the chess set while he rests and then we may take a brief trip up to the stables if he feels up to it before the gather.”


“Nay, Gimli, there is no need for you to remain while I rest. If you have aught you wish to do, you should. I will be fine.” Legolas gave him a slight grin. “I believe I can be trusted to rest without a 'keeper'.” He held up his hands to ward off the scowl the dwarf aimed at him. “Truly, I will be fine. There is no need to restrict your actions on my account.”


“Gimli, why don't you go with your cousins to the south creek? I'll be here today, baking more bread and starting the broth for the mussels. I can keep an ear out for Legolas if he needs anything,” Naris favored the elf with a smile before turning her attention back to her son. “You'll be back just after luncheon, in plenty of time to rest yourself before the gather as Borli will say would be wise.”


“Go ahead, Gimli. I have no wish for you to wait around while I am in reverie when you could be spending time with your family.” He glanced at Gimli's mother, giving her a diffident smile. “As your mother has said: if I need anything she will be here.”


“Very well, if you're sure you don't mind, elf, I'll go.”

“I do not mind. I will be resting most of the day, as I think we all agree that I need to.”


“Just so,” Gimli agreed firmly. “Have you had enough to eat?”


“For now, yes, I believe so.” He turned to Naris with a sweet smile. “Everything was wonderful, Naris, thank you.”


“You're welcome. I'll have some luncheon waiting for you whenever you wake, but if you're hungry either before or after, just let me know. There's always something here for a hungry guest.”


“Thank you, I will not hesitate if that is the case.” He gave her a slightly mischievous grin. “Especially if it includes more of your delicious bread.” Naris laughed.


“I'll make sure it does.”


“Come on, lad, I'll walk you back to your room and get you settled before I leave.” Gimli said, rising from his chair. Legolas nodded in agreement and carefully unfolded himself from his seat.


“Naris, Gloin, I thank you both for the wonderful meal and your hospitality,” Legolas said, bowing slightly from the waist to Gimli's parents.


“Our pleasure, Legolas,” Gloin replied. “Rest well, and I'll see you tonight.”


“Aye, and if you need anything, just call for me. I'll be listening for you,” Naris added, picking up Legolas and Gimli's empty plates.


“Thank you, I will.” Legolas bowed again an ducked through the doorway after Gimli.


                                                            ~


“There's that's got it,” Gimli said, draping the shirt he had just helped Legolas ease over his head over the back of a chair. “Let me take the clasp off your braid and you can lay yourself down. Are you sure you don't mind being on your own today?”


“I am sure.” Legolas sighed and ran his hand through his hair to undo the braid once the clasp was removed. “I will be in a healing sleep again. Do not worry for me.”


“Good enough then, I'll see you later.”


                                                          ~


Gimli entered the kitchen again, rubbing the back of his neck. His mother glanced at him as he entered before turning her attention back to the plates she was washing.


“You're worried about him and it's because of more than what happened yesterday,” she stated. He met her eyes briefly before looking over at Gloin, who sat by the hearth with his pipe.


“Aye, I am.” He sighed, pulling out his pipe and joining his father by the hearth. After filling and lighting his pipe he took a couple of puffs as he considered his words carefully. “Elves don't get ill as such.”


“So we've always been told,” Gloin said, “But Borli is certain there's something going on with him.” He blew a smoke ring. “I'm guessing that'd be that 'Sea Longing' thing you mentioned, yes?”


“Aye. Put simply, Legolas needs to leave Middle Earth and sail to Valinor but he won't, daft, stubborn creature that he is.” He gave his parents a solemn look. “Once an elf hears the call of the sea, they will never again be content to remain here. Only by heeding the call can they receive healing and peace. Legolas doesn't want to leave. He says he has too many things he wants to see and do, and he doesn't want to leave his mortal friends before he has to.” He sighed again. “Nor does he wish to leave his father, and I doubt King Thranduil has any plans to sail.” He frowned, dropping his chin to his chest for a moment before continuing. “So, aye, I worry about him.”


“It seems to me that you've taken on the role of a brother to him,” Gloin commented, emptying the bowl of his pipe into the fireplace.


“As he has to me,” Gimli confirmed.


“Also seems to me that he's perhaps been a bit sheltered up to when he left Rivendell last year.”


“Aye, somewhat, mostly due to his duties to the realm.”


“And perhaps his age, or lack thereof?” Naris asked with a slight smile.


“Aye, right again.” Gimli gave a dry chuckle. “As elves go, Legolas is barely out of swaddling. However, you needn't tell him I phrased it quite that way. I've no wish to be left hanging by my feet from a tree.” Gloin chuckled.


“So you're saying he's responsible for the state Master Aragorn, or I should say King Elessar, was in the morning I left Rivendell for home?”


“No, that was Master Elrond's sons' doing, not Legolas'. And you didn't see Legolas that morning because he was in worse shape than Aragorn.” Gimli laughed outright. “As he tells it, the twins were paying both Legolas and Aragorn back for something that happened twenty years ago.”


“So, you decided to bring him here to distract him from what this 'Sea Longing' is doing to him and to raise his spirits, yes?” Naris asked, drying off the last plate and drying her hands before coming to sit next to her husband.


“Got it in one, Mam.”


“And his father gave his leave because he's hoping for the same thing, I'd hazard to guess.” Gloin chewed on the stem of his unlit pipe.


“Aye, that's what I'm thinking,” Gimli agreed. “Anyone can say what they wish about King Thranduil on other subjects, but he loves that lad and he's a good father to him.”


“Well, what can we do to help?” Naris asked.


“Just treat him like you would me, Tavri, or Niri. Legolas is a bit shy around people he doesn't know at first, particularly females I've noted, but he loves being fussed over, though he'd sooner fall on those knives of his than admit it.”


“From what I've seen of him thus far, it won't be difficult to do that. Don't worry, love, we'll see to him.”

“Thank you, Mam.” He rose. “I'd best go find Niri and Tavri before they leave.”

                                                                   ~


Legolas rolled onto his back, blinking, disoriented for a moment by the unfamiliar ceiling above him but relaxing when he remembered where he was. A slight sound reached his ear and he turned his head to see a very small dwarf standing a couple of feet away, staring at him in fascination. The child appeared female to him, and would stand just barely over his knee were he on his feet.


"Hello, little one," he said, smiling. Really, he thought, she was rather cute.


"I'm not the little one, that's Norlin," she stated, frowning.


"I ask your pardon, I have not met Norlin so I knew no better." He fought to hide his amusement.


"Mam said that you're an elf." Evidently, she had forgiven him his error.


"Yes, I am. My name is Legolas." Again, he fought to hide his amusement as she struggled to pronounce his name. "You may call me 'Leaf' if it is easier for you to say."


"How come?"


"Because that is what my name means in my tongue: Green Leaf."


"Oh. I'll call you Green Leaf. Mam says I have to call folks by their proper names."


"Very well, I would not wish to argue with your mother. It would be rude." He sat up, slowly so as not to startle her, but she appeared to be fearless and moved to stand directly in front of him. "May I have the honor of knowing your name?"


"I'm Nalis. How come your ears is pointy?"


"I am an elf." He could not resist chuckling, but she was too interested in examining him to take offense.


"You gots pretty hair, I like it."


"Thank you, so do you. I like it." He grinned as she looked down at the end of her red braid and back up at him.


"Mam said don't wake you up, but I didn't did I? Your eyes was open."


"I was asleep, but your mother does not need to know that. Elves sleep with their eyes open most of the time."


"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," she said, chewing on her lower lip.


"It is all right, Nalis. Your mother will not find out from me."


"Do you really sleep with your eyes open?"


"Yes."


"Do you gots a daughter?"


"No, I am not so fortunate as that."


"Oh. Do you gots a son?"


"No, I have no children, nor a wife."


"Oh." She looked him over minutely again before sitting down in his lap. "I like you," she said with an air of satisfaction. He could not resist chuckling.


"Thank you, I like you as well. Shall we be friends, do you think?"


"Yes," she said, snuggling close. "Can I put gems in your hair? Cousin Gimli lets me put them in his sometimes."


"Perhaps." He grinned down at her, tucking that information away until he could use it well. "I usually do not wear gems."


"It would be very pretty," she said smiling winningly up at him.


Just then the door opened and Narin fixed a less than pleased look on the dwarfling.


"Nalis, you were told not to wake your cousin's guest." The dwarfling buried her face in Legolas' chest and against his better judgment, he could not help but intercede on her behalf.


"Peace, Narin, the child did not disturb me." He smiled down at the top of her head. "In fact, I am completely charmed." The child peeked at him before turning to her mother with a grin.


"This is Green Leaf. He's nice, and he gots pointed ears and pretty hair and I'm going to put gems in it for him 'cause he doesn't know how to," she stated. Legolas had to bite his lip to keep from laughing.


"Nalis, quit being a pest," another voice came from beyond Narin. "Besides, you'll end up with boils if you mess with an elf's hair." Narin turned as swiftly as lightening and dealt a sharp slap to the back of the head of a dwarfling that stood shoulder high on her.


"Torin, that's utter nonsense and rude to boot! You owe Master Legolas an apology. He's going to think your wits lacking if you keep spouting that rot." The male dwarfling muttered an apology and Legolas readily gave his pardon.


"Truly, I think there is plenty of nonsense told of both elves and dwarves. It is forgotten already." He eased Nalis out of his lap and set her on her feet. "Have I slept long? It is difficult for me to tell what time of day it is unless I am closer to the trees and sky."


"Some few hours, and I dare say you needed it. The gather won't start for few hours yet. You should come to the kitchen and have something to eat. Gimli's off with my brothers still, but Aunt's been keeping an ear out for you since they left and I know she saved a couple of tarts aside for you since Gimli said you were fond of them."


"Is there one for me?" Nalis asked, her little face hopeful. Her mother's mouth quirked in amusement.


"You've had one, can't you wait until the gather for more?" Both dwarflings shook their heads.


"Worry not, I will share," Legolas said, grinning, "Tarts always taste better when they are shared."


"Come along with you two and leave him in peace," Narin said, herding her older two children ahead of her. As the door closed, Legolas heard Nalis' voice pipe up.


"Torin, you told me tarts always tasted better stolen!"


The elf fell over laughing.

                                                                ~

Naris looked up to see Legolas duck under the lintel.


"Did you sleep well?"


"Yes, thank you." He smiled a bit shyly, seeming to Naris to be unsure of himself outside Gimli's company.


"You look better, rested. Are you hungry?"


"A bit." He gave Narin, who stood by the hearth minding a large pot, a brief smile.


"Come sit by me, Green Leaf!" Nalis called. She and her brother were sitting at the table and she was kicking her diminutive heels, which did not reach the ground, against the chair. She had crumbs in the downy curls on her upper lip and chin, and a smear of something that looked suspiciously like tart filling on her cheekbone.


"I see that there was a tart for you after all," he commented, grinning at her. She grinned back.


"Aunt saved us two," she said smugly. "Mam says you don't have to share with us now, but if you can't eat all of yours, I'll help you finish them."


"I think, perhaps, it would be better if we heeded your mother. After all, eating too many tarts would make our bellies ache and there will be too many good things to eat and too many things to see and do at the gather that we would not wish to miss because of a belly ache," he pointed out, stifling the grin that threatened to cross his face. She cocked her head, clearly mulling his words over before nodding and turning her attention to the contents of the cup in front of her. Her brother rolled his eyes and grimaced when this action drew a frown from their mother. Legolas, greatly amused by both children, pretended not to notice as he carefully arranged himself into the chair between the dwarflings. Naris set a steaming bowl in front of him along with a plate of cheese and bread and a mug of what smelled like cider.


"There's more soup if you want it after you've finished that," she said, the pat she gave him on his good shoulder prompting a quizzical look that shifted into a slight smile.


"Aunt makes the bestest soup, Green Leaf," Nalis opined, setting her now empty cup aside.


"And the best bread," he said, leaning close to her. "I have never had better, but please do not tell Menellion, the elf who bakes bread at my home, should you ever meet him."


"I won't, I promise," she replied in a loud whisper. He had to bite his lip to stifle his chuckles.


"Nalis, Torin, bid your aunt and Master Legolas good-bye, please. We've got to get you and the baby bathed and dressed for the gather, and your Da needs to be there early to help with the ale." Narin began to shoo the dwarflings to the door.


"Good-bye, Aunt, Master Legolas."


"Good-bye, Aunt! Sit by me at the feast, Green Leaf!"


"I will see you both later," Narin said, laughing at her daughter's antics.


"I look forward to seeing all of you later, Mistress Narin." Legolas waved to Nalis, and grinning, turned his attention to his soup.


                                                 ~

"I'm almost afraid to ask, knowing my grand niece,  but 'Green Leaf'?" Naris slipped into the chair opposite the elf.


"Nalis finds it difficult to say 'Legolas'. 'Green Leaf' is what 'Legolas' translates to in the Common Tongue," he explained, glancing at her diffidently. "The soup is very good."


"I'm glad you like it. Gimli said you weren't fussy about your food."


"I have spent much time away from home in areas of the Realm where having a cooking fire would be disastrous and have had to survive on waybread and dried fruit in the better times, less savory things in harder times. It has given me a much greater appreciation for meals and those who prepare them."


"That's no bad thing for anyone to have, especially a king's son."


"My father said the same, and I agree with you both." They were both silent while Legolas finished his meal and Naris, her mug of cider.


"Gimli is worried about you," Naris said, watching the elf out of the corner of her eye.


"I know," he replied softly, his eyes on his bowl. "He aids me far more than he could ever know."


"It isn't one-sided, lad. You do as much for him, though it's not his way to say so."


"He need not say it. What is, is. We have no need to speak of it between ourselves." Naris could almost see him retreating into himself and she reached out, placing her hand over his. Startled gray eyes met hers and she smiled at him.


"Aye, there's a lot to be said for that. Silence can heal as much as words can hurt sometimes." She gave the long-fingered hand a pat. "The fact that Gimli's claimed you as a brother is enough for me. His judgment's always been sound when it comes to seeing others for what they are." His gaze sharpened.


"I think perhaps that Gimli is not the only one who sees beyond the surface clearly."


"Perhaps." She rose, taking his bowl and refilling it before setting it in front of him again. "You're a good lad, Legolas, and I'm glad that you're there watching my Gimli's back."


"Thank you." He nibbled on a piece of cheese absently before speaking again. "Gimli has spoken of you often, but you are not what I expected." A faint hint of color rose in his cheeks. "I did not expect you to accept me so readily. Forgive me, I underestimated you."


"Nothing to forgive," she said, shrugging. "I expect you hadn't met a female dwarf before you came here. There's no way you could have known what we'd do or say." She refilled his mug with cider. "Look here, lad, as Gimli's as much as adopted you I can hardly do differently, can I?" She smiled at him and was pleased when he smiled back.


"I suppose not, else he would be upset with both of us," he replied with a chuckle.


"Can't have that," she agreed, chuckling herself. "Now, how about those tarts that my grand niece was telling you about, hmm?"


                                                       ~

Gimli and Gloin paused at the entrance to the kitchen, hearing both Naris' throaty chuckles and Legolas' musical laughter. Gimli grinned at his father.


"Sounds like they've gotten on well while we've been gone," he commented. If anyone could get Legolas to unburden himself, his mother could. After all, fundamentally, young males were young males, it mattered little what race they were, and Naris had been mothering Gimli and his various cousins for decades. As adept as she was at getting Gimli, who was notoriously close-mouthed and stubborn, to speak of his troubles the elf should pose little challenge. Gloin nodded.


"Aye, you know your Mam." He pushed to door open and entered, Gimli at his heels.


Legolas was sitting cross-legged on the floor by the hearth, mug of cider in his hand. Gimli noted with no little relief that he looked much more rested than he had that morning and that the polite, cool, reserved mask that the elf usually wore in company he was not familiar with was nowhere to be seen. Naris sat in the chair she kept by the hearth with her own mug, still chuckling quietly.


"Whose character are you defaming now, elf?" Gimli asked with a wicked grin.


"Aragorn's, of course," Legolas replied, his grin every bit as wicked as Gimli's. "I need not edit my tales of him for your mother as I have had to in times past for his mother and others who would bedevil him if they knew the entire story."


"I suppose this means that you will be editing your stories of my son to me, hmmm?" Naris said, her eyes twinkling with humor.


"Of course," he said grinning up at her. "I do not wish to have him tell unedited tales of me to my father, or Arwen. Fair is fair, after all. Besides, you will have the full tale out of him yourself, unless I am very much mistaken in regards to your abilities, my lady," he stated, raising his cup to her.


"Smart lad," she replied, touching her cup to his before they both drank. Gimli shook his head, laughing.


"So, which tale did you tell?"


"You have heard it; the time when we decided to pay back Elladan and Elrohir for stealing our clothing while we were swimming."


"Ah, yes, that was when you drugged their wine and hung them upside down from the trees in the courtyard wearing nothing but their socks."


"Yes, and we knew that they would not retaliate against Estel alone so we timed it for the night before I was to leave for home. They were just waking as we were riding out. They had to wait twenty years to pay us back."


"Was that why they...?"


"No, that was for my returning the favor while Aragorn could not. Their grave error in that instance was that you caught the brunt of it. They underestimated you, elvellon. Had I suspected what an evil genius you were in regards to revenge, I would have sought your advice with the earlier prank. It would have put an end to it without both of us, and Arod, being covered in fresh pig manure."


"Master Elrond's sons did that?" Gloin's eyebrows were in his hairline.


"Oh, aye, there's been a prank war going on for centuries between those two and Legolas, and for decades with Aragorn in the mix," Gimli replied. "Young elves apparently aren't that different from young dwarves in some things."


"I believe you ended it. They are smart enough to know when to surrender."


"Aye, no one gets to torment you but me," Gimli said, clouting Legolas on his good shoulder lightly.


"I know better than to try anything of the sort with you. I have seen you in action and do not want to be anywhere but on the same side, thank you."


"Smart lad," the three dwarves said in unison. Legolas raised his mug to all of them, laughing.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List