Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

If It's Trewsday It Must Be Buckland...  by Dreamflower

March 24 Challenge:
Write a story or poem or create artwork using one or more animals as symbols, omens, or metaphors. Use associations and meanings from any culture or source you wish (e.g., Celtic, Native American, Biblical).

Does a nursery rhyme from the Shire have a hidden meaning?
 
Counting Crows
 
"They aren't crows," said Pippin.  The Company was on the move again, after having to hide once more from the crebain.

"What? The crebain? No, not exactly.  But there is very little difference when you see them," answered Gandalf.  "They are slightly larger and you never see them alone, they are always in large flocks and fly in patterns that crows do not.  But to one who does not know, they are very like crows."

"So if people didn't know about crebain  they might think they were crows.  Which might explain it-- the not-counting, I mean."

The Big Folk looked puzzled.

"Pippin, that's just a child's game!" said Merry.  "It doesn't really mean anything."

"Well, Mr. Merry," Sam put in, "I know I never count crows.  Just in case you know.  As the Gaffer always says, 'Better safe than sorry!' "

Gimli shook his head as if he were going to regret his question: "What are you hobbits on about?"

"It's a clapping game."  Pippin stopped walking.  "Merry, should we show them?"

"Pippin, I am not going to play a silly child's game!"

Frodo smiled indulgently at his younger cousin.  "It's been a good many years, Pip, but I daresay I could still remember the pattern."  He turned and faced Pippin, palms out.

Pippin nodded and put his hands out similarly, and began to recite, and as he did, he and Frodo began to clap in a pattern, clapping one another's hands and their own:

"One for Robin-red-breast, the messenger of spring.
Two is for the Throstle, who will very sweetly sing.
Three is for the Cuckoo, a very sneaky bird.
Four is for the Sparrow, who never says a word.
Five is for the Raven so very, very wise.
Six is for the Skylark, see how high she flies.
Seven for the Magpie, a very cunning thief.
Eight is for the Swan who is silent in her grief.
Nine for the faithful Dove and his lovely bride.
Ten for the Hawk, if you see him you must hide!
But never, never, never, never, never count a Crow!
For if you should count them, bad luck you will know!
If you see but one Crow, don't be afraid of him,
But if there are many then turn away from them.
'Cause you must never, never, never, never, never count a Crow!
 For if you should count them, bad luck you will know!"

The two began slowly enough, and gradually picked up speed, not missing a beat until Pippin was nearly finished, when his right hand failed to connect with Frodo's left.

Frodo laughed. "I've not thought of that in years!  I think we did very well all things considered!"

Boromir nodded.  "Children in Gondor sometimes play such games, though I have never heard a rhyme about counting crows before."

"Yes," added Legolas, "I recall such games from my own childhood, though I have never heard that one before."

"But see," said Pippin earnestly, "if folks thought that crows and  crebain were the same, then they'd learn it wasn't very good luck to stop and count them!"

Merry rolled his eyes, but Aragorn nodded thoughtfully.  "Oft times there are reasons behind the doggerel of children.  It is a possiblity."

"Well, let us continue," said Gandalf, "if we have quite finished playing!"
 
 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List