Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Settling In  by Ellie

Thanks to Fiondil for the beta.

Written for the ALEC Warm Feelings challenge where it won first and last in its category.

This month's challenge is to explore the many ways warm feelings both can be expressed and influence the lives of loved ones both near and far.  

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

She leaned back against his chest, snuggling into the spot seemingly made just for her. Humming an ancient lullaby, he wrapped his arms around her and nuzzled her golden hair until his chin came to rest on her shoulder. The fire danced before them heedless of the rhythm of the tune.

“Do you still miss it, Elrohir?” she asked when his humming ceased.

He moved his head against hers in a nod. “Yes, especially today, though the pain lessens with each passing year.”

“I had hoped that bringing you here and watching the rise of Eärendil’s star would comfort you,” she whispered a little disappointed.

“Lotariel, my love,” he replied patiently, “It is going to take me time to adjust and to heal.”

“And let go,” she added.

“And let go,” he agreed.

“You have been here for eight years now,” she gently reminded.

He sighed again, puffing her hair against her cheek. “I hunted orcs with my brother for hundreds of years after my amillë sailed here to heal. Elladan and I needed every bit of that time to cope with our grief and loss. In truth, it was not until little Estel came into our house that we finally healed. Please be patient with me now.”

“I have done all I can think of to make you happy and to make this your home,” she whispered pensively. “I left all I knew in Vanyamar to dwell with you in your atar’s house. Glorfindel helped me to find just the right place for you to view the stars on this night each year for he says the sky here is most like the skies above Imladris. I learned the songs you used to sing. I learned Sindarin. What more can I do?”

He reached over for another piece of wood, tossing it onto the fire. Lotariel instinctively huddled against him as the sparks jumped high into the air. Elrohir smiled in spite of himself, adjusting her in his embrace with his hands coming to rest over the swell of her abdomen.

“I am not complaining, my love,” He kissed the side of her neck. “This has all happened so quickly. I just…”

“What has happened so quickly?”

“Us. Our relationship. Coming here. Coming to Valinor and finding my place in society here so quickly and well…fitting in so readily. I never expected that to happen. I am mortal and elf and a small part maia and yet…I found my place here so easily. And I never ever expected to meet the beautiful granddaughter of a proper, respectable Vanyarin lord and succumb to her so readily and so…so completely.”

Lotariel giggled and kissed his arm as he squeezed her.

“I understand now,” she said, relief clearly evident in her melodious voice. “You feel guilty for finding your peace here. The part of you which misses Imladris, misses Endórë and your life there is angry with the rest of you for what you have here. Speaking as a healer trained by Lord Irmo in Lórien, you need to accept that it is all right for you to be happy and to know joy in spite of the losses you have experienced. From what you and your kin have told me of Estel and Arwen, I think they both would be delighted to know of the life you have here. In fact, they most likely do know of it and your joy.”

Elrohir turned her in his arms, looking into her eyes, his expression grave. “That makes no sense. Of what do you speak?”

She reached up, brushing one of his warrior braids over his shoulder as she put her arms around his neck. “I have worked with many Reborn and many who sailed to Valinor in need of healing. Lord Námo told me that the dead mortals who loved those whom I have treated are at times allowed to glimpse the current lives of their Eldarin loved ones from wherever it is that mortal fëar reside after death. He said that they are aware of the joys and the sorrows both, though they cannot share in them. I believe that Estel and Arwen are even now in some way aware of what you have won for yourself and made and earned for yourself here.”

Many emotions warred for control of him, the ancient sadness in his eyes blending more completely with the newfound joy. He moved his mouth to speak, but no words came out. Lotariel brushed away a lone tear which streaked down his cheek, then kissed him soundly, eliminating his need for speech.

Breathlessly tearing himself away some time later, he pulled her down to lie beside him on his cloak which was already spread beneath them. Silently continuing to meet her gaze, he placed his hand over her womb once again.

“You could name them Estel and Arwen if you like,” she suggested.

He laughed, looking away as his face turned bright red.

She placed her hand on his cheek, turning his face back toward hers. “What do you find so amusing about that? I am serious. I think it would be a beautiful way to honor their memory.”

He gasped as he settled enough to answer her. “I am laughing because I had a similar discussion with Elladan not two days ago and I told him that he should give their names to his twins. Can you imagine how bemused my parents would be if Elladan and I both presented them with Estels and Arwens? Especially if our sons and daughters ended up being anything at all like their namesakes. I do not think that my parents or the house for that matter would survive such an onslaught.”

“I do not think that the names of the children will matter so much once they arrive and turn their grandparents to their own wills.”

Elrohir smiled in amusement, looking into her bright blue eyes until he lost himself in them completely. When he finally returned to himself, he said, “You have given me much to think about tonight. I do feel at home and content, very content here. I have all that I have wanted and believed I would have someday. I guess I just never expected someday to be today. And to think that Estel and Arwen know and approve…that makes it even better.”

“There is hope for you yet, my love,” she whispered, kissing the end of his nose and snuggling closer beside him.

xxxxxxx

Somewhere far away yet near enough to see, the stars twinkled merrily as Estel and Arwen shared a knowing smile and sighed a grateful prayer to Eru for the blessing they witnessed below.

 XXXXXXXXXX

Author's note: I thought Elrohir deserved a happy ending in Valinor after so many fanfic stories show him struggling when he gets to Valinor. Even if he himself was surprised by such a blessing, the poor guy deserves it after the hard life he lived in Middle-earth.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List