Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Creation Song of Ilúvatar  by Fadesintothewest

I DO NOT OWN LEGOLAS. HE IS A CREATION OF THE MASTER TOLKIEN AS ARE MANY OF THE PLACES AND NAMES MENTIONED HERE ON OUT.  THE SONG COMPOSITION OF STAR AND ELF ARE OWNED BY CHATHOL-LINN.  ANYTHING ELSE I OWN- please don’t sue, as am very poor, starving student.

Chapter 6:  Songs and Dance

 

Mithrandir joined in the festivities and was asked to sit at Thranduil’s table.  The aged wizard took his place next to Thranduil.  He groaned as he lowered himself to the floor, “I am too old to be sitting on the ground.  Why do wood elves insist on sitting on the ground.”  Before Thranduil could answer Gandalf continued, “I know, I know, young Thranduil, wood elves love to feel close to Arda!  If you ask me, wood elves could benefit some from Noldorian formality in feasting.” 

Thranduil looked at Gandalf through raised eyebrows, “If I recall correctly, my dear grey pilgrim, the Noldor also have a certain love for lounging on the earth, under the night skies.” 

“Indeed they do,” Gandalf retorted, “but at least they have proper seating awaiting old bones like mine.”  Gandalf finally seated himself after much grumbling and readjusting.

Thranduil looked at his friend, and chuckled softly, “Ah yes, we wood elves would have had proper seating for you if we knew you were coming.  So what shall we serve you dear friend?”

Gandalf, raised his eyebrow as if in deep deliberation, “I think I will have some of the venison, and some of the other worldly dessert-- mm, the one with the citrus cream sauce that so engaged our young Aníralendon.” 

He continued without missing a beat, “Thranduil, your foresight is failing you.  Usually you rightly foretell my arrival to your kingdom.  Something has occupied your mind of late which clouds your vision.”

Thranduil sighed as he motioned for Gandalf’s food to be brought, “As always you speak the truth.  I do not know what it is, but I have felt some presence that I have not known before.  It seems insignificant but its energy is frightfully curious.  Do you know what this may mean?  I can only fathom this is the reason behind your gracious appearance on this eve.”

Gandalf glanced over to Thranduil, a knowing light shimmering from his eyes which peaked through his bushy eyebrows, “King Thranduil, you speak wisely.  I do know what it is that has caused your trepidation, but let us not speak of it now for it is not a matter of great importance-- at this moment.” 

Gandalf looked back to his food and spoke quietly to himself, “Of course within a few hours it will reveal itself and then we shall see.”  Gandalf chuckled and continued eating his meal.

Thranduil had heard Mithrandir’s last words.  His forehead furrowed in wonder, *Now what did Mithrandir mean by that.  I am alarmed that whatever it is will reveal itself.* 

Thranduil smiled, any time words of such nature had been spoken by Gandalf some sort of merry folly ensued. *At least his words do not forebode any evil or devious deeds.  That is solace enough.*

***

“Sing us a song,” A chorus of voices chanted.

“Yes sing us a song,” Laurenor and Rainiel exclaimed.

The entire feast was calling for its youngest prince to grace them with a song, but the young prince was mockingly denying the requests lauded at him.  The crowd’s chants grew louder and more unified in their requests and so the young prince spoke up, “I will sing a song, first if my siblings agree to join me, and second if all the lights in the trees are dimmed.”

The crowd yelled in agreement and the lights in the trees were suddenly dimmed, leaving only the softly glowing candles on the tables.  The feast was bathed in a magical moon-like glow, and the crowd grew silent in anticipation of the song that would surely be gifted to them.  To have all the children of their King sing would indeed be a treat, and the audience waited excitedly.

Legolas looked at his brother and sister, gracing them with a wickedly innocent smile, “My dear brother and sister, would you please do me the honor of joining me in song this night? “

Rainiel and Laurenor bowed their heads in defeat, and rose from their seats to join Legolas who was already standing besides the large beech tree that the King’s table was placed next to.

Rainiel looked to her father, “Hir nîn , you would honor us by choosing the melody we shall sing tonight.”

Thranduil responded, “I would be honored to do so, but may I make another suggestion?”  Thranduil paused and waited for Rainiel’s consent.  Rainiel nodded her head, and Thranduil continued, “Mithrandir, you have greatly honored us with your presence on this joyous night.  May I ask that you choose this evening’s melody?  We would all be most honoured.” 

Mithrandir answered, “I am the one honoured by such a request and I will delightfully acquiesce.”  The feast exploded in cheers and applause, and quieted down when the wizard was ready to speak.  “The stars and joy of this feast must be celebrated and what better way to do that than to sing a song that tells of a star that fell into these very woods, and walked glowing in the night, and one night perchanced on a wood elf tending to the trees of Greenwood the Great!” 

The crowd responded with a thunderous cheer that declared their delightful approval.  Thranduil raised his hand to quiet the crowd, “Mithrandir, I could not have chosen more beautifully.” 

Turning to his children,  Thranduil spoke softly, “Your voices will grace us this night, and the tale of Êl a Edhel shall let our hearts rejoice in what once was, and what will be.”  Although spoken quietly, all heard Thranduil’s poignant words and settled comfortably in their pillows.

The three siblings began to sing the tale of a sparkling star that fell from the sky and landed in Greenwood the Great, during times that the woods were full of only beauty and love.  The star walked in elven form, wandering the night and blessing the trees in her presence with the healing powers of her luminous aura.  One night she happened upon a wood elf who was singing songs to a group of trees that were huddled about the elf.  The star was startled and struck by the beauty of the elf’s voice.  She was taken by his long dark locks and the fairness of his face, but ultimately she was snared by the elf’s deep eyes.  The wood elf, startled by her light, turned to look upon the sparkling star, and he was thus lost in love for her.

The star and elf, taken by each others brilliance, plighted their love, but it was a love at once beautiful and tragic, for to love his star, the elf had to renounce his earthly form, and be willing to bind himself to the eternal radiance of his star.  The lovers approached each other to seal their union by a first kiss and upon their lips meeting, it is said a bright light burst forth through the trees of Greenwood, lightening the skin of the forest.  The trees, witness to this union, can still be heard whispering the tale.  As the lovers joined, they were engulfed in a bright light that shot up into the skies and there in the folds of the night a bright star was rekindled that can still be seen.  Many tell that the journey was like one of a falling star, but this star did not fall, it rose. (1)

The trio’s voices wove in and out of a wondrous tapestry of harmonies and melodies, complementing each other perfectly as they sang the melancholy verses.   It has been said that on this night, the Valar them selves inclined their heads towards Arda to listen to the beautiful trio of voices sing the wistful elven song:    

 

Êl a Edhel , Star and Elf

 

“In the Greenwood's southern reaches

Stands a grove of golden beeches.

The Enchanted River's waters

Flow beside these woodland daughters.

Violet twilight there entrances;

Wind unfurls the golden branches.

Elves sing underneath the eaves

Of Varda's stars and Arda's leaves.

     ~~~

Oft a minstrel came, a Silvan,

Singing to the trees in Elven

Ann-thennath of stars above.

A Star heard, and fell, in love,

To Middle-earth. "Night is falling!

 - Can you feel my feä calling?

Do you feel the fiery yearning?

Do you see my star heart burning?"

     ~~~

Now the lonely beeches linger,

Pining for their Silvan singer.

Elves and Stars are of a kind

Born to twilight, born to shine.

Elf and Star are now, forever,

High above the trees, together.

Elven-Star now shine as one,

East of the Moon, West of the Sun.” (2)

~~~

The song echoed at once melancholy and joyful, as are the hearts of elves, and the voices of Thranduil’s children faded as the song came to its end.  Lovers hugged each other desperately, husbands and wives tightened their embrace around one another, mothers and fathers held their children closer, and families looked upon each other with knowing eyes.  For such was the paradox of immortality, to be able to know the greatest of joys because of the knowledge tempered by the deepest of sorrows. 

Thranduil rose and gathered his children in an embrace, and facing his people he spoke, “And although the darkness is ever near, we rejoice in our love for each other.  We were reminded tonight that indeed great sacrifice is needed to sustain love, but that great joys come of it, even if we cannot be sure how this will come to be.  Let us now sing together! ” 

The great crowd gathered burst into the gathering song of the Mirkwood elves, and all joined in raising their wine filled glasses as they sang.  Legolas and Laurenor took up the hearty song and led the elves of Mirkwood in the reverie.  Rainiel and Thranduil followed suit, and soon all of the elves were dancing in a clearing next the seated areas.  Elven minstrels and musicians took up the tune and carried on the merriment with endless song. 

Legolas swept Lotórie off her feet and danced with her in his arms, floating gracefully to the cheerful tunes.  Rainiel and Erutunín and Laurenor and Istawen found each other amidst the dancing crowds and danced the night away.  Lotórie managed to wriggle herself out expertly of Legolas’ arms and ran over to Thranduil who also swept her up in his arms in a dance.  Legolas went over to stand next to Aní who was not dancing.

“Aní, why have you not asked any of the maidens who so eagerly look up on you to dance,” Legolas chided.

“For the same reason that you do not Legolas.” Aní received a slight poke in his ribs from his uncle.  “Look over there, see?  All those maidens have only eyes for you my fair prince.”

“That may be true but I spy many a maiden looking dreamily at you and with good reason, you are within marrying age, are you not.  I myself am a ripe old bachelor, way past the marrying age.  I think that any hopes of being my wife have long past.”

“That may be true Legolas, but I can assure you that any of these maidens would be content with one night of thrills!  Uncle Laurenor was certainly right in pointing out your passionate past time, “ Aní added mischievously.

Legolas laughed heartily, “Aní, quiet and elusive you may appear to be, but I have begun to hear stories of how you have managed to use your feigned  detachment to entangle maidens in games of mutual consent.  In fact, one young maiden told me so herself.  She thoroughly enjoys the escapades you both engage in.”  

Aní’s fist flew to punch his uncle in the arm, but Legolas swiftly maneuvered himself out of the way and grabbed the hand of nearby elf maiden.  “Touché, Aní!  And might I add, as always follow in my lead, it will prove most fruitful.”   As Legolas whisked the blushing elf away in dance, he winked devilishly at his nephew.

Aní threw his arms up in the air in his accustomed manner, then turned from one side to the other, hoping that no one would be looking his way.  To his sweet disappointment he glanced directly at an attractive elf maiden.  He walked over to her and bowed his head slightly.  With a charming smile he asked, “Hiril nîn , will you do me the honor?”  The maiden nodded happily and before she knew it she too was off dancing the night away with a most sought after dance partner.

Mithrandir sat on a comfortable chair that had been brought out to him, looking amusedly upon the festivities.  He had been moved by Thranduil’s children’s rendition of Êl a Edhel, the poignancy of the tale not lost on his long years.  And in an instant the bitter sweetness of the song was transformed into the grandest of merriment.   Mithrandir pondered that this was the gift of the Eldar, and that it was especially evident in wood elves.  He dearly loved Thranduil and his people.  He clapped along with the merry tunes and silently thanked the Valar that he was so loved by these wondrous folk. 

*And this is what our hopes rest upon, and this is why we continue to fight for all that is good,*  the wizard mused internally.  He looked out towards the crowd and his gaze fell upon a Vanyarin head of golden hair.  Legolas was dancing merrily and friskily with a  pretty elf, and the wide grins that flashed on their faces spoke volumes.  Mithrandir hooted out loud to no one in particular, “My fair prince, your reputation is solidly earned!!”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  In Tolkien’s world only married elves engage in sex it seems, and only at the certain phase of their marriage.  They then pursue other more ethereal and spiritual pleasures.  (This is based on what I have read of Tolkien and what has been written with respect to elven coitus by other authors who have studied Tolkien’s universe.)  This is one change from the canon I enjoy, so canonical purists (if any are out there reading my little story), please forgive me if my story is AU.  If I was immortal and beautiful I would have to engage in some sort of engaging  merry activity (grins devilishly). 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

(1)  The idea for the song was influenced by the song Legolas sings in The Fellowship of the Ring in the chapter titled “Lothlórien.”  Legolas hears the waters of the Nimrodel of Lothlórien and is inspired to retell the tragic tale of the elven lovers Nimrodel and Amroth through song.

(2)  The song verses were entirely composed by Chathol-linn, a great poet indeed.  I could not have put this song idea to verse as she has so eloquently accomplished.  My hats off to you Chathol-linn, an elven minstrel in human disguise!   

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List