Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Creation Song of Ilúvatar  by Fadesintothewest

Chapter 15: Cloudrunner

Aní found that he was not at all where he had originally intended to be. On his way back to the palace, he had somehow managed to meander on to the stables. He always managed to let his unconscious mind take him where it willed as opposed to his more rational mind. He stood leaning on the fence that surrounded the pastures where the horses were allowed to run free. The area of the pastures was large enough to house separate areas fenced off areas that allowed stallions to run outside at the same time without forcing them to share the spaces.

The young woman’s horse was running about happily and neighed in greeting as he approached his elven friend. Aní had taken it on himself along with Legolas and Lotórie to visit and care for the horse while the young woman was healing, and he feared that during his absence, Lotórie may not have been allowed to come out to tend the horse. From the greeting he received it was obvious that the horse had been tended as his short mane was neatly groomed, and decorated with bows.

*Lotórie has definitely been allowed to care for him,* Aní mused. What Aní did not know is that Lotórie had accompanied Lenmana out to the pastures to visit her horse, and at first, despite not being able to understand one another, Lotórie and Lenmana had been able to share the experience of caring for the horse. As Lenmana’s arm sometimes forced her to stop certain grooming of the horse, Lotórie would gladly take over.

***

Lotórie was the other soul that Lenmana learned to trust, besides Mithrandir, and the time they spent with her horse was revered by Lenmana. The horse was the one creature that had belonged to her world then. At first Lenmana was apprehensive about visiting the horse. She was afraid that she would resent it for reminding her too vividly of her past pains, but when she laid eyes on her steed, the love she felt for her equine companion overwhelmed her.

He was no longer as skinny as she remembered him to be, and his short scraggly mane and tail, although characteristically short, were now healthy and glossy. His greeting overwhelmed Lenmana, and in that moment where he shared his joy on being reunited with his rider, Lenmana felt selfish for harboring any misapprehension towards her horse. She reminded herself that he too suffered, and that he probably was overwhelmed by not being able to see his human companion. The only rider he had known for most of his life, her Cloudrunner.

***

The horse nudged Aní’s shoulder with his muzzle, begging to be petted. Aní laughed and obliged the horse. He heard someone approaching him from behind and greeted his arriving company, “Glad that you could join me.”

Legolas and Lotórie came and stood next to Aní and joined in rubbing the horse’s neck and body vigorously. Cloudrunner simply closed his eyes, and would occasionally let out a content grunt.

“I knew you would be out here,” Legolas spoke to his nephew. “I had the same idea, but there were people I needed to attend to first.” Legolas glanced at his niece who favored him with the sweetest smile possible.

Aní looked over towards Lotórie, and jokingly added, “I know that Lotórie only has room for Legolas in her heart. So I came out here, knowing this creature would surely love me for company.”

Lotórie slapped Aní’s leg with her small hand, “That is not true Aní. You are just jealous that Uncle Legolas does not play games with you like he does with me.”

Legolas and Aní laughed, and Aní replied, “Yes loth nín , you are certainly right. Uncle Legolas never wants to play with me. He only likes to play with *elven maidens.*”

Legolas snorted, easily catching the innuendo in his nephew’s words, and knelt before Lotórie who was now busily looking at her uncles, “ 'T is true my little one, I do prefer the company of ladies, and you Hiril nîn , are my most favorite of all.” He took one of the hands that was petting the horse, and placed a quick kiss on it.

Lotórie giggled, and Aní and Legolas laughed mightily. Cloudrunner, not to be outdone and ignored, let out a shrill neigh, easily catching the attention of his would-be indulgers. The elves continued chatting and resumed rubbing the happy equine’s body. Cloudrunner was delighted, and he would have been in total horse heaven had it not been for the absence of his Lenmana.

“By the way Lotórie, the bows you have used to decorate this steed’s mane are beautiful. They really do make this horse more *handsome*,” Legolas spoke sweetly to his beloved niece.

“I know Uncle Legolas, and Lenmana helped me put them on. We had such a grand time.”

“Lenmana?,” Aní asked.

“You know Aní, the young stranger who arrived here a while back with this horse. I cannot believe you do not remember her.”

“Of course I do, I just did not remember that that was her name,” Aní added while throwing a knowing glance Legolas’ way.

Legolas’ curiosity was peaked, “Is she a kind person?”

“Yes Uncle Legolas, she is *so* kind, and very soft spoken.”

“Soft spoken, do you understand her Lotórie,” Legolas asked, somewhat perplexed by what Lotórie had said.

“Well I did not understand her, nor did she understand me, but we would speak with each other regardless.”

“Oh,” Legolas replied.

As Legolas was going to ask another question, Aní interrupted and asked a question of his cousin instead, “Do you know the name of this horse loth nín ?”

“Yes I do! Mithrandir translated it for me- the name in Lenmana’s tongue is too difficult to pronounce.” Lotórie looked lovingly into the horses eyes, “His name is Cloudrunner, and he knows it - see?!”

As Lotórie mentioned his name, the horse lowered its head towards her and muzzled her cheeks with a wet horse kiss.

“Another of Mithrandir’s miracles, no doubt,” Legolas happily replied, but as he looked at the seen of merriment, he felt a tinge of sorrow creep around the edges of his heart. *Naneth, how I wish you were here.*

Aní noticed the change in Legolas’ spirit and reached out his hand, laying it on Legolas’ shoulder. “Will you tell us the story, the one my nana loves to tell, when you decided to impress Daernaneth and her guests?”

Legolas laid his hand on Aní’s, and smiled slightly.

“Yes Uncle Legolas, tell a story about Daernana. I would love to hear it,” Lotórie squealed excitedly.

“Fair enough,” Legolas laughed softly, “I will tell it, but with no interruptions.”

Lotórie and Aní swore not to interrupt their uncle and Legolas began to retell one of the earliest memories he had of Nyére, adding what had been told to him by his sister, Rainiel.

~*~*~

Elrond and Arwen walked with Nyére towards the stables, talking excitedly about the little foal that had been recently born, and was to be given to Legolas in honor of the day of his begetting.

Not only had marrying Nyére improved the relations between LothLórien and Mirkwood, it had also improved the relations between Imladris and Thranduil’s kingdom. In time, many of the disagreements between the elven kingdoms were allowed to come to a rest, although not forgotten, and the lessons learned served all who were involved well. With the sailing of Celebrian to the West, Nyére played an important role in the lives of Elrond and his children; such was the greatness of Nyére’s heart.

“How wonderful it is to have such a small elfling to fuss over,” Arwen added enthusiastically. “Oh Adar, I cannot wait until I have elflings of my very own.”

“But first you must meet someone in order for that story to take place, sell nín ,” Elrond responded rather sarcastically.

“Ada,” Arwen laughed, “I know this! But when I see little Legolas, I feel a certain part of me await such a gift with much anticipation!”

Nyére laughed appreciatively, “Yes Arwen, I do know what you mean, and the time will come for you, as I know that the love that awaits you will be all that you deserve.”

Arwen clasped on to Nyére’s arms, resting her head on the elder elf’s shoulder, “I am content knowing that such beautiful things lay in my future.”

Nyére reached over and planted a soft kiss on Arwen’s cheek, eliciting warm laughter from the younger elf maiden.

Elrond drank in the sight of his daughter basking in the presence of a motherly figure. So many times he had found Arwen crying out in the more secluded gardens of Imladris, missing her mother, missing the words that only mothers can share with daughters. But Arwen never faulted Elrond; she simply had never wanted to deepen her father’s pain, for she knew that Celebrian’s absence also laid heavily on his heart, as it did for all the family.

Nyére and Arwen continued their conversations amidst giggles and laughter, with Elrond silently lending them companionship. The elves finally arrived at the stables and settled themselves along the fence to gaze towards the pastures where several horses were busily playing, eating, and frolicking in their freedom.

“There,” Nyére called out, pointing to a foal that was running about unsteadily on long and lanky legs, “that is the foal that we will give Legolas. Thranduil is most pleased that he is strong and vital.”

“As well he should be Nyére, this horse promises to be a strong and faithful steed. He is curious too,” the Lord of Imladris spoke with authority as he had overseen the breeding of many of his own horses.

The foal in question was busily inspecting a butterfly that was delicately perched on a tree branch. The curious foal nudged at the tree branch, causing the butterfly to take flight into the pasture. The foal ran after his new found friend and discovered a game of chase the butterfly.

To all who watched the scene, they could swear the butterfly was knowingly participating in the game, as it remained in the pasture while the foal held interest in it. The elves laughed at the game of chase, and their laughter increased as the butterfly began fluttering after the foal. But the call from the foal’s mother reminded the little sapling that he was hungry and he ran over to his mother to suckle her warm milk. The butterfly, tired of the game as well, re-deposited herself on the tree branch she had been shaken from.

“Legolas loves horses so much. He can spend hours watching and playing with them,” Nyére informed her company.

“But are you not afraid they may inadvertently hurt him,” Arwen asked with serious concern.

Nyére threw her hands up in the air, “Ai, yes at first I was terrified, but soon I learned that the horses more than tolerate him, they love him! They actually take care of him, and keep him from places they think he should not be.” She shook her head incredulously, “Thranduil tells me that I should be thankful for I have a host of four-legged caretakers.”

Arwen and Elrond laughed whole heartedly, and Elrond added, “I can imagine Thranduil saying that to you.”

“That would be something my Adar would say.”

“Rainiel! I am so glad you decided to join us,” Arwen exclaimed.

“My father tried to keep me busy with *duties* but I managed to escape him this day,” Rainiel merrily responded.

Elrond’s eyebrows furrowed in concern, but Nyére iterated his thoughts, “Rainiel, you always push your Adar. One day he will not be so understanding.”

Arwen looked at her father and added coyly, “But Thranduil will most certainly not reprimand Rainiel for coming out to join my father and I. In fact she is only acting like a gracious hostess. I do believe King Thranduil finds Rainiel’s maneuverings to be more amusing than infuriating. Isn’t this right Ada?” Arwen batted her eyelashes innocently at her father and wore the sweetest smile imaginable.

Rainiel herself nodded her head in agreement with Arwen, allowing a sweet and innocent smile to grace her face.

“These children are incorrigible, but I think they have a point,” Elrond added through a sigh, turning to respond to an elf approaching the gathering.

“I have to agree with you Elrond, our daughters know only too well that we are mercilessly at their disposal,” Thranduil countered.

Rainiel and Arwen glanced at each other, then at Nyére, and finally ran to hug their fathers who waited for them with warm embraces.

Elrond added wryly, “This does not bode well for the fate of middle earth.”

The group of elves broke into a carefree laughter, and continued in conversation and jest for a time before they were interrupted by an unexpected visitor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List