Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Scholarly Pursuits  by Antane

For my dear harrowcat's birthday

One Lucky Hobbit: The Spiritual Journey of Bilbo Baggins

The Hobbit may appear on the surface merely a children’s story, but to those with deeper sight, it is much more. What happens in it has a profound effect on the events that follow decades later, and it is through Bilbo’s cooperation with grace that helps many things to unfold as they do. As Katharyn Crabbe noted in an essay about the tale, “Both God and man have a hand in shaping all that happens: God through the medium of grace, which Tolkien calls ‘luck,’ and man through his physical and rational excellences, bravery and sense, which, at their best, represent the God-like in man” (“Nature” 57). Crabbe means for this to apply also to a particular hobbit, but how does this all come to pass to become the great adventure of Bilbo’s life?

During Gandalf’s recounting of his search for a way to defeat Smaug, which he tells in the unfinished tale “The Quest of Erebor,” he speaks of his hope of meeting again with the hobbit who had impressed him during his last visit to the Shire years before. Bilbo had not yet come of age then and was curious about the outside world. After the wizard returns in the spring of 1341, he hears reports that the eccentric hobbit often travels and has gone off yet again. A plan forms in Gandalf’s mind. He knows that Bilbo, though a throughly conventional Baggins, also has a strong streak of Took and shares their unrespectable taste for adventure. From what Gandalf hears and his own memories, Bilbo appears an ideal candidate to help defeat the dragon.

Gandalf admits in his recollections that he later thought it a mistake not to check with Bilbo personally first. The fact that the hobbit just happens to be away at the time, however, is meant to be, for the cloaked Maia could have sought elsewhere if he found out earlier that Bilbo had changed. But anyone other than this particular hobbit would have proved ruinous, for a Power beside Gandalf had selected him, as the wizards hints. “‘I dare say he was ‘chosen’ and I was only chosen to choose him,’” (“Erebor” 331).

All Gandalf had to do was convince Bilbo himself. Though the hobbit makes it perfectly clear he is not at all interested in having any adventures, the wizard is not put off and returns later with the dwarves. Bilbo still feels unqualified for and undesirous of what they want to put him up to and insists that some sort of terrible mistake was made. But as the hobbit listens to the dwarves sing of their gold, his Tookish side begins to assert itself, while terror fills his Baggins side so completely he collapses.

Both parts of Bilbo have been aware for some time that he was “chosen and selected” (Hobbit 21) for some great quest, which only now becomes clear. In the “Erebor” narrative, Gandalf gives his hypothesis of why the hobbit chose to remain unmarried. “I guessed that he wanted to remain ‘unattached’ for some reason deep down which he did not understand himself – or would not acknowledge, for it alarmed him. He wanted, all the same, to be free to go when the chance came, or he had made up his courage” (Unfinished Tales 331). This captures in a nutshell how Bilbo and Frodo were both prepared in advance for their vocations, which ultimately carry the heavy cost of leaving behind all they love but each other.

Before the whole plan for Bilbo to discover, embrace, and fulfill his vocation can fall apart, Gandalf reveals two things he has long kept secret. Sauron had captured and tormented Thorin’s father and taken his Ring from him. Thráin died in the dungeons of Dol Guldur, but not before he passed a map and key to Gandalf. The wizard then heeded an intuition to keep them hidden for nearly a century. Musing in the “Erebor” narrative about the odd luck to still have the things, he says he realized only at Bag End exactly what Providence had put into his hands. The items make Thorin more hopeful about the quest, though the dwarves remain doubtful about Bilbo. Gandalf, however, is most adamant that they include the hobbit in their party. The wizard does not know the future, but, as a Maia, he has a deeper intuition than most. He senses that without Bilbo the other much more important events that are to happen will not occur.

After Bilbo wakes in the morning, he finds the dwarves gone. Gandalf enters shortly afterward and practically forces him out the door. It is still Bilbo’s choice, however, that allows for the success of this push. He could have refused, but instead he hurries down to The Green Dragon without even a handkerchief and allows himself to be drawn into that unique part of the Great Music only he can sing.

The reasons why Bilbo must go on his journey soon begin to manifest themselves. The hobbit imprudently decides to live up to his job title as burglar and picks the pocket of one of the trolls. However foolish this is, much good also comes. After Gandalf comes to the rescue and the trolls turn to stone, this part of Middle-earth is now safe for travelers. Even more importantly, Bilbo providentially finds an Elven knife in the trolls’ cave to use as a sword.

Thorin and company continue on to the Last Homely House. It is in this Elven haven that another ‘chance’ happening takes place, as Elrond discovers and translates the moon letters on the dwarven map. The timing of this is nothing but providential, for, as John Rateliff points out, “one particular phase of the moon would only coincide with a specific night of the year roughly once per century” (History of  The Hobbit 124). The dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf leave refreshed and ready once more to resume their journey.

Another moment of grace occurs after Thorin’s company find shelter in a cave from a raging thunder-battle. A restlessness afflicts Bilbo that does not affect anyone else. The hobbit rouses from an uneasy dream and gives a loud cry after he sees it is actually reality. He sees the last of their ponies disappear into a crack in the wall. What causes Bilbo to wake in time to raise the alarm? It is another hint of the Power watching over them. The hobbit’s cry wakes Gandalf, who is the only one who remains free after goblins pour out of the crack and take everyone else captive.

Gandalf rescues Bilbo and the dwarves, but the goblins nearly apprehend them again. In the confusion, the hobbit gets separated from his companions and trapped underground. In a black tunnel, in what appears to be merely a lucky chance, Bilbo blindly puts his hand down upon a small ring lying on the ground. He puts it in his pocket without much thought and continues on his way. He has no idea what he just picked up, what value it has, or what a profound impact this simple action will have on him, his yet unborn cousin Frodo, and, indeed, on all Middle-earth.

This ring is, of course, none other than the Ring, which just shortly before Bilbo came heard its master’s call and slipped away from its bearer to answer. However, it needs a host to travel, and Ilúvatar makes sure it has the right one. From Gandalf’s comments later to Frodo, it is clear that it is neither Bilbo’s choice nor Sauron’s will that the hobbit find the Ring. This event is unforeseen by anyone other than Ilúvatar, who has carefully placed everything and everyone where they need to be for their parts in the Music. Words of King Alfred the Great apply here. “I say, as do all Christian men, that it is a divine purpose that rules, and not fate.”

In the horrible dark, another fateful meeting takes place when Bilbo comes upon Gollum. The creature challenges him to a riddle-game with two possible endings. If Bilbo wins, Gollum will show him the way out; if Gollum wins, he will eat Bilbo.

While Bilbo desperately seeks for answers, Gollum becomes increasingly hungry and begins to get out of his boat in anticipation of a delicious meal. The wicked creature’s lustful haste, however, gives one of the solutions after he puts his foot in the water and disturbs a fish that leaps out and lands right on Bilbo’s feet. It is “pure luck” (Hobbit 74) that provides the next response. Bilbo wishes to blurt out a plea for more time to think, but all that comes out is “Time!” which is precisely the correct response. The hobbit does not even mean it as an answer, but Ilúvatar provides it.

Bilbo is unaware of this providential guidance, but it is easy to see Ilúvatar’s hand in this, for the hobbit is given the answers he needs at the time he needs them without consciously coming to them himself. As the Prologue in The Fellowship of the Ring states, “In the end Bilbo won the game, more by luck (as it seemed) than by wits; for he was stumped at last for a riddle to ask, and cried out, as his hand came upon the ring he had picked up and forgotten: What have I got in my pocket?” (11). It is clear throughout The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings that whenever words such as seem, chance, or luck appear, it is a hint of an invisible Power at work. Bilbo does not actually intend his question to be a riddle. Gollum protests vehemently against the breach in the rules, but he attempts to answer anyway. After he cannot, Bilbo holds the creature to his word that he will show Bilbo the way out. Gollum agrees, but says he must gather some things before they set out. By this he means the Ring, which he plans to use to come upon Bilbo invisibly and have his meal after all. Grieved to discover that his precious is missing, and suspecting the loved and loathed treasure is the answer to Bilbo’s non-riddle, Gollum then asks what the hobbit has in his pocket. Bilbo cannot think of a reason why he should not answer such a seemingly innocuous question, but he refuses out of annoyance and impatience to escape. How different things may have turned out if Bilbo had replied and given the Ring back or had it taken from him!

In Bilbo’s desperate flight from his would-be murderer, grace continues to look after him, as is shown after evil defeats itself yet again. The hobbit puts his left hand in his pocket, and the Ring “quietly slip[s] on to his groping forefinger” (Hobbit 78). This is not an act Bilbo consciously wills but one the Ring initiates, as it does with all its bearers in its desire to be discovered. Yet such malevolent intent saves Bilbo’s life at the precise moment it is most needful. The now invisible hobbit trips and falls, and Gollum goes right past him. If Bilbo was not wearing the Ring, Gollum could have easily overwhelmed him in his vulnerable position, but the fleeing hobbit instead is given a great advantage in being able to pursue his pursuer in the hope of escape rather than blindly running away in the dark.

Richard Mathews notes the Ring is “just the size to fit a hobbit finger” (Lightning from a Clear Sky 13). Of course it was not made to do so, yet it does, just as the size of the Elven knife Bilbo found in the troll’s cave is perfect, which Mathews observes as well. Everything is waiting for Bilbo to find and thus fulfill this part of his vocation.

It is not long after Bilbo begins to chase Gollum that he fights within himself one of the most important battles ever waged in Middle-earth. He finds Gollum has unintentionally brought him to the way out, at least as far as the wretched creature is willing to go without risking capture by the goblins, but then stops there, blocking Bilbo’s way. Gollum then detects by hearing and smell that the invisible ‘thief’ of his precious ring is nearby. In Bilbo’s desperation to escape with his life, he faces the temptation that to do so, he must slay his enemy. Certainly this is something that could be easily justified as self-defense. The impulse to kill Gollum disappears, however, as fast as it comes. Sensing for a moment the agony of the creature, the Ring-finder intuitively understands what it means to love an enemy, and this turns Gollum from a feared adversary into a human being with a tormented heart and soul. By restraining his hand, Bilbo has once more laid some important groundwork for the destruction of the Ring and the salvation of his future cousin and heir. No foreknowledge of this moves his heart, however. Rather he responds even more admirably, for he shows “mercy for mercy’s sake alone” (Ware, Finding God in The Hobbit 53; italics in original). Tolkien notes, “[Gandalf] did not mean to say that one must be merciful, for it may prove useful later – it would not then be mercy or pity, which are only truly present when contrary to prudence” (Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien 253). It is easy to see how this merciful act could well turn out to be fatal for Bilbo, as Gollum is still quite intent on eating him, but new strength gives the Ring-finder the ability to spring forward and over his adversary and leave Gollum unharmed. Providence protects Bilbo from knowing how dangerous this jump was, for if he had leapt any higher, he would have hit the ceiling, exposed himself, and likely been killed before he could recover. Instead, he gets away and reunites with his companions.

At the edge of Mirkwood, Gandalf warns them not to depart from the path and then leaves. After starvation, however, begins to haunt Bilbo and the dwarves, they veer away after seeing mysterious lights in the woods. Each time the lights disappear at their approach and then spring up elsewhere. After the third unsuccessful attempt to reach them, another danger ensnares the company as myriad spider webs bind them.

Bilbo cuts himself free with his Elvish knife, which he christens Sting. The hobbit takes advantage of the lust of evil to destroy its prey. In its hurry, it destroys itself.Bilbo puts on the Ring, and the multitude of spiders spin web after web in an effort to trap their invisible and mocking foe. They nearly succeed, but the tale makes clear luck is on Bilbo’s side. Sting “luckily” destroys one web that is thread too hastily. Bilbo leads the spiders on a merry chase before quietly hurrying back to his captured companions. He reaches them because “luckily” one of the spiders left a thick rope hanging down, which the hobbit uses as a ladder. He kills the spider guarding the prisoners and frees Fili and they release the others.

The next day, the Wood-elves, who have already captured Thorin, take the rest of the dwarves prisoner. Bilbo follows invisibly to the gates of the Elvenking’s palace. He battles again with his fear of continuing, but in the nick of time, he decides to go forward. He finds the cells of his companions and tries to figure out how to free them. Providence guides him much here and guards him from discovery by both the Elves and Sauron, as he is wearing the Ring to avoid capture.

In Bilbo’s investigations, he learns of a grand feast, which the king’s butler and chief of guards decide to start early on their own. Their drinking of a particularly potent wine is another lucky event, which is crucial to the implementation of the hobbit’s rescue plan. It puts the Elves to sleep and allows Bilbo to steal the keys to his companions’ cells and free them.

Bilbo has already made the fortunate discovery of barrels that are regularly taken down from the Elvenking’s palace to Lake-town, and it is into these the hobbit stuffs his companions. His luck is particularly evident here because he forgot to plan for his own escape. Unable to close himself into a barrel, he invisibly clings for dear life to the outside of one. He struggles to get on top of it but cannot. His failure is actually a blessing, for it saves him from either being thrown off or crushed between the barrel and the suddenly and steeply sloping roof.

There are two more moments of grace during the trip to Lake-town. Because the stowaways arrive at the tie-up point at night, the Elves do not inspect the barrels. Upon overhearing Elves talking the next morning, Bilbo realizes to his amazement that forsaking the strict warnings not to leave the path is actually the best thing he and his companions could have done. With the river the only way to get to the town, the only way Bilbo and company could have come is the way they actually did.

Another moment comes after Bilbo and the dwarves reach Smaug’s Mountain. After a few days of trying to find a way in without success, the hobbit has a strange feeling something important is about to happen. With this comes the excitement of a ray of sunlight streaming through the clouds and shining upon the keyhole of the door into the Mountain. Thorin turns the key, and they push against the door that allows them entrance.

Bilbo presses beyond his terror to continue into the darkness, but then he stops after he hears Smaug snoring. “Going on from there was the bravest thing he ever did. The tremendous things that happened afterwards were as nothing compared to it. He fought the real battle in the tunnel alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait” (Hobbit 197). This is the same spiritual warfare the hobbit fought and won while trapped in the goblin tunnels before he met Gollum. Indeed, Bilbo has grown so much that he enters into Smaug’s dreams as a small but mighty warrior. The hobbit makes his way into the dragon’s treasure room while wearing the Ring and steals a cup.

After Bilbo approaches Smaug the second time, he thinks he knows what is ahead because of what he has endured already, but he does not. The dragon wakes and confronts the invisible hobbit who fills the room with riddles and is confident in his ability to evade the worm. In their conversation, Smaug attempts to drive a wedge between Bilbo and his companions and cause the hobbit to doubt the sincerity of the dwarven promise to share an equal part of the treasure or to share at all. Bilbo tries not to let Smaug’s lies bother him and tricks the worm into revealing his vulnerable spot.

After Bilbo returns to the dwarves, he convinces them they must all hide from the dragon. Smaug leaves to get his revenge against Lake-town and while he is gone, Bilbo enters the worm’s treasury a third time. The dragon-sickness inflames the hobbit’s heart the moment he sees the Arkenstone, but Ilúvatar uses this to bring good out of evil, for it becomes clear that Bilbo is not only meant to find the Ring but also this precious artifact. Bilbo takes it and keeps it secret, though rather guiltily.

The dwarves eventually gather their courage to enter and reclaim what stolen wealth they can. It is then one of the greatest moments of grace in this tale, second only to the finding of the Ring, occurs. Thorin finds and gives Bilbo a coat made of priceless mithril as partial payment for all his services. This is the same mail shirt that later saves Frodo’s life.

The good coming from Bilbo’s temporary fall into dragon-sickness is made clear after he goes into the camp of Bard and the Elvenking and surrenders the Arkenstone. The hobbit does not agree with what Thorin had said and done since other claims were made on the treasure, and so he makes his own moral choice. Bilbo has served the dwarves well and faithfully, and his theft of the Arkenstone is part of this, even if they do not realize it at first. Though it is a wrench to give the jewel away, Bilbo knows where his true treasure lies. All he wants is to go home, have his six meals a day, and smoke his pipe by the fire. His ability to detach himself from the Arkenstone for the greater good prepares him to later part with the Ring. Bilbo knows Thorin will not be pleased after finding out what happened, but the hobbit returns out of loyalty to his friends.

After the Battle of the Five Armies, Bilbo and Gandalf return to the Shire. The hobbit comes home with his worldly treasures in time to stop the remaining auction of his more homely ones. In the aftermath, he discovers not only are his silver spoons beyond recovery, but so is his reputation as a conventional hobbit. The latter does not matter to him because through such loss, he has gained so much more. The Baggins part has decided it is not so bad to be a Took, and the Tookish part has decided it is not so bad to be a Baggins. Bilbo is now free to indulge both sides without fear of conflict.

Just as the tale is at its end, Gandalf makes one of the clearest statements about the role of providential guidance in Bilbo’s life. “You don’t really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit?” (Hobbit 276). These veiled words become clear after it is understood who preserved Bilbo through his trials. In his embrace of the will of the One who sent him on his way, he has proved a very lucky hobbit indeed.

 

Works Cited

Crabbe, Katharyn F. “The Nature of Heroism in a Comic World.” Readings on J. R. R. Tolkien. Ed. Katie de Koster. San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 2000. 54-60.

Mathews, Richard. Lightning from a Clear Sky. San Bernardino: Borgo Press, 1978.

Rateliff, John D. The History of  The Hobbit, Part One: Mr. Baggins. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2007.

Tolkien, J. R. R. The Fellowship of the Ring. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1965.

---. The Hobbit. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2007.

---. The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien. Ed. Humphrey Carpenter. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2000.

---. “The Quest of Erebor.” Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth. Ed. Christopher Tolkien. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1980. 321-336.

Ware, Jim. Finding God in The Hobbit. [Colorado Springs, CO?]: SaltRiver, 2006.

This was originally published in the June 2012 issue of Beyond Bree. It is taken in good part from my book, Moments of Grace and Spiritual Warfare in The Lord of the Rings (WestBow Press, 2012), which also includes a chapter on The Hobbit. To order the book, go to http://ow.ly/ez2dT. You can also find me at www.facebook.com/annemariegazzolo and www.pinterest.com/authorannemarie.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List