Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mighty Gifts  by Antane

It was a wonderful autumn day when the Mayor, Thain and Took met at the mallorn tree Sam had planted. They were solemn as they lit their pipes and talked of their families and the doings of Hobbiton and Buckland. They were glad such a mood would not last with their children coming along soon with their mothers and picnic baskets loaded for a proper celebration. Sam had continued the tradition of celebrating the birthday of both his masters’ just as Frodo had continued to celebrate Bilbo’s long after his uncle had gone. The Mayor knew he was considered as cracked as the Bagginses were thought of, and sometimes, he believed it was true, leastways his heart was still so at times.

None of the hobbits wanted to be sad this day though. They had much joy to celebrate and every year they came here to this tree where they felt closer to their beloved cousin and friend. The children frolicked around the tree, squealing as they ran about trying to catch each other, climbed other trees or did all else carefree lads and lassies do. It always brought a smile to the elder hobbits’ faces for they knew who was responsible for that. Sam refused to take any credit or honor, as much as Merry and Pippin heaped it upon him. Somehow they could feel Frodo’s smiles too as he joined in the celebration.

When the children were exhausted enough to settle down and eat the feast that their mothers had prepared, they gathered close around the tree. All liked to touch it, especially the Gamgee children. Sometimes their eyes widened and their mouths opened silently or they would cry out in delight, clutching the tree even harder. It was then they said they heard or felt Uncle Frodo. Sam, Merry, and Pippin did not doubt them since they had felt it themselves and it brought peace, longing and tears that were happy and sad at the same time. When afters were all done and even the last crumb had been hunted down and gobbled up, the children crawled into laps or gathered around their fathers and begged them for tales of the Great Danger. Even though they had heard it over and over before, they never tired of asking for it again as it was their favorite story. The oldest ones were beginning to understand it was true and why it was that their Uncle Frodo had to leave and why their da’s were silent and sad sometimes. For the younger ones, it was a marvelous legend, all the more wonderful because their da’s were in it. Let it stay that way, Sam thought as he settled against the mallorn and regarded the innocent joy all the Shire lads and lasses had because his master had suffered so to keep it that way. Let them think it’s just a story, just as Mr. Frodo and I did when we were lads and read such things. There’s no need for them to know the terrible wraiths were real or the giant spiders or the evil black enough to tear the heart and spirit apart. None of that exists anymore thanks to the master.

Sam heard a bright laugh that caught at his heart. Oh, Sam, my dearest Sam. When are you ever going to believe you had something to do with this as well? You’re the reason there’s no giant spider anymore, or at the least, she will think twice before she troubles a hobbit again! And come to think of it, none of the other would have been defeated without you either.

Sam smiled. You know well as I do, my most beloved master dear, that I was merely minding after you as I’ve always done. Naught special about that.

Sam then had the distinct feeling of being tightly hugged. He closed his eyes for a moment and just enjoyed the warmth of that touch and all the love that was wrapped up in it. He reached out to answer it with his own.

Frodo sighed. Ah, Sam, there is everything special about that, but I see you need more convincing that I can give now. I think I will just sit back and enjoy the marvel of listening to your voice and Merry’s and Pippin’s and all. What a splendid birthday you have given me! Now mind you, don’t go skipping any of my favorite parts! Or if you cannot bear to speak of yourself, then read something from my second favorites about Merry and Pippin. Maybe that part about the conspiracy being unmasked.

Sam wished he could see his dear as clearly as he heard him. I miss you, my love, but I wonder how I can when you are still so close? Happy Birthday, my own. Thank you for your gifts.

He opened his eyes again as he felt his master’s love flow through him and a caress touched his cheek, or was it just the wind? Thank you, my Sam, for yours. Indeed how can we miss each other when we are together?

Sam drew the Red Book out from a bag. The children had been silent as they saw Uncle Frodo must be talking to their da and honorary uncle. Seeing that over, they all clamored at the same time for their favorite parts to be read, then hushed when the book was opened. Sam felt as though Frodo had placed his arm around him and was reading over his shoulder.

As the Mayor began to read the requested section, Merry and Pippin touched the tree also and felt the same love reach out to envelop them as well. Sam’s voice roughened as he spoke Merry’s words about friendship committing them all the Quest. He couldn’t speak for a while, none of the Travelers could, at least not out loud. Yet silent communication went on between four hearts ever united.

***

Bilbo watched his heartson’s blissful face. Frodo’s inner light glowed nigh to the brightness of the Elves. The ancient hobbit remembered the lad’s birth and the light was there even then, shining in the night. Bilbo had wondered then what the Elves would think of it. Little did he realize how blessed his lad was and they would be making their last home with them. But not just with them. Looking at his lad now, the elder Bagggins knew also that Frodo was also in the fields of the Shire with the brothers of his heart. Bilbo took a leisurely pull on his pipe and was content just to watch. A splendid birthday indeed.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List