Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Thirty Drabbles Hath November 2011  by Rhyselle

Nov 17:  The Great Western Road (The Shire, T.A. 2985*)

“Do you know what this is?” Bilbo indicated the dirt lane that cut through the rolling hills of the Westfarthing.

“It’s a road.  It goes toward Michael Delving.”  Young Frodo waved his hand towards the west.

"Nay, lad.  It goes much further west than that--all the way to the Sea, where the Elves go; and if you walk east far enough, it can take you beyond the Edge of the Wild and over the Misty Mountains to the lands beyond.”

Frodo looked first east, then west, doubtfully. “I don’t know that I’d like to travel that far from home.”

A/N:  Prompt:  “Long lane” by Barbara Holbrook from the ALEP2: TABA group on Facebook.  In The Fellowship of the Ring, Bilbo remarks to Gandalf that Frodo isn't ready to leave the Shire.  This drabble stems from that remark and Barbara's prompt.

*I could not find a specific canon year when Frodo went to live with Bilbo full time, but I assume that he would have had occasional visits with him during his teens before he was adopted.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List