Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Warriors Proud  by Ellie

Chapter 13

The river flowed swiftly past them, a wide and deep torrent. It was no wonder that it served as such a significant dividing line between Beleriand and what lay beyond. One of the edair from the eastern most settlement led them many turns of the stars beyond that village’s borders to bring them to this river. All of the Galadhrim in the three settlements had crossed this river or their families had when they came to Beleriand. At least Haldir had a point of reference now in determining where they were. This was the river Gelion, the elder told them, and across it lay the land called Ossiriand where Denethor son of Lenwë was lord.

The problem was Haldir and his brethren still had no idea how far they were from Doriath or exactly where they were along the Gelion. First they had travelled south to the settlement nearest to Celos Galen in order to map that area and see the new warriors from that settlement safely returned to their homes. They then had turned north and east, journeying for many turns of the stars until they reached the furthest settlement east of Celos Galen. None of the maps Haldir and his comrades had seen before Helm’s Deep told how many leagues it was from different points on the Gelion to Doriath.

Now after much travelling and exploration with warriors from the other settlements, they had detailed maps of those parts of the forest inhabited by the Galadhrim, the makings of another fine map which included all three communities spanning all the way east to the Gelion and west to the edge of Celos Galen, but they had only a slightly better understanding of their map of Beleriand. Perhaps when they travelled far enough west again to reach the edge of the forest, they would gain better insight into their exact location in relation to Doriath.

A handful of times during their travels, they discovered creatures of the dark: a few spiders and some foul things for which Haldir had no name. At every encounter, warriors from Lothlórien aided new warriors from the other settlements in attacking and killing the creatures, such that more warriors sported braids upon reaching their homes than they had when they first left on the journey. For the most part though, the travelling was unhurried and uneventful.

Haldir was surprised to discover that he enjoyed the exploration.  This forest was so young and vibrant.  The trees delighted in the passing of his band of elves everywhere they travelled. He himself felt so very young and fresh and alive, it was difficult not to rejoice in the long journey. Songs came easily to his lips and many tunes flowed from his harp as he walked. This was what it was like to be an elf before the Dark Days and he found that he enjoyed it immensely. Would Valinor feel like this when he finally sailed there? He did not know and was not so certain that he cared any more what Valinor would ultimately be like. The possibility of sailing there seemed so distant and remote now, unlike in the Third Age, and this young forest of Middle-earth was simply glorious.

Sensing his mood, his wife reached up and drew his head down for a passionate kiss. Never breaking stride, he ended the kiss and slipped his arm around her waist, easily lifting her over a fallen log and setting her down again.  Giggling, she leaned in close against his side, wrapping her arms around his waist. He could not help but sigh contentedly.

Gilwen constantly fascinated him with her knowledge of the plants and animals and features of the land. She was well-liked in each of the settlements and well-received not only as the granddaughter of the chieftain of Celos Galen and as Captain Haldir’s wife, but as a highly skilled healer in her own right. Visiting the other settlements at her side, he realized she was a prize much sought after by many ellyn. It flustered and embarrassed him the sense of honor and the great pride that he felt in being the ellon she chose for her husband. He also began to wonder what it was she saw in him that she consented to be his wife when she had so many ellyn from which to choose.

For that matter, what had the other five ellith seen in his brothers and friends that they had chosen them for husbands as well? All six of the ellyn from Lothlórien were considered in general opinion to be wise, well-steeped in lore, skilled crafters in their own right, and mighty warriors. Yet, they all suffered similar short comings which amused and confounded others while greatly embarrassing the six.

Not all of them had wed by the time they left Celos Galen of course, for some things simply cannot and should not be rushed. Only Angaril and Nélliriel had married before departing. The other ellith accompanied their lovers as was expected and proper of ellyn and ellith of this Galadhrim. Haldir still did not approve of this and realized he would have some personal difficulties to overcome in that regard if he ever had any daughters of his own. However, by the time their party reached the second settlement, Haldir’s brothers and their twin friends had all wed their beloveds.

Each of Haldir’s brothers had spoken at length with him before consummating their marriages: Rúmil with Nénwen and Orophin with her cousin Sûlwen.  The twins long had been a holdout, but they finally succumbed after much pressure from the other new wives and from Galadin one of the warriors of Celos Galen who served as a member of the exploration party and who happened to be the great-grandfather of the twins’ prospective wives. When the twins finally gave in, they and their ellith supposedly had gone to gather wood for the cooking fire, but Ferevellon returned with Liniel on his arm and Fereveldir with her sister Lissûliel on his arm – and no fire wood. After that little venture, going to gather firewood became a great cause for teasing, especially if a married couple left to do it and forgot, as the twins had, to actually return with some firewood.

Haldir chuckled to himself, looking around at the other five and their wives as these thoughts occurred to him. He also realized that he had to admit that he and Gilwen had gathered their share of firewood on this venture and endured their share of teasing.

Galadin caught his eye, seeming to perceive his thoughts and came over to walk beside him.

“We have greatly reduced numbers in our party since the warriors of the last settlement left us. I do not think we will be in need of as much wood for our cooking fire at each meal.”

Haldir blushed and bowed his head for a few steps, then pulled his wife a little closer and looked over at Galadin. “You are just jealous that your wife stayed behind in Celos Galen to help with your new twin great-great-grandchildren.”

Galadin laughed. “I admit that I miss her greatly and would not mind a few trips to gather firewood with her.” He paused and winked at Haldir. “But that isn’t why I came over to talk to you. I realize that you and your comrades come from a…ah…more restrained settlement and that you wait for possibly even ennin before having children.”

Concern crept up Haldir’s spine. “This is not your way as well?”

“Actually, no, it is not. When we decide we want a child, we have one. There is no proper amount of time for waiting after marriage. It could be ennin or just a few hundred turns of the stars or even just a few turns of the stars for us. Judging from the very worried expression on your face, I see you did not know this.”

Haldir slowly shook his head, cursing quietly and pushing his wife a little farther away from him though still within the circle of his arm.

Taking a deep breath, Galadin raised his eyebrows and shook his head. “I am very glad that we are having this conversation then. I know that the lovely ellith you Lórien ellyn have claimed can be ah…shall we say…very persuasive. I think it would be prudent for you to have a discussion with the ellyn alone informing them of this difference in our customs and with the ellyn and their wives together. We do not know how long we will be away in these explorations and I for one do not want to be worried about the possibility of caring for pregnant ellith or infants during our journey.”

Nodding his head meaningfully, Haldir quickly replied, “I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. I will say something to them immediately.”

And he did.

The other ellyn were as horrified at the prospects as Haldir, and they all agreed that fewer excursions for firewood might not be a bad idea. The ellith seemed a little pouty after the discussion, but their confounded husbands were quite adamant.

Later, Haldir distinctly overheard the other warriors of Celos Galen thanking Galadin for having “the discussion” with him.  This lead to the realization that it might be best if the captain of the march wardens were present more often than Haldir the happy husband. Gilwen would be displeased, but for the sake and sanity of everyone else, Haldir knew it would be for the best.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Travelling through an unfamiliar forest made it difficult to judge the distance they were travelling, and having the ellith around made it difficult to concentrate long enough to count strides and track distances. Now that the ellith were brooding and much less giddy, the ellyn of Lórien found it easier to take turns counting their strides as they walked north along the Gelion. After less than one turn of the stars of leisurely walking in the plains beside the river (a distance of about 40 miles), they came to an east-flowing tributary which the elder called the River Duilwen. Once they reached the Duilwen, the elder informed them that had they just walked south for three hours instead of having taken this northerly route, they would have reached another east flowing river called Adurant.

Haldir was grateful for this information, but also a bit irritated as well as he and his comrades checked the map of Beleriand. If the ellon had just answered their questions in more detail earlier, they could have determined where they were on the map without having to walk it. At least they knew now that these elvish settlements were located in the forest in southern Beleriand called Taur-im-Duinath. They also knew that the Adurant was the southernmost river in Ossiriand. After a bit of discussion, they determined that Celos Galen was significantly closer to the River Sirion (which would be key in the interactions of the Noldor once they arrived) than they had realized, and was the closest Galadhrim settlement to Doriath. Between the elder and talking with Galadin, they further determined that from Gelion to the edge of the forest near Celos Galen traveling straight east to west was about 200 miles.  

“This forest is huge,” Angaril commented as they worked on the map a little distance from the rest of the group who still knew nothing of the existence of the map of Beleriand.

“It is far bigger than Lothlórien,” Ferevellon observed. “And I thought we had our hands full with trying to protect Lórien. There are not enough warriors from the three settlements to protect this whole forest.”

“We do not need to protect the whole forest,” Haldir said. “We only need to protect the settlements. In training warriors from each village, teaching strategy, and mapping out their lands for them, we have given them the tools necessary to protect themselves. If I remember my history correctly, even the Noldor will avoid this forest. According to them it was populated by secretive ‘Dark Elves’.”

They all snickered at that.

“The orcs will not avoid it though, will they?” Orophin quietly pointed out.

Haldir shook his head, smiling grimly, “No, they will not. Come to think of it, wolves and other foul creatures will come here as well before the first major battle takes place. However, I think that we still have time to plan for this eventuality. Did you not hear that Denethor is lord of Ossiriand? He is the one who will lead the Green Elves of Ossiriand to aid King Thingol of Doriath when the orcs attack Beleriand in the first battle against Morgoth before the Noldor arrive. Lord Denethor will make a stand and die here before Thingol’s forces can succor him.” He pointed to the hill of Amon Ereb on the map far north of their current position. “Had this invasion of orcs already occurred, I am certain that our guides would have heard about it, orcs would already roam these woods, and the elves here already would have had words in their language for the things of war which we have taught them.”

“Captain, when the time comes, will we go fight when Denethor makes his stand or will we stay here and attempt to protect this forest? We are few even counting the warriors we have trained. Would we really make any difference?” Angaril asked.

Fereveldir added, “We left our home to go fight at Helm’s Deep and, I suppose we made a difference in that battle, but look where it got us? We have wives now and may have children of our own before this great battle ever takes place.”

“We left our homes before to fight the evil which threatened all of the lands, both with the Last Alliance at the end of the Second Age and later at Helm’s Deep,” Orophin countered. “I think that having wives and children to protect is all the more reason to go and fight to assure their future survival. Did we and our edair not go fight to protect our land and kin?”

Haldir glanced over toward the rest of the party, noticing his wife and Galadin approaching them. “We will save this discussion for another time when we have more knowledge to guide us. We do not yet know when we are, only where. It is still entirely possible that Celos Galen and the other settlements will not survive long enough for us to concern ourselves with having to fight in any of the great battles of Beleriand.” With that, he discretely rolled up the map of Beleriand, stashing it away and leaving only the map of the forest settlements visible.

“Haldir!” Galadin called grimly as he neared. “A party of elves approaches from the north. They are still some distance away, but already we can tell that they are not Galadhrim. You seem to know many tongues. Perhaps you will be able to speak to them if they speak not our tongue.”

“We will come at once,” Haldir said. Orophin put away the map as the other four scattered to take defensive positions in case the newcomers were not friendly.

As Haldir strode back with Gilwen and Galadin, he muttered to himself, “And let us hope that Sindarin has not changed that much between now and the Third Age…”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List