Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Warriors Proud  by Ellie

The travel was slow with so many wounded. By mutual agreement between Haldir and Mablung, they stopped in Menegroth to allow everyone to rest and to heal. They also thought it vital to report to Thingol all that had happened. No council meeting was scheduled so they had to meet Thingol in court.

The king and queen both sat forward in surprise when Haldir and Mablung were called as the last of the session to approach them.

“The months of training lie heavily on you both,” Thingol said by way of greeting after the two had made their low bows before the thrones.

“Indeed, your Majesty, indeed,” Mablung replied with a slight smile.

“You both are still dressed for travel,” Melian observed. “What is the reason for your haste in coming before us that you could not bathe and dress appropriately?”

“Our apologies, your Majesties, but we bring grave news and we felt it important that we deliver it sooner rather than later for already much time has passed, more so than I would have liked for this news,” Haldir replied.

“Speak then,” Thingol commanded.

And they did, relating the details of their mapping expedition as they now called it, leaving out the details surrounding their departure from Gladhol Gelaidh. Mablung told of the capture of the Doriathrim and the battle where Haldir’s warriors saved them all from the orcs and certain death.

“Your actions in this speak well of you and your warriors, Captain Haldir,” Thingol commended, “though the news of spiders, orcs, and wargs on our northern borders concerns me greatly. What do you recommend we do?”

“Your Majesty, if I may,” Mablung answered before Haldir could. “I suggest we continue our training and train many more ellyn as well in the ways of warriors and march wardens. Haldir and I discussed this on our journey back here from the border of the Neldoreth. We both feel that by establishing march wardens to patrol our borders and maintaining maps of both the forests of Region and Neldoreth, we can better protect Doriath from any future incursions by the orcs or the spiders or whatever other enemy may wish to try our strength.”

“The maps we have made already and the telain we built proved invaluable in the destruction of those who would do your folk harm and in the recovery of your folk as well,” Haldir added.

“You speak of our folk, Haldir. They are your folk now as well,” Melian gently admonished.

Haldir nodded unable to help the smile that crossed his face at the thought of actually being counted one of the Doriathrim! Especially considering all that he had been through in his life. “I am sorry for misspeaking, my Queen. Please forgive me. Indeed they are my folk as well, and I would protect and defend them as I have protected and defended my folk for thousands of years.”

“Mablung, my friend and chief protector, I am most surprised to see you agreeing with Haldir on this or on any matter at all. What has changed?” Thingol asked, his face and voice filled with curiosity.

“I have, my King,” Mablung replied simply. “I understand him and his methods and desires much better now. I admit I am most surprised that he has put up with me for as long as he has, and I, well, we are most fortunate that he did not abandon all of us trainees in the Neldoreth for our months of ill behavior. I have seen him fight and fully understand now the reasons for his planning and strategy and methods of training and absurd tree houses and his strange maps.”

Turning to Haldir, Mablung, in the sight of the entire court of Doriath, proclaimed, “Haldir of Celos Galen and now of Gladhol Gelaidh in Doriath, I offer my sincerest apologies for my behavior since your arrival here in Doriath. I misjudged you and I misjudged your people. You are wise though your ways are strange, and I was wrong to treat with you as I have. I truly am sorry, my Captain.” Then he bowed low before a very stunned Haldir and an equally stunned court.

Haldir stared at him, gaping, unsure of what to do or even how to respond.

After a few moments, Melian smiled brilliantly and gently chided, “Haldir, among the Sindar and most likely among the Galadhrim as well, when one apologizes to us, we bow in return and graciously accept their apology.”

Amidst many snickers and grins from the king and the court, Haldir awkwardly returned the bow and made his own statements of forgiveness. “And my son owes you an apology as well,” he quietly added for Mablung’s hearing only.

“There is no need,” Mablung replied in an equally quiet voice, “We made our peace already and he has invited me and my sons to stay with him and his wife and son when we return to Gladhol Gelaidh.”

Haldir smiled and sighed in heartfelt relief.  “Thank you, Mablung. I am most grateful – and relieved.”

Mablung smiled in reply as the king’s steward stepped forward and declared the court adjourned.

XXXXX

“Captain, I appreciate the offer and your opinion that I deserve this, but I truly do not think that I do.”

“Prince Celeborn, did you slay any spiders?” Haldir patiently asked, looking the prince in the eyes.

“Yes, two of them, but then that warg jumped and opened up my back,” Celeborn protested, taking another step away from the line of trainees. He moved slowly for his wounds obviously still pained him.

“Are the spiders enemies?” Haldir asked as he carefully took the freshly groomed prince by the arm and led him back to the group.

“Yes,” Celeborn sighed, “but I got wounded. I cannot even stand up straight yet.”

“Then, my friend, in a few minutes time you shall bear two badges of honor for your courage in the face of danger: the scars from the warg and the warrior braids I am about to bestow upon you. And you can lean on your walking stick during the ceremony. I do not mind and neither does anyone else. You will not be the only wounded ellon being recognized for the first time as a warrior.”

After depositing Celeborn in his place in the line, Haldir turned and gently placed his hands on the ellon’s shoulders. “I am very proud of you, Prince Celeborn, and I know in my heart that one day you will be a great warrior and fine leader of ellyn – far more than you believe yourself capable now. And when that time comes, I will be most proud to be counted among the warriors under your command.”

Celeborn still looked uncertain but sighed resignedly and leaned on his stick, holding it with both hands. “This is not the first time you have said such things to me, Captain, and I still do not believe you.”

Angaril walked over from helping to straighten the tunic of another wounded ellon in the line, and joined the conversation. “Prince Celeborn, do you believe that warriors never get injured?”

Celeborn slouched a bit, but did not answer.

“Does Taurion Haldirion deserve to be called a warrior?” Angaril asked.

“Without a doubt,” Celeborn replied. “But I-”

“He was injured during the battle and would have fallen to his death if someone else had not stopped fighting and caught him. Does he still deserve to be a warrior even though he was wounded in battle just as you were wounded in battle?”

“Yes,” Celeborn replied long-sufferingly.

“The other wounded who stand around you; do they deserve to be called warriors for their fighting and sacrifice?”

“Yes, of course they do!” Celeborn snapped. “They all fought bravely and remembered your teachings even when under attack.”

“Then, forgive me, my Prince, but I do not see what your problem is,” Angaril said simply. “Now stand silent and wait for the well-deserved title of warrior to be bestowed upon you.” With that Angaril and Haldir both turned and walked away to join the warriors of Gladhol Gelaidh standing nearby. 

“Thank you for the assistance,” Haldir whispered when they were far enough away to avoid being overheard.

“I was afraid you were going to slap our lord and liege – well our future lord and liege, if I did not intervene,” Angaril snickered.

Haldir laughed as well. “I was very strongly considering it, I must admit.”

“You look nervous, brother,” Rúmil commented a few moments later, punching Haldir in the right arm.

“I am nervous,” Haldir admitted, shaking his head in dismay. “I am about to confer the title of warrior on the first march wardens of Doriath! Why should I not be nervous?” He looked away for a moment, gathering his thoughts, then sighed. “I hope I do not forget the pattern of the braid again. When we practiced it earlier, I was having so much trouble remembering it from when Lord Celeborn showed it to us that one time.”

“Well, look at it this way,” Orophin said, “We will watch you plait the first warrior’s hair and then whatever pattern you use, we will use on the others.”

“And what if I mess it up?”  Haldir cried.

“Then who will know besides us, seeing as how we are about to establish for the first time and for all of history what the Doriath warrior’s braid looks like?” Angaril offered.

“So, nothing to worry about then.  I am simply writing history or accidentally rewriting history,” Haldir moaned.

“We are the only ones who will know if you rewrite it, correct?” Ferevellon asked.

Haldir nodded miserably.

“Then do not worry about it, Haldir!” Fereveldir admonished.

“Of course we would not let you forget it for the rest of time,” Rúmil commented offhandedly, “But I would not worry about that if I were you.”

Glaring in great annoyance, Orophin and Angaril each punched one of Rúmil’s arms rather harder than necessary while the twins each slapped Rúmil on the back of the head.

“Do you feel better now, Captain,” Angaril asked pleasantly.

“Yes,” Haldir grinned.

“Excellent! So do we,” Angaril replied brightly as he watched Rúmil scowling and rubbing his head, trying to massage his newly acquired bruises and straighten his hair and tunic at the same time.

Taurion came up to Haldir just as the ceremony before all in the king’s hall was about to commence.

“Adar, I know it is custom for the eldest warrior to blood the braids of a new warrior, but may I be the first with Mablung? I…” Taurion hesitated, wringing his hands uncertainly. “I…there is still some…well, animosity among our warriors concerning Mablung and some of his followers. I…I think that by my being the first to blood his braid, it will send the message that I have let go of my feelings and attitude from before and so should they. I never realized how much others followed my example until all of this started during the training. Everyone expects you to be diplomatic and wise and the perfect leader. I think it is time that I be wise and diplomatic like you and do the right thing as well. I think that since I doubted the loudest, perhaps…perhaps my doing what is right will be loud as well.” 

Haldir considered his son for a moment, seeing the changes in him since the battle. He was most proud of this son of Lórien more so than any other warrior he had ever trained. Handing the sigil e-hereg – the blood knife, to his son he replied, “I think it is most fitting that you should be the first to blood his braids and give him the kisses of a warrior. He is second in line. You may blood him when the time comes. Angaril and I will blood the others. ”

As soon as the king and queen entered the hall and assumed their seats, the steward called for the ceremony to commence. Haldir was indeed very nervous as he talked about what would happen and then explained each part of the procedure as it was conducted. He was not certain what honored him more: giving Prince Celeborn his warrior braids (he did remember the proper pattern after all, much to Rúmil’s disappointment) or conferring warrior status on the ellyn who would be the first Sindarin members of the march wardens of Doriath. It seemed to Haldir that the court of the king looked on in fascination and not a little envy as the warriors received their braids. He remembered from history that by the end of the First Battle of Beleriand, all of the lords of Doriath would wear warrior braids as would most of the ellyn of that land. The thought momentarily took his breath away as he realized that the warrior custom would come full circle because of what he was doing now. One day many ennin from now, Lord Celeborn would confer braids on Haldir and his comrades.

His expression must have betrayed his thoughts for Angaril paused at his side after finishing blooding the last braid and whispered, “I, too, stand in awe of what we have accomplished here and the tradition we have started. But why us, Haldir? Why us? Tens of thousands of warriors will train and bear braids over the next several thousand years. Any of them could have been chosen to do what we have done. Why were we the ones?”

Haldir looked over at Angaril who visibly struggled with his emotions. Careful not to get any blood from his bandaged hand on his dear friend, Haldir put his hands on his shoulders. “Your guess is as good as mine as are your doubts. I do not pretend to know why we were the ones chosen to do this, but at least we have succeeded. There will be march wardens in Doriath now and one day they will be the stuff of song and legend. One day they will inspire us or…well…” Haldir wrinkled his brow in confusion. “Ah…I guess we will…inspire ourselves? Dear Eru! Angaril, what have we done?!”

“I believe we just made certain that we will one day grow up to become warriors,” Angaril snickered and then a stricken Haldir joined him and soon they were both laughing so hard that tears were streaming down their faces.

XXXXX

Over the next several years, King Thingol sent many ellyn to Gladhol Gelaidh to study the ways of warriors and march wardens. Once Haldir’s youngest children were old enough, he came to Menegroth for months at a time to train the king and many of the princes himself. Conveniently for Haldir, the training sessions always coincided with council meetings so that Haldir’s time during each visit to Menegroth was well spent between his roles as Captain and as a member of the king’s Privy Council. Each new set of trainees added to the maps of Doriath until both forests had been documented and every new trainee was required to memorize the maps. Outposts of telain lay scattered about in strategic locations as well, and both the warriors and those who had yet to earn their braids in combat worked together to patrol the borders.

Mablung and Taurion grew to be gwedyr and Mablung frequently brought his family to visit Gladhol Gelaidh even after his training was complete. They even attended the naming ceremony for Taurion’s daughter who was born thirty years after the Galadhrim settled in Gladhol Gelaidh.

Gilwen decided that the Sindar were not so bad so long as they went home often, showed honor and respect to the Galadhrim, and did not expect her to dwell in their ridiculous halls of stone. At long last, surrounded at home by his children and growing numbers of grandchildren, Haldir’s heart once again knew peace.

XXXXX

Gwedyr – brothers but not by blood

XXXXX     





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List