Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys 10: Finding the sun  by elliska

Vow not to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.
Elrond, Fellowship of the Ring

Chapter 4: And darkness

"So the first thing he did was ask to accompany me to Dale, hmm?" Lindomiel asked. Amusement lit her face.

Thranduil spent a moment just enjoying that sight. There was nothing that cheered him like his wife's smile. When he failed to answer her, one delicate eyebrow arched. He could not help but smile himself. "It was not his immediate response," he finally said. "He had the wisdom to wait to ask me until we were alone. Galithil encouraged him to do it, I imagine. They had their heads together, whispering. So I think we can expect that the next argument will be that Galithil should also go along."

Lindomiel laughed outright now. "Naturally," she said. "The more the merrier, as the men say. Let them come. Having them along will make Celonhael's absence less poignant."

The reminder of Celonhael brought Thranduil's mind back to the practical problems with the whole trip. "I am worried about you going, Lindomiel," he said. "With Manadhien's servants abroad. I am concerned they will strike again. It would not be the first time they made an attempt against you when you traveled to Dale. You and Legolas and Galithil, all one target? That might be too tempting to resist."

Lindomiel shrugged. "I am a target whenever I travel, Thranduil. And not just hers. I appear, in men's eyes, to be a defenseless woman. And a wealthy one, with a fine horse and so many servants, as the guards you send with me appear to be. We have seen highway men on the way to Dale before. We travel prepared for danger."

"Manadhien's servants do not want to rob you. They want to kill you. They can do that with an arrow while hidden in the tall grass on the plain. You would be dead before you recognized you were under attack."

"They will not kill me with an arrow. There is not enough satisfaction in that. Enough suffering..."

"That is not an argument remarkable for its cogency, Lindomiel," Thranduil interrupted. "Not to persuade me to let you or the children go."

Lindomiel loosed an indignant noise. "Let me go? Unless you want to go naked next winter, I will go. Who else do you think can choose the new wool merchant?"

She was correct. Thranduil could not deny that. But the way her eyes sparkled when she suggested he would go naked was enough to force him to look down at the table and fight to remain serious. "I am so thankful that you do not make a regular appearance in my morning council, meleth. I do not think I could survive the distraction."

That brought the amused smile back to Lindomiel's face. "My recommendation, as a member of your council, is that Legolas, and Galithil, if he asks, be allowed to come. We want to make Legolas ready for this type of duty. There is no reason not to start that now. My recommendation as Legolas's naneth is the same. We do not know how long it will take to arrest Manadhien's servants and I refuse to allow my sons or myself to be held prisoner until then. We will be cautious. You can arrange extra guards, if you wish. But I am going and I think Legolas should come too."

Thranduil considered that silently for a moment and then turned to the captain of his guard, who he had invited to join them for this discussion.

Conuion nodded in response to the king's implied question. "I had already asked Tureden to plan an extended escort for the queen on this trip. It would be sufficient to cover Legolas and Galithil too. My only concern would be: if Legolas goes, is he well enough healed to defend himself, should the need arise?"

"He returned to training today, he told me," Thranduil replied.

"And was dismissed. By Langon. According to Tureden's report." Conuion countered.

Thranduil looked sharply at Conuion.

"Tureden said he arrived late and was dismissed after one class. Tactics, I think. Perhaps because he was late? I am not certain, but Tureden mentioned to me in passing that he...did not feel Legolas had taken the drill seriously. He said his sword work was...sloppy."

Thranduil frowned, shaking his head. "I cannot imagine why that would be," he said with heavy sarcasm.

"I cannot imagine why you allowed him to return to training so soon," Lindomiel exclaimed. "How could you think that wise? He should be doing something to enjoy himself--hunting or at least camping. Helping with the harvest or working with Master Ruscil, if you want to keep him close at hand for safety sake. But sparring? Thranduil that is insane. How could you allow it?"

"I expressed concern when he told me he was going," Thranduil answered. "He told me that he wanted to go. He is too old for me to command on such things, Lindomiel. We agreed on that--indeed, I seem to recall it was you that insisted upon giving Legolas more room to make his own choices. I merely obeyed. Perhaps he went, found it too difficult and asked Langon to be excused."

"That is possible," Conuion said. "Tureden did say in his report that Langon spoke to Legolas for some time privately. But, respectfully, my lady, the point in my mind is: can Legolas defend himself on the journey to Dale, if need be? I recommend that be a consideration before he is allowed to go."

Thranduil nodded. "We will discuss it with Legolas this evening before we retire. If he--and Galithil--show the proper respect for a journey of this nature, and if Legolas has a good explanation for why he was dismissed from training, we will allow them to go. I will keep you informed, Conuion." Then he turned back to Lindomiel, who only appeared somewhat mollified. "What about Berior?" he asked in an effort to divert her. "Should he go as well? To give us an opportunity to see how he interacts with men?"

Lindomiel's frown deepened. "On this trip? So soon? Do you think we will get an accurate example of his talents? He is suffering much more than Legolas."

"Perhaps the distraction would be good for him."

"I am not certain that being in close proximity to me for two solid weeks of travel would prove to be a distraction for Berior. More likely it would be a torment," Lindomiel said quietly.

"What in all of Arda do you mean by that?" Thranduil responded.

"Berior and Ollwen are angry with me. For sending Celonhael," she explained while reaching out to grasp Thranduil's wrist where it laid on the table.

"What!" Thranduil exclaimed.

Lindomiel's grasp tightened. "Ollwen is gone, Thranduil. And she was devastated by her loss. She had little, if any, command over herself. Berior, I hope, is emulating his mother. I believe, with time and perspective, he will realize that his behavior is...unkind."

"He will realize it when he is told, in no uncertain terms, that it is unjust and unacceptable," Thranduil retorted.

Lindomiel shook her head. "He cannot be ordered to forgive..."

"There is nothing to forgive. You gave an order, in my absence, for the safety of this realm. That order was the correct one. Berior is now a member of my council, Lindomiel. He, along with everyone on it, need to understand and accept that some decisions come with unforeseen consequences. Some will require sacrifices that are very painful..."

"He will understand that, Thranduil. Eventually. He is not yet fifty. He has not seen even what Legolas and Galithil have seen of the workings of the King's Council. You have some adjustments to make, my lord. You have gone, in the course of very few years, from being served by elves many years your senior to elves barely or not even of age. By necessity. I realize that. And out of respect for their fathers, who we have lost. But while you can expect the very young to understand that they must serve you faithfully and competently, you, in turn, must accommodate their more exuberant responses. The high spirits of youth. You are not too old to recall such things, I hope?"

Thranduil tried not to laugh. He did not want to laugh. He wanted to be angry that Lindomiel had been made to feel worse about a decision he knew she already struggled with. He pulled her hand free of its grip on his wrist and lifted it to his lips. "I do vaguely recall exuberance, my lady," he replied, "but I would never approve of 'high spirits' that hurt another, especially if that person is you." Still holding her hand, he continued. "Would you prefer not to have Berior accompany you?"

"I would prefer that it be his choice. One presented to him with the reminder that I will be there," she replied.

He nodded and turned to Conuion. "If Berior goes, can you provide a guard for him?"

"Lanthir can go with him, my lord. He accompanied Celonhael the last few times he traveled abroad. He would manage the trip well."

"Very well, that is settled," Thranduil said and he made to stand. That was the last topic he had wanted to discuss for the evening. Now he wanted some wine. He had seen Galion bring a barrel up from the cellars and roll it across the bridge to the Green earlier. Maybe some wine and dancing with Lindomiel. He turned to her as he rose, holding out his hand, intending to invite her.

Conuion and Hallion stood as well.

"My lord, about your Guard," Conuion said quickly. "May I make a suggestion?"

Thranduil's eyebrows rose and he turned from Lindomiel to him. "You are the captain of my Guard. You do not need my permission to enact any suggestion you might have for it."

Conuion frowned. "This suggestion involves Legolas, my lord."

Thranduil regarded him silently, eyebrows still raised, waiting for him to continue.

"I have seen some interactions between Legolas and Tureden that concern me," he said. "I believe we should speak to them both."

"May I ask you to be more specific?" Thranduil replied when Conuion said no more.

Conuion's frown deepened. "Tureden stated to me that Legolas shows him little..." he stopped and sighed. "Well, Tureden's precise words were, 'absolutely no respect.'"

"I find that very difficult to believe," Lindomiel interrupted, her tone soft, but clearly disapproving.

"I spent a little time watching them today, since Tureden made that comment yesterday," Conuion said. "I kept my distance, to try to get a true idea of what was going on, because I also found the idea of a disrespectful Legolas a little hard to imagine. Legolas was just coming back from swimming and his cousins from training when I found them. Legolas was...very dismissive of Tureden. And some of his reactions were...to be completely frank, my lord, they were rude. Not ones I would have appreciated."

"I will speak to him," Thranduil said, trying not to sound short. He knew his posture was stiff--enough so to be making Conuion uncomfortable. Legolas had had little time to recover from all that happened. Still, rude behavior was not acceptable and he knew that.

"I think you should, my lord. But I think you and I should also speak to Tureden. He does not know Legolas well, though he knows you well enough and you would think he could guess that he could not treat Legolas much differently than you. But...again, to be completely frank, I did not watch them long before I found myself wondering if Tureden had not earned Legolas's rudeness. Tureden seemed to think he could command Legolas."

That made Hallion snort.

Thranduil grinned at him briefly before turning to Conuion. "And captain, you also often seem to think you can command me," he interjected.

"In matters of your safety, you may rest assured that I can and will, my lord," Conuion replied firmly.

Firmly enough to make Thranduil laugh.

"But Tureden's orders to Legolas were not limited to concerns over safety," Conuion continued, ignoring his laughter. "For example, he told Legolas that he and his friends could not take horses out of the barn..."

"Why should Legolas not take horses from the barn?" Thranduil asked, now confused.

"Precisely my point," Conuion replied. "Legolas lost his temper entirely when Tureden said that. They openly argued. In Crithad's yard. I was about to intervene when Legolas stalked away from Tureden to the barn. For a moment, I doubted Tureden would go after him. I also feared he would refuse to accompany them on their ride once Legolas secured the horses."

"Tureden likely did not realize Legolas is allowed to take the horses. No other children are allowed to," Lindomiel said quietly.

"And I imagine Legolas took the king's horse," Hallion added, winking at Thranduil.

"I told him he could exercise my horse when ever he wished," Thranduil said.

"Perhaps the queen is correct and Tureden does not know Legolas's boundaries, my lord. But I am concerned that, without some discussion to better define expectations, those two will not work together well."

"We will speak to them. Both," Thranduil said. "If Legolas does not have training, perhaps we can take a few moments after morning council tomorrow. Thank you for mentioning this, Conuion."

Conuion only bowed, but he appeared to be very relieved. Thranduil found himself wondering just how bad the argument he had witnessed had been. Thranduil had assumed it was only an exchange of a few words. Legolas would never argue publicly. But Conuion's demeanor implied it might have been worse. Well, he would manage that tomorrow. Now, he was going to the Green.

*~*~*

Legolas froze, eyes locked on Lagril's drawn bow--and the arrow, aimed directly at him. Before he even had time to register danger, Tureden's back consumed his view. His guard had stepped between them. He had his own bow at full draw, his fingers releasing the string. The bow twanged as his arrow leapt away, flying straight at Lagril's bow hand.

The sound was immediately repeated at least two dozen-fold.

Legolas took a slight step to the side just in time to see Lagril convulse with the impact of so many arrows that Legolas could not even immediately count them.

Tureden tensed, the hand that had drawn his bow coming back behind him, groping for Legolas.

It took Legolas less than a heartbeat to realize what concerned his guard: as Lagril contorted, trying to dodge the pain of the arrows flying into him, his fingers slipped off his bow string. His fully drawn bow string.

The arrow flew wild from the string, wobbling.

Tureden took a step back, both arms thrown wide behind himself, in an effort to herd Legolas. He crouched slightly, watching the arrow's erratic trajectory. Then, he leapt to one side, dragging Legolas with him. The arrow whistled by them and drove into a bough of the Oak with a solid thunk.

Legolas stared at it for a long moment.

Tureden released his grip on Legolas's arm and stepped away from him. His eyes bored into him, searching him for injuries.

"I am fine, obviously," Legolas said. His gaze drifted involuntarily to Lagril again, already knowing that he could not possibly represent a further threat, else Tureden would not have his back to him. Still, Legolas looked. Lagril was falling to his knees, silent as he dropped. His hand clutched his throat. It was covered in far too much blood. As he collapsed, Legolas saw an arrow protruding, not from his arms, shoulders or legs, but from his neck.

"Elbereth Gilthoniel!" a sickened voice cried.

Legolas glanced toward it.

It was Galithil. His bow was slack in his left hand, his right covered his mouth. He was staring at Berior. Berior's eyes and mouth were round O's.

Legolas's gaze darted back to Lagril's body. It was Berior's arrow that had killed him.

Legolas took a step towards his cousin, but the captain of the Palace Guard blocked his path, looking at him expectantly. Legolas moved to dodge around him, worried about Berior, but stopped himself as he processed what his priorities needed to be. "Dollion," he said, "if Lagril is here, then another elf--Pelin--who helped him abduct Anastor and I, might be here as well. So might Fuilin and Mauril. Do you know them?"

"I know Fuilin and Mauril, my lord. From the old capital by the mountains," Dollion replied. He pointed at six of his warriors, one by one--warriors that had long served the Palace Guard. They would all know Fuilin and Mauril. Dollion gave the signal for them to search the surrounds. They moved off instantly. "I do not know any elf named Pelin," he finished.

"I know him. I can help search," Anastor said, stepping forward.

Dollion pressed his lips together and looked at Legolas.

"You are as much a target as I am, Anastor," Legolas said. "He would be hidden. If he sees you before you see him..."

"I am the only one besides you that will recognize Pelin, Legolas. I want to help find him, if he is here," Anastor insisted.

As Legolas and Anastor spoke, Galuauth, Pendurion and Belloth climbed under the low hanging boughs of the Oak from where they had been merrymaking on the Green. Their eyes widened in response to the sight before them and more so at the mention of Pelin. They rushed forward to help surround Legolas, Galithil and Berior.

"I can go with Anastor, my lord," Galuauth offered.

Legolas started to accept that offer. It did make sense for Anastor to help search, if he could be kept safe. And Galuauth would not fail in that duty, even with Anastor as his charge. Before he could agree, Legolas noticed Tureden's expression was one of shock and disapproval. And Tureden was Galuauth's officer. "Either Anastor or I--or both of us--will need to help search for Pelin. As Anastor said, we are the only people here that will recognize him. Would it be acceptable for Galuauth to go with Anastor, lieutenant?" Legolas settled on asking, trying to keep his tone neutral.

Tureden remained silent and still a long moment before nodding.

Anastor, Galuauth and two more warriors sprinted out of the shelter of the Oak a moment later at Dollion's signal.

Shouting was beginning to erupt on the Green. News spread quickly. Legolas turned towards it, worry creasing his brow.

"Should we clear the Green, my lord?" Dollion asked.

Tureden's eyebrows shot up and he looked between Dollion and Legolas.

Legolas did not notice. He hesitated over that question. It seemed like a much more far reaching decision than telling Dollion that Fuilin might be nearby and allowing him to conclude for himself that fact warranted a search. Still, Manadhien's servants were a threat to everyone if they started loosing arrows on the Green.

"Yes," he replied. "Tell them to go back to their cottages for the evening. If people ask, tell them we caught one criminal tonight and are searching for another. And tell the Gate Guards to inform the king what happened." Before I am called on to make a decision that is completely outside my authority, he added silently to himself.

Dollion made a quick bow and ran onto the Green.

As he moved off, Tureden's hand stretched out towards Legolas's shoulder. Legolas did not notice. He was finally turning his attention to Berior and Galithil. He strode towards them, ducking unintentionally from under Tureden's grasp.

Berior stood, his bow on the ground at his feet, staring at Lagril. Staring at his arrow, covered with blood in Lagril's throat. Legolas doubted his cousin was even aware of the warriors surrounding him, some with their hands on his shoulders or back, all murmuring comforting words.

"Berior? I know that is not the shot you intended to make," Legolas said, repeating what most of the elves surrounding Berior were saying. Legolas was not as certain of that assertion as his words seemed to imply, but he hoped it was true.

Legolas's voice seemed to bring Berior out of his stupor. He grasped Legolas's upper arms and focused on him. "I swear it was not," he immediately affirmed. "I aimed at his shoulder. His shoulder, Legolas. I...it hit him...I do not see how it hit his..." Berior's voice faded out. He was not able to complete that thought.

"He was hit by over two dozen arrows, Berior," Legolas said calmly. "Some of them hit him before yours, he jerked from the pain, and his throat ended up where his shoulder had been when you targeted him..."

"I should have aimed for his leg!" Berior exclaimed. "I just could not see it as well."

"Berior, you did nothing wrong. You aimed to disable him. He moved. The arrow struck him fatally. If he had not threatened my life, no one would have threatened his. This is his fault, not yours. Moreover, you know what he is guilty of. You know you did nothing more than what the king would have been forced to do."

Berior stared at Legolas a long moment, still breathing through his open mouth. Finally, he let go of Legolas's arms and took a step back. "What I told the king I would do in his stead," he whispered. "He will believe I did this purposefully." He looked down. "Offer not to walk in the dark, he who has never seen the nightfall, the old saying goes," he whispered. "I cannot believe I... I certainly understand...." Biting his lip, he looked directly back at Legolas. "I apologize, sincerely, for how I spoke to you and the king."

"It is forgotten, Berior," Legolas assured him. "And we will tell him how this happened. Make sure that he understands you did not do it purposefully." Then, in an effort to get his cousin away from where he was forced to see Lagril, he added, "We should go do that now and get inside quickly."

"I agree," Tureden said from so close behind Legolas that he made both Legolas and Berior jump. "Go. Now," he added in his officer's voice, obviously expecting Legolas to argue.

Legolas had no intention of doing that--it would be a waste of time and breath with Tureden. Better to help get Berior into the stronghold and then ask his father for permission to search. He put an arm around Berior's shoulders while Galithil bent over to pick up his bow and hand it back to him. Without another word, Legolas and Galithil led their cousin towards the Gates.

*~*~*

Thranduil was walking down the center aisle of the Hall, arm in arm with Lindomiel and conversing with Hallion, when the doors of the Hall flew open and the outer guard rushed into the room.

Conuion, who had been following several paces behind, brought himself alongside the king in two long strides.

"My lord, there is a disturbance on the Green," the guard called. "Dollion is clearing it and calling for warriors."

"Fetch the king's weapons," Conuion ordered a servant in the Hall. The servant ran towards the family quarters, full speed.

Thranduil took Lindomiel's hand from his arm and passed her to Hallion. Her expression hardened as her other hand fell to the knife she carried at her waist. "Please stay here with Hallion until we learn what has happened," Thranduil pleaded rather than wasting time trying to command her.

With obvious reluctance, Lindomiel accepted Hallion's efforts to take her arm.

"Thank you, meleth," Thranduil said quickly. Then he and Conuion jogged to the doors, Conuion sword in hand.

Thranduil looked through the now open doors of the Hall and out onto the Green. He saw no immediate evidence of a threat, but people were indeed hurriedly dispersing to the various paths that led to the cottages in the surrounding forest, some hand-in-hand, some carrying musical instruments or the accoutrements for whatever game they had been playing with their families. Deserted blankets spread on the grass and goblets on the tables showed that some people left too quickly to bother to gather their belongings. Galion had abandoned his wine barrel and was jogging across the bridge. Dannenion, Dolwon and their wives were almost running for the Gates. Their children were not with them.

Thranduil frowned and scanned the visible trees carefully, searching for anything that might have provoked this alarm. Seeing nothing that he could respond to, he narrowed his focus to the Oak. That was where Legolas, Galithil and Berior had intended to go.

A moment later, Noruil emerged from behind its low hanging boughs. Then, Legolas, Galithil, and Berior appeared, surrounded by members of the King's Guard and with their own weapons in their hands.

"How in all of Arda...!" one of the Gate Guards exclaimed, when Legolas came into view. The other stepped to the edge of the landing as if he needed a better view to confirm what he was seeing. They exchanged a confused look.

From the door to the family quarters, Lanthir also drew a sharp breath as he stared out the Gates at Legolas and his cousins.

Thranduil did not have time to puzzle over those reactions. "What is going on?" he asked, as he entered the antechamber. His eyes remained on his children.

"Someone was attacked," Galion said, hurrying through the Gates. "By a criminal, the warriors said. They told us to return to our homes and stay inside for the rest of the night. They would not even let me bring the barrel back inside. It is still half full."

"Dollion said that Legolas said that the criminal is Lagril," Dolwon exclaimed sounding breathless as he and Dannenion ran inside.

In response to that, Thranduil took several steps towards the Gates, Conuion on his heels. Again he scrutinized the tree line.

"Anastor went with two warriors," Dannenion added. His eyes were wide with fear. "He said he was going to see if they could find Pelin. Galuauth was with him. He said Legolas sent him to guard him. My lord, can Galuauth truly keep Anastor safe? These are Manadhien's servants! The same ones that we just retrieved our children from!"

Thranduil was all too aware of that.

The children were walking, calmly, across the Green. Thranduil found himself willing them to run, though he knew they could not. Not even a dragon could compel Thranduil to appear to flee into the stronghold. Still.... He breathed only slightly easier when Golwon, Isteth, Eirienil and Maidhien came into view and joined them in their march across the lawn. A moment later, Engwe also joined them. All had bows, including Legolas, he reminded himself firmly.

For what little good that would do them.

Any one of them, or many of them, might, at this very moment, be targeted by enemy arrows. Targeted by Manadhien's servants hiding somewhere in the trees. He might watch one of them fall right now, before his eyes. He took another step towards the Gates and felt Conuion's hand close over his arm.

"You will wait for your weapons, my lord," Conuion said into his ear.

"My lord, will Galuauth protect him?" Dannenion repeated his question.

Thranduil forced himself to look at Dannenion. "Of course he will, Dannenion, to the best of his ability, if that is what Legolas ordered. And it is very important for Anastor to help search. He will recognize Pelin where none of the warriors would."

As Thranduil said that, he tensed, realizing it was true--not just for Anastor, but for his own son as well. He was grateful Tureden had clearly insisted that Legolas not accompany Anastor, but if Legolas requested it, and he surely would, Thranduil could not logically deny him the right to search himself. Legolas's participation in the hunt would double the chances that Pelin would be recognized.

Logical or not, it would still be a very difficult request to grant.

Thranduil relaxed marginally as his family started across the bridge.

"I am going to get my sword," Engwe said the moment he passed through the Gates. He walked straight past Thranduil where he stood in the antechamber. "I will recognize Fuilin and Mauril if they are here. I am going to help hunt."

"I am going too," Golwon said, following Engwe. His wife, Isteth, went with them. Thranduil did not complain. She was his chief scribe. She was also one of the most skilled archers he had ever met.

Eirienil, Maidhien and Noruil remained behind with Legolas and his cousins. They, along with the guards, gathered around Thranduil.

"What happened?" Thranduil demanded. He directed himself to Legolas and that made Tureden's brows rise. Thranduil did not care. Tureden might be an officer, but he wanted to hear his son assure him that he was not injured. He wanted to hear the same from Berior, truth be told. He was quite pale, as if he might be injured.

"None of us are hurt," Legolas replied promptly, studying his father for a moment before concluding that statement. "My lord," was what he finally said. "Lagril fared more poorly. He is dead."

Thranduil struggled not to exclaim in surprise right along with Dannenion and Dolwon. "How?"

"We were at the Oak," Legolas began.

Tureden turned an odd expression on Thranduil the moment Legolas said that. He almost seemed to expect something, though Thranduil did not have the inclination to try to figure out what at the moment.

"The entire time I was gaming, something seemed off to me, but I discounted it as.... Well, I ignored it and obviously should not have. I had just finished a duel with Tureden when we both saw something moving in the trees. No one sits in the branches near the Oak, so we looked closer. The person started to leave, but before they went far, I got a better look--a glimpse at the person's face. I thought it was Lagril and called out to see if I was right. As soon as I did, he fled. We stopped him with an arrow but..." There, Legolas hesitated, looking nervously at his father.

Thranduil could guess what that meant. "But he was not badly enough wounded to be disabled and he threatened you. Or one of your cousins."

"Me," Legolas confirmed.

"Better to simply surrender than to threaten the king's son at the Oak," Galithil said, his tone grave. "Fifty warriors, all with their bows in their hands? That is bound to turn out badly."

"Turned him into a porcupine is what it did," Noruil said, laughing.

"He did look like a porcupine," Legolas agreed solemnly, "bristling with arrows instead of quills."

Berior swallowed. Hard.

Thranduil's eyes widened. That was nothing less than what Lagril deserved and, Thranduil would be ashamed to openly admit it, but he was relieved. It spared him the necessity of executing Lagril himself. Still, it was a gruesome image and one he sincerely regretted Legolas had to see so soon after Demil. He searched his son's face for any sign of how this might have affected him. Legolas appeared much more composed than Berior. Berior looked...well, he looked as if he would be sick.

"Naturally, everyone had targeted him to disable him," Legolas hurried to conclude. "To hit his arms or legs. One of the arrows accidently struck Demil in the throat as he convulsed from being hit so many times."

Legolas fell silent and looked at Berior.

His cousin's gaze was fixed on the floor and he was drawing long deep breathes.

Thranduil looked from him back to Legolas. His son seemed to be imploring him to understand something. Thranduil's own breathing stopped. "Did Berior kill him?" he mouthed.

Legolas nodded and emphatically mouthed one word back at him. "Accidentally."

Thranduil released the breath he had been holding and reached to pull Berior to him. Not again, he thought. This could not be happening again. Not to Celonhael's son, who had been entrusted to him.

As soon as Thranduil's hands fell on his shoulders, Berior burst into speech. "I swear it was an accident, my lord. I aimed for his shoulder and I am a skilled enough archer to have been able to make that shot. It should not have been a difficult one. He moved. I did not...expect that. I know, after everything I said, you do not believe..."

"I believe you," Thranduil assured him, tightening his arms about him. "It sounds as if you made the same shot many other people did..."

"He did," Legolas confirmed.

"Exactly," Galithil said, speaking over his cousin.

"It was unlucky fate that your arrow, and not someone else's, happened to land at the precise time Lagril moved. It is as much the fault of the arrow that landed before yours, finally forcing Lagril to move, as it is your fault. And if it had not been your arrow, it very likely would have been someone else's. Or my sword. The end is the same. Do not blame yourself. Concentrate on the good instead: one more of Manadhien's servants has been eliminated as a threat to this realm."

Saying all that, Thranduil made to lead Berior off to the family quarters, but his last statement reminded him that he, unfortunately, had more to do. "Dannenion said Anastor is helping to search for Pelin," he said, again addressing Legolas, while looking around the antechamber and finally over his shoulder into the Hall. Someone needed to take care of Berior while he managed this situation. "What about Fuilin and Mauril?  What does Dollion understand about this?"

"I told him that Lagril's presence meant it was likely Pelin, Fuilin and Mauril are here too," Legolas answered. "And he knows they are wanted for treason. He sent warriors, not just Anastor, to search and to secure his patrol area."

As Legolas spoke, Engwe, Golwon and Isteth came out of the family quarters, armed. They ran for the Gates.

"Engwe," Thranduil called, pointing at him. His uncle skidded to a stop, scowling at him. "See to it that the Path Guard and neighboring patrols are informed of this and told to keep a look out for Pelin, Fuilin and Mauril," he ordered.

"I will send messengers now, my lord," Engwe replied and he disappeared out the Gates.

The servant emerged from the family quarters, carrying Thranduil's sword, bow and light armor. Thranduil raised a brow and wondered who had insisted on the armor. No matter. He saw Galithil and Legolas eyeing the weapons eagerly and made a decision. Berior would not be comfortable with Lindomiel, apparently, but he needed someone, and Thranduil wanted his son and foster son kept safe so...

"Legolas, you and Galithil care for your cousin," he said, gesturing for Legolas to take charge of Berior with one hand while holding out the other for the sword the servant had given to Conuion. "Take him to your room, through there," he nodded towards the Hall, "and tell your naneth and Hallion what has happened. Do whatever Hallion asks of you. Tell him I am joining the search."

Legolas hesitated only a moment before obeying. He reached to put an arm around Berior.

Thranduil turned to Conuion, who was already signaling orders to the members of the Guard present. One, aimed at Tureden and Colloth, ordered them to join Pendurion and Belloth to guard the king.

In response to that, Tureden stepped forward to speak into Conuion's ear. "I think Colloth and I should stay behind. I do not trust Legolas or Galithil to remain in the stronghold," Thranduil heard him say.

Legolas heard it too. He turned an utterly scathing look on his guard. It was fierce enough to make Thranduil pause, but it had no effect on Tureden. He simply waited for a response from his captain. Conuion had stopped giving orders and was staring at Tureden.

"May I ask what that means?" Thranduil demanded.

Tureden turned to him, obviously unaware that he might have just said anything surprising. "I forbade Legolas to go to the Oak earlier this evening, so he waited until I turned my back and went without me," he replied.

Thranduil's gaze darted to Legolas, expecting to hear a denial and explanation. He did not. Surely it was not true that Legolas went, without a guard, to the Oak! Now of all times! How could he do something so...stupid! How could it happen at all? Why would the Gates Guards or Lanthir not at least send for someone? Then Thranduil remembered the guards and Lanthir's earlier reactions when they saw Legolas--they were surprised to see him. Surely not because...

"I have yet to determine," Tureden continued, "if Colloth merely disobeyed my order not to take Galithil there, or if he also is responsible for taking Legolas."

That caused Conuion's gaze to snap from Tureden to Colloth.

"Colloth did not take me anywhere," Legolas said. "I went by myself and refused to go back when Colloth asked me to."

"Why did you not bring them both back inside?" Tureden asked Colloth. "Why did you allow Galithil to go when I ordered you not to?"

Colloth's chin rose until he was looking down his nose at his lieutenant. "Unlike you, sir, I am not comfortable publicly arguing with the king's sons," he answered, his gaze sweeping over Dolwon and Dannenion's families and finally alighting on the Gates.

Thranduil looked at them as well.

The Gate Guards' attention was clearly divided between their duty and listening to this conversation.

Thranduil handed his sword back to Conuion. An entire patrol and half his family was already searching for Manadhien's servants. Thranduil needed to find out what, if any, other damage might have been done before he could search himself. He pointed at Legolas and Galithil "In the Hall," he ordered. "If you will excuse us," he said, nodding to Dannenion and Dolwon and gesturing for Eirienil to take Berior back to the family quarters.

"I will come check on you as soon as I can," he said softly to Berior. "Will you be alright with Eirienil for just a bit?"

"I am fine, uncle," Berior replied, stoutly. He was looking at Legolas with wide eyes.

Thranduil turned Berior over to Eirienil and watched for a moment as she and Maidhien led him away. Then he took a step back to allow Legolas and Galithil to precede him through the doors. They did so without protest, walking straight to the table where Lindomiel and Hallion stood tensely. Thranduil allowed Legolas enough time to assure his mother that he was uninjured and to quickly relate what had happened on the Green. Then he faced his son, hands on his hips, expression hard. "True? You went to the Oak when Tureden forbade you to do so? And you went alone?"

Lindomiel's eyes widened and she looked at Legolas with concern.

"True," Legolas admitted. He turned to Tureden who stood next to Conuion and Thranduil. "Tureden refused to accompany me, so I had no choice."

"You had the choice to remain inside or go somewhere other than the Oak if Tureden deemed it too unsafe for you..." Thranduil began.

"Tureden's refusal to escort me to the Oak had nothing to do with safety," Legolas interrupted, still glaring at Tureden. "It had everything to do with a complete lack of respect..."

"Respect!" Tureden exclaimed. "You are going to speak to me of respect! I have never in my life seen a child behave in a less respectful manner..."

"It was you that argued with me, publicly, four times today, was it not?" Legolas cut him off. "Once on the training field..."

"You refused to spar with me," Tureden said, speaking over Legolas. "I have the right to know how you handle your weapons."

"...where you not only argued with me," Legolas continued without pause, "but also with Langon, an officer of the training program, in front of his subordinates. Then you argued with me again when I was going to swim with Aewen..."

"Because you were going where you are not allowed," Tureden countered. "Better that I had stopped you from going altogether as I was inclined to do. That was shocking behavior, Legolas! Undressing each other. Sitting practically naked in each other's laps..."

"As I said then: I am allowed to swim in those pools and no one swims in the river in their tunic and boots."

"Her hands were all over your bare chest..."

Both Thranduil and Lindomiel raised their eyebrows.

Legolas shot a guilty look at them. "She was looking at the scar," he explained. For the first time, his voice sounded a bit defensive.

"Was she going to kiss it to make it better?" Tureden asked, sarcastically. "She was certainly going to kiss you."

"That is enough, Tureden," Thranduil said quietly. This was not what he came into the Hall to discuss. It was his son's personal affair and had no business being discussed in the Hall or anywhere else.

Legolas did not hear him. "Yes, she was," he shot back. "But you were being so intrusive that she likely will never speak to me again now." Legolas pointed at his father. "It is my understanding that the king dismissed Tulus for much less when he treated my naneth similarly when they were courting..."

"Enough, Legolas," Thranduil repeated.

"And then, when my friends and I were going to the barn to go riding..." Legolas continued.

"The barn that houses the warriors horses," Tureden spoke over him again. "You are not a warrior. You have no business taking those horses..."

"Again, as I told you then, I am allowed to ride the horses in that barn after training is over..."

"Nonsense!" Tureden exclaimed. "What would the warriors do if they needed horses--for an incident like this, for example--after you and your friends emptied half the barn..."

"Enough!" This time Thranduil's voice echoed in the Hall.

Both Legolas and Tureden turned to him automatically, mouths pressed closed, expressions still angry.

Thranduil let the silence hang over the Hall for several moments before he spoke. When he did he glanced at Conuion. "Obviously, there is quite a bit that we need to discuss. The lot of you--sit. Now."

He watched as his family members took their normal places at the meeting table, leaving Conuion, Colloth and Tureden to sit at its opposite end. Legolas sat stiffly. Thranduil stifled an angry snort. Legolas had some reason to be unhappy with his guard. Thranduil would grant that. But he was in a world of trouble and did not even appear to recognize it. He shook his head. First things first. He turned to Tureden to put a quick end to irrelevant arguments.

"I gather that you are under the impression that Legolas and his cousins are not allowed to swim in the pools by the mountain or borrow horses from the stable," he said in a quiet voice.

"Or game at the Oak," Legolas interjected.

Tureden nodded. "It is illegal for anyone but warriors to walk on the mountain that houses the stronghold. Only warriors are allowed to use those horses. And I know you do not approve of the Oak any more than I do. I have heard you say it a thousand times."

Thranduil sighed. "The mountain that houses the stronghold is indeed out of bounds. For most people. But I have long instructed the Palace Guard to allow members of my family to use the pools there. You know the queen and I use them, because you have guarded us there. You must not have been aware that others in the family do as well, including Legolas and, when he is present, his friends. As for the horses, I gave Legolas permission to exercise my stallion or to borrow horses from the warriors' barn for his friends, provided they do so in the evening when training is over and there are plenty of horses available. And I also agreed with him that he may game at the Oak, but not gamble there himself. He feels the contests help him build camaraderie with the warriors. Frankly, I do not quite believe that is necessary, nor do I approve, but I recognize that he is too old for me to govern every aspect of his life. Assuming he does not disgrace my House--and I trust he will not--I remain silent on that topic."

Tureden stared at Thranduil, obviously shocked.

"So you see, I am not a liar, Tureden," Legolas said into the silence.

Thranduil looked at Legolas reprovingly. "There is no reason to treat a misunderstanding so harshly, Legolas. Tureden made reasonable assumptions that happened to be incorrect. You might have simply told him that he was mistaken and avoided these problems."

"I did," Legolas answered. "Repeatedly. The last time I did, when I told him that I was allowed to game at the Oak, he flatly accused me of lying. Loudly enough for both Lanthir and the Gate Guards to hear him."

Thranduil spun around and turned a glare on Tureden that was so fierce, it brought the guard instantly to his feet.  "Did I understand that correctly? You called my son a liar? Publicly?"

Tureden's throat bobbed up and down. "I did say that, my lord," he admitted. "I thought the claim that he was allowed to go anywhere near the Oak was absurd..."

"May I ask how you responded to that, Legolas?" Thranduil asked without taking his eyes off Tureden. "Especially since it was said in a public forum."

"There was little I could do. Tureden refused to listen to me. I only told him that I would not tolerate such accusations and I walked away," Legolas responded. "Everyone there knew I was telling the truth. Lanthir has watched me take part in archery contests hundreds of times. And the guards at the Gates have competed with me at least that many times."

Thranduil snorted. "That is a much milder reaction than the one I would make should you ever dare to question my honesty, Tureden." He stood, signaling everyone else at the table to remain seated, and faced off with Tureden. "Of course, when you question my son's honesty--the son that I raised--you do question my own honesty, do you not? How can you believe me to be honorable if the son I raised tells such outrageously obvious lies?"

"My lord," Tureden pleaded, voice reduced to a whisper. "Of course I do not question your honor. Legolas is a child. Children are not always honest. It is their nature..."

"I do not know what your childhood was like, Tureden, but allow me to assure you that lying is not in my son's nature. Nor, for your reference, is it in the nature of my foster sons. You may trust anything that they say with as much confidence as you would place in anything that I said. Do I make myself perfectly clear?"

"Yes, my lord."

Thranduil swung on Legolas. "On your feet," he ordered.

Legolas stood, eyes widening.

"Tell me, Legolas, how do I reconcile the claim I just made with the fact that you gave your word, to your king and to your guard, that you would obey that guard in matters of your safety, but then you ignored your guard's orders and went out alone?"

Legolas tensed, gaze straight in front of him. "You cannot, obviously," he replied. "I was wrong to leave the stronghold without Tureden."

Thranduil nodded. "Let us be certain that we have identified everything that was wrong with that decision," he said. "For example, I do not believe that the Gate Guards would let you leave the stronghold alone."

Legolas looked back at his father, clearly surprised.

"And even if they would, I know that if Lanthir had seen you leave, he would have called for a guard to go after you. Is that what happened? Did Lanthir or the Gate Guards find Tureden and that is how he came to be at the Oak dueling with you after he initially refused to escort you there?"

Tureden was shaking his head, confused. "That is a very good question, my lord. No, no one told me Legolas came out. It was insubordination for Lanthir to let Legolas out after I ordered him not to, but it is dereliction of duty to let him leave the stronghold without any guard when we have all been warned to look out for four people intent on murdering the king's family."

As Tureden spoke, Galithil darted a quick glance at his cousin and then looked resolutely at the tapestry behind the throne, doing his best to keep his expression neutral. Legolas, on the other hand, stared at his guard, his expression increasingly panicked in response to accusations like insubordination and dereliction. It seemed Legolas was only now catching on to his mistakes.

Thranduil himself did not quite understand the accusation of insubordination, but never mind that now. It was not the point. "Shall I instruct Tureden to discipline Lanthir for those offenses, Legolas?" he asked.

"Certainly not," Legolas replied promptly.

Tureden snorted. "I do not need an order from the king to reprimand the guards under my command. Lanthir's actions will certainly be addressed."

Thranduil remained silent, looking at his son.

Legolas shook his head. "Clearly you already know what happened, my lord. I have no idea what you want me to say. I am not certain what I am permitted to say in this company."

That made Tureden's eyebrows go up.

"It hardly matters what I would permit you to say and to whom, does it, Legolas?" Thranduil said quietly. "Your actions have already determined what I must now do. My choices are to allow Tureden to discipline Lanthir for something he will certainly protest that he did not do and allow Lanthir to appear to be a liar. Or I can tell Tureden to not discipline Lanthir, an order Tureden will not understand. Or I can give Tureden, and everyone else involved, a truthful explanation for your mysterious appearance through the Gates this evening--both the Gate Guards and Lanthir marveled at that."

Legolas closed his eyes.

"Since you put me in the position to make this decision, I am asking your advice on how to manage it."

"Thanduil," Lindomiel whispered.

Thranduil waved his hand. "No, my lady, do not interfere. This is not a family matter." Thranduil was aware of Lindomiel's shocked reaction to that rebuke. He ignored it, gaze fixed on Legolas.
 
"The existence of a passage out of this stronghold is a matter of widespread speculation, my lord," Legolas replied after a moment, his voice almost a whisper. "Its precise location is the important information and that is not compromised. It is possible to explain...this. Without doing any more than confirming the existence of the passage."

"Was that your plan when you used that passage, Legolas? To tell people you used one, but not tell them where it is?"

"I..." he began, but managed no more.

Thranduil watched Legolas take several deep breaths. He seemed to have a good deal of trouble even doing that. It was almost enough to drive Thranduil to end this here, as Lindomiel obviously wanted. To send Legolas to his room. He snorted angrily to himself. This was not a prank that could be corrected by sending Legolas to his room!

"I confess that I did not think my actions through thoroughly enough to realize that anyone would find my appearance at the Oak surprising, my lord. I did not plan any explanation for it," Legolas finally replied.

"Well, I will agree with you that you did not think," Thranduil said, no longer bothering to conceal his anger. "What if one of Manadhien's servants was watching the stronghold in order to be ready to help Glilavan and saw you using that passage? One might have seen you. They are here, certainly. Lagril's body is evidence enough of that. And I do not believe for a moment that Lagril was alone. What if Pelin or Fuilin or Mauril saw you? And what if we do not catch them and they take that information back to Manadhien? She is allied with the very orcs that passage would be used to escape if the Gates are ever compromised. I have been trapped in a stronghold by my enemy before. I do not care to be again. That is why I had that passage delved. Not to provide errant children with a convenient means to evade the orders of their parents. Or their guards. Using it for that purpose compromises the security of this stronghold and endangers the lives of the people in this realm that it is intended to protect. I was under the obviously mistaken impression that you understood that, else I would not have entrusted you with the knowledge that I did."

"My lord," Hallion whispered.

Thranduil waved him to silence as he had Lindomiel.

"You are right, of course," Legolas said, voice rough. "There is nothing I can say, my lord. 'I am sorry' does not alter the damage that was done if I was seen by the wrong eyes."

"You are correct that it does not," Thranduil answered. "I am astonished with you Legolas. I have never seen you use such poor judgment and I would never have expected it. Tell me, right now, what was in your head to justify this?"

"My lord," Lindomiel said. "Enough. You have confirmed the dangers that you must address. Analyzing motivations now is not necessary. It wastes time that could better be used searching. Finish this conversation in the morning, when you are both...rested."

But Legolas shook his head. "I cannot justify it. There is no excuse. It was a reckless action and there is no other way to describe it," he said.

Thranduil glared at Legolas a long moment. Legolas, in turn, kept his gaze fixed on the floor. Lindomiel and Hallion were both looking at him sympathetically. Again Thranduil was tempted to give in and send Legolas to his room.

"My lord, there may be some explanation why the child would feel compelled to...use such a passage, should one exist," Tureden said into the silence.

Thranduil frowned and looked at Tureden. "He is not a child. He is old enough to serve my court. And for this lack of judgment, he will be old enough to face it."

Legolas drew and released another deep breath.

"Well, what is the explanation?" Thranduil demanded when Tureden only stared at him, obviously shocked.

"When Legolas and I...argued about whether or not he was permitted to go to the Oak...when I told him that he may not go, I doubted that he would obey that order. He had not obeyed any of the others I had given him since I was assigned to guard him. And I understand now I was wrong to make those orders," he hurried to say. "But when I thought I was within my rights to insist he not go to the Oak, believing he would not obey, I ordered Lanthir to not allow him to leave the family quarters. So, assuming this passage is in the family quarters, Legolas left the stronghold in the only manner available to him."

Thranduil's jaw dropped. That was why Tureden accused Lanthir of insubordination when he thought he had let Legolas leave the family quarters? Tureden had ordered Lanthir to...well, to imprison his son! Thranduil turned back to Legolas. No wonder he was furious with Tureden. Still... "That is no excuse. Legolas knows perfectly well that Lanthir would not have held him in the family quarters. The very idea is absurd."

"I do know that, my lord," Legolas said quietly. "But, Tureden had given Lanthir an explicit order..."

"An illegal one," Thranduil interrupted.

"Maybe. That is for you to judge and not me. Lanthir was told, by his officer, that he was required to stop me if I tried to leave the family quarters, much less the stronghold. I did not feel comfortable putting him in the position to have to choose between obeying his commanding officer and obeying me. I am not of age. I do not truly have the right to expect anyone's obedience. Everyone gives it to me, especially when you have set me some duty, and then I do expect it, but otherwise, when it is given, it is a courtesy and nothing more. I know that. I thought that expecting Lanthir to obey me after he had been given a contradicting order would be an abuse of that courtesy."

Thranduil could not deny that he respected that reasoning. Still, it was no excuse. "Then you should have simply remained in the family quarters and spoken to me or the queen about the misunderstanding you had with your guard when one of us returned."

"I see that now, my lord," Legolas said. "Tureden and I had agreed to speak to you in the morning. I should have..." Legolas appeared to struggle for a word. His mouth formed the word 'endured' before he cut himself off. "I should have stayed in the family quarters until then," he finally finished.

"I doubt I could have born to be forcibly imprisoned immediately after escaping the men that held me," Lindomiel said in a very soft voice. "I could hardly abide being inside the stronghold of my own free will after that incident. It felt too...enclosing. To have the choice to stay or go taken from me? I would not have born that well."

As it always did when he was reminded of any difficulty his wife had been forced to experience, Thranduil felt his blood freeze in response to that statement. Surely, Legolas had not truly.... He looked at his son in time to see him nod once at his mother. For a brief moment, before Legolas managed to rein in his expression, he saw...it could only be described as raw panic flash in his eyes at the suggestion of being held against his will. After all Legolas had suffered recently...

Thranduil closed his eyes. He heard Tureden whispering an apology to Legolas. How it was received, Thranduil did not see.

"Enough," he said quietly.

He remained silent, eyes still closed, for a long moment. Then he shook himself into motion--he shrugged off the formal robe he was wearing, draped it over his chair and leaned across the table, reaching for his weapons where Conuion had placed them. He picked up the leather jerkin and mail the servant had brought, unwilling to argue over wearing it. He dropped the jerkin on the table and started to put on the mail, turning it over in his hand to find its fastenings. As he did, he faced Legolas to tell him to go back to his room. They would finish this discussion after he searched for Manadhien's servants.

Legolas's expression stayed that order. He either was making no effort to hide his shame, or he was failing miserably. But that was not what caught Thranduil's attention. Legolas's gaze was focused on the mail in his father's hands, as it had been earlier in the antechamber, and he was obviously debating with himself if he dared to speak.

Thranduil could not deny that if anyone else privy to the knowledge that Legolas had abused was standing before him, the very least he would demand in recompense would be that they go with him to hunt down any enemy that might have benefited from their lack of judgment. Since it was his son--the son this enemy had tried to take from him only a few days past--Thranduil found himself hesitating. Preferring the option of sending Legolas to his room.

"My lord," Legolas finally said, "please let me help search for Pelin. Allow me to do something..."

"No!" Lindomiel exclaimed, cutting him off.

"My lady, I must do something to redress the damage that I have done," Legolas whispered to her.

"It is too dangerous, Legolas," Lindomiel replied, voice pleading.

Legolas turned from her to Thranduil. "Please, my lord," he repeated.

Thranduil made his decision. "Tureden, go get Legolas's sword," he ordered.

Lindomiel's only reaction was to go very still.

Thranduil tossed the mail to Legolas. "Put that on," he said, pulling the leather jerkin on over his own shirt. Then, dragging his quiver towards him by its strap, he turned to Conuion. "I want as many of the Guard to come with us as is available," he ordered.

Galithil stood and grasped Legolas's wrist as he worked to remove his quiver to put on the mail.

"I want to do this, Galithil," Legolas said quietly. "I owe it."

Tureden finally obeyed the king's original order and moved off to fetch Legolas's sword.

"Hallion, tell Glilavan's escort that they will not be leaving tonight," Thranduil ordered.

"Yes, my lord," he replied. Like Lindomiel, his eyes were on Legolas.

"My lord, I will go with you," Galithil said, speaking quickly, so he could not be interrupted. As he did, he picked up Legolas's quiver and held it out of his reach. "Legolas cannot go. He re-injured his ribs sparring with Tureden. He could not possibly defend himself."

"I defended myself perfectly well against Demil with cracked ribs," Legolas retorted. "I shot Lagril out of the tree tonight..."

"I have had broken ribs. I know how painful they are. Prove you can defend yourself. Draw your bow again," Galithil challenged, tilting the quiver towards Legolas, offering him an arrow. "Right now. If you can, I will sit down."

Legolas glared at him. Then he yanked an arrow from his quiver. In an eye blink, he sent it into the dead center of the back of one of the scribe's chairs across the Hall. Thranduil looked from it, vibrating in the chair, to Legolas's face, contorted in pain, but still determined.

"Sit," Legolas commanded, hand out, expecting his quiver to be returned.

Galithil did not sit. Nor did he turn over Legolas's quiver. Aradunnon's son, Thranduil thought.

"There is no point in you searching, Galithil," Thranduil said. "You would not recognize any of the people we are hunting. Legolas will, else I would not risk taking him. He will be safe with me and the Guard." He gestured for Galithil to surrender the quiver as he stepped closer to Legolas, speaking so only he could hear him. "You will obey me and every member of the Guard as you would obey the Training officers. No matter what you are ordered to do, whether you understand the reasoning for it or disagree with it, you will do it. Instantly. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, my lord," Legolas answered swiftly.

"Galithil is correct? You re-injured your ribs sparring with Tureden?"

Legolas nodded. "I did not want to fight him. I honestly was not certain I could lift the sword." He paused and looked at his father. "I still am not," he confessed. "But I did manage the duel. Well enough to hit Tureden once. And my ribs do not hurt that badly. I could make that shot again," he nodded towards the arrow in the scribe's chair. "Not quickly. Not many more times. But I could do it."

"These guards and I are going to make sure Manadhien's servants remain far away from you, if we see one," Thranduil replied. "You will not be fighting any of them with blade or bow if I can help it. But you might recognize Pelin and we would not. That is what I need from you."

Legolas nodded again. "I will do it, my lord. I want to go. I want to do what little I can to make amends for this."

"So you shall," he said. He patted his shoulder and looked back at Conuion. He had called Pendurion and Belloth into the Hall. Colloth was standing with them. Even Lanthir had been called off his duty at the doors to the family quarters. Conuion nodded at Thranduil to signal the Guard was ready.

Tureden ran back into the room and straight to Legolas, sword in hand. Legolas took it and fastened it around his waist, grimacing slightly as he twisted to do so.

Thranduil turned a glare on Tureden. He was not done with him yet.

Legolas quietly kissed his mother's cheek and told her not to worry.

"Let us go see what we can find," Thranduil said.

*~*~*

meleth -- love
adar/ada -- Father/dad
Naneth/nana -- Mother/mum





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List