Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Sentiment's Turn  by Mysterious Jedi

Sentiment’s Turn

Chapter 7

Reflections in Rohan

Eventually, the time for Theoden’s burial arrived. Violet felt somewhat lonley without the Fellowship. In the short time she had known them, she had grown to love them. Beyond her expectations, they had judged her for who she was, not what she was.

In Rohan, the famous elf and dwarf were thinking of her.

“Violet is not a beautiful creature,” said Legolas, “but there is a certain light about her that is not in other orcs.”

“Well,” grunted Gimli, “I suppose we had better find that grandmother of hers and see if she is that way, also.”

“Indeed, Master Dwarf. First, though, let us head for Fangorn Forest. The trees have seen many orcs, perhaps they have met one of this kind.”

Gimli just rolled his eyes. Only an elf would look to trees for information!

While Legolas spoke to Gimli, Aragorn spoke to his foster brothers, Elladan and Elrohir. He knew they had passionately abhorred orcs since their mother’s capture. However, sometimes they viewed him as a mere human boy. Perhaps he could speak as though Violet’s situation was just a daydream.

He stared off into the distance, trying to look thoughtful. “I wonder,” he began, “there are good and evil men, and even good and evil Maiar. I wonder if there are good and evil orcs?”

The brothers stared at him. “Estel, Estel, Estel,” lectured Elladan, “orcs are different. They are in bondage and have been for generations.”

“Now that Sauron has fallen, could they not return to the light?” Aragorn persisted. “Is it really fair to discriminate against all of them because of their race? What if an orc somehow escaped from the other orcs and learned a useful trade. Would you give him or her a chance?”

The twins giggled, which was so amusing coming from elf lords that Aragorn nearly started giggling himself. Elrohir regained something resembling composure first.

“Estel, if it did that it would probably just be a spy. You are so compassionate and always want to temper justice with mercy. It’s an excellent trait in a leader, but save it for men.”

Aragorn just nodded. He would get no help from the twins, that was clear.

TBC

If you can offer corrections, comments, constructive criticism, have a question, or just want to make an author happy, then please review!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List