Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Once Upon a Time in Lindon  by Sarcastic Elf

Disclaimer: LOTR and all related characters were created by J.R.R. Tolkien. No money is being made off this fic.
Spoilers: Possibly The Silmarillion, but I don't really think so.


Chapter 3

The first thing Elrond was aware of was that his head really hurt. He could not remember ever having a headache that bad. The next thing he realized was that he was being carried. Though that did not last for long as he felt himself being thrown rather roughly onto something hard. He was vaguely aware of something being thrown down beside him, but was still trying to clear his head enough to make sense of the whole situation.

He heard the sound of something slamming shut and the sound of several voices, but he could not make out what they were saying. He rolled over onto his back and hit something that he realized to be another body.

Thranduil!

It all came back to him in a rush and, ignoring the pounding in his head, Elrond forced his eyes open and pushed himself into a sitting position. He then realized that they were in a wooden cage, which was within a tent. The cage was barely large enough for the both of them and the bars looked strong and solid. But Elrond did not bother with a close examination as he turned his attention to the young Elf beside him.

Thranduil was still unconscious. Elrond hoped he stayed that way for a while so he would not feel any pain when he cleaned the wound.

Elrond let out a bitter curse as he realized they had not been given any water with which to clean out the wound. Reaching inside his robe, he discovered that all of their possessions had been taken from them, including the pouch of healing herbs he always carried with him.

There is nothing I can do about it now, he though, shaking his head. I'll just have to the best I can.

On examining the wound, Elrond was relieved to find that the blood flow was already beginning to slow. Elrond pulled off his cloak and saw that it was dirty and would not do for bandaging the wound.

Just then, the flap of the tent opened and a woman stepped inside. To Elrond's relief, she was carrying a tray with basin of water and some bandages.

The woman started when she saw Elrond awake something she was obviously not expecting. She froze at the opening.

"Please," Elrond spoke when she hadn't moved. "I need those to treat my companion."

"I…" she spoke hesitantly. "I was sent to care for the young one."

"I can care for him myself," Elrond replied, trying to keep his voice calm so as not to scare the woman any further. "But I need those supplies."

The woman blinked several times and looked down at the items in her arms, as if just suddenly realizing she carried them. She quickly, but cautiously sent the tray down on the ground and then pushed it toward Elrond. Elrond reached out through the bars as soon as it was within his reach and pulled it to the cage.

"Thank you," he said softly to the woman.

She nodded and began backing out of tent, not taking his eyes of Elrond. Elrond simply ignored her and set to work on cleaning Thranduil's wound.

Elrond has just finished bandaging the injury when a soft moan heralded Thranduil's return to the waking world.

"Try not to move," Elrond said softly as Thranduil's eyes fluttered open.

"What happened?" Thranduil asked.

"What do you remember?" Elrond countered.

Thranduil closed his eyes, searching his muddled memory. "Men," he said. "They attacked us." Thranduil's eyes suddenly snapped open and he sat up. "They killed Lagor!" he cried, remembering his mighty steed lying on the ground with an arrow in his neck. He then winced and let out a gasp as his body protested against the sudden movement.

"Take it easy," Elrond cautioned as he helped Thranduil lay back down. "You lost quite a bit of blood and you need to rest."

"Where are we?" Thranduil asked.

Before Elrond could answer, the flap at the entrance of the tent opened and the leader of the men who had attacked him walked in.

"Ah, so you are awake," he said rather cheerfully. "I have to admit it surprised me to see you up so soon."

"What did he say?" Thranduil asked, trying to push himself up. Elrond, realizing the young Elf was not going to stay down, helped him sit up and then positioned himself behind Thranduil to support him.

"Who are you?" Elrond asked the man. "Where are we?"

The man before them gave a mock bow. "Gur, at your service. And you are in my settlement."

Elrond frowned. He had not heard of any human settlement in this area.

"Thank you for bringing the water and bandages for me to treat my companion," Elrond said. "But why have you imprisoned us?"

"You were trespassing," Gur said nonchalantly.

Elrond shook his head. "But these lands are in the realm of King Gil-galad."

Gur shrugged. "I've never heard of him. But these lands belong to me now and you were trespassing."

"But we mean you no harm," Elrond tried to reason.

"My apologies," said Gur. "But there must be no exceptions. I have to protect my people. I don't know you. How can you expect me to trust your word?"

"What do you mean to do with us?"

Gur shrugged. "I haven't decided. But I trust you were able to treat the young one's wound effectively."

Elrond looked down at Thranduil momentarily and then back up at Gur. "Yes," Elrond replied suspiciously. He doubted the man had any real concern about Thranduil's well being.

Gur smiled. "Good." He addressed Thranduil. "How are you feeling."

Thranduil looked up at Elrond, confused. The older Elf translated for him and then conveyed Thranduil's response to Gur.

"He says he feels fine," Elrond said. Though he knew Thranduil was still very week, he would heal completely if given time and enough rest.

"Good," Gur said again. "I cannot have anything corrupting the results."

Elrond's eyes widened and he pulled Thranduil against himself protectively. "What did you do to him?"

Gur smiled. "I've never seen the effects of my poison on an Elf."

The blood drained from Elrond's face and he unconsciously tightened his hold on the younger Elf. "Poison?"

"The arrows were all tipped with it. Though, it's not quite poison," Gur admitted. "It will not kill him, at least, it has not killed anybody yet. But he'll probably wish he were dead in a few hours." He smiled. "And do you like your accommodations? It is fortunate that we had it free. We normally keep our guard dogs in there in the morning, but we had to put down the whole lot because they became rabid. Very fine workmanship, that; very solid build. I doubt even the strongest man would be able to break out. Ah well," Gur bowed again. "I will be back to check on you at night fall." He turned on his heels and walked out.

Thranduil looked up at Elrond. Though he did not understand what had been spoken, he would have to be blind to not know something was very wrong. "Elrond? Elrond, what is it? What did he say?"

Elrond looked down at Thranduil and sighed. Without his herbs, he would not even be able to ease his pain.

--

"This is madness, Gur."

Gur looked sharply at the man who addressed him and continued walking. "I did not ask your opinion, Rhaenyc."

"You should have consulted somebody before bringing them here," Rhaenyc continued, falling into step with Gur. "What if there are other Elves around? What if they come looking for them? They will not be happy with that way they are being treated. Especially the younger one."

"So what do you suggest we do?" Gur asked impatiently.

"Let them go," Rhaenyc replied.

"And have them run home to their friends and tell them that the evil men locked them up?" Gur shook his head and stopped before a large tent. "That'll surely bring the Elves down on us."

"So what, exactly are you going to do to them?" Rhaenyc asked as he followed Gur into the tent.

"Well, I'm trying a little experiment with the fair haired one."

Rhaenyc rolled his eyes. "What did you do to him?"

Gur smiled and pulled a bottle off of a box that had been set up as a makeshift table. "I tipped my arrows in this and it was my arrow that hit him."

Rhaenyc's eyes widened. "By all that is good, Gur, he is naught but a child. You've seen what that foul stuff does to adults. You could kill him."

Gur shrugged. "Well, there is nothing to be done about it. If he dies, all the better. It will save me from having to do it myself."

Rhaenyc narrowed his eyes. "Then you do intend to kill them."

"What choice do we have? We can't let them go and it would be a bother to keep them here alive. Now go away, I want to rest."

Rhaenyc sighed. "Beware Gur," he said softly. "Your father was a good man, that is why we trusted you to take charge of our people. But he would not have approved of the way you are leading us, and neither do many who know of your actions and many do know."

Gur laughed. "And what of it? They are all frightened sheep! I have all the strongest man on my side. They know what will happen if they try to oppose me." His eyes narrowed and he stood his full height, which was a good half-foot taller than Rhaenyc. "You do know what will happen to those who oppose me, don't you," he asked, a threatening tone to his voice.

Rhaenyc said nothing for a while. Finally he sighed. "Of course, Master Gur."

"Good, good," Gur said, sitting down on his cot. "My father was right. You are a wise man. Now go, and have one of the maidens bring me some meat and drink."

Rhaenyc bowed. "Yes, Master Gur."

--

Roccondil hated being the bearer of bad news. He thanked the Valar he rarely had to do so and when he did, it usually consisted of telling a disappointed horse owner that their horse would be unable to bear them for a few days due to illness. It was nothing compared to the news he carried now.

"I must speak to the king," Roccondil said as the approached the guards outside of the royal council room.

"He has given order not to be disturbed," one of the guards replied.

"But this is urgent. I must speak to him immediately," Roccondil insisted.

The guards exchanged glances and one finally knocked on the door.

"Enter," came the response.

"Forgive the intrusion, My King," said the guard when he entered. "But…

"I must speak to you, King Gil-galad," Roccondil exclaimed, pushing pass the guard.

Sensing the alarm in the stable master's voice, Gil-galad and Oropher both rose to their feet.

"What is it Roccondil?" Gil-galad asked.

Roccondil bowed before continuing swiftly. "My Lord, Lord Elrond's horse has returned without him. There is no sign of him…" he paused and glanced at Oropher, "…or Prince Thranduil." He took a deep breath. "Lord Elrond's horse was injured."

Gil-galad and Oropher exchanged an alarmed glance. "Ready our horses," Gil-galad ordered Roccondil. He then turned to the guard. "Have a search party as soon as possible."

"Yes, sir!" both Roccondil and the guard said.

Less than a half hour later, a group of ten Elves on horseback were pounding their way into the forest.

*********************

Author's Note:

  1. There are no author's notes. Please have a nice day!




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List