Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Proposition  by Lindelea

Chapter 3.

‘I have a proposition for you both,’ Ferdi said, repeating the words he’d used to begin the conversation at the first. ‘The Thain has a proposition, that is.’

‘A proposition from the Thain,’ Hally echoed. ‘And why should we wish to do him, or any other of the Tooks, any favours?’

‘If only to keep the hope of a free Tookland alive,’ Ferdi said, ‘and if that’s not enough, then the dream of a free Shire some day, even if it be not within our lifetime.’

‘You honestly think that things are so very bleak?’ Rosemary said, shaken.

‘We do,’ Ferdi said. He didn’t have to specify the “we” – he was evidently moving in high circles in the Tookland, if he were authorised to speak for the Thain. ‘The Shire is lost – there’s no hope for her, but the Tookland is still free, and we will fight to the death to keep her so.’ He swallowed hard. ‘And if we should be so fortunate as to succeed, well then, the hope is that some day…’

‘The Shire for the Tooks?’ Hally wanted to know. Would they merely exchange one Chief for another?

Ferdi shook his head with a rueful smile. ‘The Tooks, for the Shire,’ he said. ‘At least, that’s what Paladin hopes. And he hopes that we won’t have to fight to the death to make it so, at least not all the Tooks. Hopefully there’ll be a few of us left, when the Shire is free at last.’

Rosemary found herself blinking away tears again. This was not the sort of sentiment she ever remembered hearing, under Lalia (and her son Ferumbras, who, though Thain, was also under Lalia’s control, for all practical purposes). Perhaps Paladin was a different sort of Thain.

‘So what is this proposition?’ Hally said, coming back to the point.

‘We need someone to befriend Lotho’s Men, those who are in his employ, his snitches and his louts,’ Ferdibrand said.

‘I don’t take your meaning,’ Hally said, and Rosemary sat up as straight as she could manage, considering the heavy burden she bore.

‘Your name will be a bane amongst decent folk,’ Ferdi said.

‘That’s nothing new,’ Rosemary broke in. ‘I was outcast from the Tooks, remember?’

‘Your name’s not a bane amongst the Tooks,’ Hally said wryly. ‘From what I understand, they haven’t even been able to speak of you by name since your disowning.’

‘You’ll be a disgrace, a family to be shunned by decent Shirefolk, not just by Tooks,’ Ferdi said, ‘objects of distrust and disgust.’

‘And this is to be an encouragement to us, to accept this proposition of yours? I mean, the Thain’s?’ Hally said in amaze.

‘Actually, it would fit right in with my position in the eyes of the Tooks and the Thain,’ Rosemary said. ‘But why should I be so obliging?’

Ferdi dropped his voice still lower. ‘Because Lotho’s Men would find reason to trust you,’ he said. ‘If you were to befriend them, to invite them to come round often… If you were to bake some of your marvellous delights to share with them, if you were to invite them to partake of your wondrous cookery…’

‘Enough of the flattery,’ Rosemary said, though she could hear the ring of truth in her brother’s voice. His words were not meant as mere flattery. He was being as sincere as he knew how.

‘If they were to come around often, if they felt relaxed and contented to be here,’ Ferdi continued.

‘Home away from home, for ruffianly folk, louts and thieves, thugs and hooligans,’ Hally said sourly. ‘A nice thing, that!’

‘If they felt relaxed enough to talk freely before you…’ Ferdi said.

Rosemary stiffened, then leaned forward. ‘You’re asking us to be snitches for you… for the Thain?’ she said in wonder and disgust.

Ferdi shook his head. ‘A “snitch” is someone who informs against his own kind,’ he said.

‘Spies, rather,’ Hally said. ‘A dangerous business.’

Ferdi nodded slowly. ‘Dangerous, indeed,’ he said. ‘A danger to you all, to you, Hally, to Rose, and – it is not something I say lightly, or with any pleasure – to your children.’

They sat in silence for a bit, digesting the thought.

‘The only alternative I see is for you to remove to the Tookland,’ Ferdi said. He felt of his pockets, and took out a folded paper. ‘I have here a pass, signed by Thain Paladin, to allow Rosemary to pass the borders of Tookland, – a pass, not a pardon,’ he added, seeing the sudden hope in Rosemary's face, and hating himself for having to quash it, ‘for the duration of the emergency – to seek refuge there, for the safety of your children.’

‘They’re not Tooks,’ Rosemary said. ‘Not if I’m not a Took, I should think.’

‘You were disowned,’ Ferdi said, ‘but according to the old traditions, your children are still Tooks, should they wish to claim their heritage.’

Rose took a sharp breath, and her eyes shone for a moment, before dulling again. ‘So,’ she said. ‘They’re Tookish enough to be in danger, should the Tookish resistance stir Lotho’s enmity.’

‘As it has,’ Ferdi acknowledge. ‘As it will continue to do. As it will grow ever worse, ever more dangerous for them, should their connexions become known.’

He put the folded paper upon the table, and Hally took it up and opened it. He did not read it, of course, for he did not know how to read, but he held it out to Rosemary. It was her birthright, or at least, it was their children’s birthright, and her decision to make. She took the paper from his hands, laid it down on the table in front of her, but did not try to read it in the semi-darkness.

‘And if we were to agree to spy for the Tooks and the Thain, what then?’ Rosemary said. ‘What advantage would that buy for my babes? Would they gain an inheritance, of Tookish land?’

Ferdi leaned forward. ‘More,’ he said.

‘More?’ Hally challenged. He cared nothing for land – owning, as he did, this piece of land, which had been a possession of the Tooks at one time, and had been granted to him by Mistress Lalia, of all people, in recognition of his service to the Tooks. She had died in an accident before his involvement in Rosemary’s escape had become known, or likely she would have done her best to revoke the deed. Let bygones be bygones. Let the dead rest in peace.

Of course, this piece of land lay outside the main bounds of the Tookland, leaving him and his family vulnerable to Lotho’s louts… ‘We’re listening,’ he said.

‘If you do this thing, for the Thain,’ Ferdi said, ‘for the Tooks,’ he paused a long moment, adding, ‘for the Shirefolk…’

‘Yes?’ Hally said.

‘Rosemary,’ Ferdi said, turning to his sister, and now his voice was pleading. ‘Paladin has promised to allow our father to own you once more.’

***

‘But she has been disowned, cast out of the family, her name stricken from the Yellow Book,’ Paladin protested. ‘I cannot revoke that!’

‘Ferumbras revoked a great many injustices after his mother’s death,’ Ferdi said. ‘Bans included.’ He ducked his head, not quite able to look the Thain in the eye. ‘As you well know, Sir.’

‘He chose not to revoke this particular Ban,’ Paladin said. ‘Her offence,’ (he would not speak her name, even though he as The Took, head of the family, was the only Took who might have the authority), ‘was against Ferumbras, after all, when she chose to run away instead…’

‘Instead of marrying a hobbit old enough to be her grandfather!’ Ferdi snapped. ‘You yourself were aghast – the Tooks were scandalised! The only hobbits in favour of the match were old Lalia and Ferumbras himself, and how he could agree to such a—‘

Paladin sighed. ‘Mistress Lalia had a way of turning hobbits to her will,’ he said, old pain in his eyes.

‘But you could reverse it!’ Ferdi insisted. ‘You could reverse the judgment…’ He stopped, arrested by the expression on the face of the Thain.

‘Do you think I did not try?’ Paladin said, his tone infinitely sad. ‘Did you think…? But you know yourself how I became Thain. My own son, and…’

Ferdi winced, for the memory was full of pain for himself as well. A tweenish trick, it had been. He and Pippin had decided to dye the Thain’s prize pony blue, but the beast had kicked over the lantern and nearly set the Great Smials stables ablaze. The entire building would likely have gone up, but for Pippin’s courage in fighting the flames, while Ferdi ran for help. Ferumbras’ heart had failed him on hearing the news.

‘...and her brother,’ Paladin said, meaning Pippin and Ferdi, the two pranksters. ‘I asked, but the Tooks refused me. I could not push,’ Paladin said. ‘I was barely Thain, but for a few days, and that because of the actions of my son and... her brother, and my counsellors would not consent to lifting that particular Ban.’

‘But now…’ Ferdi said.

Paladin shook his head. ‘I’ve been Thain for barely three years now,’ he said. ‘You know how long it takes the Tooks to accept a change. So far as they’re concerned, I might’ve become Thain just yesterday. I can make no sweeping changes until I’ve been Thain a good twenty years, and you know it.’

Ferdi made a wry face and nodded. How well he know the Tooks and the grasp tradition maintained.

‘Her children are Tooks,’ he said. ‘By the old laws, they cannot be disowned, except for their own actions. Their mother’s offence is not applied to them. And they are in danger – you know from the reports we are receiving that Tooks outside the Tookland are being mistreated, and the mistreatment is growing ever worse.’

‘They would hardly harm little children,’ Paladin said.

‘But they might very well harm the mother,’ Ferdi insisted. ‘Would that not harm the children?’

‘Then let them come to the Tookland,’ Paladin said.

‘Without their mother? They are but small children, and Ro—she is with child yet again,’ Ferdi said. ‘Would you have the children suffer for the wrong done their mother?’

‘Very well,’ Paladin said in exasperation, holding up a hand to stay any further comment on Ferdi’s part.

The hobbit watched in growing hope as the Thain pulled a piece of paper towards himself, dipped his pen, and began to write, quite deliberately, pausing to think several times. At last Paladin replaced the pen in its holder and turned the paper towards Ferdi. ‘Will that do?’ he said.

Ferdi read through the paper. ‘A pass,’ he said, ‘allowing… her to return to the Tookland and reside here with her children, for the sake of her children who are Tooks, for the duration of the emergency.’

‘It’s the best that I can do,’ Paladin said.

‘I think you might do better,’ Ferdi said. As the Thain raised his eyebrow in challenge, he plunged on. ‘The plan, to gather information outside the bounds of the Tookland,’ he said.

‘What about it?’ Paladin said quietly.

‘She and Hally live in the Woody End,’ Ferdi said. ‘We know there’s a nest of the vipers settled in there…’

‘And how do you plan to gather information there? Those ruffians are all too familiar with your face.’

‘What if someone else gathered the information, and I simply stole over the border to collect it and bring it back?’ Ferdi said.

‘Someone else, as in Hally and his wife?’ Paladin said, sitting back in his chair and steepling his fingers.

‘If they were to appear to throw in their lot with the ruffians,’ Ferdi said. ‘To be in league with them…’

‘It would be very dangerous,’ Paladin said.

‘It would,’ Ferdi agreed. ‘And as I have visited them often…’

‘I didn’t hear that,’ Paladin said. ‘Do not even say such a thing to me. Should the Tooks hear…’

‘You’d have to banish me as well,’ Ferdi said, a dare in his eye. ‘I know that area well. I know their routine, the passing of their days.’

‘Someone else,’ Paladin tried to suggest, but Ferdi shook his head.

‘I don’t know any other hobbits in that area very well at all,’ he said. ‘After all, my visits…’

‘I am not hearing this,’ Paladin said, holding up his hand.

‘…had to be conducted in secret, lest they came to the ears of the Tooks…’

‘And so of course, you don’t know anyone in that area well enough to ask them to risk their lives for our cause,’ Paladin said sourly.

Ferdi spread his hands, palms up. ‘I know it’s a difficulty, but what can I do?’ he said.

‘You could cultivate another hobbit, or family,’ Paladin said.

Ferdi laughed, a short, sharp bark of disbelief. ‘While visiting the Woody End in secret, so that I may avoid ruffians who know my face all too well?’ he said.

‘Someone else,’ Paladin said. ‘Tolly, or Hilly…’

‘Send them to cultivate friendship with strangers, in these times, when all are suspicious of one another, and some hobbits actually have thrown in their lot with ruffians.’

‘And what makes you think Hally and… his wife have not?’

Ferdi laughed again, but it was not a merry sound. ‘Hally? That hobbit is as honest as the day is long in the summertime. He has courage, as well, or he wouldn’t have handfasted Ro—my sister—to save her from a forced marriage to the old Thain. The Thain might’ve made things very difficult for him, indeed.’

‘The old Thain might’ve, had he known just who thwarted Lalia’s plan,’ Paladin said. ‘I certainly have no bone to pick with the hobbit.’

‘Such a dangerous, heroic effort deserves reward,’ Ferdi said.

‘Reward?’ Paladin said, raising his eyebrow.

‘Should… my sister take on this difficult and dangerous task, she’d be sacrificing her own interest for the benefit of the Tooks,’ Ferdi said.

Paladin nodded slowly. He began to see Ferdi’s aim.

‘As far as reward,’ Ferdi said. ‘The Tooks have nothing that she should want, except for one thing.’

‘Aye,’ Paladin said, and breathed deeply, as if to say he knew what was coming, and he did not care to hear it. ‘And if they don’t?’

Ferdi’s gaze hardened for a moment, but then he nodded, and shrugged. ‘What a pity it would be,’ he said, ‘to have such a large blind spot – with a nest of ruffians – all of the Woody End, and no way of knowing if they were coming at us from that direction.’

Paladin shook a finger at him. ‘Be careful, Ferdibrand. Be very careful. You’re on thin ice…’

Ferdi shuddered at the thought of walking over a body of water, frozen or otherwise. ‘So if she does this thing,’ he forged ahead, ‘the Tooks must own her once more. They must. She’ll be risking her life, Hally’s life, and the lives of her children on behalf of the Tooks…’

‘Should she die, I think I could persuade them.’

‘No!’ Ferdi said, and then lowered his voice again. ‘Whether she gives her life in the effort, or survives, her name must be written in the Book, her position reinstated, her inheritance restored.’

‘That’s a great deal to ask,’ Paladin said, beetling his eyebrows together.

Ferdi shrugged again. ‘It is a great deal to ask, all around,’ he said. ‘But that is the bargain, and no less.’

Paladin shook his head. ‘The old Thain would have banished you for this,’ he said.

‘Banish me if you like,’ Ferdi said. ‘But then you truly will have a blind eye in the Woody End.’

‘Blast you, Ferdi,’ Paladin said. ‘What can I say?’

Ferdi smiled, a small, grim smile. ‘You can say yes,’ he said. ‘Or no.’ He took a deep breath and let it out again, slowly. ‘But I should recommend “yes”, if you were to ask me.’

***

...to allow our father to own you once more.

Rosemary gasped.

‘If you take on this task,’ Ferdi said, and drew a deep breath, for he must be completely honest in this, and it was the lives of his sister and her family that would be at risk, ‘whether you survive, or no,’ for nothing but the brutal truth would suffice, ‘he will see you restored to the family,’ Ferdi continued. ‘He will write your name once more in the Book. He has sworn it, to me and before witnesses.’

‘Signed in red ink, no less,’ Rosemary said faintly. ‘Or so I presume.’

‘Aye,’ Ferdi said, his voice so low as to be nearly inaudible. He blinked, as if nearly overcome by emotion, and then he said, stronger. 'Will you come, seek refuge in the Tookland? Or will you fight for the Shire?'

***





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List