Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Thain Peregrin I: the First Days  by Garnet Took

Epilogue: the Free Fair


Sam Gamgee stood on the platform that had been built in the main pavilion of the fairgrounds.  “It is with great pleasure that I declare the Free Fair of 1434 open!”  There were cheers from the assembled hobbits.  “I also want to remind all of you,” he continued, trying to be heard over the din, “that this is an election year so don’t forget to cast you vote for Mayor.  All candidates will be speaking here this afternoon, so come and lister and then go vote.  Also, please remember, that at the conclusion of the festivities, we will be convening to affirm our new Thain.  In the meantime, go forth and enjoy yourselves.

“Great speech, as always,” said Merry Brandybuck, clapping the current Mayor on the back.

“And all the better since we know he’s going to get seven more years to perfect it even more,” add Pippin as he handed over a mug of ale to Sam.

Sam saluted them with the mug and took a long pull.  “Now this is the way to begin an afternoon at the fair, good friends and good ale.”

The three laughed together.  These times were becoming rarer as they each took on more and new responsibilities, but that made them treasure them all the more.

“So, are you comin’ to listen to the speech makin’ this afternoon?” Sam asked.

“No,” answered Pippin emphatically.  “I already have my mind made up and don’t need to hear what the others have to say.  I’m just so glad you decided to run again, Sam.  Just think, if you’d have given it up, Strider would have lost one of his best advisors in a position of authority in the North Kingdom.  I don’t think he fancy having to get to know and work with someone else all that much.  Not to mention, Merry and I having to train someone else int he workings of outside politics.”  Merry grimaced at that statement.

“Don’t count you chickens too fast there, Mr. Thain-of-the-Shire, I haven’t been reelected yet.”

“But you will be, we’re sure,” said Merry.  “Hobbits can be stubborn but they’re no fools,” here he gave a wink to Pippin, “they’ll reelect you.  They’ve gotten used to your speeches and they all know where you live so, if they can’t catch you here, they know they can find you at Bag End.”

“There is that,” agreed Sam.

-----

At noon on the last day of the fair, everyone gathered at the main tent on the grounds again.  Those who couldn’t fit inside stood as close as they could get.  On the stage, the four lead shirriffs, one from each farthing, who served as the election officials.  Everyone hushed as one of them raised his hand for quiet.

“After counting all the votes cast as of sunset last night, it is our great pleasure to announce that the Mayor’s office will remain in the capable hands of Samwise Gamgee for another seven years.”

The place irrupted in cheers, and many were convinced that those cheering the loudest were the Master of Buckland and the new Thain.

-----

All the venders had packed up their wares and all the livestock were being readied for transport to wherever they were going and there was a general sense of quiet sadness that another Free Fair was over.  There was only one thing left to do.

All the family representatives had gathered in the large tent for one last time this year.  They were there to either confirm or decline the previous declaration by the Tooks of the new Thain.

Pippin sat nervously as the names of all the families were called and each representative acknowledged.  He thought they’d never end.

Then, suddenly, before he realized it, he was being called on to address the group.

“Good evening, everyone,” he began.  “I hope that you, and your families, had a wonderful time at this year’s fair.  We have all been blessed with good friends, good fun and good weather.  That last is certainly never guaranteed.”  He chuckled and there were echoing chuckles and nods from the crowd.  “I will keep this brief since a decision must be reached and you all are anxious to return to your homes.  For the last two and a half months, I have been doing my best to see to the needs of the Tooks in my new role as family head.  I have been acting as Thain of the Shire and trying to do for all hobbits the same as I have fore my family.  It is my hope that, after having the chance to talk to me, other Tooks and those who are aware of the wider doings of the Shire, you all will find it within yourselves and in the best interests of this Shire we all love to affirm me as your Thain.  I don’t ask for the position for the glory and recognition of the title.  I ask for it as an opportunity to serve the land and people I love.”

Once his speech was done, Pippin was ask to leave so that the discussion and vote could be conducted secretly.

As he waited, he found himself pacing.  It wasn’t something he did often.  It’s a habit he might have developed more if he hadn’t injured his knee when the troll at the Black Gate had used him for it’s final pillow.  He tended these days to fiddle with objects on his desk or, when those weren’t available, things in his pockets.  On this evening, he happened to find a left-over toffy that had probably been intended for Faramir.  In his nervousness, he absently opened it and popped it into his mouth.  Just then, Merry and Sam came to bring him back.  He had to chew and swallow the sticky treat as fast as possible.  His friends just shook their heads.  This was classic Pippin and the Shire was just going to have to get used to it.

“Sam and Merry, as the two highest official besides the Thain, went to the stage to make the public announcement.

“It wasn’t as big of a landslide as Sam’s reelection, Merry admitted to all, but it is definitely a large enough margin to say that the next Thain of the Shire is Peregrin Took.  Congratulations, cousin.”

There was a lot of clapping, but not all seemed to share in the positive feeling.  Pippin noticed that there were several who either just sat there or actually left.  He knew he would have a lot of bridges to rebuild and a lot of proving that he had matured to do.  Being the youngest person to ever hold the office was not going to be easy.  Despite this, as he looked to his two best friends, he smiled.  He knew that with them behind him, he could do this.  Between the three of them, they’d make the Shire a place to be proud of and in so doing they would make their King proud, and Frodo too.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List