Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Completion  by Garnet Took

6

The day after the funeral, Diamond’s parents asked her and Pippin to join them for a private conversation over tea.

“As you know well, “ the Olangard North-Took said, “we have been left with Jade and Rudy’s two little ones to raise.  We love them dearly and would gladly have them with us but, lets be honest, neither of us is young anymore and we could very well breathe our last before either of them come anywhere near their majority.  They need a home with parents young enough to keep up with them and other children to play with.  Besides us, you two are their closest relatives.  It’s been a perfectly acceptable tradition for aunts and uncles to raise nieces and nephews with their own children.”

Pippin nodded.  “Frodo was raised for several years by Uncle Saradoc and Aunt Esmeralda after his parents died.  In fact, I think Merry thought Frodo was really his brother for a while.”

“Exactly,” said Diamond’s father.  “We don’t want to force you into something you’re not comfortable with, but we really hope you will at least consider it.”

-----

Once they were safely within the confines of their guest room, Pippin and Diamond had a serious talk.

“What do you think?” he asked.

“To be completely honest,” Diamond answered, “I’d take them in a heartbeat.  You know I love children and being a mum has been pretty much an obsession for me.  The thought of adding two children to the family is exciting for me.  The circumstances are not good but they never are when children are orphaned.”

Pippin nodded.  “I know you love having children and adopting is a viable option, and one we had discussed, but we’ll also have to deal with two children grieving the loss of their real parents.  Ruby will probably adapt quicker sense she’s so young, but Bandy is going to have a lot more trouble.  He’s going to ask hard questions you can be sure and he may refuse to view us as parental authority.  Now, I think they’ll both come ‘round eventually but it won’t be an easy road.”

“I know,” she agreed.  “I think, before we decide anything, we should spend some time with the children and see what our Faramir thinks of them as well.  After all, he will have to be big brother to them.”

“I’m so proud of you,” Pippin said, stepping close and infolding her in his arms.  “You’re really thinking this through.  You are so much more grounded than I ever will be.  If our situations were reversed, I’d have rushed ahead without even asking questions.”

Diamond smiled.  “Everyone says I’m the level-headed one is this family.”

“And they would be right,” he agreed.

-----

They finished getting ready for bed and snuggled together in the small guest bed. 

“This is cozy,” Pippin giggled.

“Yes, yes it is,” agreed Diamond.

“Maybe we should take advantage of the small space.”

“There’s something strange about doing that in my parents home.”

“It’s not like we’re tweens,” said Pippin, smiling.  “I do understand though.  The walls are thick and no one will hear I’m sure.”

Before Diamond could raise any more objections, Pippin captured her mouth in a deep kiss.  After that, she needed no more urging and soon they were lost in the rhythm of their love.

-----

The next morning after breakfast while the Diamond and her mother cleared away the dishes and planned a morning of cuddling babies and talking, Pippin went to spend some time with his son.

“Faramir,” called his father.  “Would you mind coming for a walk with your old dad?”

The little lad left the toys he was playing with and quickly joined his father.  “Where are we going?” he asked.

“Shall we go look for the first signs of Spring in the North?”

Faramir nodded eagerly.

They walked slowly over the moor looking at the first shoots of growth popping up through the rapidly melting snow.  The air was still quite cool so lingering too long was not comfortable.  After they had wandered for a little while, Pippin began to speak.

“Faramir, my lad, how do you feel about being a big brother now that you’ve had a few months to live with it?”

Faramir seemed to screw his face up in concentration.  “It’s all right, I suppose,” he finally answered.  “I’ll like it better when Sassy grows up a bit.  Can I tell you something, Da?”

“You can tell me anything.”

“Is it wrong to be sad your sister isn’t a lad?”

Pippin had to hold back his laughter. “No, it’s not wrong.  I can’t tell you the number of times I wished something would happen and suddenly one of my sisters would turn into a lad.  It never happened so I was stuck with three big sisters.  At least you’re the older one.”

“That’s true,” Faramir laughed.  “She won’t be able to dress me up like a doll like your sisters did to you.”

“No, she won’t be able to do that.  Now, I have another question for you.”

Faramir looked up attentively.

“How do you fill about your cousin Bandobras?  Do you like him and do you get along with him?”

“Yes,” answered Faramir.  “I like him.  We fight sometimes but we always make up.  It’s fun to be around him because we can play together and don’t have to bother the grown-ups as much.”

“Do you think he’d fit in back home?”  Pippin was realizing that his son was actually the one who would know how a child would fit into the dynamic of the complex familial relationships at Great Smials.

“I think he would in time.” was the eight-year-old’s honest assessment.  “It’s a lot different than here.  There’s just so many more people and everything there.  I think that without anyone he’d be really sad though.  I know I would if I didn’t have you and mum.  It’s so sad about his parents and I know he’s sad about it.”

“Yes, I know everyone’s sad,” agreed Pippin.  “Do you think we would make a good new family for Bandy and his sister?  Would you like to have him for a brother?”

Faramir stopped walking and looked seriously at Pippin.  “You mean they’d come live with us and call you and mum their parents and be my little brother and sister, and Sassy’s big ones?”

“Something like that,” Pippin said.  “They may never feel right calling your mum and me their parents but we’d still be that to them.  Your grandparents here want us to take them so that they can have a big, loving family but we didn’t want to do that without your approval.  You would have to share us even more than you do with Sassy and we would all have to learn how to share time with each other but you’d never have to worry about not having playmates.”

“I think we should do it,” said Faramir.  “They need a family and you and mum need more children to love.”

Pippin hugged his son tightly.  “You are a sweet soul, my son, and you will make a wonderful big brother.”

They turned to walk happily back to the North-Took Smial.  As they walked, Faramir pointed and exclaimed, “Look!  There’s the first violet of Spring.”

-----

Once the children were settled for the evening, Pippin and Diamond sat together for a few moments.  It was the first chance they’d had all afternoon or evening to talk.

“So, what happened on your walk with Faramir?”

“All the snow has almost melted and we saw the first flowers of the season,” Pippin answered.

Diamond laughed a little at his comments.  “That’s nice,” she said, “but I was really wondering how your talk went.”

Pippin could no longer hide his grin from his wife.  “We have an amazingly mature and observant son,” he told her.  “He knows that Bandy will have the hardest time fitting in and that he may never see us as his ‘parents’.  Faramir also said that he would help in any way he can to make Bandy and Ruby feel at home.  Of course, you know that will all go out the window when the lads have their first fight.”

Yes,” agreed Diamond, “but they’ll reunite when the two lasses start pestering them.  In fact, that will probably be the time they feel the most like brothers.  Are you concerned about Ruby?”

Pippin shook his head slightly.  “Not as much,” he said.  “She’s young and will probably eventually not remember any of this time in her life.”

Diamond gave a little sniffle and Pippin suddenly realized that that may not have been the best thing to say.  He reached for her and held her close.  She lay her head on his shoulder.

“It’s so sad that she won’t remember her mum,” she softly cried into the fabric of her husbands shirt.”

Pippin patted her gently on the back.  “You’ll help her remember.  That’s why your the best person to be her new mum.  You knew her real one better than anyone.”

Pippin shifted their positions slightly and gathered Diamond close in a hug.  He gave her a kiss that let her know how much he loved and admired her.  “You’re amazing,” He whispered.

“You’re pretty special yourself,” she quietly answered as she let her forehead rest against his.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List