Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Short Accounts of Middle-earth  by Nieriel Raina

200 words


A birthday gift for Thundera Tiger

Great Effort

Thranduil watched the dwarf closely. Gimli son of Glóin remained courteous to everyone, respectful and polite in all ways. Thranduil could find not one excuse to expel the dwarf from his presence, at least not without causing enmity between himself and his youngest son. He sighed. He did not like it, this friendship that grew between Legolas and the dwarf. Such things never came to a good end.

Legolas threw back his head and laughed at something the dwarf said, the bright sound echoing in the chamber. There had been little laughter in these halls since Legolas left for Rivendell so many moons ago - little reason for mirth in the preceding months of war and fire. The laughter was echoed by those seated near the unusual pair.

Thranduil did not like it, this acceptance of the dwarf by his people. He wished it gone, fair riddance! But Legolas had invited it to stay for a time.

The laughter continued as the dwarf used his hands with great animation to tell some story. And while Thranduil glowered at it, Legolas looked up at him, his smile slowly slipping from his face as their eyes met.

With great effort, Thranduil smiled.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List