Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Never Again  by Nieriel Raina

Chapter Two: A Late Night "Discussion"

The moon shone high in the night sky as Legolas's stallion brought him closer to Minas Tirith. Celedae was everything his name implied as he raced across the Pelennor Fields, truly a silver shadow, slipping almost soundlessly through the night. Legolas yawned, eager to arrive in the city and get some rest. He had not slept in many days and his emotional turmoil had drained him. Riding alone with his thoughts had only increased his guilt over his self-imposed exile from his friends.

A smile curved his lips as the great gates Gimli had designed came into view. The guards halted him briefly but sent him on his way when they recognized him. Celedae's hooves clattered over the stones as he trotted through the empty streets, pausing at each gate by the night guards before going through to the next level. With most of the people asleep at this hour, it did not take him long to reach the sixth level.

He was admitted into the stable by a man who watched the horses through the night. Legolas took the time necessary to tend to his horse, not neglecting any aspect of his care, no matter how exhausted he felt. After cleaning out Celedae's hooves and rubbing down the silver coat, he left Celedae in a clean stall, making sure the tall stallion had plenty of fresh hay and clean water.

Making his way on foot to the seventh gate, he paused to speak with the guards for several minutes as they were more well known to him than those who watched the lower gates. With a last wave, he made his way into the courtyard, past the white tree and the Great Hall of Feasts, stopping to gaze up at the White Tower before striding up to the King's House — the large stone building that housed not just the king, but the Citadel itself as well as many rooms and guest chambers.

The door opened before he reached it and a familiar looking man came forward to greet him as he stepped inside. Legolas could not recall his name, but he paused as the man bowed then spoke. "Lord Legolas, King Elessar told us to expect you, but he did not think you would arrive for several days." The man seemed nervous at his unexpected appearance, fidgeting and glancing towards the Royal Wing. "All have retired for the night, however, I know the king would want to see you. Shall I announce you?" the servant asked, twisting his hands and not quite meeting Legolas's eyes.

Legolas shook his head. "Nay, do not disturb anyone this night. I am also weary and will see myself to my chambers. If you would simply let the king know in the morning that I have arrived, that will suffice."

"As you wish, my lord. Pleasant dreams," the servant returned, looking relieved as he bowed again then slipped away to return to his duties. Legolas smirked and made his way to his room.

While he was weary, he also needed to think about his meeting with his friends on the morrow. They would want to know why he had kept to himself in Ithilien for so long. He would not lie to them, but he could not bring himself to admit the whole truth either. Legolas was ashamed of his behavior. He would have to think this through before he spoke with Aragorn and Gimli, though the latter might not be so easily avoided.

Arriving at his door in the long hallway, Legolas pulled out his key and let himself inside. He slipped through the formal sitting room on silent feet and made for the left-hand door off of that room, closing it without even a click behind him. The moonlight from the open balcony door just across the bedroom illuminated the room, making the open door that connected his bedroom to Gimli's noticeable at first glance. He smiled to himself as he made his way to a chair where he deposited his pack. He placed his weapons on hooks on the wall, then glanced to the wash stand in one corner.

It would not be wise to wake Gimli at this hour. He was in enough trouble with the dwarf as it was without intruding on his sleep. But Legolas could not help stopping in the doorway and looking in on his friend. The sound of loud snores rumbled from within the adjoining room, and Legolas grinned. For once, that was a comforting sound. He had missed his friend.

Leaving the door open, Legolas removed his shirt as he walked over to the wash stand and as quietly as possible poured some water into the basin and dipped in a cloth to remove the dirt from his travels. The water was cool, but felt nice on his skin. Feeling refreshed, he stripped off the remainder of his clothes and moved to the wardrobe to pull out a clean nightshirt. He glared at it a moment, wishing he could go without, but this was not Ithilien. Gimli's sensibilities precluded his sleeping as nature intended.

Legolas wrinkled his nose and donned the garment, then slipped out the door of the balcony and perched on the stone railing. He looked up at the stars and hummed softly to himself. It was comforting to be here despite the cold stone. He sat there lost in the stars and melding the quiet night with elvish dreams.

A gruff voice from the doorway startled him to awareness.

"As much as I tire of your foolish ways, elf, it does not mean I wish you to disappear for a year. How am I to look after you, if you hide yourself away in Ithilien?"

Legolas's head jerked to the door where he found Gimli looking concerned and scowling, his thick arms crossed over his nightshirt. A slow smile tipped his lips as joy at seeing his friend filled his heart. "Forgive me, Gimli. I did not mean to wake you. Oh, but it is good to see you again."

Gimli stared back, unmoved by his general greeting. Legolas's smile faded as he realized there was not going to be any pleasantries returned. There were many emotions swirling in the eyes of his friend: concern, hurt, anger and was that fear? Legolas winced when he realized just how much his absence had worried the dwarf. There would be no jesting his way out of this. No, Gimli would insist upon a serious discussion, and Legolas dreaded it. He pulled his knees up to his chest, wrapped his arms around them and looked back up at the stars as he grasped at what to say.

"What is going on, Legolas? And do not take me for a fool! I want to know why you have been avoiding your friends. What's wrong, lad?"

The tone of his friend's voice and the concern that filled it shook Legolas. Rarely did Gimli sound like that. He bowed his head, his loose hair covering his face like a golden curtain. A moment later a warm hand was placed on his arm.

"Come down from there, laddie. Come sit and talk to me. You have had enough time to think about what to say." The dwarf's voice was insistent. Legolas slowly lifted his head, then slipped off the railing, moving to the bench just outside the door. Gimli joined him and waited for him to speak.

Not looking at his friend, Legolas began. "I am sorry it has been so long, my friend. I have been busy, but I should have made the time to visit as we had planned." Legolas looked up at Gimli, knowing that excuse would never suffice, and found anger in those dark eyes. It did not surprise him. His friend knew him too well.

"I told you not to take me for a fool. What on earth were you thinking, Legolas? A whole year! Do you have any idea how worried I have been for you? You cannot do that to yourself! It will destroy you!"

"I know, Gimli! Believe me, I know!" Legolas snapped. "But you did not come to see me either if I recall. You cannot put the entire blame for failing to see each other on me!" On the defensive now, Legolas did what came naturally, he struck back. He immediately regretted it and looked away.

"By Mahal, Legolas! You knew this year I would be unable to come to Ithilien. There has been much that required my presence in Rohan and in Erebor. I did not come to see you, Legolas, because I could not! That is why we had planned on your visiting me, or did you forget we were to travel to Eryn Lasgalen and the Lonely Mountain together this spring? You will not throw me off by turning this around, lad! You will tell me what is wrong!"

Legolas's shoulders slumped in defeat. Gimli was correct; he had known his friend could not visit him. He had been making excuses. "What do you want me to say, Gimli? That I allowed myself to get caught up in the sea's song? That the pain was so great, I isolated myself from all those who are close to me? That I–I was so caught up I did not even notice the change of seasons...and missed my visit with you? That I was so angry with myself that I could not bring myself to face you in the spring either? That I regret deeply not seeing you this last year?" Legolas forced himself to look up, grief filling him as he gazed at his friend. In return, the dark eyes of his friend were filled with compassion.

"If that is the truth, Legolas, then yes, I want you to tell me those things. I want you to trust me enough to be honest and stop hiding behind that pride of yours. I want you to remember I am your friend, not just someone with whom you can jest." It was true, in front of others they argued and teased one another mercilessly, but in heart they were as brothers.

"I apologize, Gimli. It is not easy to speak of these things. I had not realized how long it had been since I had seen my friends. I am here now. I was on my way here before I got the letter from Aragorn. I was foolish, I know!" He pleaded with his friend and was surprised when the concern and anger faded completely to be replaced by amusement.

"Did you just admit that you are a fool?" Gimli chuckled.

Legolas groaned. "That is not what I said. I said my actions were foolish, not that I am a fool! There is a difference." He sniffed in disdain, but felt his eyes crinkle with amusement.

Gimli's smile faded and the serious look returned. Legolas's mirth disappeared as he realized they would not fall into bantering and be done with it. This conversation was not over yet. There was no getting around the topic; it was time to be completely honest.

"It is getting worse, Gimli," Legolas whispered. He cleared his throat, and continued, "I could not stop myself from getting lost in the song. The pain was so great, I lost track of time. I told myself I was just immersed in restoring Ithilien, but I was losing myself to the sea. Two days ago, I realized how foolish I had been. Yes, I admit it. I was foolish! I promise I will not cut myself off from you again, elvellon."

Gimli reached out and put a hand on his arm. Legolas glanced over at him and noticed a rare sheen to the dwarf's eyes. "Legolas," he began, "you are my closest friend. It would pain me greatly to lose you to the sea. This last year…I worried that you were planning to sail and that was why you were distant." He paused and swallowed hard. "If you need to go, lad, leave with my blessing. I won't see you in pain for my sake."

Legolas felt the sting of tears in his own eyes. He blinked them back, touched at this gesture from his friend. "Nay, Gimli, I will not sail yet. I vowed to stay until the end of Aragorn's life, and I will fulfill that vow. I do not want to go — not if I have to leave you here. I simply needed to realize I cannot cut myself off from my friends. I cannot dwell on the song of the sea. Sailing would only be trading one hurt for another. No, I fear instead, you will be seeing much more of me, elvellon."

Gimli looked much relieved. It had cost him, Legolas knew, to make that offer. Exhaustion began to take hold of him as they sat there in the stillness. Emotionally and physically drained, Legolas felt true sleep closing in on him.

Finally, Gimli spoke. "Very well, if I must put up with more of you, so be it. But remember this, Legolas, you will not worry me like this again. If I had been able to get away, I would have tracked you down. Do this again, and I'll move to Ithilien myself! Right into that tree of yours!"

Legolas smiled, "You are always welcome in my tree." He yawned, "but somehow you have never made it there." He yawned again.

Gimli smiled and patted his arm, "Take some rest, Legolas. We have much to discuss and plan tomorrow. You look tired. I shall see you in the morning." He got up and strode back inside.

Legolas followed closely behind him. "Thank you, elvellon." Legolas spoke up softly.

The reply was gruffer yet just as sincere. "You're welcome, elf. Now get some sleep!"

Legolas smiled again as he laid down in his bed. The pain in his heart had eased in speaking to Gimli. Now he could get some much needed rest. He let his eyes slip closed as one last thought ran through his mind. He was truly blessed with a very good friend.

To Be Continued…


FOOTNOTES:

Celedae - Legolas's silver-gray stallion. His name means 'silver shadow'.

elvellon- elf friend. A term of honor given to certain mortals.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List