Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Never Again  by Nieriel Raina

Chapter Fifteen: Where the Heart Dwells

The door clicked closed behind Aragorn and Faramir, and Gimli glanced at Arwen, but the queen was once again soothing Legolas. His friend was quite distressed, and Gimli did not blame him. He could not imagine how horrifying it would be to forget who he was; it was bad enough watching his friend face it.

Unsure of what he could do to help the elf, Gimli had stayed in the background as Aragorn and Arwen spoke with Legolas, then attempted to calm him as he grew panicked. Gimli had spoken up from time to time, uttering reassurances. How many times tonight had he wished he had made the effort to learn more of the elf's language?

Gimli was also struggling with quite a load of guilt. He had been blaming himself for the cave-in ever since it had happened. After all, he was a dwarf! The one who should have sensed things soon enough to get out of there before it fell in on them. Now that Legolas had awakened without his memory, the weight of guilt had increased greatly. It was not a pleasant feeling. That morning on the way to the caverns, he had wished for a way to make Legolas forget, and now the elf could not remember him! Of course, Gimli had not been serious — Well, he had, but only about that stupid bat incident! Gimli frowned to himself at the thought. He had not meant for Legolas to get hurt. He would rather feel the sting of his pride for the rest of his days.

Then there was the matter of the caves. If he had not wanted to explore those caves, Legolas would never have even been there. Aragorn had only used them as an excuse to get Legolas to come to Minas Tirith. The King would not have pressured the elf into going into them.

'Neither did you,' a small voice in his head informed him, as if a part of Legolas had infiltrated his very conscious.

Gimli knew the words were true but could not allow himself to stop feeling the blame for what had happened to his friend. There was far more going on here than just the elf losing his memory. Legolas was suffering greatly. Aragorn had said nothing, but the man did not need to do so. Gimli knew his friend well enough to know the signs. Legolas still heard the sea; it was calling to him, and the elf had no memory of why he was still here. That late night conversation that now seemed so long ago haunted Gimli, and he bit his lower lip to still the turmoil in his chest. As he watched the elf's face and eyes, Gimli knew the truth, and it frightened him. He could lose Legolas to more than memory loss.

The door behind them finally opened again, and Aragorn reentered the room. Gimli drew in a sharp breath, startled as King Thranduil and Princess Anoriel stepped through the door. 'Well,' Gimli told himself, 'you should have expected this one as well. It was only a matter of time'.

He grunted in acknowledgment, stood and bowed slightly as custom dictated, then returned to his chair. Thranduil barely cast him a glance as he moved towards his son, and Gimli, unsurprised, turned his eyes from the elves back to Legolas. If seeing his father and sister helped bring his friend back, then even Gimli could tolerate them and their arrogance. All he had against Legolas's family, other than the fact that they disliked dwarves, was their lack of effort in accepting Legolas's decisions regarding his friends and where he lived.

Anoriel was the kindest and had tried the hardest to understand her brother. She even cast him a small smile as she entered the room. Gimli was actually quite fond of the lass who loved his friend almost as a mother would. He could not call her friend, but Anoriel had at least made an effort, where Legolas's brothers and father had taken a more confrontational stance, opposing the friendship at every turn.

As the elves neared the bed, Legolas's eyes widened and a look a shock filled his face. Lips slightly parted, the elf inhaled a large breath and as he released it, he breathed out one word. "Adar."

Gimli felt his heart lurch and swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. He refused the tears that threatened behind his eyes. He would not let them fall in front of all these people. Legolas alone had seen him cry; the elf was the only one who knew this side of Gimli. But it was difficult to hold back the tears as his joy began to overtake his melancholy. Legolas had remembered Estel, and now he recognized his father. It was a very good start and filled his heart with hope.

Thranduil seemed to be having some difficulty with his eyes as well, Gimli noticed, for they were bright with unshed tears while Anoriel let hers fall unashamedly down her cheeks. The Elvenking moved to the side of Legolas's bed, and sat down next to his son.

Legolas moved to sit up, but another flash of pain echoed in his bright grey eyes. Thranduil put a restraining hand on his son's shoulder before leaning down to draw the younger elf into an embrace. They held each other for a long moment before Thranduil released Legolas and sat back, just taking in the sight of his son. Neither spoke, though their eyes said much.

Anoriel sat on the other side of the bed, taking one of Legolas's hands in her own. Gimli watched as Legolas turned his head to look at his sister. A look of confusion crossed Legolas's face for a moment. He searched Anoriel's face as if searching his mind for who she was and then a soft smile touched his lips.

"Anoriel? Thial Naneth. An uir thiad lîn 'ell, muinthel vuin." Legolas spoke, his voice filled with love, caressing his sister's face with his eyes. "Guren linna ce cened."

Anoriel smiled sweetly at her brother, replying, "A guren linna ce cened, muindor vuin."

She reached a hand up to brush a strand of hair from Legolas's face, tucking it behind his ear. She asked, "Ce mae, Legolas?"

Gimli listened to the exchange. The language was truly beautiful, but he did not understand enough to follow the conversation. Still, his heart was full at seeing the siblings interact and seeing Legolas recognize not only his father, but his sister also. If only the elf would remember his friends, then all would be well.

"Im maer, Anoriel," Legolas answered, then turned to look again at his father.

Gimli could see the love shining in the eyes of both. He was surprised. Gimli knew Legolas loved his father, but never before had he seen that love returned so clearly in the eyes of the Elvenking. Thranduil had changed, but had he changed enough? Would he attempt to convince Legolas to leave? Or had the king accepted Legolas's place in Ithilien. Gimli desperately wished it was so.

"Telo bar a nin, nethben." Thranduil spoke to his son in a tone full of love and concern. Gimli had never heard the Elvenking speak such, and his heart leapt that Legolas might have one of his desires fulfilled — to be close to his father as a son should be. But Gimli understood the words 'come home' and was instantly fearful as well. It had begun… The Elvenking had come to take Legolas away from them.

Even as his heart despaired, Legolas answered his father. "Ithilien na nev, sa bar nin. Ce ista hi, Adar."

- o -

"Ithilien is near, it is my home. You know this, Adar."

Legolas spoke the words, but knew not from where they came. He had no memory of Ithilien; he only knew what Estel had told him about the land that had been his home for more than eight years. The man had told him that Thranduil had permitted it, but Legolas instinctively knew his father had not been pleased with his move. Thranduil had always wanted him to be near home, though he had never spoken of it in the tone of voice he had a moment ago. It was as if in some ways his father was a stranger, and Legolas did not think it had anything to do with his memory loss. His father was different, yet the same. Always overprotective when it came to his youngest child, yet now more open in his concern, emotions showing clearly in Thranduil's eyes.

As Legolas looked up at his father, Thranduil's eyes filled with a look of pain. Long had it been since Legolas had seen his father allow any emotion but anger to be revealed. Not since... Legolas searched for when it had been, but he could not remember. He struggled for the answers, but they had faded from his mind.

Instead, his father spoke. "Yes, I know this, Legolas. Do you? Do you remember Ithilien?" Thranduil asked him, and Legolas looked to his father in surprise. The King had read his son very well. "You need to be surrounded by what you do remember, my son, not by those you cannot recall. I fear for you here."

That was an uncommon statement coming from the Elvenking, but only unusual because he had spoken it in front of others, though it was doubtful the dwarf understood a word they said. Thranduil had spoken to Legolas of his fears before, but not with such love in his eyes and voice. Legolas hesitated to answer, knowing his reply would cause his father more pain.

Legolas's head ached. He needed to end this conversation and insist upon getting some rest. He had only just awakened and the emotional toil from all the talking was costing him what little energy he had. Time… Legolas needed time to process all that had happened to him, all the information he had learned. The pain in his head and heart grew stronger and suddenly, he wanted to be alone in the room, save for the comforting presence of the dwarf; a thing he could not explain.

"My mind may not remember the land, but in my heart I know that Ithilien is my home, at least until I sail." Legolas glanced at the dwarf, sitting in a chair not far from the bed, his cane across his lap. Legolas noticed a look of despair in Gimli's eyes, and he spoke again, this time in the common tongue rather than in elvish, drawing surprised looks from several in the room. "I may not remember many things, Adar, but I sense that healing will only be found here amongst the familiar faces that I do not remember…or by sailing west. I will not return with you; I belong in that wood no longer."

As his eyes darted between their faces, Legolas was not shocked by the looks he received. He could not explain how it had happened; he only knew that in that moment, the dwarf needed to understand, and so he had spoken in the common tongue, where before he could not. Legolas looked over at Gimli and smiled reassuringly.

- o -

Gimli felt his heart stop as Legolas looked at him and smiled. Legolas had spoken in Westron! Now he would be able to speak with his friend and maybe, just maybe, the elf would remember.

"Legolas, you..."

Gimli turned his head towards the voice as Aragorn paused, obviously pleased at what Legolas had said. But Legolas looked exhausted and in pain, and Gimli was about to address that Legolas needed rest when the elf spoke again.

"Estel, lasto nin." Legolas looked to those in the room. "Boe i bedil si. Boe i poston."

That was when Gimli noticed the others recognize the toll this night had taken on his friend. Anoriel and Arwen smiled, glanced at each other and both moved towards the door. Aragorn and Thranduil, both looked intently at Legolas before Thranduil nodded, consenting to his son's wishes.

"Ae han aníal, Legolas." Aragorn's voice expressed amazement as he smiled at the elf. "Indeed, it is good to see you taking an interest in your own health for once. We will let you get some rest."

Gimli knew the words had been spoken for his benefit as the King of Gondor glanced in his direction. Gimli would rather not leave Legolas just yet, but it was clear the elf needed sleep. Legolas also wished time to be alone, he instinctively knew. Gimli nodded as well.

"Han aníon. Boe i loston." Legolas replied with a sheepish smile, his eyes slowly blinking in sleepiness. Gimli smiled at the look on the elf's face.

Standing, Gimli moved to the door and waited patiently for the others to leave, a hand upon his cane for support. Thranduil lightly touched his son's cheek, then stood and quietly left the room without another word. Aragorn followed behind, pausing just outside the door for Gimli.

Gimli gave Legolas one last smile and then turned to go, but the elf's soft voice stopped him.

"Please stay, Gimli." Legolas asked. "I wish not to be completely alone."

A smirk turned his lips as Aragorn's eyes widened, having heard the comment as well. Gimli turned back around, smirk firmly in place.

"Can't stand to be without my presence, can you elf?" The smirk turned to a full smile.

Legolas smiled back and shook his head, "No, I just do not wish to turn you away from your own bed." He gestured with his head to the bed not far from his own. "It has been a long night, and you are tired as well. There is no need for you to hobble any further."

Gimli quickly prepared for bed, unable to keep the grin off his face. The elf had fallen asleep almost immediately, but Gimli did not mind in the least. For just a moment, his friend had returned.

To Be Continued…

Elvish Translations:

Adarfather

Anoriel? Thial Naneth. An uir thiad lîn 'ell, muinthel vuinAnoriel? You look like mother. Ever is your sight a joy, beloved sister.

Guren linna ce cenedMy heart sings to see you

A guren linna ce cened, muindor vuin And my heart sings to see you, beloved brother.

Ce mae, Legolas?Are you well, Legolas?

Im maer, Anoriel.I am well, Anoriel.

Telo bar a nin, nethbenCome home with me, little one

Ithilien na nev, sa bar nin. Ce ista hi, AdarIthilien is near, it is my home. You know this father.

Estel, lasto ninEstel listen to me

Boe i bedil si. Boe i postonYou all need to leave now. I need to rest.

Ae han aníalIf you desire it

Han aníon. Boe i loston– I desire it. I need to sleep.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List