Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Never Alone  by Nieriel Raina


  One Year Earlier...


  Ithilien, near Ascarnen


  9 Gwirith,
  Year 28 F.A.

The early afternoon sun filtered through the new green leaves, dappling the ground with rays of gold. A soft wind rustled the leaves. Colorful birds chirped and sang as they twitted about, foraging for insects and seeds. A pair of bright-eyed squirrels chased one another through the branches, darting this way and that. An item of curiosity caused the smaller gray in the lead slide to a sudden stop, while its red playmate, unable to stop in time, slid into him, chattering angrily. The gray did not respond, but sat frozen, just its nose twitching towards the person lying supine along the branch before it. The elf was harmless to him, and the squirrel knew it, but it still darted away with its partner when the elf began to move.

Aware that he had been observed so curiously but ignoring the usually amusing antics of the squirrels, Legolas shifted slightly on the branch where he was lying, angling his face away from the bright sunlight which had broken through the leaves above him. He settled back into a comfortable position, allowing his eyes to slip back to their half lidded state as he attempted to find his way back into elusive elven dreams.

A horn blast pierced the air, breaking the peaceful stillness of the forest, and Legolas's eyes snapped back open. He sat up on his branch, annoyed at the disturbance. He had been haunted by frequent images of the sea, allowing him little rest over the past many weeks. Legolas coveted the chance to catch what rest he could during the day, especially when the gulls were farther south and the sea did not pull so strongly at his heart. In the night, with the stars adding their shimmering song, the sea's call was nearly unbearable.

Irritated, he turned towards the sound of approaching horses and rose to the balls of his feet, balancing lightly upon the branch. Out of long ingrained habit, he reached for his weapons hanging on the branch beside him.

As a group of horses came into view, partially concealed by the lower branches of the large trees, Legolas called out, "Halt! What business have you in Ithilien?"

But it was a familiar voice that responded cheerfully from the middle of the group.

"Legolas? Come down from there! Is that any way to greet your father?"

His eyes widened in shock, then a huge grin spread across his face as he dropped to the ground as the group of ten mounted guards became clearly visible as they rode into a slight clearing. And from their midst rode forth King Thranduil of Eryn Lasgalen towards his youngest son, eyes sparkling as he dismounted.

"Adar!" Legolas was quickly pulled into a huge embrace. "What are you doing here?"

"Do you wish for me to leave?" Thranduil laughed.

Legolas shook his head and poked his father's shoulder playfully. "Nay, but you could have sent word that you were coming to visit!" When a shadow darkened his father's eyes, Legolas sobered. "What is it, Adar? Has something happened?"

Thranduil shook his head, but the shadow remained. "All is well…mostly." He sighed. "There are things we must discuss, Legolas, and I believe in private would be best."

Legolas nodded and joined the group as they continued on towards the settlement of Ascarnen.

— ~ —

"Your siblings and I are sailing West."

Legolas sat in stunned silence, watching his father pace the room, distressed by Thranduil's announcement.

They had ridden swiftly to Ascarnen, where the king's guards were given quarters. Then once everyone was settled, father and son had moved Legolas's talan. They had sat and talked casually for a time, exchanging stories of what had happened since last they had seen one another. Legolas soaked up the news of his old home and family, his siblings in particular. He had not seen any of them in over two years.

But after a time, they had fallen silent. Legolas had felt the growing tension and knew in his gut that the things his father had come to say would be difficult to hear.

But he had never expected to hear his father say those words.

Legolas sat speechless and listened to Thranduil explain the discontent among their blended people. With the Shadow of Sauron and the fall of Dol Guldur, the Silvan people wished to return to their beloved mountains farther south. They had no wish to mingle with other races, but would fade into the hillsides and dales.

The Sindar, however long they had lived alongside and as one with their simpler kin, had grown restless. The call of the sea had not limited itself to Legolas alone. Most wished to depart.

Once the shock started to dissipate, an intense pain began to rise in Legolas's heart. This was not what he had expected, not the path he had seen his family taking. No, it was he that was to take his leave of them and ride away. It had hurt to think of leaving his family, but the opposite was unthinkable, unbearable.

"Legolas," Thranduil turned and met Legolas's gaze. "If I were not king, I would not go, but it is my duty to lead our people. Know I would stay with you as long as you remain if only I were able, if duty did not bind me…" Thranduil's voice broke. "I feel I am abandoning you," he finished in a hushed tone.

Legolas shook his head. "Never would you abandon your people, myself included, Adar. You are correct; you are duty bound to lead them, even into the West – but why now? What has brought this removing to the West so suddenly among our kin? The sea did not awaken within me until I heard the gulls, but they do not travel that far north."

Legolas searched his father's eyes, desperate for some way to keep his people and family where he had always known them to be. To consider the Halls of the Elvenking empty and crumbling was unthinkable. But he found no hope in that gaze and turned away.

"I do not know, Legolas. I cannot explain it other than that they have grown weary. The long battle against Sauron's darkness held them there, gave them purpose, but with Sauron destroyed…" He released a frustrated breath. "With the fall of Dol Guldur, something changed. Those who fled Doriath have begun to be afflicted with a strong desire for the sea and the Blessed Realm. It is not the same as what I see in you, not as strong, but no less compulsive. Some, perhaps hear the call, if faintly, and their families will not allow their loved ones to leave alone. But it is more an unrest, a feeling we do not belong to this world any longer. I feel it myself."

Legolas's eyes widened. His father had always been dedicated to holding Oropher's kingdom, to living as elves were always meant to live, to defending and protecting the forest they called home.

"The wood itself embraces the Men and welcomes them into its domain. I do not understand it, unless it is as Elrond says: this is the Age of Men."

Legolas understood that. He had seen it in his travels and his friendships with mortals. The older races endured, mingled and cohabitated, but their numbers dwindled. The Fourth Age of the world would bring great change. "I agree, but that does not mean we must leave. Not all of us."

"And the Silvans will stay having never truly answered the Call. Most of my father's people and their families will sail," Thranduil continued. "But there are some who will remain. It is their desire to relocate either here in Ithilien or to Imladris."

"They will be welcome here," Legolas agreed.

"If any of your own people desire to sail, they are welcome to travel with us."

Legolas heard the unspoken request in that statement, but refused to acknowledge it. He had made his choice to remain when the sea longing had first come upon him, and family or no family, Legolas would stay.

Thranduil paused a moment, to take a deep breath. "And so the Sindar will depart and the Silvan folk will resettle in the Mountains and fade into memory. They no longer have need of a king." He sank into a chair across from Legolas. "I am sorry, little one. Truly, I am. It is not what I expected either."

Legolas cleared his throat. "I did not know we still distinguished between our kindreds."

"Neither did I," Thranduil replied, making no effort to mask his pain.

"When?"

"In one year's time. We leave in the spring. It will be a time of new beginnings for our people. Many of the Silvan even now relocate. By Spring, I suspect most will be gone from the northern realm."

Legolas's eyes drifted to the window and the green leaves fluttering on the branches outside. His heart ached within him at these tidings. There was so little time to say goodbye, and too much time that he must yet remain. The one thing he had counted on having during his self-enforced lingering as he fought the sea longing was his family. Although he rarely saw them, just knowing they were there gave him strength.

But now he would lose them.

"I would have you come home, Legolas."

Legolas's head snapped up at that announcement, and he saw his father wince.

"Just for a time," Thranduil clarified.

He met his father's gaze with astonishment, realizing that Thranduil was not going to outright ask the painful and dreaded question Legolas had feared he might. Or worse, demand his obeisance.

It was with a true, compassionate tone his father said, "I dare not hope you will change your mind and come along, for I know your heart and promises. But I will ask you to come home for this year. For your sake as well as ours."

That request, stated in such a manner, decided Legolas in an instant. That Thranduil would not ask or even attempt to persuade, but would respect Legolas's choice to remain until Aragorn's passing spoke volumes.

A sad, slow smile tilted Legolas's lips, and he nodded in agreement. "I will announce these tidings this evening, and seek out any who would wish to sail with you. We will depart as soon as arrangements can be made, and I will stay in Eryn Lasgalen until you go. I also would have these last months with my family."

Legolas made no attempt to stop the sudden drip of tears that trickled down his cheeks. They were quickly brushed away by his father's fingers.

— ~ —

In early summer, a small group of elves made their way north to Eryn Lasgalen. The following spring, the Sindar of Eryn Lasgalen departed for the West.

As they crossed the bridge and rode down the path, the trees whispered farewells to all save one.

Only Legolas remained at the gates of the Elvenking's Halls, now empty of life and all he had known.

— ~ —


  Notes:

Adar - father

Gwirith - Sindarin for the month of April

Ascarnen (AHS-kar-nehn) is the elven settlement given to Legolas's rule by King Elessar in my Undying Friendship Series. The name means 'rushing water' and the settlement is named for the large, rocky stream nearby.

Eryn Lasgalen is the wood previously known as Greenwood the Great and Mirkwood. Renamed after the fall of Sauron and split between Thranduil, Celeborn and the Beornings and Woodsmen.

It is my own interpretation that the elves of Sindar descent would wish to sail so soon after the fall of Sauron, and that the Silvan folk would remove to the Mountains in the middle of the Wood.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List